Moparts

Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo.

Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 08:48 PM

Orig data tag was lost on my car from prev owner and I want to have a new one made. The car is a 71 Challenger made at the Hamtrack plant. I have a vender to make the tag but he need to know how the tag was laid out. I have the build sheet and dash vin tag. I have a decoaded sheet by Galen done back in 91 from prev owner. I saw a tag laid out for a lynch road car on the Charger/Superbee website. Would that be the same as a Hamtrack car ? I dont need any decoading but a reference to how a tag from Hamtrack was laid out L to R line to line.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 08:54 PM

Lynch Rd. tag is not the same layout.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 09:02 PM

If you post your GG breakdown it would probably be a lot easier for us to tell you what would be on your tag
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 09:46 PM

This is a picture of an example of one if all you are looking for is lay-out.

Attached picture 6929816-61767.jpg

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 09:50 PM

How much do you need from the GG breakdown? This thing is like 200 lines long. Will most of the info on the tag be from the upper part of the GG breakdown ??
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 10:04 PM

List all the options that your car has, or off you build sheet. Someone on this forum will be able to put your fender tag codes together. Is your vender a real fender tag maker (they should be able to put a fender tag together from a copy of you build sheet with no problem) or are you doing this in your garage?

http://www.datatags.com/

Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 10:20 PM

Quote:

This is a repop fender tag. Is it from Datatags?

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/21/11 10:43 PM

Quote:

How much do you need from the GG breakdown? This thing is like 200 lines long. Will most of the info on the tag be from the upper part of the GG breakdown ??

Can you attach it as a PDF? If not you can email it to me.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 12:19 AM

Quote:

List all the options that your car has, or off you build sheet. Someone on this forum will be able to put your fender tag codes together. Is your vender a real fender tag maker (they should be able to put a fender tag together from a copy of you build sheet with no problem) or are you doing this in your garage?

http://www.datatags.com/

Yep...same guys that made a bad tag for the previous owner of my car. Lots of money for a worthless piece of metal.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 06:08 PM

Quote:

I have the bottom format correct up to the U but after that (l to r bottom to top )how much info is on a ORIG tag. It seem like there is too much data listed on this repoped tag. Did all the 69 up tags have this much info or were just a few options listed ??? One web site has a challenger tag decoaded and it has 24 boxes but the tag above has 29 boxes. And BTW, whats listed in the top two boxes of the tag.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have the bottom format correct up to the U but after that (l to r bottom to top )how much info is on a ORIG tag. It seem like there is too much listed on the tag . Did all the 69 up tags have this much info or were just a few options listed ???

That's the fun part , figuring out what is really supposed to be on there ... good luck ...

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have the bottom format correct up to the U but after that (l to r bottom to top )how much info is on a ORIG tag. It seem like there is too much data listed on this repoped tag. Did all the 69 up tags have this much info or were just a few options listed ??? One web site has a challenger tag decoaded and it has 24 boxes but the tag above has 29 boxes. And BTW, whats listed in the top two boxes of the tag.

After the U (which stands for US production) the tag is filled in alphabetical / numeral order.

Example: A01 A04 A34 A62 B51 C16 C55

There is no limit to the number of codes which can lead to a second tag. The problem is that some codes go on the tag and some don't. Knowing what ones go on is the trick.

The last to codes on the tag above are:
26 - 26" radiator
EN2 - End of tag

If you tell us what codes are on your build sheet going from A to Y we might be able to help you.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 06:43 PM

So there was just some of the info listed on the upper part of the tag ??? Then you could have two cars with the same options built at the same plant and both tags could have a different amt of options listed on the upper part. This seems to make sense as my lynch road built Charger with 29 options has only 5 options listed other than trans or engin. Anyone have a pic of a real 71 Challenger trim tag for a Hamtrack built car?
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 07:23 PM

Quote:

Then you could have two cars with the same options built at the same plant and both tags could have a different amt of options listed on the upper part. This seems to make sense as my lynch road built Charger with 29 options has only 5 options listed other than trans or engin. Anyone have a pic of a real 71 Challenger trim tag for a Hamtrack built car?

No; the amount of info on the tag depended on the plant and production date. As Johnrr said earlier; Lynch Rd. tags were unique.

Dave

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 07:32 PM

Quote:

So there was just some of the info listed on the upper part of the tag ??? Then you could have two cars with the same options built at the same plant and both tags could have a different amt of options listed on the upper part. This seems to make sense as my lynch road built Charger with 29 options has only 5 options listed other than trans or engin. Anyone have a pic of a real 71 Challenger trim tag for a Hamtrack built car?

I have some tags at home.

Is there a reason you don't want to tell us what codes are on the build sheet?

You guessing what is supposed to go on there has a low chance of success.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 07:33 PM

To put it bluntly, most people with the knowledge to properly lay out a tag aren't going to be offering (detailed) assistance as most of them do not promote reproducing (fake) tags in the first place, not to mention all of the fake broadcast sheets that are showing up lately (some being quite convincing especially to novice eyes).

The second thing is that even those that do know can't say with absalute certainty that the new tag layout will match what the factory tag originally had.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 07:34 PM

Ok ..From A to Y B41 B51 C16 D34 D53 E87 G11 J46 J81 N96 R33 R36 S77 VX1 V6X W23 Y14 T86 There are no A (group) codes. The sticker price for this 71 Challenger was $4752.05 Funny thing about this car is the OPEN 323 rear .It must have been a handful on a rainy day.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 08:10 PM

Quote:

To put it bluntly, most people with the knowledge to properly lay out a tag aren't going to be offering (detailed) assistance as most of them do not promote reproducing (fake) tags in the first place, not to mention all of the fake broadcast sheets that are showing up lately (some being quite convincing especially to novice eyes)....... .... Thanks Scott. I think Galen my have a copy (rubbing)of the Orig tag (he decoaded this car in 91 )so im wating to here back from him. Also, if someone was to purchase a high-end car these days, they should know to have the car checked out by someone other than a novice. The reproduced (fake)tags I have seen have been easy to spot, and Im no expert.

Quote..
The second thing is that even those that do know can't say with absalute certainty that the new tag layout will match what the factory tag originally had.

...I think thats what I was sayin in my above post. Im goint to do my best to find the most information I can to make the most correct looking tag for my car but im sure my reproduced tag is not going to fool anyone...but maybe a novice.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/22/11 11:58 PM

Quote:

To put it bluntly, most people with the knowledge to properly lay out a tag aren't going to be offering (detailed) assistance as most of them do not promote reproducing (fake) tags in the first place, not to mention all of the fake broadcast sheets that are showing up lately (some being quite convincing especially to novice eyes).

Scott - I think it's sad that people with the knowledge don't want to help, but I understand why. A few bad apples have gone around and made fake tags to produce cars that were not as built.

But what are you supposed to do if you don't have the tag? Does that mean you can't restore a car without the original tag?

Take 2 of my 6 Challengers for example.

The first is JS23V1B248xxx - I bought it over 20 years ago it was a former race car. I have 90% of the broadcast sheet. When I bought it I assumed it had black side stripes and no vinyl top. The car is EV2 with runner bumpers. When I got the car I found out it was V68 stripe delete and had evidence of a white vinyl top (that part of the sheet is missing). I had a tag made from the info off the sheet and the evidence I found (the top). I wanted to restore the car but to have no tag on it would look terrible.

My other car is JS29R0B1xxxxxx. For that car I have nothing. Some one removed the tags and is supposedly holding them for ransom, but I don't know who. What am I supposed to do with this car?

I'll agree that a reproduced tag is just a guess at the original.

Thanks
M

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 12:05 AM

Quote:

... my reproduced tag is not going to fool anyone...but maybe a novice.

Then why do it? Novices won't be impressed or care and 'experts' will question the legitimacy of your car. ("If he made a bad fake tag, what else has been changed?")

Sometimes it's better to have no tag than a fake one.

The best and most accurate way to make a replacement tag is using the original as a template. If you do not have the original and have to rely on a third party tag maker to lay it out, you will always question if you got your money's worth. Based on the number of badly made tags I've seen, the chances are good you won't.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 12:20 AM

Morty,

I'm not attempting to play judge and jury and I understand that your situation is a tough one (especially on the Hemi car!) but quite frankly I don't see an easy way rectify it other than digging up the original documentation. Imagine if you had it all made up and then the original stuff shows up on a different car? How would that play out?

Personally I don't see a problem with putting a replacement tag on a car as long as it's represented as such. However, having a reproduction tag would definately negatively affect my assesment of the cars value, and if I didn't know the cars owner or it's history (in detail), it would also raise curiousity about the authenticity of the rest of the car.

Regardless of how well meaning you or anothers efforts are, it's the owners down the road that can be either mislead or misrepresent a car with fake documentation. That can easily lead things down the darker pathways. We've all seen it so I'm sure you know what I mean.
Posted By: lahatte

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 12:38 AM

I'm curious, how would someone detect a fake tag? I know some people have painted their tags when the car is painted, so any original patina may be lost. So, if a tag looks nice, how would you know if it's original or reproduced?

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 12:48 AM

Quote:

I'm curious, how would someone detect a fake tag? I know some people have painted their tags when the car is painted, so any original patina may be lost. So, if a tag looks nice, how would you know if it's original or reproduced?

There are several ways.

Each plant coded things differently. So what was coded, WHEN it was coded and maybe even WHERE it was coded changed during the production year. If you have looked at a large amount of tags from that year and plant, the differences pop right out.

How the plant physically handled the tag could be different leading to important omissions of certain details specific to certain plants that indicate fake tags.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 01:46 AM

I woud rather have a reproduced tag than nothing at all. I have enough history and documentation of my car that it would never be considered a fake by anyone. Thers LOTS of reproduction tags out there on some very high end cars. Maybe there orig was rusted out ,lost or just not good enough to put back onto a fully restored car or they dont want to show up at the nats and have there orig trim tag stolen. Would anyone really make an overall assement of a cars value based on just a trim tag ?

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 02:08 AM

Quote:

Would anyone really make an overall assement of a cars value based on just a trim tag ?

Yes. See Scott's post above. Fake things, especially documentation, raise questions.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 02:33 AM

Quote:

Would anyone really make an overall assement of a cars value based on just a trim tag ?

Not only the value, but the owner's character as well.

Edit;

I figured I better clarify that some, give me a minute or three.........
Posted By: lahatte

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 02:44 AM

Quote:

There are several ways.

Each plant coded things differently. So what was coded, WHEN it was coded and maybe even WHERE it was coded changed during the production year. If you have looked at a large amount of tags from that year and plant, the differences pop right out.

How the plant physically handled the tag could be different leading to important omissions of certain details specific to certain plants that indicate fake tags.

Yes, but if the data is correct, there wouldn't be any way to tell, really.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 02:50 AM

I have no problem with reproduction tags myself.

If someone has a rusty tag or other original data like a broadcast sheet, the data for most cars is available to have a correct reproduction made.

Custom tags also, no one really cares if it is obviously a custom tag.

But when folks do not have the original data to go on & make one up, it steps over a line. If someone guesses at a VON & I know it is in use on a legitimate tag, I'll call it a fake. Others will to.

Fake tags hurt the cars reputation as well as the seller's if the seller is the one that had it made. Sadly, there are places out there that will put anything on a fender tag that anyone wants - for a price.

Anything is available for money to buyers & sellers when niether one of them have scruples. Both are done to make money & done often.

If you are not sure what you are looking at PLEASE try to find someone the does BEFORE you buy a car. Some fakes are very famous, so Google the VIN also just in case.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 03:18 AM

Quote:

Morty,

I'm not attempting to play judge and jury and I understand that your situation is a tough one (especially on the Hemi car!) but quite frankly I don't see an easy way rectify it other than digging up the original documentation. Imagine if you had it all made up and then the original stuff shows up on a different car? How would that play out?

Personally I don't see a problem with putting a replacement tag on a car as long as it's represented as such. However, having a reproduction tag would definately negatively affect my assesment of the cars value, and if I didn't know the cars owner or it's history (in detail), it would also raise curiousity about the authenticity of the rest of the car.

