Moparts

Swivel seats

Posted By: QuickDodge

Swivel seats - 12/31/19 02:31 AM

I read that Chrysler Corporation made some cars with swivel seats. Anyone know which models had this option?

Would these seats help an elderly person with mobility problems enter and exit a car?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 02:44 AM

For Plymouth at least, the word 'New' was used for 1959 - www.hamtramck-historical.com/vintageAdvertising/_1959PressKit-01.shtml?load_img=15
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 02:47 AM

1960 and 61 Imperials and 300’s had them. GM still made them in the late 70’s in the Grand Am.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 04:05 AM

And the Laguna
Posted By: C_B5

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 04:34 AM

The swivel seats were offered as an option from 1959-1961

They were available on many different models in Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge and Desoto as well as Imperials.
The seats could be ordered in both 2-door and 4-door models. Also with and without power seat tracks

They are desirable but not easy to find. A swivel seat core needing complete rebuild / restoration is minimum $500
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 05:23 AM

My buddies Laguna his brother got the car new at the same dealer that was on our street. His family got the car new so I know it came that way. We lived on the same street we grew up on. They looked like a 1972 Challenger seat pattern kinda.
PS now the site has a Blue Check Mark now wonder I do not come here often. And the Info Links opt-out only works for a day.
What a money grubbing site this place turned out to be.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 05:49 AM

the colonnade style GM intermediates from 1973-1977 had swivel bucket seats as an OPTION

Attached picture 1975-oldsmobile-cutlass-hurst-w30.jpg
Posted By: srt

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 10:16 AM

'60 dart phoenix definitely had them along with a oval (rounded-off rectangular) steering wheel and probably the most modernistic dash I can recall
Posted By: moparx

Re: Swivel seats - 12/31/19 05:42 PM

dum azz me. back in my junkyard days, i crushed a 60 300F that had those seats.
however, the long rams [plus all the exhaust parts including the manifolds] and the dual point tach drive distributor rest comfortably in my garage.
beer
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Swivel seats - 01/01/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
however, the long rams [plus all the exhaust parts including the manifolds] and the dual point tach drive distributor rest comfortably in my garage.
beer

Well, at least you didn't do it the other way around! shock wink
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Swivel seats - 01/01/20 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 6bblgt
the colonnade style GM intermediates from 1973-1977 had swivel bucket seats as an OPTION

I've had mid 70's Monte Carlos and Grand Prixs that had swivels too.
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Swivel seats - 01/01/20 03:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I like the looks of those swivel seats.

Anyone know why they quit making these seats?

Re: Swivel seats - 01/04/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by srt
'60 dart phoenix definitely had them along with a oval (rounded-off rectangular) steering wheel and probably the most modernistic dash I can recall

Just for the record Dodge NEVER offered the square steering wheel that was a Plymouth thing. Known as the “aero” steering wheel and available on 1960-61 Plymouth models.
There is an exception to this. The Dodge models manufactured for Canada used Plymouth interiors including the steering wheel. So it’s possible to show up on a Dodge.
Though that’s a completely new thread as the Canadian specific Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler and Plymouth model lines during the FL years were a combination of many different cars that didn’t exist in the US market.

And as a side note if you think e-body rimblow steering wheels are expensive, the prices on the aero wheels are even higher !

Re: Swivel seats - 01/04/20 06:42 PM

Since all the pictures included in this thread are for GM’s version here’s a 1960 Plymouth with swivel seat option.

Attached picture CE5687FB-DD02-4782-9F59-3CCE4949F4B5.jpeg
Posted By: FM3_1970

Re: Swivel seats - 01/08/20 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuickDodge
I read that Chrysler Corporation made some cars with swivel seats. Anyone know which models had this option?

Would these seats help an elderly person with mobility problems enter and exit a car?

IIRC, they weren't marketed as "mobility aids" but were supposed to help ladies in dresses "preserve their modesty" while exiting the vehicle. Leastways, I think that was the marketing point in an old Plymouth brochure I once read. That, and they were somehow "luxurious." shruggy
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Swivel seats - 01/08/20 11:06 PM

To answer your question Yes swivel seats help someone with mobility issues get in and out of a car. There are swivel cushions for seats that might be helpful.

Re: Swivel seats - 01/09/20 01:07 AM

Very interesting about the rounded off rectangular steering wheel. For a fact in Nor Cal in 1983 I had a red w/ white trim Dart Phoenix (believe 383) with white / red interior with the squared off rectangle steering wheel. It was somewhat odd and difficult to drive on curvy roads. It's etched in my mind and is identical to the blue one you posted, yet was red and clear. Kind of wished I kept that car as it was probably the most outlandish styling I've seen, and huge also.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Swivel seats - 01/09/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
beer

Well oleHam2 .... you said earlier you needed help moving stuff in your garage .... I’ll help you with that 300F stuff ... it will have a bester home here in Florida...

Re: Swivel seats - 01/09/20 03:55 PM

the "attached" hot rod has to go with the stuff DoC.
but first, i gotta get a ride in it. drive
beer

Re: Swivel seats - 01/09/20 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by srt
Very interesting about the rounded off rectangular steering wheel. For a fact in Nor Cal in 1983 I had a red w/ white trim Dart Phoenix (believe 383) with white / red interior with the squared off rectangle steering wheel. It was somewhat odd and difficult to drive on curvy roads. It's etched in my mind and is identical to the blue one you posted, yet was red and clear. Kind of wished I kept that car as it was probably the most outlandish styling I've seen, and huge also.

i have two of those rectangle wheels hanging in my garage, but they aren't the colored/chear version[s].
both are black. one is from a 60 imperial, and the other is from a 64 300.
they do take a bit to get used to when going down the road.
beer

Re: Swivel seats - 01/09/20 04:33 PM

I checked out dash pictures of the 60 dodge and plymouth models.
I'm going to say if my memory serves me right the dash was dodge and steering wheel plymouth. Swapped?
Speedometer was see through with the gauges in humps and the wheel the rectangular red clear.
Wonder what happened to that car?
Lastly, I wonder if the swivel out seat option was scrapped due to safety standards.

Re: Swivel seats - 01/11/20 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by srt

If the red & white square steering wheel looked like one of these, then it was a Plymouth wheel.
Again, if the Dodge was a Canadian model yes it could’ve had the same wheel and it would use the complete 1960 Plymouth dash too. (Regardless of which steering wheel standard or optional)

Here is 1960 Plymouth optional square steering wheel

Attached picture F193860B-AB09-49C0-8542-49FB67DA3861.jpeg

Re: Swivel seats - 01/11/20 07:34 PM

This is the 1961 Plymouth optional square steering wheel

Attached picture F0DC0DF3-9B1B-4AE7-9B8E-A29E0737C0C6.jpeg

Re: Swivel seats - 01/11/20 07:37 PM

And last the square style steering wheel used on Imperials which is not the same as the Plymouth ones

Attached picture C46F6FF4-8915-4803-BE8E-E79BE48BD80E.jpeg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Swivel seats - 01/11/20 08:40 PM

I can't imagine how the swivel seats would fair with the seat belt laws and front and side air bags these days. I'm sure they would be a difficult item to get approval from the National Safety Counsel for use in modern cars. Gene
Posted By: tallzag

Re: Swivel seats - 01/12/20 01:05 AM

To help with your point at least in 1960 the swivel seats automatically swiveled out when you opened the door. So basically if you got in a wreck and the door opened it would dump you out of the car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums