Moparts

What is this tool?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

What is this tool? - 01/11/20 04:25 AM

I bought a toolbox full of stuff at a swap meet, and this one has me stumped. WHen I squeeze the handles, the "jaws" come together. Does any know what it is?
THanks,

Joel

Attached picture tool 1.jpg
Attached picture tool 2.jpg
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 04:29 AM

It's for piston rings...

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 04:50 AM

I was thinking that, but it shrinks when you squeeze it, not expands. How is that supposed to work?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 04:57 AM

It's a ring installer.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 05:09 AM

OK, from that picture, I see how it works. When the outer ends of the jaws are blocked from contracting by a piston ring, the inside jaws expand the gap. Without a ring in it, just operating it empty, it only contracts.

THanks!

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 06:16 AM

This is what my simple old one looks like. I think I'll like this new one better!

Attached picture download.jpg
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
This is what my simple old one looks like. I think I'll like this new one better!

You’ll like it LOTS bester!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 05:43 PM

I bought one like that to try and went back to my old way of putting them on by hand.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 08:35 PM

The first motor I ever put rings and bearings in, the owner bought me "all" the motor overhaul tools...A ring expandor (like the one pictured) a ring compressor, a ridge reamer, and a click style torque wrench.
I probably used the expandor on the first 3 or 4 motors and then just started putting the rings on by hand. Its probably sitting in one of the seldom opened drawers in my tool box, I haven't done motors for years. I could probably be persuaded to separate with it, should anyone feel a need to own one. grin Gene
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 09:09 PM

The cantilever design of the other tool spreads the ring gap more gracefully, this one is easier to break a ring from over-expanding it.

Re: What is this tool? - 01/11/20 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

You’ll like your NEW FOUND one LOTS bester!

To clarify .... fixed
Posted By: rhad

Re: What is this tool? - 01/12/20 04:17 AM

i just used expandable snap ring pliers
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What is this tool? - 01/12/20 06:17 AM

Joel, they work great until they don't work
My message is I have worn one out, I'm going to buy another one up
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: What is this tool? - 01/12/20 12:50 PM

I used to do rings by hand but always was worried about breaking a ring. The. One time, snap, I broke one. Not the end of the world but I’m a firm believer of right tool for the job. I went to parts place to by the simple ones shown with red handles. Parts guy was amazed anyone still worked on their own engines.

Re: What is this tool? - 01/12/20 08:55 PM

Ole CB wore one of the NEW FOUND ones out ? ... how many sets of rings was that ? eek

And breaking JSTA ONE RING can be a PITA ! Never happened to me but it did twice to bud in Michigan.

Buying ONE RING isn’t a PITA ? ... luckily when it happened to him my shop in Detroit was TWO DOORS away from a Sealed Power warehouse!
© 2024 Moparts Forums