Regardless of how well meaning you or anothers efforts are, it's the owners down the road that can be either mislead or misrepresent a car with fake documentation. That can easily lead things down the darker pathways. We've all seen it so I'm sure you know what I mean.

Scott,

I do have my VIN tag so I hope no one is out there trying to build a car around my fender tag that may be out there.

However I do know what you mean. My brother and I had a 1970 Charger R/T Hemi that we restored. The car was brown, column shift with stripe delete. It later found an owner that added a stripe and a Dana 60. It has been on eBay many times with claims about mileage and options that were not original to the car. I would contact the poster and they would change the add, but still.

Morty

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 05:06 AM

Quote:

Ok ..From A to Y B41 B51 C16 D34 D53 E87 G11 J46 J81 N96 R33 R36 S77 VX1 V6X W23 Y14 T86 There are no A (group) codes. The sticker price for this 71 Challenger was $4752.05 Funny thing about this car is the OPEN 323 rear .It must have been a handful on a rainy day.

If that's what GG gave you for codes you need to ask for your money back

D34 would not be correct.

Also there are codes that would have to be there that you don't have listed. Are you holding out?

If you can email me a copy of your broadcast sheet I can probably help you.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 05:08 AM

Quote:

If someone has a rusty tag or other original data like a broadcast sheet, the data for most cars is available to have a correct reproduction made.

Thank you !!! I have the orig window sticker, broadcast sheet,vin tag and a whold folder of other info on the car from the 80s. I would use ALL the documentation avail to make an assement on a car, not JUST a trim tag. I have been offered stupid money for this car with the buyers knowing that the trim tag was MIA because I have so much other documentation for the car.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 05:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

D34 would not be correct. Yikes...my typin is no good actually the codes are B41 B51 C19 C55 C93 F25 F96 G11 G41 J11 J15 J21 J25 J31 J46 J81 L76 M21 M26 N41 N42 N85 N96 R36 R33S15 S25S77 S81 W23...

Also there are codes that would have to be there that you don't have listed. Are you holding out? I see on the left side of the printout E87 D32 D53 T86 V01 V1X GY3 V6X TX8 Those are all the 3 letter codes

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 08:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There are several ways.

The we go to step two. There are other ways to tell fake tags that are not listed.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 08:37 AM

with that, and maybe even a 3rd, but I'm not talkin'
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you !!! I have the orig window sticker, broadcast sheet,vin tag and a whold folder of other info on the car from the 80s. I would use ALL the documentation avail to make an assement on a car, not JUST a trim tag. I have been offered stupid money for this car with the buyers knowing that the trim tag was MIA because I have so much other documentation for the car.

Here we go.... wait for it.... So WHY make a fake tag for it??????????
It is missing. I would much rather have an honest guy just say. Here is what I have on the car, the tag is missing. SO WHAT! you have the build sheet, NOTHING else matters. Except when I step up and look at your car, and I can tell a repop tag easily, I walk away thinking you faked it and then everything about the car is tainted. As you said the value isn't hurt by not having one so again...... why fake one???

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/23/11 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There are several ways.

No, even if the data is correct a repop tag can be told from an original pretty easily by someone that knows what they are looking at.

It also depends on the plant, take Lynch Rd., there is info on the tag that is not on any other piece of documentation, you have to make those numbers up.

When I see a repop tag on a restored car EVERYTHING is in question without solid proof to back it up.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

D34 would not be correct. Yikes...my typin is no good actually the codes are B41 B51 C19 C55 C93 F25 F96 G11 G41 J11 J15 J21 J25 J31 J46 J81 L76 M21 M26 N41 N42 N85 N96 R36 R33S15 S25S77 S81 W23...

Also there are codes that would have to be there that you don't have listed. Are you holding out? I see on the left side of the printout E87 D32 D53 T86 V01 V1X GY3 V6X TX8 Those are all the 3 letter codes

Mike

Based on the info you provided your tag would look like this. However I still think you are holding back a code or two that might make people question the tag. All the lower case stuff are things you have not provided.

