Moparts

Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal

Posted By: 360view

Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/08/18 01:43 PM

https://www.pcmag.com/news/364829/fcc-to-carriers-adopt-anti-robocall-system-by-2019-or-else

Sample quote
The authentication system Pai wants is called the "SHAKEN/STIR framework," an industry-developed standard. With the framework in place, "calls traveling through interconnected phone networks would be 'signed' as legitimate by originating carriers and validated by other carriers before reaching consumers," according to the FCC. As result, consumers would be able see on their phones via the caller ID whether an incoming call was suspicious or not.
Snip
The commission notes that it receives more consumer complaints about unwanted calls than any other subject. YouMail, a company that tracks the problem, estimates that over 4.2 billion robocalls were received across the US in August alone.
End quote

Now totally out of control, it certainly ought to be possible to iID spoofing of numbers and blocking overseas criminal call centers.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/08/18 06:13 PM

I like it. Right now if I don't know the number or if its blocked, private etc I don't answer. Then if there is no VM I simply block and report it as spam.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 03:24 AM

NOMOROBO

https://www.nomorobo.com

its free
works very well imo
phone rings only once if its a spam/scam/robo caller
you can add any number it misses which for us has been very few

check to see if your phone provider is connected
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 03:47 AM

The FCC is useless.

I finally got tired of the overly loud commercials and filed a complaint with the FCC. After filling out a bunch of detailed questions I eventually got a response from the FCC. It said, and I quote:

"Your complaint provides the Commission with valuable information that we use to spot trends and practices that warrant investigation and enforcement action. We do not resolve individual complaints about this issue and, there will be no status information to report on your complaint."

Useless.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 04:53 AM

I'm in the service biz and must answer my phone. I am getting HAMMERED with robo and recorded calls to press 2 to be put on the "do not call" list.Seems like every time I press that #2 they give my number to 10 other robos.
When I have the time,I like to mess with them,student loans,solor panels,credit cards,pharmacy stuff and when I detect the pilipino or Paki accent I ask to speak to someone in the US! smoke
Posted By: Faust

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
The FCC is useless.

I finally got tired of the overly loud commercials and filed a complaint with the FCC. After filling out a bunch of detailed questions I eventually got a response from the FCC. It said, and I quote:

"Your complaint provides the Commission with valuable information that we use to spot trends and practices that warrant investigation and enforcement action. We do not resolve individual complaints about this issue and, there will be no status information to report on your complaint."

Useless.

"We do not resolve individual complaints about this issue" I have dealt with FCC, and a few other similar agencies. Their regulations create "rights" for you to sue, but they only get involved if there is a headline it. Great, you can sue a robocaller that you can't even trace (here they sometimes use expired phone numbers. If the number is local, I Google it. 40% of the time I find an obituary) So, who you gonna sue? What are you going to get?

I get at least 10 a day on my landline.
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 05:38 AM

When they answer from the auto dialer pause I just scream into the phone or ask if they are hookers. Sometimes they don't know what a hooker is.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 05:23 PM

It is extremely easy to fix these issues.

For example, in my loud commercial complaint the FCC can mandate that all commercials carry a digital signature that identifies it as a commercial and can allow your TV to mute the volume, or cut it in half or whatever you choose from your settings options. If a commercial gets aired without that signature you can sue your local provider, they aired it.

As for robocallers, simple there too. Require the phone companies to only pass calls with verified accurate caller ID and make them legally responsible for it. As in you can sue the phone company for this not robocallers, they can sue the robocallers. After all they know, ultimately, where that call started. Robocallers would end withing 30 seconds of that legislation going into effect.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 09:50 PM

I don't understand why this is so hard to correct.

1. How many calls do you make a day?
2. How many do you think a robo caller makes a day?
3. How many legit companies need to make as many calls as #2?
4. Why can't the phone providers just monitor use, and limit the number of daily calls, with out a vetting process?

Seems simple to me.

Am I correct most people get robo calls come from their own area code?

I'm changing my next phone's area code to 406 (Montana), if you live in Montana, I will not answer your phone, sorry. biggrin
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/12/18 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By nomore65BelvJim
NOMOROBO

its free
works very well imo

I've got that too and I love it. My current record is 9 blocked calls in one day. thumbs
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 11/13/18 12:53 AM

I block all non contacts on my cell phone and once a month or so go back through and delete them all. When it leaves a voicemail, that's what ticks me off. I swear before I blocked them, I'd get 10 calls a day.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/01/20 04:51 PM

President Trump has signed a law increasing fines on spammy robocalls and requiring phone service providers to begin authenticating calls across networks.

The Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act (TRACED Act) was signed on Monday, after Congress approved the landmark bill earlier this month to give the federal government new abilities to go after illegal robocallers. Fines can now reach $10,000 per call. The law also requires major carriers such as AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile to use a new technology called STIR/SHAKEN to help customers know if they’re being targeted by a robocaller with a spoofed number.

“I applaud Congress for working in a bipartisan manner to combat illegal robocalls and malicious caller ID spoofing,” Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement. Pai added he’s glad the agency “has a longer statute of limitations” to pursue scammers.

Carriers have already begun to deploy the STIR/SHAKEN technology in anticipation of the new law, though support is still limited. Eventually, companies like AT&T and Verizon should be able to verify calls between their networks, ensuring a call is coming from a real, authentic number.

Trump’s signing of the TRACED Act into law is just another step in the ongoing battle the FCC has taken to fight robocalls under Pai. The commissioner announced over the summer that the FCC would move to make it illegal to send spoofed calls or texts from overseas. Congress passed new rules in 2018 allowing the commission to do so.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/01/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 360view

Carriers have already begun to deploy the STIR/SHAKEN technology in anticipation of the new law, though support is still limited.

Reportedly, currently won't work on hard lines.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/01/20 07:50 PM

"We do not resolve individual complaints about this issue"

Seriously? You were expecting "thank you sir, we will immediately focus all resources on your issue and give you hourly updates" ?!?!?

Some people really do believe the earth revolves around them !!!
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/01/20 08:14 PM

Gee, I wonder how automotive recalls are generates by the government? People complaint about something and if enough do so the government focuses s resources on it. Ever see the government fine a company for it's behavior towards consumers? Who do you think keeps that money? They sure don't hand it to the people affected by the issue.

Why have a law with no enforcement?
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/01/20 08:33 PM

It's so effin out of control on both cell and land lines that if my cell doesn't verbally announce the call as one of my contacts I just ignore it. My home phone is rarely used, and mostly to make calls with more clarity.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/02/20 11:55 AM

My calls come in waves. Some weeks I don't have any. I have an exchange from a cell provider that went defunct 20 years ago. Not many people have it so I ignore these cloned numbers when they pop up.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/02/20 03:05 PM

They will find a new way to irritate us I am sure.

Attached picture thumb_weve-been-trying-to-reach-you-about-your-cars-extended-43139976.png
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/03/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Supercuda
It is extremely easy to fix these issues.

For example, in my loud commercial complaint the FCC can mandate that all commercials carry a digital signature that identifies it as a commercial and can allow your TV to mute the volume, or cut it in half or whatever you choose from your settings options. If a commercial gets aired without that signature you can sue your local provider, they aired it.

As for robocallers, simple there too. Require the phone companies to only pass calls with verified accurate caller ID and make them legally responsible for it. As in you can sue the phone company for this not robocallers, they can sue the robocallers. After all they know, ultimately, where that call started. Robocallers would end withing 30 seconds of that legislation going into effect.

i didn't know my 20 year old TV had that kind of capability.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/03/20 01:29 AM

Your 20 year old TV no longer receives over the air signals either.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/03/20 03:18 AM

As I mentioned several months ago, I didn't realize my phone number was on Facebook since my (now ex) wife had set it up for me. As soon as I deleted my number, a majority of the spam calls I was getting stopped. A few still pop up, but what I get now in a month is less than what I used to get daily.

I guess it could happen with putting your number anywhere on the web. Where have you put your number that you thought was harmless?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/03/20 01:09 PM

Just about anywhere on the web that wants my phone number gets at least a couple digits mixed up. Did that with my last employer too but that's a different topic. This is the first I've heard of it but oddly enough heard the DJ talking about it on the radio yesterday afternoon. Apparently it's starting to function in this part of the world. I'm looking forward to it taking hold - until the scammers find a way around it.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/03/20 01:35 PM

Spoof calls are on the rise!! Not sure how that works but it is to the point I'm thinking of changing my voice message to leave a name & massage and call them back right away!
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/03/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis
Spoof calls are on the rise!! Not sure how that works but it is to the point I'm thinking of changing my voice message to leave a name & massage and call them back right away!

Al....You are gonna massage a telemarketer? Wait till ol Doc reads this! laugh2

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/03/20 10:23 PM

Answer the call, cut off their pitch, start selling them Jesus or Satan. They usually go away pretty fast.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by RWG75
Answer the call, cut off their pitch, start selling them Jesus or Satan. They usually go away pretty fast.

Linky >>> Henry Rollins on Telemarketers (a few cuss words)

While I've never gone to this extent, I have thrown a few off by making small talk. laugh2

popcorn

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 12:05 PM

Good one!

When my girl bought her 2012 the factory warranty was expired because it was like 2017 at the time. She immediately started getting robocalls trying to sell her an extended warranty. She was polite, declined it, asked to be removed from the list. The calls continued. She eventually got angry and abusive and started yelling at them about how she has said "do not call" 100 times already. The calls continued.

One day while she was loosing her mind about it I made a suggestion. Next time they called she was really happy to hear from them and gleefully started buying whatever they were selling. Started telling the rep how the car has 200,000 miles on it and her transmission has been acting up and how she's really worried about it and how she knows she doesn't have the money to fix it. Haven't gotten that robo spam since.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

Linky >>> Henry Rollins on Telemarketers (a few cuss words)

While I've never gone to this extent, I have thrown a few off by making small talk. laugh2

popcorn

I usually ask them if they can send someone to my house and bring beer because I'm on house arrest.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 03:55 PM

By doing that you tell the caller that your number is active and they'll sell it to more spammers. Never answer.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 04:22 PM

I turned the ringer off on all my home phones and will only answer if they start to leave a message on the answering machine and I know who they are. Caller ID isn't any protection as they can make it appear as anyone they want. Hit redial without answering and it will dial the number on the ID and seem legit. They got me one day after comcast had just been to my house looking for problem and the caller ID said comcast but it was someone just looking to see if it was an active person answered line. They then sell the line is active and the scam calls increase. They make billions every year off people they trick and feel you might be smart enough to know whats up but their bet is there's someone in the house they can scam.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

By doing that you tell the caller that your number is active and they'll sell it to more spammers. Never answer.

Sometimes you have to answer, selling something, buying a house, refinancing a house, just to name a few.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by second 70
I turned the ringer off on all my home phones and will only answer if they start to leave a message on the answering machine and I know who they are. Caller ID isn't any protection as they can make it appear as anyone they want. Hit redial without answering and it will dial the number on the ID and seem legit. They got me one day after comcast had just been to my house looking for problem and the caller ID said comcast but it was someone just looking to see if it was an active person answered line. They then sell the line is active and the scam calls increase. They make billions every year off people they trick and feel you might be smart enough to know whats up but their bet is there's someone in the house they can scam.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This is a fact! We had a call from the same town we live in. My wife recognized the number and it was from a deceased person she knew. These people have no morels and should be dealt with severely.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 04:48 PM

This is true.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by nomore65BelvJim
NOMOROBO

its free
works very well imo

It's only free for two week trial. I just went to app.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 05:04 PM

You no leave me message, me no answer. Simple as that. callme

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

Sometimes you have to answer, selling something, buying a house, refinancing a house, just to name a few.

