Moparts

work/life balance

Posted By: feets

work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:14 PM

Would you guys take a lower paying job if it offered a better work/life balance?

Job 1:
10 hour days
one hour (per direction) commute
5-6 days per week
time dedicated to job 60-71 hours per week
higher stress
higher wage
expert in the industry
close to burning out on some days.

Job 2:
8 hour days
20 minute per direction commute
5 days a week
time dedicated to job 43-1/2 hours per week
little to no stress
25% less pay
very nearly expert in the industry.

Situation: Aged late 40s. Single man. No kids. Either job can cover the bills. The house and car can be paid off at any time (investments earning more than paid interest).

Would you guys make the jump and take the pay cut or stick with the higher paying job?
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:23 PM

Job 2 in a heartbeat.
Posted By: wingman

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by feets
Situation: Aged late 40s. Single man. No kids. Either job can cover the bills. The house and car can be paid off at any time (investments earning more than paid interest).

Well, you are in a very different situation than a lot of people. As the old Warren Buffett saying goes, "Money is not important. But make sure you earn a lot before speaking such nonsense."

Sounds like either decision you make would be a good one--it's all about your own personal priorities.

The Merle Haggard lyric applies more to my personal situation, "It's a big job just getting by with nine kids and a wife."
Posted By: rocksmopar

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:49 PM

Stress kills..

Take the job closer to home and live a happier and longer life...
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:50 PM

the biggest thing i would consider is how stable the new company is.
we all know the stinky stuff is going to hit the fan in the near future. even now everything auto, car, truck, etc related is already down due to lower sales across the board and the future outlook isn't on a upturn. will they be prepared to survive the downturn? or better will your job being the low man on the pole survive the downturn?
also what will your vacation time and health care insurance cost be at the new place compared to the old place?
Posted By: moparx

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:53 PM

what's cookin' now feets ? will this allow more time to deal with your house issues ?
if economic conditions permit, i vote for job #2.
beer
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:55 PM

switch in a heartbeat
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:59 PM

I basically made that leap 20 years ago. Figured I'ld work half as hard but maybe twice as long. And then hoped that I may live longer and enjoy my life and family more. Now 63, and looking back, it was a good decision.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 12:59 PM

From your posting on here, id think your a #2 type guy.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 01:00 PM

Do some math and see how many years sooner you can retire if you stay with job #1. I chose staying with a high pay, high stress job and retiring sooner. Highly disciplined saving and investing must be a part of the equation of you choose this route.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 01:33 PM

Job 2
Posted By: topside

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 01:38 PM

Money is really handy, but time is precious.
Also consider the work environment, the health of the #2 company, and of course whatever you can find out about the people there.
Check out the facility itself; avoid crappy places where you're battling what you have to work with.
Co-workers are a big deal; being surrounded by a few a-holes in secure & influential positions is murder in several ways.

Seems you have a lot of things going on, projects there hasn't been time for, and some time-critical problems with the house.
If the new deal allows sufficient funds to do everything you want & continue to sock some money away, it sure sounds like the direction to take.
If you have a tentative deal, and can discuss your plans with the current place, you might find that they're willing to either step up $$ or be more accommodating so they can keep you.
Some places will be incensed that you'd leave, of course.

There's also some value in a fresh environment, especially if the time/money equation is acceptable.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Also consider the work environment, the health of the #2 company, and of course whatever you can find out about the people there.
Check out the facility itself; avoid crappy places where you're battling what you have to work with.
Co-workers are a big deal; being surrounded by a few a-holes in secure & influential positions is murder in several ways.

Seems you have a lot of things going on, projects there hasn't been time for, and some time-critical problems with the house.
If the new deal allows sufficient funds to do everything you want & continue to sock some money away, it sure sounds like the direction to take.
If you have a tentative deal, and can discuss your plans with the current place, you might find that they're willing to either step up $$ or be more accommodating so they can keep you.
Some places will be incensed that you'd leave, of course.

There's also some value in a fresh environment, especially if the time/money equation is acceptable.

When laying on your death bed....do you think you will say "Gee, if only I could have worked just one more day"....or will you be more regretful of the things in life that you chose to not make time for. I would suspect most people would be more along the lines of "Gee, I wish I had.....(fill in the blank)" and that more than likely will not include working.
Posted By: Neil

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 01:50 PM

I would never take job #1 in the first place. Your there so much you might as well plant your mail box in their parking lot.
Posted By: MONC

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by oldjonny

When laying on your death bed....do you think you will say "Gee, if only I could have worked just one more day"....or will you be more regretful of the things in life that you chose to not make time for. I would suspect most people would be more along the lines of "Gee, I wish I had.....(fill in the blank)" and that more than likely will not include working.

What he said...
I am in similar situation but don't have the option of Job 2 frown

If I had the opportunity, and was in your situation Feets, would definitely make the jump.

Best of luck !
Posted By: Twostick

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 02:15 PM

Job #2 gives you back 20 hours+/- a week of your life that you could use to do side jobs that you ENJOY, to make up or exceed the pay cut. Good machinists are hard to find. Ones with Mopar skills included could find themselves busier than they care to be kept.

Or you could finish the Imperial... laugh2

I've been in my current situation for over 17 years and I've really needed to fire them for some time now. Love the job and the people I work with. The management is another story... I tell people it's like getting divorced again except after this long you'd rather avoid it if at all possible. Fear of change I guess but there eventually comes a time one has to choose between bloodshed and handcuffs and moving on. Stress is a killer and I'm on the fast track for another infarction. I know from experience you don't want to go there.

So yeah, Job #2.

Kevin
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 02:19 PM

If your finances are in the position as yours are, number two is the way to go.

Your employer is going to appreciate you more. Factor in the lower commuter expenses, and being at your house sooner. Driving that extra time and miles increases the odds of being in a crash. Also, if your area is like most- road construction projects on your commute route in the future?

If the finances are good, go be happy and appreciated.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 02:46 PM

You don`t realize how precious time is until it`s gone. Seriously time really passes by so quickly and then you stop and think where did it all go. Be happy.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 02:50 PM

Given your circumstances, Job #2 makes a lot of sense. Sounds like the extra time can be spent on hobbies and perhaps outside income.

The only think I would worry about is that job #2 might not be as rewarding and perhaps could become boring for you. Eight hours that feel like sixteen could be worst than ten that fly by.

However this is not a lifetime contract, don't burn any bridges behind you and you will have other options in the future if this one does not work out.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by FM3AAR
Job 2 in a heartbeat.

iagree Literally. Stress is hard on your heart. If Job #2 comfortably covers the bills, jump fast, before someone else fills that position. Current job sounds like it makes everything in your life stressful; the drive, the job, lack of time/energy for yourself...sounds like it negatively affects all of it. Good luck with whatever you decide. Let us know...
Posted By: Orange_Crush

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 03:50 PM

Job 1:

Job 2:

These are the two most important things written in your post.

Take job 2. Do some traveling. Enjoy your free time.

There's no honor in dying at your desk.

Posted By: Tom_440

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 04:03 PM

The way the post is written, I doubt anyone would go for job #1. The only "incentive" for putting up with job 1 would be retirement. If #1 has a fat retirement plan and you can stick it out and be done in a few years, the luxury of getting paid for waking up and having all your days to yourself would be strongly worth considering. If the retirement factor is not in play, then job 2 is a no brainer. Besides, when broken down hourly, you get an hourly raise at job #2. The few extra dollars from Job #1 really doesn't matter as we just spend our extra money on women and booze and squander the rest.

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_440
The way the post is written, I doubt anyone would go for job #1.

I have to wonder if Feets' post is more about wanting validation for a decision he's already made in his own mind.

Nothing wrong with that...I think that's pretty wise.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 05:01 PM

I'd never take a 25% pay cut unless there was no alternative, but my circumstances (wife, 2 kids) are much different than yours.

I will say that one of the best pieces of advice I was ever given is "No amount of money is enough to do a job that you hate."

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
I'd never take a 25% pay cut unless there was no alternative, but my circumstances (wife, 2 kids) are much different than yours.

I will say that one of the best pieces of advice I was ever given is "No amount of money is enough to do a job that you hate."

On the flip side, A Senior Professional In Human resources once told me: If one of your employees takes another job for less than 20% more than what you were paying them, that employee was unhappy."

