Moparts

All hail the mighty tug!

Posted By: feets

All hail the mighty tug! - 01/20/20 03:38 PM

I put together a video showing the tug I built. Due to difficulties in loading the beast and uncooperative weather I was unable to do a demonstration drive prior to (or during) delivery. Instead, I hopped off the road at a dry point in the drive, shot a quick video before the cold front caught me, and got blown around by the wind.

Sorry for the poor audio. I did what I could with what I had.
At the end of the video I addressed the most common questions I got during the build and had a visual aid for clarity.

Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/20/20 04:00 PM

It is super cool, it looks great, and the attention to detail is fantastic. Well done. thumbs

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/20/20 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
It is super cool, it looks great, and the attention to detail is fantastic. Well done. thumbs

Thanks.

The attention to detail is from year of experience in the industry. I know what the techs need and did the best I could to provide it. There's nothing worse than an expensive tool that doesn't quite work right.
Posted By: moparx

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/20/20 04:20 PM

your talent shows mightily with this MIGHTY beast !
as said "WELL DONE !" up bow
beer
Posted By: topside

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/20/20 04:43 PM

"Pimp My Tug" is hysterical !
You should have your logo on that thing somewhere.
Few things are as enjoyable as an assemblage of good ideas that works.
Atta boy, Feets !

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/20/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by topside
You should have your logo on that thing somewhere.

I did but the camera didn't really pick it up. There's a Ridgewood Machine sticker (the one BruceA helped put together) on the bottom of the steering column. I thought putting it in a highly visible place would be in poor taste.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/20/20 11:52 PM

I am giving you an A. you really slacked off! It would have been an A Plus but the wheels shine on the dolly is just not up to par.
Looks Great Kevin

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/21/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
I am giving you an A. you really slacked off! It would have been an A Plus but the wheels shine on the dolly is just not up to par.
Looks Great Kevin

There was no money in the budget to import a coonass polisher. 😁

I was disappointed with them at first because of the dings and small gouges in the wheels. Then, I realized they are shipped in bulk and would lose their luster rather quickly in commercial use.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/21/20 04:15 AM

Great job Kevin
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/21/20 12:48 PM

And a cool, random '53-'54 Ford in the background of the segment showing the tow dolly!

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/21/20 12:49 PM

i missed that !
guess i'll watch the "movie" again.
beer
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/21/20 04:32 PM

Amazing what a little forethought and planning will do for a project. Looks good, better than the usual close enough. Bet the techs will take care of it too as it seems very well thought out by a tech hisself.
Now, want to make a wager that someone will try and outdo your tug project?

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/21/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by rustbuckett68
Amazing what a little forethought and planning will do for a project. Looks good, better than the usual close enough. Bet the techs will take care of it too as it seems very well thought out by a tech hisself.
Now, want to make a wager that someone will try and outdo your tug project?

Techs? Take care of something? HA! The young ones will see how far they can push it until it breaks. The more mature techs will respect it more.

As for outdoing it, that's a tall order. This this is already absurdly overpowered and meets all the requirements and then some. It came in at a very tasty price point too. Had I not found a sweet deal on the tug they would have been paying at least another $14,000. Trying to custom build something like this would be far more expensive and might have a higher cost of maintenance.

This was simply a lucky score on the right equipment at a low price and a fabricator who knows the industry very well.

Re: All hail the mighty tug! - 01/22/20 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by feets
This was simply a lucky score on the right equipment at a low price and a fabricator who knows the industry very well.

^^^^^^^^^ this in a nut shell.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums