Moparts

Late 70's High School parking lot

Posted By: biggE

Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/20/19 03:36 PM

Cool picture

Attached picture IMG_0618 (2).png
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/20/19 04:48 PM

The employee parking at the restaraunt that I worked at with a bunch of high school kids like me:
My 70 383 four speed road runner, a Petty blue 340 3 speed Demon, 70 Charger RT 440 4 speed Dana, 69 Mach I with 4 speed, nice looking red 6 cyl Nova one of the girls drove. a mid 70's Firebird with 3 speed.

Probably some others I missed.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/20/19 05:53 PM

I graduated from high school in 1979 and there were some cool cars at my school. I had a '56 F100 with a 351C in it. My best friend had a '70 RoadRunner 440+6 four speed car with air grabber hood and Dana 60. Another buddy of mine had a 396 SS Chevellle. There was a guy who had a Hemi Cuda but I only saw it a couple of times, he didn't drive it very often. My brother had a '69 Torino Cobra with a 428CJ and a four speed. These were just all used cars that could be bought cheap. My brother only paid $300 for the Torino Cobra and it was a nice car. No rust, never been hit, engine ran okay but smoked a bit, the interior was clean, everything worked on it.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/20/19 06:30 PM

I graduated in '83. My high school parking lot had a '70 428 Mach 1 that got the 428 swapped out for a 427, a '70 Burnt Orange GTX with air grabber and four speed, a '69 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland, my '72 340 Challenger, another '73 340 Challenger, '68 Firebird with 350 Keystone Klassics and N50s, '70 Camero with N50s.

Before I bought my Challenger for $1200, a couple cars I went to look at in the same price range were a '69 Torino Cobra with a 428 SCJ, 4 speed, and 3.91s and a '67 400 GTO - both nice cars.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/20/19 10:07 PM

I left high school in 1975 and didn't graduate. There were only 600 students in the entire school so there weren't many cars there to begin with. I had a 66 Plymouth Satellite with a poly 318 I paid $45 for. laugh2 One buddy had a 69 Mach I with a 351C and another with a 68 Camaro SS convertible. Another had a 69 Torino and another with a 67 Cutlass, but the winner was a blonde named Mickey who had a blue and white 442 4-speed that she wouldn't let any of the boys drive! And one of my teachers had a 68 442 with the cool ram air ducts under the front bumper! up
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/20/19 10:24 PM

Yep! Great times! I had a 70 Chevelle but there was Road Runners,Super Bees, couple E-bodies,couple A-bodies(my cousin had a wicked 340 Duster),one buddy had a 69 Z28(302 car) his little brother had a split bumper Camaro, couple Mustangs, etc. Then there was the 4x4s. A good friend had a badass 69 GMC 3/4 ton. Most of the trucks had the gun racks in the back window and nobody got shot....crazy right??
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 02:13 AM

I was the odd man out in '84. The school wasn't big, but there was still a good mix of cars, Chevelles, Cudas, Camaros, Firebirds, etc, etc and me with my former NY State Police car...... laugh2 blush

*sigh*

drive
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

I was the odd man out in '84. The school wasn't big, but there was still a good mix of cars, Chevelles, Cudas, Camaros, Firebirds, etc, etc and me with my former NY State Police car...... laugh2 blush

*sigh*

drive

Dang man, you were the cool one in my book grin

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 03:34 AM

That is a great picture!
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 06:44 AM

Yeah, I'll call Bullschitt, someone has to : The polished Cragar wheels on the first two cars are mid 80's to early 90's, no arguing there.

What 17 year old kid figures out how to put a 6-71 on a car or has a Parent that gave it the go ahead? twocents I shouldn't ask: I'm sure one of you will reply that you went to school with some 17 year old genius that flunked every subject but could build a Nascar engine in a weekend while drinking a keg and did half the Cheerleaders. rolleyes

Fun to dream though isn't it? smirk

This is some lame '90's car show somewhere. Admit that when you showed up to school in the morning all of the Mopars never all parked together. We parked all over the place just to see who could park closest to the door. It was a disorganized free-for-all every day.

Hottest car in our parking lot was a 4 cylinder '89 Mustang (Her Dad was a Doctor) and a decent '81 305 Trans Am (His Dad was a bank manager). The cool vehicle was any Blunder Motors long box 2 wheel drive with 5 spoke Cragars, 295's, tinted light covers and "blue bottles". We attached a saying to it: "tint, boots, mags, 'n stereo". tonguue Losers that drove these Slowmobiles usually had a pillow on the seat to make themselves look taller or pulled the seat really far ahead to hug that steering wheel.

Some of your parking lot descriptions make it sound like slant six Volares, Newports, Datsuns, big 4 door Fords, and station wagons never existed? Is today's high school parking lots full of GT350's, Hellcats, Nissan GTR's and SRT's? Nope.

Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 07:17 AM

Must have been a "safe" parking lot where the windows are left open & all the cars are parked "precisely" spaced.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 07:35 AM

My high school parking lot had more Datsuns than Mopars
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Yeah, I'll call Bullschitt, someone has to : The polished Cragar wheels on the first two cars are mid 80's to early 90's, no arguing there.

What 17 year old kid figures out how to put a 6-71 on a car or has a Parent that gave it the go ahead? twocents I shouldn't ask: I'm sure one of you will reply that you went to school with some 17 year old genius that flunked every subject but could build a Nascar engine in a weekend while drinking a keg and did half the Cheerleaders. rolleyes

Fun to dream though isn't it? smirk

This is some lame '90's car show somewhere. Admit that when you showed up to school in the morning all of the Mopars never all parked together. We parked all over the place just to see who could park closest to the door. It was a disorganized free-for-all every day.

Hottest car in our parking lot was a 4 cylinder '89 Mustang (Her Dad was a Doctor) and a decent '81 305 Trans Am (His Dad was a bank manager). The cool vehicle was any Blunder Motors long box 2 wheel drive with 5 spoke Cragars, 295's, tinted light covers and "blue bottles". We attached a saying to it: "tint, boots, mags, 'n stereo". tonguue Losers that drove these Slowmobiles usually had a pillow on the seat to make themselves look taller or pulled the seat really far ahead to hug that steering wheel.

Some of your parking lot descriptions make it sound like slant six Volares, Newports, Datsuns, big 4 door Fords, and station wagons never existed? Is today's high school parking lots full of GT350's, Hellcats, Nissan GTR's and SRT's?
Nope.

Im glad Im not the only who who thought BS on the pic. Apps, programs, Photoshop and clickbait really fill the internet world with BS. But my HS had some nice original valuable cars owned by a students dad and lots of bondoed up pop can metal repaired posers with big rear tires. Great memories though.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 02:21 PM

Why am I not surprised to see this kind of post by Grizzly?

Whether the pic is BS or not (I'm one who thinks it is), late '70's early '80's there were cars close to this in our parking lots at school. Not EVERY car, but enough to make you long for those days.

And at my school at least, cars that were close to this caliber, were because the kid worked his a$$ off, not because it was funded by mommy and daddy. Where my school was, there were a lot of farms around, and it was usually the guys that lived and/or worked on those farms that had the better cars. Even if the pay sucked, they had the advantage over others in the experience they gained working with their hands and having to repair things to get a job done. Most farms had their own sort of shop usually giving the kid experience working with tools beyond a basic socket set.

One such kid had a '77 El Camino he built up. No blower, but it did have a tunnel ram on it. Car had been hit in front, he fixed the damage, painted it black, built the engine, and called it 'Second Chance'. No it wasn't a SEMA quality show car, but it was pretty impressive for being done by a teen.

To the other extreme, was the kid that had a mid-'70's Mustang Ghia (notchback) that looked like crap, but ran like stink because he swapped out the 4 banger for a V8 (used a wrecked cobra for parts).

And, a lot of the better cars would be parked off by themselves so that they wouldn't get damaged by regular cars and idiots that didn't care, so it kinda did give an appearance of a 'car show' at times.

Just my perspective from the school I went to. Your results will vary depending on where and when you went to HS.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 03:22 PM

I agree with Satellite73. If the hottest car in your parking lot was a 4 cyl Mustang driven by a girl, you went to the wrong school. That pic is BS but our lot was full of cars we all would like to have back today. Sure there was the junk piles but there was some hot stuff as well. Reading the replies here reminded me of a couple I forgot in my 1st post...like the Judge and the tunnel ram 66 Chevelle(last I heard that guy STILL has that car) Oh and the guy with the 69 GMC?.......his current stable consists of a Hemi Coronet Conv, a Hellcat and a blown alcohol Hemi powered 63 Dodge that runs in the 7s.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 03:28 PM

If that picture is a HS parking lot, it’s a weekend car show held in a HS parking lot. Note the car in the next row with the hood open for example.
But I call bullchitt on the contention that cool Mopars never parked together back then. I always parked my T/A in the far row adjacent to the road that my HS was on back in ‘79-‘80, and my friend Marty often parked his 70 F8 Roadrunner next to me, along with my friend Johns primer gray ‘70 Charger 500. We were sort of the outcast row at my snobby Chicago north shore suburb HS. Some of the rich spoiled kids had new Trans Ams. One kid had a 71 Superbee white with custom painted panels reminiscent of how many 70s custom vans were painted. A super quiet kid I never got to know drove a ‘69 Buick GS with slicks to school, since I never knew him I don’t know anything about the motor but it sounded healthy. Another kid had a brown 69 GTO. One rich kid I knew who didn’t have a new Trans Am drove a blue 69 Camaro RS, and one day he tells me he kept seeing a 69 pace car Camaro vert parked in front of a house in Chicago, and tracked down the owner and bought it from him for $4500. Then there was a azzhat jock who had a 71 Chevelle SS 402, one evening he was picking up his girlfriend after work at the grocery store I worked at, and shot off his cocky mouth at one of my friends who was a bag boy out retrieving carts, my friend went by his house in the middle of the night not long afterward and attacked the car with his wrist rocket and trashed it pretty good. I didn’t condone that activity, the car didn’t deserve it even if it was a Chevy. As for the jock, I have no sympathy for him, he really was an azz. But thankfully not an azz who was into Mopars!
When I was a freshman there were 2 grabber green 70 Boss 302s being driven to school by upperclassmen.
My T/A and me both somehow survived HS and still are around, but sadly several Mopars owned by classmates didn’t. One crazy kid named Scott bought a ‘71 B5 roadrunner he totaled within a couple months. The one that really bums me out was a solid Vanishing Point lookalike Challenger R/T 383 4 speed missing a fender that turned up sitting in front of a local gas station for sale for $800. My cars front seats were ripped up, and if nothing else I wanted the car just for its mint interior. But I wasn’t in a position to buy another car, and parents wouldn’t have allowed it in the driveway. This loser from my class named Jeff bought it, and shortly afterwards some of his “friends” attacked it with hammers and wrecked it. I went over to his house after I heard that to see if he still had it and would sell me the seats but his dad told me to go away when I knocked on his door.
I hated my HS and most of the snobby kids there, but do have fond memories of some of the cars! I wish I had borrowed my dads camera and took some pictures...
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 04:08 PM

I do know my high school on some days would of made people think, some of the easy ones to recall is a nice blown chevy II, my tunnel rammed hemi bee, or my six pack 70 runner. My friends daily driver a 440-6 in a 73 cuda and on nicer days his 70 shaker 440-6, that one his dads car. One car I was always racing after school was a early 70-s camero with a nash 5 speed and some soft tires for the day and ran well. A boss 351 mustang, like a 71 mach1? maybe. A few 340 a body 4 speed cars. And although the gearhead crowd wasnt too big for a school of 800 kids there were about 20 muscle cars on any givin day if you count the couple early-mid 70-s trans am-s. A old Monte Carlo with a 427 tri power vette motor we put in (he later went on to crash it and kill three female riders he just met in that car and did 5 years for that) wish we would of geared it alot lower.

So there was almost always a grudge race or two at the end of the school week, I recall going to the chrysler dealership on a friday night to get me a 4:10 ring and pinion because the nash camero would holeshot me by two cars and hold it with my 3:55 gear, I did beat him but it took the old school 727 launch and a chipped ring gear in the end but i got him.

There were a good many CJ jeeps, ramchargers and other 4x4s that were the in thing, It had to be like 78-79 cause one rich kid had a new jean machine truck and would try to beat it senseless.

No vans I can recall, GYM teacher was hot and she drove a challenger t/a and a smokey and the bandit t/a on nicer days.

Them were fun times.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 04:09 PM

buddy of mine had a '68 Camaro. Nuther had a '69 Mustang. I had my '69 Firebird with the SOHC Six. The rest were everyday grocery getters. Had one teacher that lived close to the Jr High and would drive his 'stock '57 Chevy to school occasionally, and another that had a '70 T Bird, but our lot never looked like that one.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 04:29 PM

I am one who didn't take it as necessarily literal, but maybe what you'd call a caricature with cool cars and using exaggeration to show how times have changed.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/21/19 11:40 PM

Let's see - going back to 1975 in our old HS parking lot on a given day: Yoksich brothers were big Mopar guys: one had a mint really low-mile 1969 Hemi RR (car got stolen out of the parking lot one morning & never found), the other had a Vitamin C 70 Cuda 440-6 shaker 4-speed, Bob O. had a mint original 1969 GTX - that car also got stolen & never found, Doug M. had a '69 Chevelle 396, Mike D. had a 70-1/2 X-28, Kevin F. had a 71 Barracuda, George K. had a gold '69 Mach 1 428 CJ - he would always win the-burn out contest with that car, Joe P. had a yellow 1971 Mach 1 with Mickey Thompson 50's & traction bars, Rob.R. had a new 1974 Trans Am. Yeah, there were some really cool cars kids could afford. Someone near our high school had a 1969 Trans Am convertible, there was a yellow Superbird parked in a driveway, there was a white 1971 Mach 1 I'd walk past every day on the way to school - had "351 RAM-AIR" on the hood - I remember these things like it was yesterday.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Admit that when you showed up to school in the morning all of the Mopars never all parked together. We parked all over the place just to see who could park closest to the door. It was a disorganized free-for-all every day.

I went to high school in the 90s. Most of the old cars in the lot seemed to park in the same 2 rows that faced each other. There weren't many Mopars though. There was a Purple 67 Impala, 68 Mercury Cyclone GT notchback ( I can't even find a picture of one that isn't a fastback.), 66 Dodge D200 Camper Special, mid 70s El Camino, 68 Chevy C10, 71 Pontiac LeMans (driven by a girl), 80s Chevy trucks, late 80s Thunderbird 5.0.

There was kid who got a 67 El Camino and crashed it into a tree out front. After that he drove a 70 nova 4 door and then a Opel GT. He also drove his dad's 71 Chevy C10 w/ a 402.

There were a few vehicles that were never in the parking lot, but were brought into the auto shop to install/remove engines and then parked out back. One was a 69 Firebird and another was a 76 Ramcharger that the body was pulled off to make a off-roading vehicle with a 39 GMC cab. One kid built an engine for his dad's 59 Ford Fairlane w/ a retractable roof. I remember a 69 Nova in there too.

I also remember someone had a Dodge D50 that was lowered and hit a parking lot approach smashing the front end.

There were 2 new trucks in the lot as well, a new 94-95 Dodge Ram and a new Chevy 2500 w/ a plow. The plow truck was said to be purchased by the stripper girlfriend of the owner.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 02:06 AM

Another thing to remember is that this was also back when these cars were 'just' cars and not someones 401K. Cars and parts could be had easier. I (very) briefly owned a trashed but running and driving slant six powered '70 Barracuda back in '83. Paid all of $400 for it. BUT, unlike now, there was very little (if any) replacement sheet metal (or restoration parts in general) from the after market. And, this was also before MIG welders were readily available to the public. A lot of cars got hacked or junked early because of this (re: my Barracuda).

Yeah, we like to look back with rose colored glasses, but not everything was great.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by basketcase
I had my '69 Firebird with the SOHC Six.

Those cars were cool! My brother had a low mileage beauty that ended up meeting with a light pole...shame.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

Another thing to remember is that this was also back when these cars were 'just' cars and not someones 401K. Cars and parts could be had easier. I (very) briefly owned a trashed but running and driving slant six powered '70 Barracuda back in '83. Paid all of $400 for it. BUT, unlike now, there was very little (if any) replacement sheet metal (or restoration parts in general) from the after market. And, this was also before MIG welders were readily available to the public. A lot of cars got hacked or junked early because of this (re: my Barracuda).

Yeah, we like to look back with rose colored glasses, but not everything was great.

Again I agree! The comment about if high school parking lots are now being filled with Hellcats and GT500s was silly. Those are 50k plus cars. Back in the 70s and early 80s muscle cars were easily had for minimal money. I also had a 70 e-body that I paid $500 for. It was a pos at that time but by todays standards I could have retired on what it would bring.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Soopernaut
68 Mercury Cyclone GT notchback ( I can't even find a picture of one that isn't a fastback.),

I looked it up and there were only 334 of these ever made.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by basketcase
I had my '69 Firebird with the SOHC Six.

Those cars were cool! My brother had a low mileage beauty that ended up meeting with a light pole...shame.

paid $100 of my own money (1980) and drove it home.Had it about a year. Needed lower 1/4s. Sold it to buy another car, new kid plowed into a pole within a week.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 02:38 PM

This picture was taken in May of 1970, the year I graduated from High School.
1969 red Swinger 340-4 speed that snot nosed Roger Turners' mother bought brand new for him for making it to Grade 12.
1968 Cougar convertible seen beside it owned by another classmate.
Everybody but Roger drove that car, because he couldn't drive his finger up his nose.
It was brand new but never sold until spring of 1970 as a 'demo with miles on it'.
The Chrysler dealership just down the street from the school was owned by Maurice Peters, a real gearhead.
We would walk down to the dealership at lunch in the fall of 69 or spring of 70 and as long as someone had their drivers licence, he would throw us the keys to that Swinger and say 'take it for a drive and see what you think.'
I bet 40 kids pounded that car....is a wonder it never got wrecked.
We had a 2 mile straight stretch on the Parkway were everyone went.
That car resulted in getting me hooked on Mopars..
Maurice replaced the rear tires twice and at least one clutch before that car was bought sitting on the back lot by Mrs Turner.
We had lots of older hot rodded cars driven to school in those days but nobody had the dough to buy anything new,
and the few parents who had a muscle car would not let their kids drive them to school.
I drove my 51 Ford convertible, flat head, 3 deuces, 3 in the tree. complete with lowering blocks and cruiser skirts to my graduation that year.

Attached picture z002.jpg
Attached picture 51conv4.JPG
Posted By: topside

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 03:05 PM

Ah, high school; I graduated June 1969, Granada Hills, CA.
By 12th grade, I had a '64 Corvair, a buddy had a '57 Ford and then a '66 Chevelle, another a '63 Impala, another a '64 Dodge 330, yet another a '67 GTO, but I don't recall much other cool stuff in the parking lot...

EXCEPT.

A buddy got a silver Hemi/auto '68 RR coupe, 1st RR I'd seen & very early in production, from his parents. He always drove it carefully, just cruised it around.
Later on he fooled with the cosmetics a bit, adding stripes.
One other kid, whose father was well off, in '68 got a dark green GTX, black VT & interior, and he kept that car immaculate.
Then the next year, he shows up with a '69 Charger, light yellow, black interior, Hemi badges on the doors. Also always immaculate.
Those were the big deal in the lot.
I've always wondered where those 3 cars are now.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 03:43 PM

The one I will never forget was a 70 340 4-speed Cuda that a jock had. A few friends went out and got drunk going down the "toke path" that was a road following the Wabash river that we all drove and was quite twisty. I believe it was 1976 when they lost control and went off the road at around 100 mph and hit the trees. Three died and one lost his arm at the shoulder! eek He was always a daredevil after that, he thought he should have died with his friends. frown I tripped over the broken pistol grip shifter handle in the local junkyard almost exactly a year after the wreck... angel
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 04:32 PM

I will need to look for pics of my 73-71 duster 340 LOL. I changed the grill HS style. made it fit. it had a tunnel ram, auto W/ stall converter. Keystones. and was the best I could do in HS. but a 6-71 Blower was on my mind. so I was close but it was a few years later that this happened. and it is the Hemi I still have in my HS car 1969 Coronet R/T.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 04:45 PM

Some very cool pics. I had a '67 D100 stepside poly 318 three-on-the-tree. Not a muscle car, but 4.10 gears and a very cool old truck. It was the 80's and I was an absolute Mopar fanatic. A buddy Gordon W. had an orange '70 Super Bee 383 pistol grip. Charlie B. had a 66 Chebby truck also stepside with a built 327. I remember Barry B's 340 Duster, another friend with a stock '70 Dart swinger 318 but it was cool! Every one of these guys worked on their own cars, and didn't put all their money into a sound system that rattled the chrome, and completely forget performance.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 05:43 PM

Agree the photo is a bit of BS for high school unless it was a very affluent school, and its unlikely those high schools would have had much in the way of muscle cars. Vettes and sports cars maybe.

I graduated in '83. I had a very clean and nice '68 Road Runner. There were a couple other clapped out and primered mopars at school. There was a group of us that all parked together at the far end of the parking lot to avoid the general population parking idjits. In this bunch was my Road Runner, a '68 SS396 Chevelle, a '70 SCJ Mustang, a very nice V8 Vega, an Olds W machine, a really nice '65 fastback Mustang with a 289 Hi Po along with a gaggle of the most prolific high school vehicles, 65-67 Mustang coupes.

The vast majority of the student body was driving more pedestrian version of the cool cars made from 65-78. We also had a pretty equal amount of imports with Honda and Datsun being the primary brands in that catagory.

Nobody had blowers, although there was a set of Cragar SSTs on one of the Mustangs. One guy was even able to wheel and deal a set of Centerlines because of his swap meet work and employee discount at Super Shops.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 05:54 PM

I rode the bus to high school until graduating in '77... wasn't old enough for a driver's license and my father would not have paid the insurance rates for a teenage boy anyway!
But a friend of mine had a 396-powered Chevelle that was pretty zippy.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 06:41 PM

I didn't have a car until my senior year. Even then, I had to beg my dad to let me buy one with all my own money (truly earned by me by mowing lawns and working at a Marina after school and weekends). I paid my insurance too. My dad only let me buy it because I had so many lawns and getting to and from was getting very impractical.

The student bike racks were much more full than student parking. Not that way anymore!!! They have had to expand student parking at my high school several times since I graduated.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 06:50 PM

My HS had a lot of cool cars . My family had a 69 RR, 73 Cuda, 340 Duster, 71 Charger. Friends had a TA Challenger, 69 Super Bee, Mustang GT 350, Challengers, 69 big block Chevelle's, a few Goats. You have to remember in 78-80 these cars weren't selling for much.. Boy we had a blast and had lots of street races.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 06:59 PM

The HS I went to was too far out in the sticks for anyone to ride a bicycle to. There wasn't even a place to park bikes.

Motorcycles on the other hand..........there were a couple.

I didn't have a problem with my parents letting me buy my own car, part of that was because the very first car I had, they helped me get, and we got burned kinda bad on it. I guess the thought was to see how I'd do on my own, with no input from them. I ended up buying (for CHEAP) a rusty '73 Satellite Sebring with a bad torque converter (snout was broken, sounded like a rod knock). I had to fix it myself. I couldn't afford a repair shop to do it. Learned a lot because of that car in the short time I owned it. I didn't get burned like the with the first ride, but, there was much more wrong with the car than I realized and being so rusty, it got junked. Had a lot of fun with it too.

In the time I was in HS, I went from a '68 Dart 270 (4dr), to the Satellite, bought but never drove the '70 Barracuda, and ended with a '77 Gran Fury cop car. The cop car cost me the most at $500.

*sigh*
Posted By: -Cuda

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 08:14 PM

Late 80s I was driving a 73 340 RR. There were a few 60s camaros and mustangs. I got tired of poor gas mileage and reliability and bought a brand new s-10 p/u with my Walmart job. I wish I still had that truck. Amazing what could be done in one of those even with a 5 speed shifter in the way.

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 08:25 PM

As was the case everywhere I guess, there were very few Mopars at my high school. Mostly chebby and phord guys. I was such a Mopar fanatic (still am of course) that people started calling me "Mopar", and it made it to the yearbook. Under my picture and between first and last name is "Mopar" smile Still don't know who got that done!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 08:40 PM

Class of 77 here. I had a 67 Camaro SS 4 speed. We had a 70 LS6 Chevelle that often wore slicks to school. Several Camaros, a 73 TransAm 455, a hemi superbee and A12 runner. A 390 GTA Mustang that was a total dog.

One kid brought his old mans 76 Turbo Carrera to school a few times, hands down the coolest car in the lot ever.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 08:51 PM

There were a few muscle cars in my school parking lot ( graduated 1978 )

Best one was a friends lime green superbird. That car had some deep dish cragers on all 4 corners . 440 six barrel 4 spd. Im still friends with him and he owns a few superbirds ,,,just no longer owns that one

There was a 1966 Charger that had hemi emblems on it but the car had a 440 and 4 spd in it , red with white interior . I was told it was an original hemi car but didnt know how to ck back then
I started my senior year in a white 1966 Pontiac Lemans. ended it with a 1967 Cougar 390 auto ( that car was real hard on rear tires btw ,, no idea why)

There was a kid whose parents owned a GM dealership back then and he always drove some neat stuff. One was a later 70s Chevy Monza 350 auto. I rode in it a few times ad man that car would fly

Guy one year ahead of me drove an orange 1969 Z28 Camaro. his parents bought new. Over the years Ive wondered if the family still owns it

my freshman year there was a green 1969 hemi roadrunner I spotted a few times. ,,,,,That I ended up buying several years after high school ,,less engine.
I found out a few years after school the car had a 383 in it at that time as the Original engine was blown up ( twice ) early on. so they put the 383 in it to keep it driveable.
A few years after I got the car, I got wind the original engine was laying on the floor in a local small town garage but when I went looking for it the shop owner had recently passed and all the shops contents were scrapped .
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 12/22/19 10:57 PM

Similar here.. in my class there was me with a 70 440 Cuda (46 willys as a winter car) and one kid had a 70 GTO, other than that /6 dusters and alike. bunch of pickups too

Attached picture cuda.jpg
Attached picture jeep.jpg
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/22/20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
The one I will never forget was a 70 340 4-speed Cuda that a jock had. A few friends went out and got drunk going down the "toke path" that was a road following the Wabash river that we all drove and was quite twisty. I believe it was 1976 when they lost control and went off the road at around 100 mph and hit the trees. Three died and one lost his arm at the shoulder! eek He was always a daredevil after that, he thought he should have died with his friends. frown I tripped over the broken pistol grip shifter handle in the local junkyard almost exactly a year after the wreck... angel

My dad told me of a similar story, a 6-pack 71 RR or challenger, forget now. The guy was out at the street race spot doing solo passes but kept going, or the throttle hung and went straight off the end of the road into the trees and died. They developed the area now but even back in the early 2000's you could still see all the trees in there the car cut in half when it went in.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/22/20 04:01 PM

Guy named Bob O. had a really mint low-mileage 69 GTX 440 - green car. I think it had less than 20,000 miles on it. This was back around 1974. It got stolen out of his parents' driveway & never found. I remember hearing about many nice musclecars back in the early-mid 70's that were stolen. One of my wife's uncles worked for Ford & bought a new 71 Mach 1 351. That car was stolen 3 times, & recovered all 3. He finally traded it in - too much stress!
Posted By: Neil

