Moparts

Daily Driver Suggestions - UPDATE

Posted By: MONC

Daily Driver Suggestions - UPDATE - 06/20/19 05:21 PM

Okay so my daily driver ( 2010 Honda Civic w/ 200K mi 5 spd ) runs great, but the A/C compressor and condenser needs to be replaced ( need A/C as I am heat intolerant) .

Approximate value is $2.5K-$3K , cost to get A/C fixed about $1,200 .

Trying to justify cost to replace, or just get something new.
I know car will get another 100K miles , but my commute is long ( 50 mi each way) , half highway, half stop and go , and the 5 speed is wearing on my shoulder ( don't get old ! )

So thinking about replacement, but unsure which route to go.
Don't really want to go new, but some places can give me a guaranteed trade in over the current value ( probably jack up the price though... )
But also need decent MPG , maybe not 35+ like I am getting now , but at least 30 mpg.
Would also like a better ride, and more quiet, tired of driving a tin can around.

Not looking to spend a ton either, just want a reliable, comfortable quiet ride that gets decent mileage and doesn't jack up my insurance .

Any suggestions, Mopar or not ?

Posted By: Neil

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/20/19 05:30 PM

Used Chrysler 300c with a V6?
Posted By: Doc Fiberglass

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/20/19 05:32 PM

Try finding a stick shift Neon ! ... I have my feelers out - jsta in case !
Posted By: AdventurerSport

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/20/19 05:34 PM

Chrylser 300 or 200 with V6 would suit you very well (automatic).

Dodge Avenger later model (2011-up) with V6-auto is a great ride

JS

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/20/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by AdventurerSport
Chrylser 300 or 200 with V6 would suit you very well (automatic).

Dodge Avenger later model (2011-up) with V6-auto is a great ride

JS

200 with a V6 ... I jsta picked up one meself.....nice peppy ride !
Posted By: racerx20

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/20/19 06:01 PM

I love my 2017 GTI as a fun commuter car. A more refined and functional SRT-4 (I've owned both).

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/20/19 11:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.
Didn't realize you could get a 200 with a V6.
What kind of mpg you get with that?

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by MONC

My 200 vert/ht is sitting in my shop but in talking with the guy who I bought it from - driving ez with cruise at 65 or so - they got 32.

Attached picture 39F24994-4D2A-4A39-A95A-0C6DCBD4DF4E.jpeg
Posted By: 4263rdGen

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 05:01 AM

VW Passat, nice cars and not expensive - if you want something bigger.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 11:22 AM

I don't know what the newer Acura TLs are like but my wife had an 05 for awhile and it was a killer car. Lots of luxury and power and good MPG. I actually wish we would have kept it to be my driver.

She came from a Neon to the TL(this was 07-08). The TL cost twice as much, had twice as much power, handled twice as good, but it got the same MPG as the neon and insurance was WAY CHEAPER for some reason.
Posted By: polarconvert

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 12:50 PM

Town car, Crown vic , cheap, Full frame V8, 26mpg highway, Cheap to maintain, last of the great pleasure driving cars and absolutely No hassle from the cops or crazy people.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 01:05 PM

Glad to see people are recommending the V6 Chrysler 200.. I have a buddy who loves the power in his, kind of a sleeper..

Originally Posted by 4263rdGen
VW Passat, nice cars and not expensive - if you want something bigger.

Last fall we finally replaced my '05 Ford minivan with a '13 VW CC 3.6VR w 50k miles on it for $17,000.. OMG what a fabulous car.
(Mind you that impression is in comparison to having driven 2005 minivans for 10 years).
- Art
Posted By: RWG75

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 02:40 PM

My girl has an 11 200 w/ the I4. The odd thing is that the v6 is rated for 100 hp more and the identical MPG which is something like 28 hwy. With the 4 we've gotten 27 mpg doing 80 mph with the top down. I've gotten it over 30 putting along at 60. If ya get a choice, go w/ the v6. The 4 isn't a dog, but no replacement for displacement.

Has about 115k on the clock and runs / drives like new. All we've ever fed it was tires, brake pads / rotors, one front wheel bearing, alternator, wipers, spark plugs, serpentine belt and a tensioner. Had to repair the tail wiring harness because of a design flaw but that was an hour with an solder iron. Aside from that last one, nothing but routine wear / tear stuff.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 02:54 PM

Keep in mind - a 200 is Chrysler's version of a Dart - a throw-away car. Leased one for my aunt a few years ago & we were not impressed. Personally, I like 300's. I'm on my third used one - a 2012 RWD, 2014 AWD, & now a 2016 RWD. They have all had the 3.6L & all have been great. RWD gets quite a bit better mileage than the AWD. Nicest riding & driving cars I've ever owned.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

Keep in mind - a 200 is Chrysler's version of a Dart - a throw-away car. Leased one for my aunt a few years ago & we were not impressed. Personally, I like 300's. I'm on my third used one - a 2012 RWD, 2014 AWD, & now a 2016 RWD. They have all had the 3.6L & all have been great. RWD gets quite a bit better mileage than the AWD. Nicest riding & driving cars I've ever owned.

I would agree with the part of recommending a V-6 300.
The 300's are roomy and ride great.

The 200 is actually the same as a Sebring which is the same platform as the 4 door Avenger, not the Dart.

The 2008 Sebring retractable hardtop convertible I recently sold looked almost identical to Doc's 200.
It was powered by a 3.5 V-6 and averaged a combined 26 mpg.
The 3.6 V-6 in the 200 has more power and better fuel economy.

[Linked Image]

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 06:55 PM

Didn't know they made a 200 with a V6 and a convertible. ( not that I do convertibles any more , but still good to know ) .
Must be pretty fast w/ a v6

Don't do VWs , personal grudge...

Acuras I find are nice, but expensive

Will look into the a Town Car/ Crown Vic , but suspecting way too much power for what I need.
But I do like the 'No Hassle ' angle grin

SNK EYZ - saw that Sebring you had , looked cool, but already sold ... frown
Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 10:10 PM

I DD a 2013 Mini Clubman non-turbo 6-speed. BMW build quality and reliability. 35 mpg average year-round, 75 mile total daily commute, 80% highway.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 10:34 PM

Wife has a 2015 200s with the v6, nice car with about 40k on it now. No problems and just normal maintenance and a set of tires. Her commute is about 45 miles and averages 30mpg.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/21/19 11:54 PM

Will look into the a Town Car/ Crown Vic , but suspecting way too much power for what I need.
But I do like the 'No Hassle ' angle grin

I daily drive my 2011 Crown Vic. Love the car. Tons of room and solid on the road. I"ve done tires, oil changes, air filters, a serpentine belt and front brakes in the last 50,000 miles. Reliable, but the power of a 4.6 modular motor is underwhelming. And I average 18 MPG city and 21 highway.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 12:34 AM

I daily drive my 2013 Charger R/T with the 370 HP 5.7 and get around 20-22 mpg everyday mileage and 25-27 highway mpg. The 3.6 V6 gets about 30 mpg with 300 HP. You will not find a more comfortable, quiet car. I have 132,000 trouble free miles since new. It has voice activated electronics with acoustic windshield and side glass with a 556W 10 speaker stereo. Handles great and looks great. I guarantee you can find a reasonably low mileage Charger with most of these options for under $20 K or a newer one for under $30 K. Hopefully you can afford a nice bigger car like a Charger to enjoy? I am glad I bought mine every time I get in it!
Posted By: A12

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 02:01 AM

I would look at a base model Challenger SXT AWD or the GT AWD for around $30,549 - $33,459 that gets 27 MPG Hwy. That's suggested MSRP 2019 so you for sure can find a used or even one with special pricing or regional discounts. B5 Blue will cost another $69 and I rather drive something like that and have fun doing it. You can save a little by not going with the AWD but if you live and work in the snow belt it's well worth the extra cost and less weather worries.

Just looked at an ad for a 2019 Challenger SXT AWD and it was showing a discount of $4,669

Detailed Pricing:

MSRP $32,485

Discount/Rebates - $4,669

Everyone Buys For - $27,816

Also See 11 Available Specials

Remember: smile

M[b]opar
[b]O
r
No
Car

Attached picture Challenger SXT AWD 30459.png
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 12:54 PM

I drive a 2016 Honda HRV AWD great car , great in snow so I don't have to drive my H.Q.C. in the salt and snow anymore, handles good even in the rain. Gas mileage is in the low 30s not quite as good as my previous Civic but worth it for the AWD. My wife drives an Acura RDX AWD her second one she loves it but we probably won't get another after lease is up next year as they no longer offer a 6 cylinder only 4 cylinder, we are going to buy a Honda Pilot instead.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 02:03 PM

Keep in mind - a 200 is Chrysler's version of a Dart - a throw-away car.

The 200 replaced the Sebring. 2007 and back is the old Mitsu chassis (unless daimler updated it). 2008 was a fresh design w/ the MB roof but the V6 option was still the dreaded 2.7. They changed the name, some trim, improved the interior and added the world engines around 2010 or 11. The 08/up Sebring/200 shares a chassis with the Avenger. Around 2015 they switched the 200 to the Dart chassis, which is actually an older Fiat, for production economy.

The V6 option in the 200, post sebring, pre dart is straight outta the minivan. I like the convertible even though trunk room with the top down is pretty minimal unlike previous versions (400, Lebaron, Sebring). I had a rental Dart in 2015 and it didn't entirely suck. Less interior room, fairly gutless 4 cyl but 40 mpg all day long.

If I was looking for a 4dr and/or RWD, would go 300/Charger as they are really nice cars. The Avenger is pretty much a 200 chassis with a scaled down Charger body and in my opinion look much nicer than the 200 sedan. We ended up in a 200 for the drop top and no regrets. I think a V6 in the $10k range is a pretty easy find.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 02:41 PM

This may not be the way you want to go, but I bought a 78 Dodge Magnum (surprised?) from an estate sale, 70 some thousand miles, 318 air car.

It has been a great daily (except when it's snowing or snowed) driver. It had sat 5 or so years and I've only changed hoses, tires (mid 90's dated) and fuel lines (by choice).

Paid maybe more than I should've but it's been a car I can drive anywhere and no worries, and hey, if it does break down, I have a sportin' chance of repariing it.

Attached picture Magnum 4.jpg
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 02:51 PM

If you don’t have to haul people or a lot of stuff C5 Vettes are great DD, excellent mileage and fun to drive and can be found at reasonable prices with low mileage.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 04:38 PM

Your signature is Mopar Or No Car!

I'm hoping some of the suggestions are a joke. V6 Charger or Chrysler 300 are good ones but need to be post '14 when they straightened out issue with the Pentastar left cylinder head and failing lifters, so that may be too pricey. Same goes for the 200. Underrated car. I daily drive my Charger Police 5.7, and if maintained properly, it's reliable, drives VERY nice and quiet, and gets 25 on highway.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/22/19 04:41 PM

Magnumguy, I LOVE that daily driver Magnum of yours!!!!
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 12:59 AM

I have a 2015 Toyota Prius C as a daily driver. I figure you'd be open to that as you're currently driving a Honda. I get 55 mpg average with it, and I don't drive it slow or try to squeeze MPG out of it which some people do (that tends to p-off other drivers smile ). I think there are some Priuses that get well more than that, like the plugin kind but they are quite a bit more $ and bigger cars. The C is the smallest Prius, though doesn't feel that small inside, has a CVT automatic. I work downtown and this is one of the shorter cars, so can easily wiggle into small parking spots that most cars can't. It's great for commuting.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 01:26 AM

Read thru this thread and all I have to say it that there is not way you are going to find any of the recommended replacements, in decent shape, for $4200 or less (max value of your Honda plus AC repair).

Just fix what you have it's cheaper and you already know the history of your ride. Buying used is buying someone else's problems.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 02:28 AM

The Honda and Toyota apimp .... go sit in the corner for awhile ! tsk grin

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Read thru this thread and all I have to say it that there is not way you are going to find any of the recommended replacements, in decent shape, for $4200 or less (max value of your Honda plus AC repair).

Just fix what you have it's cheaper and you already know the history of your ride. Buying used is buying someone else's problems.

Where did he mention something about a $4200.00 budget?
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 05:24 AM

My daily driver is usually a Crown Vic but this year I'm still driving the winter beater go anywhere 99 Yukon. We don't talk about gas mileage with that thing.

I tend to agree with Sniper. Unless you really want something different or you know the Honduh has other problems coming up fix it and keep going. You're going to spend more replacing it and if you get used you can easily spend the $1,200 the AC is going to cost on fixing someone elses problems.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

I was window shopping last night and found one close to that. 2012 200 Limited soft top, loaded. V6, leather, heated seats, NAV, remote start, 1 owner, clean car fax. Reduced to $5k. Only concern is 150,000 on the clock.

Attached picture 1360471087.jpg
Attached picture 1360471219.jpg

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumguy
This may not be the way you want to go, but I bought a 78 Dodge Magnum (surprised?) from an estate sale, 70 some thousand miles, 318 air car.

Looks familiar - did it come out of eastern PA?

BTW, this is one of my DDs and that last 200 would look "right" parked next to it.

Attached picture SAM_0793.JPG
Attached picture HPIM1668.JPG

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
I agree. And maybe a few minutes with a switch behind the barn.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
I agree. And maybe a few minutes with a switch behind the barn.

....,and a hammer and spank by the WHOLE CREW HERE !

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 09:27 PM

Sorry o/p, but I think you are going to have to get rid of your username and signature of Mopar Or No Car!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/23/19 10:19 PM

Check out some lease return electric cars. They depreciate like a rock but should still be in excellent condition with several years of warranty remaining. A new EV is a great commuter car. Nice and quiet and super low maintenance.They also have good performance from 0 to 60 although they don't have a lot of power above highway speeds. Since you drive round trip every day you can charge it up at night and be ready to go the next day. If you got one that had a 200 mile range you should be able to handle your 100 mile commute without any trouble. Just don't forget to charge it up at night or else you won't be able to go to work the next day!

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 12:04 AM

Am I still on Moparts or have I been re-directed?
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 08:06 AM

Why? If you insist on buying a gay car (anything not a sports car or muscle car) then buy something you dont have to EVER DO ANYTHING TO. I swear... some ov you guys just love working on junk or hanging out at the parts counter. Mopar site or not, a Mopar/Ford/Chevy sub/compact/sedan/whatever has NOTHING on a Honda/Toyota. Buy one ov the better Honda/Toyotas? You will literally forget how to do maintenance. I've put over 110K hard kms on my Celica GTS and Civic SI (combined) in the past 3 years. Aside from the factory stereo decks (in both) getting a bit... weird... NOT A SINGLE ISSUE EVER.

To the OP. I'd say you're mad to sell the Civic and not just fix it, but you did mention the stick getting a little hard on the shoulder, so i guess thats out. Its too bad too, as if i had one complaint about Honda/Toyota (aside from their fear ov making a V8 car), its that Japan never quite got the automatic transmission right. If you can live with it, fix the Civic and see a physio about the shoulder. Hell... its a Civic... just get a super-short throw shifter for it (probably for cheap or even used), and shift it with your wrist.

I'd get at least two more quotes on that price too... shop around for a backyard tech perhaps. $1200 is out to lunch.

By the way, if you're trying to 'justify costs', then you are money-conscious, so the answer is EASY. Keep it. You'll NEVER come close to getting ahead buying anything new or close to. Not even remotely. See the last bit on the second paragraph.

By the by the way, i drive a 2008 Civic Si. Bought it used with 'high mileage' and never hesitated a second. Well over 200K on it now and its still a brand new car. The higher performance the version, the better they're built... in EVERY way.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 12:41 PM

I would just fix it yourself. It is not difficult to replace the compressor and condenser on a Civic.

Here is nice kit for $265 for Civic coupe. https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Civic-...mp;psc=1&refRID=3G4JS918JBF7AGVSEV29
Then just take it somewhere for evac and charge. Or buy a set of gauges, vacuum pump,can tap and a couple cans of r134a..You can get a nice setup for around $150 or less if you go the horrible freight route.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 02:10 PM

Wow, this thread really took off.
Thought it was dying out, lol .

Ok for some replies to your comments :

NuthinbutMopar - Thought about the Minis, but not sure reliability and maintenance, and unfortunately looking away from manual trannys for my DD .

RRJD - Yeah I was thinking a Charger might fit the bill, but it is RWD so would have to figure something else out in winter I would think.
On the other hand I could park it on the field at Carlisle grin

A12 , was also looking at the Challenger SXT / GT s as well. But would if I got a Challenger I'd prefer it had a stick, and not sure my body can take the daily punishment in stop and go traffic.
Will still keep it in mind though wink

11SECDRT - Thought of the HRV s as well, but I think they are too much $ for what they are.

Magnum Guy - A Magnum, hadn't thought about that before, will look into it...

65 Pacecar - C5 vette, huh ? Surprised YOU weren't chastized for that, lol. Vettes are cool style wise , but not my thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ok Larry I get it, yes moniker doesn't match my DD . I would drive my 96 Ram 1500 to work if the A/C wasn't broken on that as well , lol .
Doc , I'm sure there's a secret forum here where you guys show daily floggings of those who dare say anything other than Mopar . blush whistling eek

Exit1965 , I've tried to like Prius' , but just can't . My friend drives one, and have been in it many times, but it seems it cannot get out of it's own way, lol .
It is dang quiet though, sneaks up and scares the crap out of me every time it pulls in wink

Andy F - Don't think I am comfortable with EV cars , and getting stuck if am using the car outside of daily use.
And are there any EV models other than Teslas that are in the 200 mile range?

Sniper and Pale Roader - Well so far I am keeping it, going to see how long I can take the intermittent A/C .
So like any man, I am going to wait till I can't take it any more, make a rash decision and buy emotionally , but it will likely be something fun , grin

RTSE - Thanks for the link for the fix, but this is out of my realm and have other physical limitations . I can barely work on my old cars, and keep up with the house issues, let alone take on a bigger job like this.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 03:00 PM

There are several now. Nissan Leaf Plus is the one I'd pick at this time. If you can take the price, IMHO, too much money for what it is. Tax credits will help with the initial sting.