PS: I know all you "experts" can ID a repo tag.

Attached picture 6933411-Picture2.png

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 02:52 PM

Thanks, thats what I need. I did send all the option codes on Galens printout except some of the trim int trim codes like H6X9 (high grade trim bucket seat black) and TX8 (BLK steering wheel)but I did not send the codes past the U (USA). I did not post any 3 nbr codes like 413 (440/6)or 45 (e-body PD master cyl)ect cause I thought they were not used on the top half of the trim tag. I will send you more info in a PM. Thanks for the info.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Based on the info you provided your tag would look like this. However I still think you are holding back a code or two that might make people question the tag. All the lower case stuff are things you have not provided.

That one will stick out like a sore thumb ...

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 05:00 PM

.........thats not good. I will wait to here back from GG to see if he ever got a copy of the orig tag befor I have a new one made. I do know that one of the prev owner, Hank Bowers was a SIAC member back in the 80s. I wonder if any of that info still exsist today.
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 05:17 PM

Jeff Bangert has alot of SIAC info .

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 05:35 PM

Any contact info for him ?? Is he a member here ?

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 07:21 PM

I have copies of all the SIAC info Jeff got from Tom Quadrini except for the AAR Cuda's.

You can search http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/found.shtml for your VIN to see if I have anything for it here.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 07:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

That one will stick out like a sore thumb ...

Please enlighten us

I could tell you the two things that "might" be wrong with it, but let's see your knowledge of 71 tags.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 08:27 PM

Why does it have M21 twice?

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/24/11 09:03 PM

Quote:

Why does it have M21 twice?

Obviously this isn't something you should be doing while enjoying an adult beverage

That would be a mistake
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/25/11 02:42 AM

In my opinion, a reproduction tag can cast doubt on an otherwise honest car down the road. If you have a lot of other documentation, the repro tag adds nothing to the value. It might make you feel warm and fuzzy as the current owner, but it will be spotted a mile away.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/27/11 02:48 PM

Quote:

In my opinion, a reproduction tag can cast doubt on an otherwise honest car down the road. If you have a lot of other documentation, the repro tag adds nothing to the value. It might make you feel warm and fuzzy as the current owner, but it will be spotted a mile away.

@theshakerproject: If you really want to have a tag in your enginebay:
Let the fake tag being produced but instead of the last six digits of your VIN in the lower right bottom let there be "repro" stamped in. In that case everyone knows it is not original, including the novices. And you have told it the spectator without waking doubts of your car or intentions.

Carsten
Posted By: BS27R1B

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 11/28/11 01:46 AM

Quote:

.........thats not good. I will wait to here back from GG to see if he ever got a copy of the orig tag befor I have a new one made. I do know that one of the prev owner, Hank Bowers was a SIAC member back in the 80s. I wonder if any of that info still exsist today.

Don't hold your breath!
Posted By: 69Y2RT

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/02/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Let the fake tag being produced but instead of the last six digits of your VIN in the lower right bottom let there be "repro" stamped in. In that case everyone knows it is not original, including the novices. And you have told it the spectator without waking doubts of your car or intentions.

Carsten

Whenever I see a reproduction tag on a car that the owner is trying to pass off as the original tag, I assume that the block and trans have also been restamped and are not original.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/02/11 07:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Carsten

Whenever I see a reproduction tag on a car that the owner is trying to pass off as the original tag, I assume that the block and trans have also been restamped and are not original.

From a Seller's perspective I disagree--here's why: Lack of a tag on a car is an immediate turn off to a LOT of potential buyers, in terms of a V-Code E-body easily the MAJORITY of potential buyers. You've just severely restricted the demand right there.

Now put on well-made FAKE/REPRO whatever tag and you've just satisfied SOME of the above turn-off buyers. Not everyone will spot a fake tag, and in fact I would venture that only a minority of people will.

As far as someone who MAY have been interested in a no-tag car, but not interested in a Fake/Repro tag car--they are miniscule in percentage. If you care that much about the tag (and I do) then the fact its gone is a deal-killer already.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/02/11 08:05 PM

A missing FT is only a deal killer to me if there is no BS; with a sheet, the missing tag is less of a big deal....to me anyway. I've always said that despite the fact the FT has less info on it, it is part of the car and the BS isn't....given the choice, I'll take the original FT/no BS car over it's inverse.....but either is acceptable to me.

This thread has made me think: I've always said that despite my dislike for fake and fraudulent documentation that I'd consider a repop FT *IF* there was enough original documentation to back it up...but I'm finding myself leaning towards some that have expressed the opinion that a repop tag raises too many questions and taints the car without adding much to the car.....

I guess it's about "lines in the sand" and where your comfort level is. For me:

- no original tag or BS = no repop tag
- have BS, missing FT = maybe repop tag
- have a rusty but legible FT or pics of original tag = yep, i'd do it

I have dozens of pics of my original FT as well as a couple pencil rubbings.....if my original went AWOL, I'd get a duplicate made.

Dave
Posted By: OneOfMany

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/02/11 11:05 PM

Interesting.. I'd take a BS over a fendertag any day.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/03/11 12:02 AM

Quote:

Interesting.. I'd take a BS over a fendertag any day.

Yep, you're not alone but I stand by my preference.

On one hand It'd be nice to know which tires my car came with and whether or not it had full wheelcovers, but the FT covers the bulk of the important stuff.

OTOH, I don't have a blank spot where the FT is supposed to live or a repop that makes people question whether or not the car is fake....

....so I'll take the FT any day.....though either is good enough and both is great!

Dave
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/03/11 01:12 PM

if a repo fender tag is going to cast so much doubt about the car shouldn't anything other then an original paint car be in question also? i mean come on now. its pretty damn easy to swap the numbers on a car before its painted. god knows how many "rare" high dollar well known cars out there have had numbers swapped on them back in the day before anyone really cared. i'll bet its a lot more then any would believe.

Quote:

To put it bluntly, most people with the knowledge to properly lay out a tag aren't going to be offering (detailed) assistance as most of them do not want you in on their game of making fake tags.

fixed.
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/03/11 03:33 PM

Quote:

A missing FT is only a deal killer to me if there is no BS; with a sheet, the missing tag is less of a big deal....to me anyway. I've always said that despite the fact the FT has less info on it, it is part of the car and the BS isn't....given the choice, I'll take the original FT/no BS car over it's inverse.....but either is acceptable to me.

This thread has made me think: I've always said that despite my dislike for fake and fraudulent documentation that I'd consider a repop FT *IF* there was enough original documentation to back it up...but I'm finding myself leaning towards some that have expressed the opinion that a repop tag raises too many questions and taints the car without adding much to the car.....

I guess it's about "lines in the sand" and where your comfort level is. For me:

- no original tag or BS = no repop tag
- have BS, missing FT = maybe repop tag
- have a rusty but legible FT or pics of original tag = yep, i'd do it

I have dozens of pics of my original FT as well as a couple pencil rubbings.....if my original went AWOL, I'd get a duplicate made.

Dave

I thought I wrote this myself. My thoughts completely. I am a numbers geek and love broadcast sheets, but if I had a choice over the two, would take an original fender tag for all the reasons above. Also the reason I hold original documentation so highly. I wonder what the masses would prefer if we had a poll?

Rick.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/03/11 05:03 PM

Quote:

if a repo fender tag is going to cast so much doubt about the car shouldn't anything other then an original paint car be in question also? i mean come on now. its pretty damn easy to swap the numbers on a car before its painted. god knows how many "rare" high dollar well known cars out there have had numbers swapped on them back in the day before anyone really cared. i'll bet its a lot more then any would believe.
...................................................................... Very True... Im reall not in the game of flipping and selling ANY mopars. I have never sold one. I keep them for me and I build them how I want too. I like my cars to look correct and run better than stock using as many correct parts as possable . I think is funny when people say there OPINION could hurt or taint the value of any car. Thats just plain B.S. !!! Im not trying to add any value or fool anybody by reproducing a fender tag . I just want one on my car. These day, with all the social media aviliable to check out a fender tag or other documentation, I think it would be difficult to still get fooled. EVERY high end restored collecter car these day should be suspect and should be checked out using all avail resources befor purchase. BTW, most of the info I needed to format a tag for my Hamtrack car was in the 70-71 parts book. I thank everybody for there opinion, positive or negitive, its all good.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/03/11 08:36 PM

Quote:

BTW, most of the info I needed to format a tag for my Lynch RD car was in the 70-71 parts book.

I'm confused; you said in the first post that your car was a Hamtrack built car...you talking about two different cars now?

I think a Lynch Rd tag would be the hardest to "duplicate" seeing as how (IIRC) the gate, line and sequence numbers at the top of the tag appear nowhere else. You'd have to make them up completely

Anyhow,

Dave

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/03/11 08:39 PM

Quote:

I think is funny when people say their OPINION could hurt or taint the value of any car. Thats just plain B.S. !!! The value of most anything, cars included, is based on opinion. Some people's opinion on the value of an item carries more weight than others. One person's negative opinion on the value of a car can hurt it.

Im not trying to add any value or fool anybody by reproducing a fender tag . At least be honest. Of course you are fooling someone. You want to put one on your car to make think people it's the original.

These day, with all the social media aviliable to check out a fender tag or other documentation, I think it would be difficult to still get fooled. EVERY high end restored collecter car these day should be suspect and should be checked out using all avail resources befor purchase. High end collectors sure....the average Joe. No. the average Joe believes it's the original.

BTW, most of the info I needed to format a tag for my Lynch RD car was in the 70-71 parts book. Page 6 only shows a generic layout. It's not specific to LR. Is there another page in the parts book I'm missing?

What was coded, when it was coded and where it was coded on the tag changed during the year. From what I can tell, there are at least three different code change layouts to the 70 LR tag.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/04/11 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

BTW, most of the info I needed to format a tag for my Lynch RD car was in the 70-71 parts book.

I'm confused; you said in the first post that your car was a Hamtrack built car...you talking about two different cars now?

I think a Lynch Rd tag would be the hardest to "duplicate" seeing as how (IIRC) the gate, line and sequence numbers at the top of the tag appear nowhere else. You'd have to make them up completely

Anyhow,

Dave

Sorry, my mistake ...it is a Hamtrack car. My Charger R/T was built at Lynch rd and has its orig tag. The basic layout of the tag for a Hamtrack car is in the parts book. Yes the Lynch rd tags are different as seen on the 71 superbee site.

Re: Orig trim tag MIA. How to get the orig layout to redo. - 12/04/11 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think is funny when people say their OPINION could hurt or taint the value of any car. Thats just plain B.S. !!! The value of most anything, cars included, is based on opinion. Some people's opinion on the value of an item carries more weight than others. One person's negative opinion on the value of a car can hurt it. The value of most anything may be based on a collective opinion...Not ONE persons opinion !

Im not trying to add any value or fool anybody by reproducing a fender tag . At least be honest. Of course you are fooling someone. You want to put one on your car to make think people it's the original. Wrong, I dont care what anyone thinks,I just want a tag on my car. Even a novice can spot a repo tag. This has been said by others as well.

These day, with all the social media aviliable to check out a fender tag or other documentation, I think it would be difficult to still get fooled. EVERY high end restored collecter car these day should be suspect and should be checked out using all avail resources befor purchase. High end collectors sure....the average Joe. No. the average Joe believes it's the original. This IS a high end car. Well, mabe in the hight of the mkt it was.

BTW, most of the info I needed to format a tag for my Lynch RD car was in the 70-71 parts book. Page 6 only shows a generic layout. It's not specific to LR. Is there another page in the parts book I'm missing?

What was coded, when it was coded and where it was coded on the tag changed during the year. From what I can tell, there are at least three different code change layouts to the 70 LR tag.

Sorry for the typo, My Challenger was made in Hamtrack My other car is from lynch rd and has it orig tag. I edited the post above. The parts book layout looks simular to a Hamtrack car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums