Moparts

Storing a Hood

Posted By: DusterKid

Storing a Hood - 12/30/19 07:08 PM

I am replacing the hood on my car and want to store the old one it in a way so it doesn't get damaged. I was thinking of making some brackets and hanging it on the side of the garage wall up out of the way. Curious as to what you guys have used to do this.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/30/19 07:17 PM

One thing to avoid is to never store one on the floor with the back end / cowl side down.

The weight of some hoods over time can damage the points.

I have a heavy hood in storage now, it is sitting on a side edge on top of a 2x4.
Posted By: markz528

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/30/19 07:18 PM

Don't have the hood in place in the picture, but you can see my holder. Works great...............

Attached picture New Garage 03.JPG
Posted By: markz528

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/30/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
One thing to avoid is to never store one on the floor with the back end / cowl side down.

The weight of some hoods over time can damage the points.

I have a heavy hood in storage now, it is sitting on a side edge on top of a 2x4.

Correct - mine sits on the edge.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/30/19 07:19 PM

Se it nose end down on blocks of wood with a string ran across it so it can't fall over.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/30/19 07:27 PM

I hung mine from my garage ceiling. Its totally out of the way that way and won't get bumped into.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/30/19 10:14 PM

if you have overhead room, that is what I would do.
they make some pretty inexpensive kayak holders that you can hoist it up with and then lower it if you ever need it. towards the front of the garage. That way you don't door ding it or bump into it with something as you move it around the garage.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/31/19 04:36 PM

Not a hood but I store the hardtop for my corvette on the ceiling. Totally out of the way and even forget it's there.

Attached picture IMG_1751-1.jpg
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Storing a Hood - 12/31/19 04:38 PM

put it in the rafters if you put it where you can see it, sooner or later it will get damaged!
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Storing a Hood - 01/01/20 06:30 AM

I have 2 they are fiberglass

Attached picture Garage2015.jpg
Attached picture Garage2014.jpg
Posted By: Old_Moparz

Re: Storing a Hood - 01/05/20 02:06 AM

Over the years I've stored many hoods by simply wrapping cardboard around each corner, taping it in place & leaning them up on the wall with sheets of cardboard or rigid foam in between them. Never do I ever put them on the ground with the cowl edge down, they are always on blocks of wood & on the left or right edge. The hood latches & associated parts are removed & kept in a box labeled for each one so there's no chance that one hood will be dented or gouged by another. Stretch film is cheap, a roll at Home Depot & Lowes is like $20 & is great to wrap edges to help keep the cardboard corner protectors on. A rope to keep them from tipping over is a good precaution.

Now that I think about it I bet I have 10 or 12 hoods in stock....LOL
© 2024 Moparts Forums