Moparts

Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue

Posted By: 360view

Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 12:51 PM

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a27442948/cold-blue-b17-documentary/

Sample quote

That changes on May 23 with the nationwide, one-night-only theatrical screening of The Cold Blue, an extraordinary new documentary that makes use of recently discovered battle footage and miraculous film restoration technology. The film is the astounding result of a three-year labor by documentarian Erik Nelson, whose four-decade career includes producing Werner Herzog’s Grizzly Man, Discovery Channel’s Unsolved History series and numerous World War II documentaries, including Anne Frank’s Holocaust.

After discovering largely unseen B-17 footage in both American and German archives, Nelson’s groundbreaking documentary eventually drew support and contributions from late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch studio, sound design maestro David Hughes (Black Panther, Pirates of the Caribbean series), folk-rock legend Richard Thompson and, most importantly, nine B-17 crewmen, all now in their 90s.

End quote
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 03:06 PM

I've gotta see this one.
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 03:25 PM

Thanks for this info! Without your post I would have never known. Now I gotta figure out how to get my bride to ride over to Greensboro (about 30 miles) to see this movie with me. The timing of this post is kind of ironic for me since I'm sitting here wearing the Movie Memphis Belle polo shirt I bought the day I saw this 17 for the second time. I was scheduled to fly on it that day, but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. Flying on one is still THE thing on my bucket list I most want to do! One day it's going to happen...

Attached picture 59470129_10214116826057075_8946421026506407936_n.jpg
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 03:37 PM

I feel your pain...several years ago my wife bought me a ticket to ride on Nine O Nine for our wedding anniversary. And the same thing happened.......I got a T shirt and a hat though.....
The Movie Belle was the first (and so far only B-17 I got to see fly. Awesome sight and sounds.

Attached picture PTDC0009.JPG
Attached picture PTDC0022.JPG
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 06:21 PM

Nine O' Nine, Aluminum Overcast, the Belle, I don't care which one! Just wish more of them (as if there were many!) would come somewhere relatively close so I can make it happen!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 09:05 PM

I have seen several of the B17 survivors on displays as well as two of the remaining flying aircraft, they are tiny compared to todays military bombers and transport aircraft scope
I can't imagine being any where from 17 yrs to 25 yrs. old flying and fighting in those airplanes during WW2, especially in Europe in the winter shock
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 09:23 PM

Thanks for posting... always been a big fan of the B-17 (and most other WWII aircraft)... will definitely have to see this.

Got to see the Lancaster in the Canadian Aerospace and Aviation Museum last summer. It's basically a new old stock Lancaster - built at the end of the war, delivered overseas but never flew any missions. Then mothballed for a number of years and briefly put into patrol service. Very cool to see it up close.

https://ingeniumcanada.org/aviation/collection-research/artifact-avro-lancaster-x.php

[Linked Image]

Quote
History:

The "Lanc" was arguably the best heavy bomber used in Europe in Second World War. Although somewhat vulnerable to fighter attack, it was relatively fast, had a high ceiling, and could carry enormous loads for its size. Victory Aircraft at Malton, Ontario, produced the first Canadian-built Lancaster, a Mark X, first flown August 1, 1943. Many Canadian-built Mark Xs served overseas with No.6 Group. The Lancaster continued in the RCAF until 1965 for maritime patrol, photo survey, search and rescue, and navigator training.

Wartime crew was a pilot, flight engineer, navigator, bomb aimer, radio operator and two gunners. Peacetime maritime patrol crew was two pilots, flight engineer, two navigators, and three radio officers. A late Mark X, the museum aircraft has a Martin upper turret with two 50-calibre guns. Maritime patrol versions had no top turret, and only the front turret was armed with two .303-calibre machine guns. Drafty, noisy, and uncomfortable on long flights, the Lancaster was nevertheless strong, reliable, and a delight to fly. Pilot Officer A.C. Mynarski won a posthumous Victoria Cross for bravery in a Canadian Lancaster during an attack on Cambrai, France.
Current Location:

Second World War Exhibition, Canada Aviation and Space Museum
Provenance:

Transfer from RCAF

Built in 1945, this is the most complete Lancaster X in existence, remaining very close to its wartime condition. It was delivered overseas to No. 425 Alouette Squadron RCAF in May 1945, but arrived too late to take part in bombing operations and was placed in long-term storage the same year.

In 1952, it served with No. 404 Maritime Patrol Squadron RCAF in Greenwood, Nova Scotia for a short period of time. The RCAF restored the aircraft in 1964, applying the nose art and squadron markings of an aircraft from No. 428 Squadron, RCAF. The tiny bombs painted on the port side of the nose indicate the number of sorties the aircraft made. The Lancaster was placed in the RCAF's historic aircraft collection in 1964, and was transferred to the Museum, along with the rest of the collection, later that year.


As cool as that was to see, I want to see a B-17 even more. They were truly (IMHO) the gnarliest, toughest bombers in the air during WWII.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/22/19 11:55 PM

Picked my son up from collage last Friday & he knew about it so I reserved 4 seats @ the closest theater to us cant wait to see it.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I have seen several of the B17 survivors on displays as well as two of the remaining flying aircraft, they are tiny compared to todays military bombers and transport aircraft scope
I can't imagine being any where from 17 yrs to 25 yrs. old flying and fighting in those airplanes during WW2, especially in Europe in the winter shock


looking in the bomber cockpit at the ww2 museum in New Orleans I thought the same thing, they look a lot bigger in the old movies.. Same with the fighters - imagine flying long distances in them over the open ocean. bow
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 12:49 AM

Dang, one night only. I will have to see it on HBO frown
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Thanks for posting... always been a big fan of the B-17 (and most other WWII aircraft)... will definitely have to see this.

Got to see the Lancaster in the Canadian Aerospace and Aviation Museum last summer. It's basically a new old stock Lancaster - built at the end of the war, delivered overseas but never flew any missions. Then mothballed for a number of years and briefly put into patrol service. Very cool to see it up close.

https://ingeniumcanada.org/aviation/collection-research/artifact-avro-lancaster-x.php

[Linked Image]

Quote
History:

The "Lanc" was arguably the best heavy bomber used in Europe in Second World War. Although somewhat vulnerable to fighter attack, it was relatively fast, had a high ceiling, and could carry enormous loads for its size. Victory Aircraft at Malton, Ontario, produced the first Canadian-built Lancaster, a Mark X, first flown August 1, 1943. Many Canadian-built Mark Xs served overseas with No.6 Group. The Lancaster continued in the RCAF until 1965 for maritime patrol, photo survey, search and rescue, and navigator training.

Wartime crew was a pilot, flight engineer, navigator, bomb aimer, radio operator and two gunners. Peacetime maritime patrol crew was two pilots, flight engineer, two navigators, and three radio officers. A late Mark X, the museum aircraft has a Martin upper turret with two 50-calibre guns. Maritime patrol versions had no top turret, and only the front turret was armed with two .303-calibre machine guns. Drafty, noisy, and uncomfortable on long flights, the Lancaster was nevertheless strong, reliable, and a delight to fly. Pilot Officer A.C. Mynarski won a posthumous Victoria Cross for bravery in a Canadian Lancaster during an attack on Cambrai, France.
Current Location:

Second World War Exhibition, Canada Aviation and Space Museum
Provenance:

Transfer from RCAF

Built in 1945, this is the most complete Lancaster X in existence, remaining very close to its wartime condition. It was delivered overseas to No. 425 Alouette Squadron RCAF in May 1945, but arrived too late to take part in bombing operations and was placed in long-term storage the same year.

In 1952, it served with No. 404 Maritime Patrol Squadron RCAF in Greenwood, Nova Scotia for a short period of time. The RCAF restored the aircraft in 1964, applying the nose art and squadron markings of an aircraft from No. 428 Squadron, RCAF. The tiny bombs painted on the port side of the nose indicate the number of sorties the aircraft made. The Lancaster was placed in the RCAF's historic aircraft collection in 1964, and was transferred to the Museum, along with the rest of the collection, later that year.


As cool as that was to see, I want to see a B-17 even more. They were truly (IMHO) the gnarliest, toughest bombers in the air during WWII.

You are making your decision on which WW2 bomber was the gnarliest bomber base on the information the entertainment industry has fed us since the end of WW@2, the B24 was far better as a bomber when comparing bomb loads and distances they could fly to their targets ability scope
Both of those aircraft flew in most of WW2, unlike the B29 which enter service later after the war was being fought work
The two nuclear bombs drop on Japan by the B29 was what ended W.W. 2 bow work
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by rrbrucea
Nine O' Nine, Aluminum Overcast, the Belle, I don't care which one! Just wish more of them (as if there were many!) would come somewhere relatively close so I can make it happen!


Thanks OP - never knew this was playing tomorrow night only - I'll be going to see it.

Me & 3 other buddies took a flight on Yankee Lady about 4 years ago. It was totally worth it & amazing.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by rrbrucea
Thanks for this info! Without your post I would have never known. Now I gotta figure out how to get my bride to ride over to Greensboro (about 30 miles) to see this movie with me. The timing of this post is kind of ironic for me since I'm sitting here wearing the Movie Memphis Belle polo shirt I bought the day I saw this 17 for the second time. I was scheduled to fly on it that day, but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. Flying on one is still THE thing on my bucket list I most want to do! One day it's going to happen...