Robert

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

There are several now. Nissan Leaf Plus is the one I'd pick at this time. If you can take the price, IMHO, too much money for what it is. Tax credits will help with the initial sting.

Robert

Coworker has an 18 Leaf, he gets about 130 on a charge. Differs between Summer and Winter and yeah, they are pricey even with credits.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 03:11 PM

Who knows about the model changes on Chargers.
There's a 16 R/T with low mileage I like locally.
Posted By: Satilite73

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 03:37 PM

RRJD - Yeah I was thinking a Charger might fit the bill, but it is RWD so would have to figure something else out in winter I would think.
On the other hand I could park it on the field at Carlisle

What about an AWD Charger?

CAR AND DRIVER REVIEW LINKY

shruggy
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 03:39 PM

Who knows about the model changes on Chargers.
There's a 16 R/T with low mileage I like locally.

Solid choice, a virtual twin to my '16 300. I get up to 18 MPG commuting and push 25 MPG on central Texas to New Mexico road trips.

Robert

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

shruggy

Thanks read through that. AWD is a possibility.

What's the difference between the R/T model and the R/T Road and Track model ?

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 05:09 PM

And who drives their new Charger long distances.
I hear the seats aren't that comfortable.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/24/19 10:52 PM

shruggy

Huh? R/T stands for "Road & Track" & always has since 1967. Just checked the fuel mileage 2 days ago on my 2016 300 with the 3.6L & it is getting 25.3 MPG around town. As far as electric vehicles - my brother (who knows everything) recently bought a new Honda hybrid whatever - a "Leaf", or a "Grain", or a "Seaweed", or a "Kelp" or whatever it is called. Sorry, I wouldn't gamble on something loaded with 40 batteries - but that's just me. What do I know?

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 02:00 AM

shruggy

Huh? R/T stands for "Road & Track" & always has since 1967. Just checked the fuel mileage 2 days ago on my 2016 300 with the 3.6L & it is getting 25.3 MPG around town. As far as electric vehicles - my brother (who knows everything) recently bought a new Honda hybrid whatever - a "Leaf", or a "Grain", or a "Seaweed", or a "Kelp" or whatever it is called. Sorry, I wouldn't gamble on something loaded with 40 batteries - but that's just me. What do I know?

The R/T Road and Track model comes standard with more features than the regular R/T. First it has the red and silver “Heritage” badging on the grill and decklid and is more performance oriented. Just to name some of the differences, it comes with the Nappa leather and alcantra seats with embroidered logo versus the”Sport” cloth seats with accent stitching in the base R/T, different standard forged wheels that are optional on the R/T, seat and pedal memory system standard, power driver and passenger seats and lumbar in both standard, different lighting, heated and ventilated front seats and heated rear seat are standard but optional package on R/T, paddle shifters, sport mode 2/performance pages, blackout grill, 3.07 rear, sport suspension, heavier duty brakes, performance tires, 230 mm rear axle and most important, the high speed engine controller. It is a much different driving and more optioned car than the standard R/T.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 02:58 AM

How about the RT Max ?

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 03:15 AM

I don’t know if the Road and Track performance group is standard on any other Charger model? You could order a Super Track Pack option on Chargers in 2013/2014 with the 3.06 rear, paddle shifters, high speed engine controller, etc., but I don’t know if it was available on the 2015 and up models. I believe in 2015 and up, you can only get the performance group with the Road and Track model? Again, the red and silver R/T badging only comes on the Road and Track model. All new Charger R/T’s are not created equal.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 06:09 AM

Wow, this thread really took off.
Thought it was dying out, lol .

Ok for some replies to your comments :

NuthinbutMopar - Thought about the Minis, but not sure reliability and maintenance, and unfortunately looking away from manual trannys for my DD .

On the other hand I could park it on the field at Carlisle grin

A12 , was also looking at the Challenger SXT / GT s as well. But would if I got a Challenger I'd prefer it had a stick, and not sure my body can take the daily punishment in stop and go traffic.
Will still keep it in mind though wink

11SECDRT - Thought of the HRV s as well, but I think they are too much $ for what they are.

Magnum Guy - A Magnum, hadn't thought about that before, will look into it...

65 Pacecar - C5 vette, huh ? Surprised YOU weren't chastized for that, lol. Vettes are cool style wise , but not my thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ok Larry I get it, yes moniker doesn't match my DD . I would drive my 96 Ram 1500 to work if the A/C wasn't broken on that as well , lol .
Doc , I'm sure there's a secret forum here where you guys show daily floggings of those who dare say anything other than Mopar . blush whistling eek

Exit1965 , I've tried to like Prius' , but just can't . My friend drives one, and have been in it many times, but it seems it cannot get out of it's own way, lol .
It is dang quiet though, sneaks up and scares the crap out of me every time it pulls in wink

Andy F - Don't think I am comfortable with EV cars , and getting stuck if am using the car outside of daily use.

Sniper and Pale Roader - Well so far I am keeping it, going to see how long I can take the intermittent A/C .
So like any man, I am going to wait till I can't take it any more, make a rash decision and buy emotionally , but it will likely be something fun , grin

RTSE - Thanks for the link for the fix, but this is out of my realm and have other physical limitations . I can barely work on my old cars, and keep up with the house issues, let alone take on a bigger job like this.

Well, this post and your first post are conflicting. It looks like (from the above) that you just want a new car to play with. I get that, but thats throwing away a lot ov money. Oh well, have fun regardless. Just remember, automatics make baby Jesus cry.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 11:07 AM

I am not an A/C expert but why would you need to change a compressor and condenser for an intermittent problem?
To me if the compressor failed internally it would not work at all. Maybe it is just the compressor clutch not engaging intermittently?

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerJD

shruggy

The R/T Road and Track model comes standard with more features than the regular R/T. First it has the red and silver “Heritage” badging on the grill and decklid and is more performance oriented. Just to name some of the differences, it comes with the Nappa leather and alcantra seats with embroidered logo versus the”Sport” cloth seats with accent stitching in the base R/T, different standard forged wheels that are optional on the R/T, seat and pedal memory system standard, power driver and passenger seats and lumbar in both standard, different lighting, heated and ventilated front seats and heated rear seat are standard but optional package on R/T, paddle shifters, sport mode 2/performance pages, blackout grill, 3.07 rear, sport suspension, heavier duty brakes, performance tires, 230 mm rear axle and most important, the high speed engine controller. It is a much different driving and more optioned car than the standard R/T.

Thanks very much JD, that was very helpful. I think the one I am looking at is a R/T Road and Track Model. Definitely has the leather seats, but will check other options in person. Hopefully it still has the window sticker as well.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 12:13 PM

[/quote]

Well, this post and your first post are conflicting. It looks like (from the above) that you just want a new car to play with. I get that, but thats throwing away a lot ov money. Oh well, have fun regardless. Just remember, automatics make baby Jesus cry. [/quote]

I am clearly not sure what to do .
But I am leaning on the fence about getting something new to me at this point, as my aching body is looking for some relief.

I while I would normally agree about your comment on automatics, what's making ME cry these days is the daily physical pain from shifting in stop and go traffic with a long commute.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RWG75

BTW, this is one of my DDs and that last 200 would look "right" parked next to it.

er, um........ can i ask about the 2x4 holding up the roof lumber ? biggrin
beer

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME

I am not an A/C expert but why would you need to change a compressor and condenser for an intermittent problem?
To me if the compressor failed internally it would not work at all. Maybe it is just the compressor clutch not engaging intermittently?

From what my mechanics are telling me , and it's their best guess, is that there are so man fins missing from the condenser that it is causing issue with the compressor, so they suggest changing both .
Could just be the compressor clutch, but am guessing it is part of the whole assembly.
I have to go by the guys I have trusted with my cars for many years.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

er, um........ can i ask about the 2x4 holding up the roof lumber ? biggrin
beer

It's how you pop the weather seals when removing the hard top that hasn't been off since it was built. Note the small floor jack where the center console should be. Take the bolts out, pump up the jack, wait for the seals to let go. If done patiently the seals will still work when ya put the top back on.

Attached picture HPIM1671.JPG

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 02:03 PM

RWD in the winter: snow tires.

I once picked up a parts car that came with studded snows. Put them on one of my 70s B body and that thing would roll through anything. I even tried to get it sideways in a blizzard and failed. They're not legal everywhere but they rock.
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME

From what my mechanics are telling me , and it's their best guess, is that there are so man fins missing from the condenser that it is causing issue with the compressor, so they suggest changing both .
Could just be the compressor clutch, but am guessing it is part of the whole assembly.
I have to go by the guys I have trusted with my cars for many years.

From what I've seen you can lose a lot of fins from the condenser and not notice much of a difference on the A/C temperature. Usually the ones missing are just behind the air intake in the bumper anyhow (from stone chips and whatnot) so there is still a lot of cooling area left. As long as the condenser is not leaking I wouldn't change it - even if it wasn't cooling enough it shouldn't result in your compressor not working.

The more likely culprit is the coil for the clutch. I've heard of them going open circuit when they get hot and then working again when they cool down, so I'm guessing that's all it needs. If you replace the coil it's probably a good idea to replace the clutch as well, since they can become rusty and worn over time, and you have to take the clutch off to get at the coil anyhow.

Just my twocents

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 06:22 PM

I once picked up a parts car that came with studded snows. Put them on one of my 70s B body and that thing would roll through anything. I even tried to get it sideways in a blizzard and failed. They're not legal everywhere but they rock.

You can also look for a 2012-2014 Charger R/T AWD or a newer Charger with the 3.6 and AWD. People that have the AWD Chargers really love them.
Posted By: greenmcode

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 06:34 PM

I love my ferd sho.. All wheel drive 6cyl twin turbo with some bolt on go fast parts best et 12.18 at 114 mph and gets 22mpg..

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerJD

You can also look for a 2012-2014 Charger R/T AWD or a newer Charger with the 3.6 and AWD. People that have the AWD Chargers really love them.

Snow tires definitely in winter, if I decide to drive in it wink

Will look into a current AWD model, didn't want to go quite back that far in model.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 06:51 PM

"The more likely culprit is the coil for the clutch. I've heard of them going open circuit when they get hot and then working again when they cool down, so I'm guessing that's all it needs. If you replace the coil it's probably a good idea to replace the clutch as well, since they can become rusty and worn over time, and you have to take the clutch off to get at the coil anyhow.

Just my twocents

Thanks Chryco, good info, I'll see if they can check that out . up

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by greenmcode
I love my ferd sho.. All wheel drive 6cyl twin turbo with some bolt on go fast parts best et 12.18 at 114 mph and gets 22mpg..

Careful Scott, Larry and Doc, might bring you out back and take a switch to you ... laugh2

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 08:02 PM

The R/T Road and Track model comes standard with more features than the regular R/T. First it has the red and silver “Heritage” badging on the grill and decklid and is more performance oriented. Just to name some of the differences, it comes with the Nappa leather and alcantra seats with embroidered logo versus the”Sport” cloth seats with accent stitching in the base R/T, different standard forged wheels that are optional on the R/T, seat and pedal memory system standard, power driver and passenger seats and lumbar in both standard, different lighting, heated and ventilated front seats and heated rear seat are standard but optional package on R/T, paddle shifters, sport mode 2/performance pages, blackout grill, 3.07 rear, sport suspension, heavier duty brakes, performance tires, 230 mm rear axle and most important, the high speed engine controller. It is a much different driving and more optioned car than the standard R/T. [/quote]

Thanks very much JD, that was very helpful. I think the one I am looking at is a R/T Road and Track Model. Definitely has the leather seats, but will check other options in person. Hopefully it still has the window sticker as well. [/quote]

Turns out the one I am looking at is the R/T Black Top Edition with Customer Preferred Package 29N , NOT the R/T Road and Track Model.
Will still check it out though.

Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/25/19 09:50 PM

"The more likely culprit is the coil for the clutch. I've heard of them going open circuit when they get hot and then working again when they cool down, so I'm guessing that's all it needs. If you replace the coil it's probably a good idea to replace the clutch as well, since they can become rusty and worn over time, and you have to take the clutch off to get at the coil anyhow.

Just my twocents

Thanks Chryco, good info, I'll see if they can check that out . up

Hope it works out for you one way or the other. Good luck!

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 05:57 AM

I once picked up a parts car that came with studded snows. Put them on one of my 70s B body and that thing would roll through anything. I even tried to get it sideways in a blizzard and failed.

Heh... then you need more power. My 68 Caddy hearse came with 30" studded snows. That sucker DUG HOLES. Smoke shows are so... plebian. Now... spark shows...

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 06:00 AM

I while I would normally agree about your comment on automatics, what's making ME cry these days is the daily physical pain from shifting in stop and go traffic with a long commute.

If you want to keep the lil bomber, then look into an aftermarket shifter. I dont know what was in my 2000 Celica GTS, it was installed by the previous owner and had no markings, but i could shift that car without even moving my elbow. TINY throw to it, and so smooth. Honda has soooooooooo much aftermarket they might make something you can use and keep your stick. Good chance you can find it used too.

But... traffic sucks. I get that. I'd quit my job before i bought an automatic... Hahahaha.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 10:19 AM

Here is my recommendation

Get a used 2012-2014 Passat TDI - SE or SE Premium.

You will be spending about $10000 but you'll be getting about 45MPG

The car is big enough that you should be comfortable.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

If you want to keep the lil bomber, then look into an aftermarket shifter. I dont know what was in my 2000 Celica GTS, it was installed by the previous owner and had no markings, but i could shift that car without even moving my elbow. TINY throw to it, and so smooth. Honda has soooooooooo much aftermarket they might make something you can use and keep your stick. Good chance you can find it used too.

But... traffic sucks. I get that. I'd quit my job before i bought an automatic... Hahahaha.

Good idea Roader, I'll look into a smaller shifter. If I do end up getting something RWD and don't want to beat it in the winter, I'll keep the Civic and a short throw shifter may help.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morty426
Here is my recommendation

Get a used 2012-2014 Passat TDI - SE or SE Premium.

You will be spending about $10000 but you'll be getting about 45MPG

The car is big enough that you should be comfortable.

Thanks for the suggestion Morty, not really a VW fan, and never had a diesel car before.
Don't like that most gas stations near me only have 1 pump for diesel, and is usually taken up by trucks when I'm there.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 04:51 PM

Ok, I get having a Honda or Toyota for long distance daily driving, if you can handle it. I am truly a Mopar Or No Car guy myself, and could never own anything but. However, I'm just giving you a hard time about Honda/Toyota daily driver for those long commutes.

BUT, what I can't understand is driving a Phord or Chebby or recommending one to anyone. You're in big trouble little mister!

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 05:34 PM

Challenger GT AWD's seem to hold their value, here's a 2017 with 29k miles and they are asking $26,978 for it. It's a loaded GT AWD with leather, sunroof, etc.

Just an example of what I'm thinking of helping my son get as a daily driver as he drives 25 miles each way or 50 total year round in the snow and lake effect snow belt five days a week so AWD in our opinion is a necessity. His current car gets 22 MPG so the 27 MPG will help. The way he drives he can probably stretch that to 30 MPG as it is 95% hwy and his car is rated at 18 MPG and he gets as mentioned 22 MPG and sometimes even a little more.

Mike

MONC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Magnumguy, I LOVE that daily driver Magnum of yours!!!!

Thanks! I’ve won a few trophies with it as well. Get lots of thumbs ups laugh

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/26/19 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumguy

Looks familiar - did it come out of eastern PA?

Why yes, yes it did. Allentown area if memory serves. You familiar with it?

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/27/19 12:01 PM

My last pre retirement bs job was in allentown - looks identical to one I spotted in the parking lot one day. Very nice survivor but as I recall it only had a 318. Day I started working there, some guy pounced on me because of my Daytona, started telling me about his chebies and this Magnum he had a hard on for. A year or two later he showed up with one and I gave it a quick look. Tried to talk him out of the planned repaint as the original paint looked really good. Was surprised when he sold it as don't think he had it for even a year. Probably something to do with the 318 but I could have fixed that.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 06/27/19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Challenger GT AWD's seem to hold their value, here's a 2017 with 29k miles and they are asking $26,978 for it. It's a loaded GT AWD with leather, sunroof, etc.

Just an example of what I'm thinking of helping my son get as a daily driver as he drives 25 miles each way or 50 total year round in the snow and lake effect snow belt five days a week so AWD in our opinion is a necessity. His current car gets 22 MPG so the 27 MPG will help. The way he drives he can probably stretch that to 30 MPG as it is 95% hwy and his car is rated at 18 MPG and he gets as mentioned 22 MPG and sometimes even a little more.

Mike

MONC

Thanks for the reply Mike,
You're a good Dad if you're helping your son get into a cool car like that ! up wink

As much as I want a Challenger, am primarily looking for a 4 door vehicle.

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 07/21/19 10:51 PM

Well finally had to do something .
This one was local to me, and it was loaded with only 2,200 miles on it.
2016 Charger R/T Plum Crazy Blacktop Edition.

Bonus, I got to take it to Carlisle and park on the showfield wink
Averaged 27mpg on Carlisle trip, have been averaging between 25-26 on commute to work.

On top of that it looks great with the rest of the " fleet" grin

Attached picture FM3 TA FC7 RT.jpg

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 07/21/19 10:53 PM

Dodge , Dodge, Dodge, and oh a Dodge...

Attached picture All 4 angle.jpg

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 07/22/19 12:17 AM

TGIAM........................ up up very NICE............really thought you would end up with AWD but hey with a good set of snow tires at all four corners there's little that will stop you I'm sure. A '16 with only 2k miles GREAT SCORE up

Mike

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 07/22/19 02:35 PM

Thanks A12.
Short term goal is the drive the other car in the winter, so this one sees warmer weather wink

What dies TGIAM stand for?

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 07/25/19 07:02 AM

Thanks A12.
Short term goal is the drive the other car in the winter, so this one sees warmer weather wink

What does TGIAM stand for?

Thank God It''s A Mopar.....................because you would have had to bear the burden and wrath of Moparts if it wasn't (JK) laugh2

Great choice........of course MONC up

Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Daily Driver Suggestions - 07/25/19 08:13 AM

Congratulations on the new Charger. Looks great with your older muscle.

Dave
© 2019 Moparts Forums