What about when you're looking for a new job? You don't want to answer, but, it shows a local number. Very, VERY annoying. flame I'd always put down that email was more preferred method of contact, but a lot of companies want a 'RIGHT NOW' response, not an email later.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 05:34 PM

By doing that you tell the caller that your number is active and they'll sell it to more spammers. Never answer. [/quote]
Sometimes you have to answer, selling something, buying a house, refinancing a house, just to name a few. [/quote]

I myself would never do business with a company or person that wouldn't leave their name and a contact number. Plus the call back number must match the caller ID or listed # of the business.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

4. Why can't the phone providers just monitor use, and limit the number of daily calls, with out a vetting process?

Seems simple to me.

I'm changing my next phone's area code to 406 (Montana), if you live in Montana, I will not answer your phone, sorry. biggrin

I don't know if there is any way they can stop it. Most of the annoying calls that don't follow the rules or spoof legitimate numbers use VOIP phone lines and local phone numbers don't know what the numbers are if it's outside their system and the companies that run these VOIP lines don't care because they'll claim they're not a phone company just like uber claims they aren't a taxi service to break those rules or they're run out of countries that don't care what any legislations are. Phone companies can't block VOIP service because then they'll get blamed for causing a monopoly again or companies will sue them for not allowing real users to make calls from their services.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 08:26 PM

At home we don't answer calls unless we recognize the number.

My cellphone voicemail is a recording of the number is not in service message. That stopped every call I didn't want and some that I do. It also helps that I've had my number since the 90s and they blocked caller ID info from cellphones back then so it still says private number when I make calls.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/04/20 09:29 PM

As I mentioned several months ago, I didn't realize my phone number was on Facebook since my (now ex) wife had set it up for me. As soon as I deleted my number, a majority of the spam calls I was getting stopped. A few still pop up, but what I get now in a month is less than what I used to get daily.

I guess it could happen with putting your number anywhere on the web. Where have you put your number that you thought was harmless?

iagree

I never get these robocalls. Several guys at work seem to get them daily and they are Facebook users.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 01/05/20 01:12 AM

I had to print off copies of my health insurance card today. My insurance company's website would not let me proceed to the print your card page unless I gave them a number. I gave them 800-555-1212 which is long distance information. Let the phone company deal with scammers.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 02/01/20 04:37 PM

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...es-over-fraudulent-robocalls/2855201001/

Sample quote

The volume of robocalls that passed through the Palumbos' system was substantial, prosecutors say.

The Justice Department's complaint says that over 23 days in in 2019, the Palumbos transmitted more than 720 million calls, 425 million of which lasted less than one second in duration and came primarily from India.

The calls are "spoofed," meaning a false U.S. number appears on the recipient's caller ID. Spoofing makes it look like the call is coming from someone in the recipient's area code.

End quote

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 02/01/20 04:41 PM

I can't see it...The worse is Card Services..They should have a hand chopped off. We received a local call that my wife recognized as a local person that was deceased. These people have no morals and should be treated as such. flame

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 02/04/20 05:24 PM

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-sprint-partner-on-call-verification-to-fight-spoofed-calls/
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 02/04/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

Seems simple to me.

Dang it I was just fixing to call you!

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 02/04/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 360view
" malicious caller ID spoofing,”

And there is your loophole, "malicious"? Is there any reason for someone to call from a number other than their own? NO! Make it illegal to call from any number that is not yours period!

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 02/04/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
At home we don't answer calls unless we recognize the number.

My cellphone voicemail is a recording of the number is not in service message. That stopped every call I didn't want and some that I do. It also helps that I've had my number since the 90s and they blocked caller ID info from cellphones back then so it still says private number when I make calls.

I never answer if a blocked number, private number whatever shows up. I do have to answer local phone calls because I run a business so sometimes they get me anyhow butt I always block a bad number and won't answer an out of state number unless they leave a message.

Re: Anti-Robocall spoofing “shaken/stir” proposal - 02/05/20 08:46 PM

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-...down-on-robocall-enablers-195851464.html
© 2024 Moparts Forums