Moparts

Retire in Ohio?

Posted By: RTSE4ME

Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 06:38 PM

I am just starting think of places to retire. I hate hot and humid weather so nothing further south than where I am. I can tolerate a month or 2. I like the change of seasons and winter/snow.
Things important to me:
1. Race tracks nearby
2. 2A friendly
3. Not hot- Did I mention I hate hot weather.
I spent a few years in Colorado Springs in the 80s and really liked it there but it is a bit far from family & friends.
So I thought Ohio would be nice. Am I stupid to want to retire there? Never spent any time there.
Looks like I can get a nice piece of land (30-50 acres) for a reasonable price compared to where I am living now.
I was looking outside the Columbus area.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 06:48 PM

I`m not sure Columbus weather is any different from here in maryland. Yes, I hate hot humid weather also.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 06:59 PM

I grew up in Cincinnati, that area has a lot to offer and worth looking at if your interested in Ohio. Nice local dragstrip in Cleves called Edgwater, easy to drive to Columbus and Indy for bigger tracks and Mopar Nats, easy drive to Louisville for SRN, easy drive to Lexington and also Somerset for the monthly Somernites Cruise (great show), also a small track in Clay City Ky that has a few good meets at it. Great restaurants in the area, plenty of music venues including Cincinnati Music Hall that is a world class facility and considered the best acoustics in the world at the moment. Pro Baseball in the Reds and they have a football organization in the Bengals (Im not an NFL Fan), pro soccer too. Close to Kings Island, Riverbend etc. Some nice suburbs around Cincinnati too. Great Pizza in LaRosas and of course Skyline Chili (its an acquired taste), CVG is a nice airport to fly in and out of and the drive to Fla and South Carolina for the beach isn't bad at all. Winters are a bid more mild in Cincinnati than the rest of Ohio, even Dayton will get more than Cincy on a lot of occasions. Speaking of Dayton, easy drive with an awesome air show and museum at Wright Patterson air base.
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 07:41 PM

I believe Ohio is a very tax-heavy State. With lots of local government initiatives and general property taxes.

If you are looking for some acreage, that means you aren't needed to live within minutes of a track necessarily.

I would consider eastern Indiana near the Interstate that feeds into Columbus (70? 74?). That would get you to Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Raceway Park, as well as what Ohio has to offer.

That part of the State is too flat for my liking. Indiana state laws can be pretty restrictive on permitting local governments to create burdensome taxes. There are very little zoo tax library tax, etc in the form of initiatives to bring in millions of dollars for each pet project. I would check that our pretty closely.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 09:45 PM

can't really comment on taxes...been here forever, and property tax was included in mortgage. so far since we paid the house off I think they aren't bad.
June-August and sometimes into September can have stretches of hot and humid. Nats are in Columbus. 5 hours from Carlisle. Cedar Point and Kings Island (and Kennywood in Pittsburgh) for amusement parks. The US Air Force Museum is in Dayton ,Four Buildings, if you have any kind of aircraft interest. Winters aren't like they were when I was growing up ....snow today gone tomorrow or the the next, unless you're near Lake Erie then there is more snow.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 09:53 PM

I feel similar as you. I'm destined to be a Midwest guy for family/cultural similarities/weather reasons as well. I've lived in Michigan, Ohio, and now Pennsylvania. Like them all actually. Cannot speak to the financial difference in any great detail, but PA seems more costly and more regulatory burdens.

I spend time in Kentucky and West Virginia. Also pretty states and would be on my short list too. We liked Cincinnati, but might look just west in Indiana, or south in Kentucky. Those states might be less costly and less rules than Ohio. Spring is a couple weeks earlier, and fall a couple weeks later, which I like, relative to Pittsburgh.

Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 09:54 PM

I grew up in the west side of the Cincinnati area, and concur with the mentions of Edgewater being a cool track. I moved to Indiana so that I could afford some land and a bigger place. Property taxes on house and land are cheaper, as well as real estate prices in general. Indiana does tax you on personal property like vehicle values and such, so that was a little different. The suburbs and rural areas in Ohio and Indiana are nice places to live. Weather-wise, I'd stay south of Interstate 70.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
I am just starting think of places to retire. I hate hot and humid weather so nothing further south than where I am. I can tolerate a month or 2. I like the change of seasons and winter/snow.
Things important to me:
1. Race tracks nearby
2. 2A friendly
3. Not hot- Did I mention I hate hot weather.
I spent a few years in Colorado Springs in the 80s and really liked it there but it is a bit far from family & friends.
So I thought Ohio would be nice. Am I stupid to want to retire there? Never spent any time there.
Looks like I can get a nice piece of land (30-50 acres) for a reasonable price compared to where I am living now.
I was looking outside the Columbus area.

We are looking in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky. Very tax friendly and the general cost of living is low. However I don't care about a race track, I want to be in the mountains, secluded and left alone. I am seriously considering a place where we are able to at least live off the grid if need be.
Posted By: Doc Fiberglass

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 10:00 PM

Roger DODGER ... it DOES take a basket case to even consider retiring to Ohio ORE Meeeeeeeechigan !

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 10:11 PM

Come on you Snow Flakes .... HUMIDITY?.... look at what you apimp can get as far as that goes .... it’s gonna be worseER up there than it is here !

That poor RR ... he’s gonna be dealing with 105 ACTUAL in a couple of days ! YES it’s a bit humid now BUT DAMN ......

thimk about October through May .... EIGHT MONTHS of some of the most beautiful weather anywhere!

There’s still room here in Florida .... but some peeps from Ohio need special permission to cross the state line !! 😁

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 10:29 PM

And to that Florida fiddler ! ..... be careful tsk

I heard through the gRaPeViNe that if you exit Florida to retire elsewhere..... they RED FLAG your car and if you attempt reentry ... they will greet you with STOP STICKS ! grin

Attached picture 6C00D1CD-8C43-4A91-9EF5-73034C64A0C7.png

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 10:48 PM

I ain't worried about re entry, I've always wanted to live in the mountains but since I'm not independently wealthy I've had to wait until the final chapter of my life is being written. I will miss my sons though.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 10:52 PM

Personally Im not a fan of the surrounding Columbus area myself.
If the Cincy are is ok, but IMO not much better than Columbus. I born and raised in northern Ky. ( recently moved to AZ ,,,long story )

But, IMO if your thinking Cincinnati or northern KY area . Trust me Your property dollars will go much farther in south eastern Indiana. . If your look closer to Indianapolis area values rise rapidly.
Northern Tenn is nice as well. But I think I would stay north of Knoxville. Or might look outside the Nashville Tn area.

Ive grown tired of winters . Northern KY, southern Ohio area doesn't get much snow. Its just cold , dark and rainy seems like to me anymore. To me it was just depressing.
Last year decided I had enough. Opportunities arose out here and we made the move. We sold our house in 11 days and headed west.
NOW, dot get me wrong this local isnt perfet by any means ( we had hit temps of 110 yesterday ,) but step in the shade ir feels like it drops 10 degrees , or as soon as the sun goes down it feels like it drops 30 degrees . But the other 9 or 10 months its just plain NICE
Posted By: jcc

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 11:05 PM

On my trip to Carlisle, I drove thru, Fla. Ala, Tenn. Kentucky, Ohio, Penn. Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Ga.

Worst roads by far, Ohio. flame

I suggest take a horse.

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
On my trip to Carlisle, I drove thru, Fla. Ala, Tenn. Kentucky, Ohio, Penn. Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Ga.

Worst roads by far, Ohio. flame

I suggest take a horse.

Did you avoid West Virginia on purpose? laugh2
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/17/19 11:48 PM

I live within 15-20 minutes of Columbus in a suburb.

As far as race tracks, Mount Vernon is 45 miles away, Trails is 32, Marion County is 52, Kil-Kare is about 1:15 hours away, Dragway 42 is about 1:45 hours away, Norwalk is about 2 hours away, Edgewater from what I can remember (been a long time) is about 2:30 hours away. I'm sure I'm missing some. Norwalk is the nicest track I've been to ever in any state. Dragway 42 is very nice since they re-did it. Trails is decent- nice track but, the grounds could use some work. The others are okay too. Marion is a crap hole but, is a lot of fun; I try to go once a year. They just have odd stuff running at Marion that is fun to see.

Taxes around me suck. I live in an older neighborhood with large lots for the area but, I have a small home. My taxes are $2600 a year which is fine by me but, right down the street in both directions, I know people that pay upwards of $8500 a year. The taxes for some of the nicer homes that I know of around my area are around $30k a year.

The nice thing is though, there are areas between 20 minutes to 1:15 hours away that are more rural where taxes are great and the land is beautiful. We have friends that bought a 1600 or so sq. foot home on 3.5 acres in Utica and they pay $1600 a year in taxes. I believe they paid around $160k for the property which I think is very reasonable too.

The weather is not bad in relation to other areas of the country. The last 8-10 years, I've begun to be thankful for our weather because we never really get crazy weather events. As a generalization, there are no floods, tornados etc. that cause catestrophic damage or that displace you. An occasional hail storm is all I've ever had to deal with in our area. Around this time of the year until late August or early September, we do get some bad heat but, again, in relation to other areas of the country, it could be much worse. For the next 4 days, the temps are going to be in the low to mid 90's. For the most part and again, relatively speaking, the humidity is not bad. My brother lives in NC, if you want to take about humidity, go there.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 12:48 AM

Currently in northeast Ohio but been planning to retire along the river, probably closer to say steubenville than Marietta. Actually a good variety of properties, smaller city lots with low taxes or bigger country lots with low taxes. How close do you want to be to neighbors? How big a lot do you want to take care of?

You want low humidity? Move to Arizona.

I know about Friendship raceway near steubenville but never been there. 42 isn't far Thompson isn't fat. But far is relative, im talking within 2 hours. Not sure what might be in West Virginia.

Really need more details on what you're looking for.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 01:33 AM

I like NE Ohio and don't plan on leaving permanently. I will winter in Florida because I hate snow. To me Ohio's taxes are not a problem. Where I live I have 9 tracks within 2 hrs, 3 within 30-45 minutes. Cleveland is an hr north, Columbus about 2 hrs SW and Pittsburgh is 90 minutes away.

There are areas north of Columbus where land isn't crazy expensive. If you go further east closer to Rt 77 Coshocton, Cadiz etc you can get nice land with rolling hills, woods, lakes creeks running thru them. Just depends how close you want to be to a large metropolitan area. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Columbus, Cincinnati or Cleveland. Stay at least 60 miles from those areas. The taxes will be less, unlikely to have any HOA's and fewer restrictions on what you can do on your property.

As for temps, no where in the Midwest you can go to completely escape hot humid weather. But there re usually only two bad months, July and August.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 01:41 AM

I was looking at properties 30-60 miles away from Columbus and compared to where I live I could get quite a bit of land.
Would be nice to a have a little private range of my own.
Really don't want live in the middle of nowhere like Montana since I like to work and might want to get something part time.
Will need to look into taxes but it can't be higher than MD. I am lucky since I have a homestead exemption but they are still high. Most people in my hood have 5 figure property tax bills. Don't even ask about income taxes.
There are 2 race tracks that are less than an hour from me (Capital and Mason Dixon) so it would be nice to have tracks nearby.
I have friends that have retired in AZ,NC and SC and keep telling me to look there. I once made a mistake of going to SC in August that convinced me never ever under no circumstance to go south ever again. On top of the heat and humidity there are all these freaking bugs flying around. I hate bugs. Did I mention I hate hot weather.

Someone mentioned if I had interest in aircraft well my degree is in aeronautical engineering so I do have some.
The best part moving out of MD will be getting my 2A rights back.....yipee!!!

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 04:47 AM

ARIDzonia ? ..... you kinda LOOK FORWARD to a bit of humidity!

I was in Tucson and lake havasu some years back and it was 124 degrees but only 6 % ... eek
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 12:33 PM

There are places in Arizona that have tolerable weather in terms of high temps, Sedona is one of them, and they have green trees and mountains there too, Tuscon is generally 10 degrees cooler than the Pheonix area (which is hell on earth IMO). What I prefer about states West of the Rocky Mountains in general, is the lack of humidity, it makes hot weather much less oppressive for sure.
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 01:33 PM

I love TN. Low taxes,friendly people,no traffic few regulations. I moved from Commiefornia and find this to be heaven. I have over 40 acres my own lake on a mountain (well 1900 ft) it does get humid in the summer especially in the valleys but temp and humidity are less where I live. Winters are mild only snowed a couple of times last year and it doesn't stay more than a day or two. Property is inexpensive as are property taxes if you have more than 20 acres. No income tax. Car tags are cheap. Did I say friendly people? It is a RED state. If you have never lived rural you do have to adapt. I know of several city folks that couldn't handle rural life and left. I live 12 miles from the nearest town and 40 from the bigger city. About every 2 to 3 weeks I plan my shopping trip, I take a day go to the bigger city we usually catch a movie ($5.00 on Tuesdays) hit the Sams Club, Aldis, Krogers etc get a meal at a nice restaurant and head home. Did I mention I love it here.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 01:46 PM

No one is retiring and moving to Ohio, the opposite is true. Do some research, if you are going to move 3 states away, go to NC, FL, TN or TX.

I live in Hamilton County, where the city of Cincinnati is. There has been a continuous exodus of residents from Hamilton to other counties and Northern KY for the same reasons as Detroit. Bad government, property taxes to pay for social services in the ghetto, extremely high water and sewer bills due to EPA regs, crime is down in the city but going up in the suburbs, roads are under continuous construction.

If you think Edgewater is a nice track, you haven't been there for 15 years. It has been on a slow and steady decline. There is constant turnover of track personnel because of bad management. Problems with timing system, PA, grounds not kept up. The only thing keeping them alive is the other local track, Tri-State Dragway in Hamilton, closed up in 2015 and the land was recently sold to a landscaping company. I still race 10-12 times per year but I will go 50-100 miles away to KilKare or Indy to spend my money.

I'm staying put for 3 more years until my youngest is out of school, then will be looking in earnest at those other states I mentioned.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 02:28 PM

yep we winter and orange barrel seasons, like its been said before the n.e. part using a 2hr window i have 5 of the 13 drag strips in ohio near me , 3 paved oval 5 dirt tracks
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 03:16 PM

I'm 52 miles north of Columbus. I wouldn't say land is cheap, but it is better than Lewis Center or Delaware. I am on the norhern side of Morrow County, but still 10 minutes from 71. I am 40 minutes from Pacemakers, 45 from Dragway 42, an hour from LaRue, an hour and 10 from Norwalk and an hour and 15 from National Trail.
That said, I'm eligible to retire in 7 years if I can afford it, and we won't be staying in Ohio. Winter has been lasting too long the last couple years. My girlfriend spent 13 years at the beach, and we are both ready to head south. If you are less intolerant of winter than I am, it wouldn't be bad for you.
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/18/19 04:02 PM

quote(Taxes around me suck. I live in an older neighborhood with large lots for the area but, I have a small home. My taxes are $2600 a year which is fine by me but, right down the street in both directions, I know people that pay upwards of $8500 a year. The taxes for some of the nicer homes that I know of around my area are around $30k a year.) quote

As a comparison, I have a two story house, barn, shop on 60 acres in Indiana. My property taxes are about 1200 a year, in a county with a population of 150K. Be watchful, on that. One of my neighbor counties has under half that population and property taxes are significantly higher- less people to keep the schools and othr things running.

As with anywhere, be conscious of buying inside a city corporate limits. Your taxes will double, for the convenience of trash pick up, sidewalks and street lights. Figure a Mopar guy is a little more self reliant than to need that.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/31/19 03:24 PM

Just read an article regarding least expensive states to retire. WV and KY were in the top 5, Ohio #8. FWIW.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Retire in Ohio? - 07/31/19 04:15 PM

For all of your requirements, I would look at southern Ind closely.

Marion is a crap hole but, is a lot of fun; I try to go once a year. They just have odd stuff running at Marion that is fun to see.
. I’ve only been to Marion once, back in 2004/05. I’m going next Sat for their “street race”event, it should be a good time.

Dennis
© 2020 Moparts Forums