Moparts

Factory Paint

Posted By: Anonymous

Factory Paint - 12/05/11 09:40 PM

Hi Guys,

We have an International article coming out that details many of the procedures we used for the Valiant Project. One area that always seems to solicit attention and questions is the process that we used to get a correct assembly line paint finish. Here is a photo that displays a look of the baked, single stage paint process that came on 1970 Chrysler vehicles. Besides having an orange peel finish, it also has to possess the sheen and luster that accompanies a baked process. The article will explain the measures and steps taken to achieve a correct Chrysler Paint Job. It is possible to get a factory look without having to run your car through a professional type paint booth.

Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Factory Paint - 12/05/11 11:28 PM

Awesome Tom! Where could said article be found?
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Factory Paint - 12/06/11 02:05 AM

France, judging from the caption.

BTW, any info the OP would like to share to get as-new results I'm happy about!

Re: Factory Paint - 12/06/11 02:29 AM

Quote:

Awesome Tom! Where could said article be found?

Hi All,

This is a peak at a multipage article that is scheduled to publish in Europe after the first of the year with US publication after that. We'll work toward getting a translated copy of the European article when it publishes. Stay tuned !!
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Factory Paint - 12/06/11 03:48 AM

Tom - any news on the Valiant coffee book?
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: Factory Paint - 12/09/11 04:59 AM

Hey Tom,

I heard a rumor regarding a new 4 door project. Care to fill us in?

Thanks,

Dan
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Factory Paint - 12/09/11 05:20 AM

Quote:

Hey Tom,

?? Please tell me you're going all out on a Mexican Dart so you can really screw with the Judges!!
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: Factory Paint - 12/09/11 10:37 PM

Come on Tom, don't be shy!

Re: Factory Paint - 12/09/11 11:57 PM

Quote:

Hey Tom,

Thanks,

Dan

Hi everyone,

By the end of the year we should be mostly complete with the body in white for our latest 4 door project. It will be a " clone of 1 " if you would.

Concept Cuda will be a realization of what was once prototyped but never officially approved for production... the 1970 Cuda 4dr.

Here is a rough sketch of "Concept Cuda"

Posted By: lahatte

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 03:29 AM

Wow! That's pretty goofy. Should be an interesting project.
Posted By: convx4

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 03:47 AM

You should make it with a single drivers door. With two doors on the pass side.
Posted By: stevenjuliano

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 03:54 AM

Hi Tom....That photo you posted of the valiants paint really captured what i saw in person the night I stopped by. The finish is EXACTLY what was on the car from new. I wonder even if any of us could achieve such correctness if we would choose to do so?? I know that none of my cars have anything close to that correct day one look you achieved. maybe ive spent too many years around concept cars and their ultra slick finishes? i dont know what it is excpet highly contradictory on my part,LOL!

In the ac cobra world the cars were originally painted by a bunch of drunks in the UK in nitro cellulose lacquer with overspray EVERYWHERE. then they got a nice dose of union dock workers and the tender love and care those bums showed. so most cobras were resprayed and/or touched up again here in the states. add to that these union dock workers used to step on some of these aluminum cars so that added to more bodywork and paint all prior to delivery. im not sure why im babbling about this....maybe im dreaming of what dave and the boys would do if they restored a cobra? i could see tom and dave now trying to figure out what type of shoe they wore on the docks in '63 so they can determine the size and shape of the dent....
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 03:56 AM

Quote:

Tom - any news on the Valiant coffee book?

Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 03:58 AM

I was so pleased to be part of the Valiant project in a small way ( wiper motor and latches).
I am looking forward to the 4 door project in a big way.
Dave, your special wiper motor is in the works for the 4 door.
You should have it next week.
Good luck and can't wait to see it.
Jules
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 06:05 AM

I have 2 70 E bodies with original paint and neither one of them have nearly that much orange peal.

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 06:27 AM

Quote:

Hi Tom....That photo you posted of the valiants paint really captured what i saw in person the night I stopped by. The finish is EXACTLY what was on the car from new. I wonder even if any of us could achieve such correctness if we would choose to do so?? I know that none of my cars have anything close to that correct day one look you achieved. maybe ive spent too many years around concept cars and their ultra slick finishes? i dont know what it is excpet highly contradictory on my part,LOL!

In the ac cobra world the cars were originally painted by a bunch of drunks in the UK in nitro cellulose lacquer with overspray EVERYWHERE. then they got a nice dose of union dock workers and the tender love and care those bums showed. so most cobras were resprayed and/or touched up again here in the states. add to that these union dock workers used to step on some of these aluminum cars so that added to more bodywork and paint all prior to delivery. im not sure why im babbling about this....maybe im dreaming of what dave and the boys would do if they restored a cobra? i could see tom and dave now trying to figure out what type of shoe they wore on the docks in '63 so they can determine the size and shape of the dent....

Hi Steven

It sounds like the cobras went through a "multi step" paint process during assembly and shipping. During the SEMA show this year Ford displayed Carroll Shelbys unrestored Cobra #1 that started the company. Dave and I were fortunate enough to be in the Ford Display when they brought the car in and had the opportunity to walkaround it before they set up the ropes. It shows wear and use that you would expect from a development car and Carroll has kept the car all these years. I'll post some pictures next week of this iconic vehicle. I'm told the car is not for sale and offers with lots of 000's have been turned down.