Knowing what I know about Feets, the fact that's he's even considering a 25% pay cut to move to another job tells me he's miserable.

I know that if I was in his position, I probably would stay where I am. I, like you, have a wife and kids.

If I was single, though...There is no way I would stay in a more stressful environment when a far less stressful and time-consuming job would cover my bills.
Posted By: wylde8

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 05:21 PM

Absolutely I'd recommend Job #2. For only a 25% difference in pay, its a no-brainer. In my opinion, Job #1 would need to pay at least 50% more and be viewed as a short term means to an end for it to even be considered.

Too many people out there have no understanding of what life is really about and equate time in the office and titles with fulfillment. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth.
Posted By: Satilite73

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 05:24 PM

I have a few questions:

25% pay cut. Is that base pay? With either job, are there bonuses or commissions that play into that amount?

25% pay cut, what are the chances of a pay raise compared to the other job?

25% pay cut, how do the benefits compare? 401K? Insurance?

Sounds like you made your decision already, but if you peel back all the layers, you might be losing more than 25%.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 05:46 PM

As someone who has worked for at least 6 different auto parts depts. I can tell you they are FUBAR, Some just more so than others. And each will be different. I settled for one I could tolerate. Then would move on. I finally retired four years ago and only work part-time now.

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

I have a few questions:

25% pay cut. Is that base pay? With either job, are there bonuses or commissions that play into that amount?

Sounds like you made your decision already, but if you peel back all the layers, you might be losing more than 25%.

25% total compensation.

Chance for advancement but not likely to the same rate of pay in the foreseeable future.

Comparable benefits.

I'm fairly valuable in my industry and many other stores would love to have me based on my performance. In fact, I have a standing offer for a position with an increase in pay (top of the industry) if I move from DFW to San Antonio. However, moving to another store in this area would likely result in a reduction in income. My earnings last year put me in what is likely the top 10% for this area but it's commission so you never know your luck.

I really don't like the work/life balance and in the auto industry you're only as good as your last month. However, you can't do it alone and there's always someone willing to do anything (moral or not) for money. I'm not like that.

I put myself in hot water in the last few months. My manager loved the things I did but it was a real smash to the service director's nose.

You see, I ran down over $143,000 in lost parts department profit for 2018. It was all in parts discounts given by service in the booking office. Those were not parts department approved discounts. Service did not discount their labor. That means in order to satisfy unhappy clients service kept their profit but gave away thousands of dollars of my earned income.
Then, I tracked down hundreds of repair orders that had the names changed after the client paid and left. To keep the unhappy people from blasting the dealership on a survey the service department changed the repair orders to our body shop. That means clients were never notified when special order parts came in. You know, little things like recall airbags that won't blow shrapnel in the driver's face.
I even created new methods of notifying clients when we received parts for their cars.

There have been many other things as well. My boss was VERY happy with these things. My work on the airbag issue alone brought us over $50,000 in (previously abandoned) warranty sales during the month of May and $30,000 in June.

When the boss wants to pay you more but isn't allowed to it's rather annoying. When it comes to my abilities he told me "you don't know how much you know" and I'll take that as praise from a man who has spent over 30 years in the business.

Yeah, it's a bit of a rant.

Hit the right store and you can make some money but it can come at a cost.

I'm going to pursue job 2 above and see what happens. I can't say anything for now but if it happens some of you guys will take interest.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

I have a few questions:

25% total compensation.

Chance for advancement but not likely to the same rate of pay in the foreseeable future.

Comparable benefits.

I'm fairly valuable in my industry and many other stores would love to have me based on my performance. In fact, I have a standing offer for a position with an increase in pay (top of the industry) if I move from DFW to San Antonio. However, moving to another store in this area would likely result in a reduction in income. My earnings last year put me in what is likely the top 10% for this area but it's commission so you never know your luck.

I really don't like the work/life balance and in the auto industry you're only as good as your last month. However, you can't do it alone and there's always someone willing to do anything (moral or not) for money. I'm not like that.

I put myself in hot water in the last few months. My manager loved the things I did but it was a real smash to the service director's nose.

You see, I ran down over $143,000 in lost parts department profit for 2018. It was all in parts discounts given by service in the booking office. Those were not parts department approved discounts. Service did not discount their labor. That means in order to satisfy unhappy clients service kept their profit but gave away thousands of dollars of my earned income.
Then, I tracked down hundreds of repair orders that had the names changed after the client paid and left. To keep the unhappy people from blasting the dealership on a survey the service department changed the repair orders to our body shop. That means clients were never notified when special order parts came in. You know, little things like recall airbags that won't blow shrapnel in the driver's face.
I even created new methods of notifying clients when we received parts for their cars.

There have been many other things as well. My boss was VERY happy with these things. My work on the airbag issue alone brought us over $50,000 in (previously abandoned) warranty sales during the month of May and $30,000 in June.

When the boss wants to pay you more but isn't allowed to it's rather annoying. When it comes to my abilities he told me "you don't know how much you know" and I'll take that as praise from a man who has spent over 30 years in the business.

Yeah, it's a bit of a rant.
Hit the right store and you can make some money but it can come at a cost.

I'm going to pursue job 2 above and see what happens. I can't say anything for now but if it happens some of you guys will take interest.

OH SNAP!!!! You threw the feces straight into the fan with that. Yeah, you made more enemies than friends with that one. It goes on at most every dealership though, well not changing the names on the repair orders though, but discounting the parts. Our writers cant do that so they have to ask the parts guys to change the prices. It's a simple access thing in the computer system, we use Reynolds&Reynolds UCS system.

But either way if you are single and have no plans to change that then do what makes you happy, some people enjoy making money and high stress environments.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 11:30 PM

Considering I just did exactly this .
'My vote is Job #2 IN A HEARTBEAT.

Stress is VERY real. And even though its not a popular answer ,,,,,,money is NOT everything.

I cut approx 30-35 % off the top of my annual earnings and in a completely different field . I went from being one of the top Dodge dealer tech for over 25 years to airport airfield maint. / operator .
And I can honestly say its hands down one of the best decisions of my life.
To many years of chasing that warranty rat race took its toll.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: work/life balance - 07/17/19 11:32 PM

There's certainly a reason why I am not chasing money in Dallas or Fort Worth. Work/Life balance is excellent where I am at and I wouldn't trade it for a 25% bump. twocents
Posted By: cudatom

Re: work/life balance - 07/18/19 02:00 AM

If I had that option I would have taken #2. For me it was either stay with the high stress job, no reward work OT every week and be home and miserable, which in turn made the wife unhappy.

Or stay with the same company take a new position travel 200 days a yr, 32 hr OT a week when I travel . The wife would be happier because she didn't have to hear me complain.

I opted for the traveling position. It will let me retire at 58.5. Yeah its sucked big time. Most of the people I deal with I want to hurt badly, they crooks and liar's. Five more months and yes I'm counting the days.

I'm glad you have more options than I did.

Job satisfaction is important. You don't have to love going to work but you shouldn't dread it.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: work/life balance - 07/18/19 02:33 AM

I faced that decision many years ago. I took less pay, less hours, and less stress. It was one of the best moves I ever made. 25 years ago, I made another decision, I became self employed. Though the stress level increased, and the hours increased slightly (self employed people really can set the hours they want to work), it was another one of the best decisions I even made.
I've recently retired at 62, that decision was also one of the better choices I've made.

Money is a tool to get things you need, not the goal of a lifetime. At the point that you become content with the things you have, money is no longer as important as it was when you were always perusing more things. Gene

Re: work/life balance - 07/18/19 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

OH SNAP!!!! You threw the feces straight into the fan with that. Yeah, you made more enemies than friends with that one. It goes on at most every dealership though, well not changing the names on the repair orders though, but discounting the parts. Our writers cant do that so they have to ask the parts guys to change the prices. It's a simple access thing in the computer system, we use Reynolds&Reynolds UCS system.

Blue screen Reynolds and Reynolds.
I found discounts using CP10, CP20, and CP30 made in booking. Those are parts discount codes in those percentages. A few phone calls to R&R landed a report that is now run daily to find unapproved discounts. When we discount services to 20% and they throw an additional 30% discount parts goes negative while service makes full profit.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: work/life balance - 07/18/19 08:32 PM

Depending on how bad Job #2 company wants you on their team, you may be able to negotiate some of the benefits. For example, a new employee may start off with 40 hrs per year vacation, working up to a max of 120 hrs per year. With the experience you're going to bring, perhaps they can start you at the top of the vacation scale. I'm not sure what benefits are offered with job 2, but attempt to negotiate along those lines. I'm pulling for you, man. Let us know how it goes...
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: work/life balance - 07/18/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick
Job #2 gives you back 20 hours+/- a week of your life that you could use to do side jobs that you ENJOY, to make up or exceed the pay cut. Good machinists are hard to find. Ones with Mopar skills included could find themselves busier than they care to be kept.

Kevin

To that 20+ hours, you can add another 6-8 hours per week of commute time.

As almost everyone has said, I'd take what's behind door #2... thumbs
Posted By: Porter67

Re: work/life balance - 07/18/19 08:51 PM

Your probably already on your way out of your current job, you may or may not just know it yet.

Stop making problems for yourself in life.

Try going to work for min. wage in a s_it job then you might realize a sh_t job that pays well isnt so bad.
Posted By: Frankenduster

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by FM3AAR
Job 2 in a heartbeat.

Absolutely.
I am paying almost $300 a week in gas to work a job 107 miles away, The drive home often takes 3 hours or more. I leave the job in good shape but am beat down and pissed off by the time I pull into the garage here. Screw this. I get home and don't feel like doing anything because of my crappy mood.
I'm so close to reaching my 30, this is the only reason that I am enduring this friggin BS. Life is MORE than money and MORE than work
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 02:10 AM

I have worked in industry but now have a state job. Industry OWNS you and cares zero about you or your family life. I was single and took a 20% cut 25 yrs ago for state work. This job let me watch my kids grow up and I've worked 5 hours OT in 25 yrs. When in industry I did that at least one day per week and was on SALARY. Now I work 4-10 hr days with every Friday off......and a paid lunch every day.

We get job applicants willing to go from six figures to 50k sometimes.....to get away from the hours and stress.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 08:24 AM

Commuting is death.

Stress is death.

Time is the only thing a billionaire cant buy.

Most people utterly hemorrhage money (ie: they need probably HALF what they think they need).

Passion... is everything.

I've have lots ov money and no time, and i've had nothing but time and no money. There is a happy balance in there, but for me, it is WAY canted towards the latter. Right now? I'm dirt [censored] poor. I make, maybe 10-15K a year cash (doing VERY easy odd jobs, selling occasional parts), but i am quite literally the best in the world at the sport i choose to do, and i just finished my first novel (with maaaaany more stacking up in the queu). Yeah, no vacation this year, but i can go sit at the lake all day tomorrow if i want. I can go for a drive. I have no paid off house, and my '08 Civic Si is paid for... but... its a Civic Si. Thats an all-out hotrod to many, but to me? Its a compromise. I have an old project car now, and by next summer, i should be driving it daily, and can sell the new car.

Yeah, i suffer... i live in the most expensive place to live in North America... but, i'm an ascetic, so thats not a big deal. I am also incredibly good with my money. I have a LOT ov friends my age (40-50) with homes, new trucks, toys toys toys, family, vacations... and yet they all envy my accomplishments, my lifestyle (the freedom anyways), and this is key: my utter lack ov stress. I sleep like a baby... 9 hours a night. I'm in incredible health. I can do stuff that a LOT ov other men wish they could.

There is a lot ov hidden math to life. Sooooo many get it wrong. I know people who make six figures who are utterly miserable. I baaaaaarely make 5 figures... and i'm the highest toned person i know.
Posted By: Superfreak

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 07:29 PM

Right now? I'm dirt [censored] poor.
Yeah, i suffer... i live in the most expensive place to live in North America... but, i'm an ascetic, so thats not a big deal. I am also incredibly good with my money. I have a LOT ov friends my age (40-50) with homes, new trucks, toys toys toys, family, vacations... and yet they all envy my accomplishments, my lifestyle (the freedom anyways), and this is key: my utter lack ov stress. I sleep like a baby... 9 hours a night. I'm in incredible health. I can do stuff that a LOT ov other men wish they could.

There is a lot ov hidden math to life. Sooooo many get it wrong. I know people who make six figures who are utterly miserable. I baaaaaarely make 5 figures... and i'm the highest toned person i know. [/quote]

I think if you were incredibly good with your money you wouldn't be dirt FNG poor as you so eloquently stated.

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 07:45 PM

Those who work too much will pay a price, physically, on the backside of their lives. I see it all the time with guys who have done nothing but live behind a desk for 35 + years and now have failing joints, bad backs, etc from lack of activity. You'd think they were ex football players with all their issues, but nope just office peeps who put work ahead of everything else. They have no hobbies or anything as far as I can tell.

You need some time away from work to get some fresh air and something that qualifies as exercise.
Posted By: wingman

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
I see it all the time with guys who have done nothing but live behind a desk for 35 + years and now have failing joints, bad backs, etc from lack of activity. .

If you think living behind a desk can break down your body, try working with your hands and spending all day on your feet..

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 09:52 PM

Yes, that is why there are very few older construction workers, car mechanics, roofers, ect. At some point many are forced to quit, or are booted out via age discrimination. Happened to my dad already.

If I had a manual labor job that I knew I wasn't going to cross the finish line doing I would figure out how to start my own company, etc..
Posted By: BSB67

Re: work/life balance - 07/19/19 11:14 PM

Those who work too much will pay a price, physically, on the backside of their lives. I see it all the time with guys who have done nothing but live behind a desk for 35 + years and now have failing joints, bad backs, etc from lack of activity. You'd think they were ex football players with all their issues, but nope just office peeps who put work ahead of everything else. They have no hobbies or anything as far as I can tell.

You need some time away from work to get some fresh air and something that qualifies as exercise.

But those things are not the job's fault. Those are personal choices.

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Superfreak

I think if you were incredibly good with your money you wouldn't be dirt FNG poor as you so eloquently stated.

I would like to see you, or anyone anywhere do what i do, have what i have, accomplish what i have accomplished... on my income. You didn't read the post. I've HAD lots ov money, and no time. I've had the opposite. I prefer the latter. I am way too busy to work. Far too many interesting things and opportunities happen. Why would i trade that to be chained to a job, making poverty-level wage (because in BC, all wages are poverty level wages), making someone else rich? Not all ov us buy into the 40/40/40 trap, and everyone i know who does, is unhappy. Come on now...

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by wingman
I see it all the time with guys who have done nothing but live behind a desk for 35 + years and now have failing joints, bad backs, etc from lack of activity. .

If you think living behind a desk can break down your body, try working with your hands and spending all day on your feet..

It might sound counter-intuitive, but both are equally destructive. I deal with the former a lot (clients ov mine). Sitting in a sh!tty stressful office 50 hours a week is a truly ugly thing to do to the human body. It was NOT meant for this.

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 07:11 AM

EVERYONE needs to exercise... a lot. Probably the number one fallacy and misunderstanding amongst the older generation, or younger people who learned from them, is that work, even hard manual labor, is the same as exercise. Its not. How many times have we heard this (or have some ov you said it): "I dont need to work, i do heavy labor all day at work..." WRONG. You probably need it more than anyone. Work is NOT exercise... and the human body NEEDS exercise. The next, and always following fallacy is: I'm too tired from work to exercise' And again... WRONG. You're tired because you DONT exercise.

There are plenty ov old people who cruise into their 60's, 70's, 80's, even 90's with very little discomfort or failing health, feeling great, looking great... and without exception, these are people who vigorously exercised.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 04:00 PM

Ultimately the only opinion that matters is yours, do what makes you happy now and don't wait until later to see if you regret it or not work scopeup
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

EVERYONE needs to exercise... a lot. Probably the number one fallacy and misunderstanding amongst the older generation, or younger people who learned from them, is that work, even hard manual labor, is the same as exercise. Its not. How many times have we heard this (or have some ov you said it): "I dont need to work, i do heavy labor all day at work..." WRONG. You probably need it more than anyone. Work is NOT exercise... and the human body NEEDS exercise. The next, and always following fallacy is: I'm too tired from work to exercise' And again... WRONG. You're tired because you DONT exercise.

There are plenty ov old people who cruise into their 60's, 70's, 80's, even 90's with very little discomfort or failing health, feeling great, looking great... and without exception, these are people who vigorously exercised.

I learned in basic training in the Army that I hate pain, most excercises are painful down
I had started to work as a apprentice lineman 2 years before being drafted in 1966 so I had to exercise at work on a daily basis 5 days a week to do my job, but nothing like the daily dozen excercise mandated six days a week in Basic training though shruggy
I ended up doing clerical work in the Amy after advance training for 19 months and we did not have todo daily excercises after basic training shruggy
I did gain a lot of weight being a clerk in Germany eating in the mess hall and I decided to lose some weight before being getting out of the Army to go home and back to work. I had ask our Battalion Doctor for a diet in April and he told me the best way to lose weight in the army having to eat in the mess hall was to stop eating shock He was correct, he had said to make sure and drink plenty of liquids with no sugar when I started to lose weight to not hurt my body.
He also told me my belly would hurt for 3 to 5 days and then shrink up and stop hurting as much, he was correct up
I stop eating for 21 days before going leaving Germany in August of 1968, I didn't weigh myself before starting or before leaving Germany, before stopping eating I could not get one finger in between my collar on our dress shirts and I could get two fingers sideways in there after not eating for those 21 days boogie
I had decided to reward my self with a steak dinner at the airport before leaving Germany, it tasted horrible shock whiney
My next meal on the airplane 7 hours later tasted a little bit better shruggy
I am 74 now and still semi active in retirement without excersing, my wife, who loves gardening and yard work still tells me I need to excersie more down
We should have never let Women vote, let alone drive or work haha up stirthepot devil
You all have a great day thumbs
Life is what you make it work
Some people die young, some don't confused
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 05:39 PM

There was a retirement study done of Boeing employees recently. The study found that the workers who were able to start taking retirement benefits at age 55 ending up getting the benefits until the average age of 80. The workers who waited until age 65 to start getting benefits stopped getting benefits at the average age of 67. Basically the study found that work starts taking a higher toll on the mind and body the older we get and to retire as soon as you can afford to if you want to live longer.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 06:24 PM

Would you guys take a lower paying job if it offered a better work/life balance?

Job 1:
10 hour days
one hour (per direction) commute
5-6 days per week
time dedicated to job 60-71 hours per week
higher stress
higher wage
expert in the industry

Job 2:
8 hour days
20 minute per direction commute
5 days a week
time dedicated to job 43-1/2 hours per week
little to no stress
25% less pay
very nearly expert in the industry.

Would you guys make the jump and take the pay cut or stick with the higher paying job?

I was recently unemployed by a job I hated and stressed me out constantly and had a long commute......Worked there all of two years. Everything but the pay check sucked...

I am tired of the BS, and don't care about the highest paid job in the industry anymore. ALL companies lie to their employees about one thing or another...ALL jobs have some level of stress....All the jobs out there come with their own set of problems.

At this point in my life, I just want to do my job and come home...I figure I have 17 more years to go before I can retire, and it seems like its going to suck no matter where I end up. I had a job for 7 years I really liked before this last one. That company lied to us threw their teeth and then shipped all the machining jobs out of NY and closed the plant...

I don't need to meet the CEO or sit threw any of their state of the business updates...I don't effin care...They do what they want no matter what anyways...

If I could go back in time, I should have started my own business...Too late to get that far in debt now...So here I am.....Had most of the summer off now, and for the most part, enjoyed it...
Posted By: CKessel

Re: work/life balance - 07/20/19 06:40 PM

As a former dealership employee, you are correct about the only as valuable as your previous month. The stars can move in a different direction and you would be on your butt in a heartbeat if the owner or gm got their knickers in a twist. Would not matter how you have done or what your sales have been. They should can the service manager for that but depending on the distance of his nose to certain rectums, or maybe he swallows, he will most likely stay. One thing your figures didn't show was the savings in vehicle expenses with the closer drive. You did show the time savings which is huge to me. Getting that time back instead of wasting it driving will make a huge impact on your quality of life. And if you've been dulling your senses after a days work, that will dwindle which is a benefit to your soul and health.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: work/life balance - 07/22/19 12:15 AM

Im a job #2 type of guy. There's no point in making more money if you don't have the time to do anything with it and you're tired and stressed out all the time.
© 2019 Moparts Forums