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/22/20 04:30 PM

In the early 90's at my school there were only maybe 5-7 old muscle cars. Some were junkers and a couple were father and son projects and were pretty decent. The school I went to was in a well-to-do area so many kids had newer cars their parents bought for them. Many of those kids thought old cars were for poor, or people too dumb to be like them. Today at the same school I bet there are zero muscle cars in the parking lot. They can't afford them and/or are not interested in them.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/22/20 05:07 PM

My high school parking lot was limited to a certain amount of spaces and you had to apply for a permit. If you didn`t have a permit then you had to park along the street in the neighbor hood. Most of the muscle cars were not in the school parking lot so the photo of the late 70`s parking lot probably never happened at my school. We did have Nova`s, Camaros, Torino's etc outside the school at different times but not many mopars. I do remember a cool 72 Duster I always liked. I`m sure it could of happened elsewhere but not likely at my school during those years.
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/22/20 07:45 PM

I graduated in 79 and it seems like everybody had a muscle car in high school. I had a 70 road runner, airgrabber, 4 spd, console and buckets. Other examples were a guy with a 67 R/T built to the max but driven at 20 MPH most of the time, a 440 'cuda, loads of mustangs and Torinos.

Thinking of muscle cars in a school parking lot brought this photo to mind though:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/23/20 12:37 AM

Graduates in 1987 - no musclecars of note at all in a good sized parking lot. One slant 6 duster and one small block Chevelle. By my time, friends had Mustang IIs, EXPs, an Impala, even I only had a /6 Valiant sedan.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/23/20 01:18 AM

My school car.
1973 Duster as had the E body but was working on it
And the year after.
The funny thing was I sold a member here a set of Small block X heads ready to bolt on his dad came with him. They said they used to go to the same street races I did.
He says they had a really crappy Challenger that was beating up cars left and right.
I said what it look like? He said bad no front bumper front was dark gray or black and rest was light gray primer. But had a large cam and lots of gear. It would float the fronts if it had the cheater slicks on and if not just smoke um.
I grabbed some pics and said if this was the car that was me

Attached picture 00My1970Duster.jpg
Attached picture 1My72_20430622.jpg
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/23/20 01:20 AM

Stopping on way home from school to remove the evidence....

penguin

[Linked Image]

And from there you might have drove by and saw this...

wrench

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/24/20 11:19 PM

I graduated in '83...so one friend had a gold '69 camaro SS, another had a tan '73 nova 350 (got it from his gramma), another friend had a green '72 gremlim, I had a burghundy '75 Newport 2 dr. with the cool Indian aztec cloth seats! Another friend from auto shop class, had a brown lifted, early '70's F250 long bed truck, and a 460 with loud exhaust, along with another classmate from shop, that owned a pea green '72 notchback mustang....he added a nitrous kit to the bone STOCK 302...LOL fan and the typical station wagons, and rusted out piles dotting the parking lot.
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/25/20 02:55 PM

That picture pops up on Facebook all the time. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but that was a pic from the 1982 Car Craft Street Machine Nationals in Springfield, IL. Here's another pic of Larry Pelt's Road Runner from that same day.

Larry passed away a few years ago, but his daughter Maggie is now the caretaker of the car.

Attached picture Larry Pelts RR 1982 SM Nats.jpg
Posted By: fal3

Re: Late 70's High School parking lot - 01/25/20 10:50 PM

Went to school out on Long Island, early 70's. I remember seeing a lot of 4 door Chevy Impalas, Ford Galaxies, big Buicks and Oldsmobile. Only Mopars I remember seeing were Valiants, Furys. Basically, if you could afford a car, you were driving in an old 4dr family sedan. Only cool car was a guy owned a'63 2dr Impala. Don't know what he had under the hood, but he could do a burnout with little effort.
© 2024 Moparts Forums