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 07:15 AM

Quote:

I was so pleased to be part of the Valiant project in a small way ( wiper motor and latches).
I am looking forward to the 4 door project in a big way.
Dave, your special wiper motor is in the works for the 4 door.
You should have it next week.
Good luck and can't wait to see it.
Jules

Hi Jules,

Great to speak to you the other day. We're excited about the special wiper motor for Concept Cuda. You'll see some unique stuff on the Cuda including some new products we're developing for the market.Concepts are unusual vehicles - some make it and some don't fit the market at the time. Did you know Ford was also working on a 4 dr Mustang . How many people know you can buy a new Jeep Wrangler PICKUP from a Chrysler dealer today?
Posted By: stevenjuliano

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 05:55 PM

Hi Steven

It sounds like the cobras went through a "multi step" paint process during assembly and shipping. During the SEMA show this year Ford displayed Carroll Shelbys unrestored Cobra #1 that started the company. Dave and I were fortunate enough to be in the Ford Display when they brought the car in and had the opportunity to walkaround it before they set up the ropes. It shows wear and use that you would expect from a development car and Carroll has kept the car all these years. I'll post some pictures next week of this iconic vehicle. I'm told the car is not for sale and offers with lots of 000's have been turned down.

Tom....funny you mention csx2000 and paint. if memory serves me right that car was on the cover of many magazines that first year. on each cover it was a different color. $helby wanted to make it look like he had many finished cars so they kept repainting that one over and over again...Steven
Posted By: DodgeMaterial

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 07:02 PM

Quote:

I have 2 70 E bodies with original paint and neither one of them have nearly that much orange peal.

Many cars with original paint have lost their factory paint texture due to 40 years of waxing and washing... every wax job takes some paint off and smooths things out. We started with a 10,000 mile car and even it had some thin spots on the top edges of the fenders/quarters. In spite of that - there was significant texture (orange peel) to the original paint- especially the sides. When the trunk applique was removed and the virgin paint under it was exposed, it was very evident of how much orange peel was originally there - and how much had been smoothed out on the areas not covered by the applique. I took a digital mil gauge to every panel and documented the thicknesses. On average there was about 3 mils +/- 1 mil. Steve Been did a masterful job of matching the original paint characteristics of this car. I have seen some nice factory paint jobs (like yours sounds like) - but they were not all that nice! Trust me - I have spent enough time in our plants to know. Dave
Posted By: Beebuzzn

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 08:24 PM

Quote:

I have had a few low mile original paint cars 1967-1972 that the paint was not cared for, buffed and waxed. They had lots of runs in various areas, but the paint was laid down better than what I see in the picture above. Maybe it is just the way the picture shows it on my screen.
Posted By: DodgeMaterial

Re: Factory Paint - 12/10/11 11:29 PM

Perhaps if you saw the Valiant in person you could get a better feel for the amount of texture. Steve Been matched the original paint. As a matter of fact the car still carries some of the original paint and there is no distinction between the two. The mission of the Valiant project was to take this car back to the way it was built when new. Not trying to make it look like other cars or like what everyone thinks it was supposed to look like. To help everyone comprehend the actual paint appearance I will ask Tom B. to post some other shots. Dave

Re: Factory Paint - 12/12/11 07:17 PM

Quote:

Perhaps if you saw the Valiant in person you could get a better feel for the amount of texture. Steve Been matched the original paint. As a matter of fact the car still carries some of the original paint and there is no distinction between the two. The mission of the Valiant project was to take this car back to the way it was built when new. Not trying to make it look like other cars or like what everyone thinks it was supposed to look like. To help everyone comprehend the actual paint appearance I will ask Tom B. to post some other shots. Dave

Hi Dave,

Here are some additional pictures of the Valiant paint. As you can see the original paint had quite a bit of texture which is amplified by the black paint. The first two pictures show the original paint on the outside and inside of the trunk. The last two show the after paint.

Re: Factory Paint - 01/03/12 07:09 PM

Well sorry it took a bit longer than I expected but here it is.
A very very early build date 077 wiper motor. So early actually that
is has some unique features not found on other later built 077 motors.
Notice the small font. Completely original. I have had about 6 of these
motors in my hands in over 20 years and thousands of rebuilds.Also the
barrel is 1/4 longer that later dated 077 motors. These longer barrels
(and internals) were found on later 73-77 motors and some C bodies.
They provide more torque. The rest of the motor is basically the same
as other 077 motors. Build date 174/9 corresponds to June 23rd, 1969.
This motor has all NOS components other than the gear housing, the barrel and the
end cap.
Thanks for having me participate in your latest project Dave.
Keep us upto date.
Jules

Attached picture 6999888-005.JPG

Re: Factory Paint - 01/03/12 07:10 PM

Attached picture 6999890-007.JPG

Re: Factory Paint - 01/04/12 05:57 AM

Hi Jules,

The wiper motor looks great. Now we have one part of "Concept Cuda" finished !!. We are actually mocking up that part of the car right now so we'll have a place for it to rest shortly.

Dave wanted to thank you personally but he's undergoing psyco therapy at the advice of a "Friend".
Seriously, thanks for all the hard work making the wiper motor look great. I'm sure we'll talk soon.

Re: Factory Paint - 01/04/12 08:53 PM

Quote:

Hi Dave,

Here are some additional pictures of the Valiant paint. As you can see the original paint had quite a bit of texture which is amplified by the black paint. The first two pictures show the original paint on the outside and inside of the trunk. The last two show the after paint.

Looks like the paint matches the original to me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums