Moparts

Living in Prescott Az?

Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Living in Prescott Az? - 12/15/18 10:21 PM

House is for sale and looking to make a good move. Does anyone live in Prescott Az? I'm looking for a decent sized city (under 150,000) with a good overall climate, decent access to car hobby activities etc. Job opportunities are not a factor.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/15/18 10:26 PM

You sure ya wanna live among us "Yankees"? laugh2
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/15/18 10:38 PM

We have better weather and you can drive your car year round. Woodland, CA is rather nice
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/15/18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426
Woodland, CA is rather nice

Nice city and Reiff's annual Get together is one of funnest events i have ever been too! Does he still put it on anymore??

Stu
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/15/18 10:48 PM

are cAnAdIaNs allowed in the USA now ? ... biggrin
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/15/18 11:30 PM

Canookies can cross the border with a drivers license ,,,I think work

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/15/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis

....at the LEASTest there should be a special toll assessed Santa4
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 01:17 AM

Nice area.
Great location between Sedona and Phoenix.
I have a friend who is a real estate broker in the area. PM me if you want a connection.
Posted By: topside

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 01:33 AM

Arizona over California any & every day. Prescott was really pretty last time I was there, but fairly far from the population centers if that matters.

For relocating, I always recommend that folks 1st do some homework - Google, looking at maps, elevation/resources/taxes & etc. Then, rent a place in the proposed location and learn the area, check the "fit" so to speak. Only then, after you know you're Home, put down roots.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
House is for sale and looking to make a good move. Does anyone live in Prescott Az? I'm looking for a decent sized city (under 150,000) with a good overall climate, decent access to car hobby activities etc. Job opportunities are not a factor.

Prescott is ok most people live there because it's cooler temperature than Phoenix. However Prescott is higher in elevation so you bake quicker and you have humidity from the lake.

There's full shopping there Costco, Wallyword etc with plenty of places to eat. Whiskey road is cool and there is always something going on in the square.

We go to the swap meet and car show in the park which has always given us something to buy.

If I had a choice between Prescott and Phoenix I would go Phoenix just because of the amount of events in the winter months. Look at New River or North Phoenix depending if you want an acre of land.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 04:10 AM

AZ is great, my dad lives there. But if I was going to move, I'd strongly consider the Gulf coast of Florida. The car scene there is amazing; tons of shows, swap meets, cruise ins, drag strip and circle tracks galore. Plus it doesn't get as cold at night as AZ and there is no state income tax.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 04:25 AM

Too many kommiefornians moving east...its not as nice as it was, prices have skyrocketed for homes over the last 20 years. Look at some places like Mesquite, its only 100 miles from Vegas and the altitude is under 1000'
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis

An enhanced licence is required for that.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 05:02 AM

I live in Chino Valley (to the North) and work in Prescott Valley (to the east).

Older conservative area with a bunch of car and 2A people.
Prescott is expensive real estate. Outside of Prescott is cheaper.
Check City-data.com for stats.
Look at trulia and windermere for housing, they both have good internet interface.
Temps are between PHX and Flagstaff, just as the elevation and map would indicate.
With the smaller population, you are not going to have the same ANYTHING as a large Metropolis like PHX. Not as many car clubs and swap meets, but also not the traffic.

IT'S DRY. Many people have no problem acclimating to it, but it is below 15% most of the time. You see pics of trees, but it's still the southwest.
http://www.landsat.com/prescott-arizona-aerial-photography-map.html
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 07:53 AM

You can move in with Moparpollock. I’m sure there’s you in the back seat of some of his junk.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By RodStRace
I live in Chino Valley (to the North) and work in Prescott Valley (to the east).

Look at trulia and windermere for housing, they both have good internet interface.
Temps are between PHX and Flagstaff, just as the elevation and map would indicate.
With the smaller population, you are not going to have the same ANYTHING as a large Metropolis like PHX. Not as many car clubs and swap meets, but also not the traffic.

IT'S DRY. Many people have no problem acclimating to it, but it is below 15% most of the time. You see pics of trees, but it's still the southwest.

I have spent a little time in the Chino Valley area and like it, I looked into the Prescott real estate and I couldn't afford it, Chino Valley looked affordable and close enough to the shopping areas and some decent restaurants. twocents
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 08:39 PM

Good input, thanks guys.
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/16/18 10:23 PM

Good input, thanks guys.

I'll be the first to welcome you to America!
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/17/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
AZ is great, my dad lives there. But if I was going to move, I'd strongly consider the Gulf coast of Florida. The car scene there is amazing; tons of shows, swap meets, cruise ins, drag strip and circle tracks galore. Plus it doesn't get as cold at night as AZ and there is no state income tax.
I'm on east coast Florida and sick of the Hurricanes. When I'm retired (if I live long enough) I would really like to relocate, if for no other reason than Hurricanes. Even without the Hurricanes, the salt air and overall high humidity in Florida. I've lived on Florida's coast for most of my life. I'm speaking from experience.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/17/18 03:16 AM

ARIZONA...??!??!?

Hahaha... you love this BC winter THAT much huh? You're gonna miss our wonderful Liberal government though...
Posted By: mrob

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/17/18 04:00 PM

Don't know if this applies to Prescott, but isn't there emissions testing even for older cars in AZ? Here's what I saw at the AZ emissions site:

Q: What vehicles must be tested?
A: Vehicles that are model year 1967 and newer and more than 5 years old require emissions—this includes gasoline and diesel-fueled vehicles. Alternative fuel, flexible fuel (E85) and hybrid vehicles also require emissions. Newer vehicles are exempt for the first 5 years of registration. Some vehicles may require a different schedule. If unsure, call 1-877-myAZcar (1-877-692-9227.)

Maybe a resident can chime in about it. I'd want to know if I was considering a move to AZ.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/17/18 05:40 PM

Yes there is emissions however if you have classic car insurance then it’s waived for 1979 and older vehicles.

Also not all of Arizona has emissions just the major cities.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/18/18 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By MidPenMopar
Originally Posted By Morty426
Woodland, CA is rather nice

Nice city and Reiff's annual Get together is one of funnest events i have ever been too! Does he still put it on anymore??

Stu

I think so.

Also the town as a nice car show on Main Street which is really nice.

Plus you are close enough to all the events in the Bay Area and Sacramento
Posted By: dart440

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/30/18 09:09 AM

No emissions testing in Prescott. I lived in Prescott Valley for several years. Had to move because of the lack of jobs, but since that is not a concern for you, no problem. Car scene is okay, but not as good as Phoenix or larger cities. I liked Prescott Valley better, as it got less snow and was more open flat land, about 5K feet elevation. Prescott is more mountainous and higher elevation (5-7K feet). I still own my house/shop there. Close enough to Sedona, Flagstaff and Phoenix to go whenever we wanted. AZ is nice for car registrations, as they are cheap and you can do for up to 5 years at a time!!! Driver's licenses are good from the time you get them until you turn 65 (one reason there are so many crappy drivers in AZ...) 8-) Property taxes aren't too bad and neither is the cost of fuel (when compared to CA, where I am now), but other places are cheaper. Roads are maintained okay, but there are still a lot of roads that are still dirt/gravel in the outlying areas. Temperatures range from lows in the teens in the winters to triple-digit heat in the summer. Those are the extremes, but normally not that bad. Loved those summer afternoon thunderstorms. Housing prices are on the rise again, after being depressed for a long time. Lots of drug, specifically Meth rehab. Not one of the things people will tell you (especially real estate agents). Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, and Dewey are the larger towns with many smaller towns scattered in the area. Lots to what topside and RodStRace recommended. A lot depends on what you are looking for.
Posted By: SeventyGTX

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/30/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By RodStRace
<snip>

Concerning dry climate, we moved to northern Nevada in 2005 from California where we are also almost always below 15% sometimes as low as 3% in summer. It can be hard to get acclimated to the super low humidity. Things you don't expect like constant dry nose, hangnails in your fingernails, splits in your fingertips like razor cuts. We buy Working Hands cream by the case. I never drank a lot of water in California, now I can't go anywhere without it.

Also, the sun is like a heat lamp with very direct heat even in 50 or 60 degree temps. One side of your body can be hot and the other side cool. Really strange if you are not used to it. The difference between being in the sun and shade is dramatic. I would think Arizona is similar.

We are also looking to move, probably somewhere in the SE so the wife can be closer to her son in Ft Lauderdale. It gets very cold here in winter. Woke up to 17f this morning and will have a high in the mid 30's. So, central or SE Florida is looking tempting. SW FL is way too expensive, crowded and blue for our tastes.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/30/18 11:28 PM

I couldn't live in Florida, humidity is killer. Every morning you wake up and go outside and your car is drenched! Then every day at 2-3 it rains for half and hour... runaway
Posted By: SeventyGTX

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/31/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
I couldn't live in Florida, humidity is killer. Every morning you wake up and go outside and your car is drenched! Then every day at 2-3 it rains for half and hour... runaway

Yea, that's my biggest worry. My only experience with high humidity was a short time at Camp Lejeune NC in August while in the Marines. It sucked! 90 degrees and pouring down rain. Get out of the shower and it feels like you didn't take one.....ugh.

On the other side of the coin, central/south Florida are in the 80's right now, and we are in the 30's for a high. I think I could live with 60's for a low and 80s for a high in December. Fortunately I'm retired now and wouldn't have to work in the muck. Not sure exactly where we will go, it seems anywhere east of the Rockies is humid. Texas maybe? Don't know.

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 01/02/19 02:19 PM

That... and one ov these years some category 6 hurricane is literally going to blast the entire state into the Gulf.
Posted By: dart440

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 01/03/19 08:40 AM

If all you're looking for is great weather, try San Diego, CA...the best I've seen.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 01/03/19 08:58 AM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart

I don't mind the humidity too much but I also don't like wearing many clothes. It only rains every afternoon in the summer months, typically from about May to around September. It brings the temps down but the humidity gets worse then. I have always loved it here but lately I feel like I'm living in some third world country. Time to move to the mountains.

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 01/03/19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

I have always loved it here but lately I feel like I'm living in some third world country. Time to move to the mountains.

Mt Dora maybe ? ... grin
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 01/04/19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By Doc Fiberglass
Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

I have always loved it here but lately I feel like I'm living in some third world country. Time to move to the mountains.

Mt Dora maybe ? ... grin

nice place I have been there a few times

Carsten
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 01/06/19 03:20 AM

DON'T move to any part of california no matter what anybody tells you, prescott (pronouced preskitt,they will correct you if pronouced wrong), is where i'm going, great area, great people, nice climate.
Posted By: Remy-Z

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 01/14/19 10:41 PM

Lived there three years, would go back in a heartbeat if I wasn't so rooted in Kentucky. Has a good population count but does not feel like a large city. Watch out for the college kids...Embry-Riddle, Yavapai College and Prescott College are all filled. Good canyon-carving roads, if you're into that sort of thing. Would recommend the occasional trip to Jerome, AZ to go eat at Haunted Hamburger.
Posted By: PLATINUM6BBL

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 11:58 AM

Daughter is coming there for college at Embry Riddle. Bringing a truck, trailer and horses. If it is mountainous how often am I looking at brake adjustment and changes?! Being 9,000,000 miles from PA has me concerned.
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 01:10 PM

Just regular maintenance should be fine unless she goes to Phoenix , Wickenburg or Camp Verde allot, those are some long 6% grades
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 01:44 PM

California, is a beautiful state, no doubt. But if I were to relocate to the Southwest, AZ or NV is where I'd go. CA taxes and astronomical cost of property are the biggest factors.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PLATINUM6BBL
Daughter is coming there for college at Embry Riddle. Bringing a truck, trailer and horses. If it is mountainous how often am I looking at brake adjustment and changes?! Being 9,000,000 miles from PA has me concerned.

Lon, we drove up that way a couple of years ago. Kind of like driving on US30 between Chambersburg and Breezewood. Just a nice, scenic drive winding up and down and around the hills but you may not want to go to Prescott via Sedona if you are towing a trailer. 89A from Sedona through Cottonwood and Jerome to Prescott is the more mountainous and curvy route with a few hairpin turns. Does your daughter want to be a pilot or an astronaut?

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 02:36 PM

You do realize thats like, 23 times further away than the moon, right? You might go through a few sets ov brakes on the way...

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerJD

Does your daughter want to be a pilot or an astronaut?

She'd like to be both but at nearly 6'-1" she'd not likely make an astronaut!

Attached picture 580DE49D-8146-43B3-9153-B59CADAEC275.jpeg

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 03:19 PM

Will be looking too for a trusted mechanic while she is there.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 04:54 PM

I would trust Roger's Automotive in Chino Valley. Alan and I have raced together and against each other for years. They are on the top end price wise, but the job will be done correctly.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/25/19 05:33 PM

I was just in the Prescott area last weekend.,,,,,absolutely beautiful area
We actually spent the weekend in Flagstaff then drove back down thru Oak Creek Canyon / Sedona area. Planning another weekend just in that area alone here real soon. Probably do some hiking at Slid Rock park.
View for lunch last sunday afternoon in Sedona
[img]https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn....408dbd359cf57be410051961&oe=5D954618[/img]

One of many pictures we took while at Slid Rock Park

[img]https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn....1a50e36d83453a59ac928ea7&oe=5D50E2D8[/img]

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/26/19 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerJD

Does your daughter want to be a pilot or an astronaut?

She'd like to be both but at nearly 6'-1" she'd not likely make an astronaut!

Why not!? Thats probably an average, or at least allowable height for a male astronaut?
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/27/19 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
We actually spent the weekend in Flagstaff then drove back down thru Oak Creek Canyon / Sedona area. Planning another weekend just in that area alone here real soon. Probably do some hiking at Slid Rock park.
[img]https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn....408dbd359cf57be410051961&oe=5D954618[/img]

[img]https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn....1a50e36d83453a59ac928ea7&oe=5D50E2D8[/img]

I actually own a home in Oak Creek Canyon on the creek
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 05/27/19 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_A12_BEE
Originally Posted by gtx6970

I actually own a home in Oak Creek Canyon on the creek

rental property maybe ?
if so, lets talk brother

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 08/18/19 10:50 AM

Going to hopefully be in Prescott on Tuesday. Anywhere that I can do some basic maintenance to the truck n trailer. Want to change oil, check brakes, blown bugs out of radiator, etc.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 08/19/19 02:07 AM

There’s a couple Magnums for sale in Prescott if interested.......

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 08/19/19 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Magnumguy
There’s a couple Magnums for sale in Prescott if interested.......

Don’t think they’ll fit in my carry on luggage.
Headed to El Paso to see our son as well. That’ll be in the rental car though
Posted By: Trulyvintage

Holbrook - 08/19/19 09:15 AM

I was born in Phoenix.

Lived in Cottonwood - Cornville - Village Of Oak Creek - Sedona - Flagstaff.

Holbrook is where I would live now .... drive

Jim.

Re: Holbrook - 08/19/19 12:12 PM

Boarding horses in Chino Valley
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Holbrook - 08/19/19 10:01 PM

Hey Mr. John Howard ( Rod Street Race ) could you answer you PM message I sent ....... Please. ????? wave

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/30/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by RodStRace

Wife, son and daughters are headed back out as girls are headed for different colleges in Prescott. Is there a weekly rate place to stay as our son is staying until 1/15 before coming home. They are to be there 1/7. Surely a hotel would have a better rate for someone staying 7 days.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/30/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by RUNCHARGER

www. best places to live. net/
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/31/19 03:05 AM

PLATINUM6BBL, I don't know what the rates are locally, I've only stayed at 2 places for a short time due to weather-related issues with the house (no power - am not going to freeze!).

I would look into BnBs in the area that are local owned/operated and contact them for a weekly rate.
They would be more likely to discount if they don't have to 'ready' the room daily and can count on occupancy.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/31/19 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
California, is a beautiful state, no doubt. But if I were to relocate to the Southwest, AZ or NV is where I'd go. CA taxes and astronomical cost of property are the biggest factors.

I just can't get excited about the landscape in Arizona. Yeah, all my family is here but it is just so ugly. I lived in California for three years and loved the green grass and trees. Here it is just burned dirt, rocks and shrubs, just like Nevada.

Re: Living in Prescott Az? - 12/31/19 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RodStRace
PLATINUM6BBL, I don't know what the rates are locally, I've only stayed at 2 places for a short time due to weather-related issues with the house (no power - am not going to freeze!).

I would look into BnBs in the area that are local owned/operated and contact them for a weekly rate.
They would be more likely to discount if they don't have to 'ready' the room daily and can count on occupancy.

$300 deposit has me wondering if they find the littlest thing wrong will I get the deposit back. Never done BnB before.
Posted By: Trulyvintage

Look Into Dewey - 12/31/19 02:17 PM

I just picked up this 1962 Buick Skylark Convertible in Cordes Junction yesterday.

Same family owned since 1964. - headed to Washington to stay with the son.

His parents lived in Dewey for the past (20) years.

They Love It ...

Jim drive

Attached picture 166A7760-0BC2-449D-9705-1C1F1158D438.png
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Look Into Dewey - 12/31/19 04:26 PM

did Palin move back to canada? eh

Re: Look Into Dewey - 01/15/20 02:27 AM

Any help for finding an apartment for my son will he goes to Embry Riddle? He doesn’t want dorm life. He had dorm type life for 3.5 years while in the Army he says.

Help? in Prescott - 04/08/20 07:09 AM

Anyone is the Prescott area willing to check in and take supplies to my son & his girl friend in the Prescott area? Our son has symptoms of this virus (headache and joint ache where his injuries are that required him to get medically retired from the Army) and were 2100 miles away. He & Jessi elected to shelter in place after her last college course cancelled 3/30 and they didn’t want to risk driving back. Not asking for an in person visit but maybe close by “surrogate” parents to call & check to see if they need anything.

Re: Help? in Prescott - 04/08/20 02:42 PM

Anyone is the Prescott area willing to check in and take supplies to my son & his girl friend in the Prescott area? Our son has symptoms of this virus (headache and joint ache where his injuries are that required him to get medically retired from the Army) and were 2100 miles away. He & Jessi elected to shelter in place after her last college course cancelled 3/30 and they didn’t want to risk driving back. Not asking for an in person visit but maybe close by “surrogate” parents to call & check to see if they need anything.

Did you find somebody?

Re: Help? in Prescott - 04/09/20 06:18 PM

Yes. A friend from Queen Creek that was his Ranger instructor when his was in Extreme Military Challenge reached out to check in on him. Seems he got bad KFC Sunday and he believes it was food poisoning. Thank you for responding! The wife & I appreciate it!

Re: Help? in Prescott - 08/06/21 10:25 PM

If anyone in Prescott has an apartment or knows of someone who has an apartment for rent my son & his girlfriend are there currently looking for a place. Hopefully around $1600 a month. He is medically retired Army vet and they have a little Corgi dog and they’re both going to college at Yavapi. Please call me at 814-227-8904.
Thanks,
Lon

Re: Help? in Prescott - 08/06/21 10:56 PM

Heading up there in the morning. Watson Lake Swap and car show.

Re: Help? in Prescott - 08/06/21 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by dart4forte
Heading up there in the morning. Watson Lake Swap and car show.

Don’t think they’ll have affordable housing there 😝

Re: Help? in Prescott - 08/08/21 02:17 PM

I’m sure there is. Place was packed., nice show and swap meet. Went into town for lunch. Whisky Row was packed. Almost like being in Phoenix in the traffic. I would think Prescott or Prescott Valley would be a nice place to live.
© 2024 Moparts Forums