This June has the annual MAAM.org show in Reading PA. Can book flights in a B-17. Was a great show last years; nice weather. Didn't fly in a B-17. But standing beside one & glancing inside, you're almost speechless thinking about what they had to endure & the courage it took to do it.
Posted By: floyd

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 12:00 PM

It will be cool to see this on a big screen, but I believe HBO is going to show this film on 6 Jun if you can’t get to a theater.
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

You are making your decision on which WW2 bomber was the gnarliest bomber base on the information the entertainment industry has fed us since the end of WW@2, the B24 was far better as a bomber when comparing bomb loads and distances they could fly to their targets ability scope
Both of those aircraft flew in most of WW2, unlike the B29 which enter service later after the war was being fought work
The two nuclear bombs drop on Japan by the B29 was what ended W.W. 2 bow work


Actually, I haven't seen much of what the entertainment industry has put out on it... presumably you are talking about movies like Memphis Belle (which I haven't seen)?

From reading stories of bomber crews and watching documentaries, etc., I'm left with the impression that, while the other bombers had better specs for bomb loads and range, they were also harder to fly and were somewhat fragile compared to the B-17.

Same with the Lancaster I mentioned... it would not take much flak before it would break up and crash to the ground, whereas I've seen videos of B-17s making it back to base after a mission, missing half their engines, large sections of wings and tail, etc.

The impression I get is that the air crews, the guys actually putting it on the line, preferred the B-17s whereas the upper level Air Force staff preferred the B-24s due to their bomb load and range capacities. i.e. the B-17s were better for getting back alive while the B-24s were better for bombing mission planning...

I stand by my statement.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by floyd
It will be cool to see this on a big screen, but I believe HBO is going to show this film on 6 Jun if you can’t get to a theater.


iagree That's what I'm waiting for ! up
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 06:46 PM

Just purchased two tickets for the only screening this evening here in Brooklyn. Waiting on anticipation. Don't worry folks, I won't give away the ending unless asked to.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 06:51 PM

I could be wrong, but were the B-17's flown their sorties at lower ceilings thus more vulnerable to stronger impact flak compared to B-others that could be at higher ceiling levels for safety?

Fascinating and also a sign of when a country is backed up against a wall, what the assembly lines, (in Detroit and elsewhere) mechanics, flight crews and public will do to prevail.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/23/19 07:00 PM

The 8th AF flew at 19,000 feet plus. When the B-29s started bombing Japan, they were getting poor results because of the jet stream. That's when General LeMay changed tactics and started bombing at night at low altitude.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/24/19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by basketcase
The 8th AF flew at 19,000 feet plus. When the B-29s started bombing Japan, they were getting poor results because of the jet stream. That's when General LeMay changed tactics and started bombing at night at low altitude.


Agreed. Some missions they bombed from MUCH higher - like even 30,000 feet. As far as flak, the Germans got damn good at dialing in the altitudes of the bomber groups - they could hit them at any altitude. Black, oily clouds with bright orange in the middle. The shrapnel was totally indiscriminate & plowed through anything in it's path. That would be scary as hell.

BTW, I missed the movie tonight - an impromptu trip to buy a car today in Ohio got me back too late. DAMN! Anybody who saw it, how was it?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/24/19 05:43 AM

The stories I heard about the choice on WW2 bombers from the crews was that the B24 was better, safer and better liked than the Flying Fortress B17 confused
I've seen pictures of both bombers with severe air frame damage surviving and returning to base with the crew. Some of those airplanes where canabilzed later for parts to keep other airplanes flying thumbs
I knew one B24 navigator who flew out of North Africa on bombing mission into Romaina to bomb the oil fields, I think they ended up being relocated to Italy to fly missions into Germany later shruggy
I can't remember the exact numbers I've heard of the B24 versus the B17 that flew combat missions in both theater, I do remember the B24 having a lot more airplane in services according to the story tellers years ago shruggy
I do think the B17 looked a lot better than the B24 did though work
My favorite WW2 fighter is the P38, my favorite medium bomber is both the B25 and B26, my favorite heavy bomber is the B29.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/24/19 03:29 PM

Saw it last night with my Son. Sadly not enough publicity to pack the theater. Maybe just about 30 souls in the seats in a seating arrangement of about 150 or so.

In short, A sweet love letter of a film about those young men that took the ultimate leap of faith, sometimes literally out of falling fortresses. It is slow in growth and fearful in other areas with the sound and music. I would honestly say, kudos to the director for bringing forth their respective memories.

You leave with a sense that we as a country pretty much did not have the war effort all figured out and the Germans did, and subsequently that is why we struggled against them for a few years.
We were just desperately more determined as well as the British even though they weren't happy with our friendly occupation of their country to set off those raids. Nuff said.
Sometimes it is the inanimate objects of our youth that set off a grand fondness such as those B's
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/24/19 04:37 PM

I saw the movie last night, well done, the work to restore the original film was incredible. It was interesting listening to the surviving crewman talk about their experiences, insights on the plane and flying in them, some of the footage was awesome to see, and learning a couple of the cameramen lost their lives while fliming, as they were in planes that were shot down and so forth.
Seeing and hearing all they went thru just further proves for me they were the greatest generation.
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/24/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
The stories I heard about the choice on WW2 bombers from the crews was that the B24 was better, safer and better liked than the Flying Fortress B17 confused
I've seen pictures of both bombers with severe air frame damage surviving and returning to base with the crew. Some of those airplanes where canabilzed later for parts to keep other airplanes flying thumbs
I knew one B24 navigator who flew out of North Africa on bombing mission into Romaina to bomb the oil fields, I think they ended up being relocated to Italy to fly missions into Germany later shruggy
I can't remember the exact numbers I've heard of the B24 versus the B17 that flew combat missions in both theater, I do remember the B24 having a lot more airplane in services according to the story tellers years ago shruggy
I do think the B17 looked a lot better than the B24 did though work
My favorite WW2 fighter is the P38, my favorite medium bomber is both the B25 and B26, my favorite heavy bomber is the B29.


Yeah, I can't dispute one way or another as I wasn't there. Let me just summarize by saying I'm a huge fan of the 17 and leave it at that.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/24/19 06:02 PM

If you have never been inside one of these planes, you need to do so. They definitely are not as roomy as they are in the movies. I remember crawling thru a B-17 at the Air Force Museum when I was in Jr High. Not as easily a few years ago when we went thru Nine O Nine. And that was in jeans and a t shirt. Not bouncing around in full flying geat at 20,000 feet. How anyone ever got out of one of these aircraft on it's way down is a miracle. For most of the aircraft, you have basically the thickness of a beer car between you and the German flak and bullets. We ll were young,dumb, and bullet proof, but a trip or two over Germany would take that away.
God Bless the Men and Women from that period.
Posted By: Southern Wolf

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/24/19 11:12 PM

My uncle was the engineer an top turret gunner in a B24. They were shot up badly in their 13th mission and crash landed in Sweden.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/25/19 01:09 AM

Darn, didn't get to see it here.
My wife's grandfather was a navigator on a B-24H w 847th Sqn, 489th BG ( https://489th-bomb-group-museum.org/Home/ )

Started training only 19 years old and survived 39 bombing missions over Germany.. which earned him the Distinguished Flying Cross..
Super nice, family guy, told a few good stories. My wife got his memorabilia when he passed away; books, the medal, a money roll, some photos and keepsakes - grandma already threw out his bomber jacket soon as he got home. He saw the first German jet fighters in action, he said they were like watching a science fiction movie ought outside your window, except they were real. Their original training was in a B-24F, then checked into the H. The flight to England took them down to Brazil then across to Africa via the Azores, and up to England. Their squadron lost aircraft and crews just on the crossing, whether lost, ditched, or drowned, they just never arrived.

I built this 1/72 model of his aircraft.
- Art

Attached picture IMG_6907.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/25/19 03:08 AM

I gotta see this ! Ron
Posted By: bremotorsports

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/25/19 05:50 PM



I have flown in the Yankee Lady B-17 out this way at the WWII Weekend at Reading, PA, Regional Airport. Awesome! I attend this event every year.

Flights can be booked for several of the aircraft in attendance (B17, B29, B24, B25, SB2C, C47, P40, etc. so get off of your butt and do it! LOL. There will be a REAL Japanese Zero there this year.


Go to their website for all of the info, including almost 2000 reenactors, vehicles, veterans, military gear vendors, special events etc. A fantastic weekend for anyone that has never been there!

www.maam.org Click on WWII Weekend

Bill Rolik
Posted By: 360view

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue - 05/27/19 12:02 PM

Stopped at a yard sale on Sunday. 95 cents each.
Moparts is at fault for causing me to splurge on $2 for 2 hours of viewing.
I will stick them in my Go Video VR3840 and try to make DVDs from these older VHS tapes, another 60 cents.

Attached picture image.jpeg
© 2019 Moparts Forums