Moparts

getting ready to buy air line kit few ????

Posted By: Moparnut426

getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/21/20 08:37 PM

SO I like the rapid air maxline kits, but debating on if I need the 3/4 line kit or if the 1/2 line kit will do enough.

I think Ill buy a base 100' 3/4 kit, and add on later if needed, advise or other experience is appreciated.

RIP Stu!
Posted By: 1E2C

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/21/20 09:21 PM

That's what I bought last year but I still haven't had a chance to install it....... lemme know how it works for you.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/21/20 09:47 PM

I cant see spending 135 bucks for a straightener roller set up so Im gonna make mine,

Ill keep you all posted
Posted By: markz528

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/22/20 12:53 AM

You running an air dryer? If not, in my opinion you want copper in order to cool the air to let the water separator work. The recommendation is 50 feet (I used 3/4) of copper pipe before the first drop/separator otherwise you are setting yourself up for water issues. When I went with the 50 ft of 3/4 copper it solved my water issues. It was bad in the summer.

I personally would never use this stuff.
Posted By: TJP

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/22/20 12:57 AM

The bigger line is always a better choice even if you don't need the flow now. You may later. I also agree on the copper twocents beer
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/22/20 01:22 AM

Lots of questions here, but what are you doing in your shop? We use the maxxair stuff all the time at work. It is so easy to work with and is super rugged. Most of our installs' go --air comp, jt drier, desiccant filter, and maybe a quick and dirty drip leg.

If copper is thought cheaper look at ALL the costs involved in both systems. I like how you can place a used fitting anywhere and it wont leak, and the maxxair line is easy and super quick to cut and bend.

Something else to note- we use all 1/2" stuff, but we supplement our runs with 3-5 gallon stainless tanks to provide immediate air pressure/volume to the direct source, and the system works! The tanks are bought cheap off ebay/amazon( for lowriders w air bag suspensuon) and we plumb for what the customer requires..
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/22/20 10:49 AM

Did mine over the winter with a heat exchanger from an AC unit and ran 3/4" black iron.
Posted By: moparx

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/22/20 12:47 PM

what do you guys use for a "vibration coupling" [i don't know what the correct name is] from the compressor to the hard line/drier/piping ?
i use[d] 1" black iron for long runs. as is the case around my shop, this "project" is still incomplete.
beer
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/22/20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Moparnut426
SO I like the rapid air maxline kits, but debating on if I need the 3/4 line kit or if the 1/2 line kit will do enough.

I think Ill buy a base 100' 3/4 kit, and add on later if needed, advise or other experience is appreciated.

RIP Stu!

Originally Posted by 1E2C
That's what I bought last year but I still haven't had a chance to install it....... lemme know how it works for you.

I got a 100' rapid air system myself. Sadly mine is still in the box too as I am trying to finish the last pieces in my garage. It will get installed once everything else is where I want it. Seems like decent stuff though!

I chose 1/2" line. 3/4" will lose more pressure over longer runs and the compressor will run more often to keep up the volume.

Probably obvious but plan to have a few different points where you can connect to so you're not wrangling hoses from one end of the shop to another. Consider putting one near a door so you can extend it outside when needed.

A drier/separator is a must! Until my Rapid Air system gets installed, I run an air hose directly from the compressor tank and A LOT of water gets into my tools. Surprised me the first time I saw how much there was, it was like turning on a hose instead of an air ratchet. Clearly not the best practice and only use it that way every so often.
Posted By: TJP

Re: getting ready to buy air line kit few ???? - 01/22/20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
what do you guys use for a "vibration coupling" [i don't know what the correct name is] from the compressor to the hard line/drier/piping ?
i use[d] 1" black iron for long runs. as is the case around my shop, this "project" is still incomplete.
beer

Rubber hose and fittings rated for the pressure + 50% or more. We have a hose supply nearby that handles our needs. I'm sure you can find what you need on line

beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums