Moparts

My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws!

Posted By: 69sixpackbee

My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/23/11 11:19 PM

I was just goofing around yesterday in the shop and I decided to make an easier and cheaper solution to the hard-to-reach rear carb idle screws on the Six Pack setups. Those of you who know what I am talking about can appreciate this!
I am too cheap to buy the high-dollar "Competitors"
re-designed baseplate with the relocated screw location so I set out for an alternative. I took a pair of 8-32x1"lg. 316 stainless set screws and machined my own replacement mixture screws. It is much easier to get at them being that it is a 3/32" hex. I made a quick and dirty ball-end driver so that I can make adjustments with ease! I backcut the ball-end relief some more so I can get at them at about a sixty-degree angle. I have a long version that I put the hex wrench into a 1/4" diameter MDS-filled nylon "handle" which is nothing more than drilling a pilot hole and then heating up the wrench and melting it into the stock. I put an index mark on it so I could monitor the movement accurately. The second iteration is the same concept but with a stiff spring as a compliant joint to gain access with an even more acute angle.

Works like a charm!
I just thought I would share it with you guys!

Regards,
Bud
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/23/11 11:46 PM

AWESOME, thanks for sharing!

Ray
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/24/11 01:28 AM

Great Idea Bud! ....are you going to "market" those?

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/24/11 07:10 AM

Never really thought about it. I guess I could help out those who need it.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/24/11 03:04 PM

Nice Bud Those "other plates" are complete garbage. Machine quality just sucks... good idea just poorly machined. They always hang up and cause a high idle. Dangerous really

A friend of mine used to solder a speedo cable to the mixture screws with some nuts soldered on the very end. It was easy to adjust but you always had the speedo cables hanging out. I guess you could just clip'em off when you have it setup.

Myself I always just keep moving the front to the back
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/24/11 05:19 PM

Quote:

Nice Bud Those "other plates" are complete garbage. Machine quality just sucks... good idea just poorly machined. They always hang up and cause a high idle. Dangerous really

Bought one of the adjustable plates when they first came out,never had a problem and worked/works flawlessly.Same plate from same source today is not the quality as the first.

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/24/11 06:04 PM

Yeah, not to mention that you have to swap all of your stuff over to those plates as well. You would think for the money that they would come ready-to-run
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/24/11 06:08 PM

Paid $115 when they first came out,production cost must have really gone up!
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: My Solution For The Rear Six Pack Carb Idle Screws! - 09/25/11 03:18 PM

Very nice design. I went even one step easiers than that. I took the side metering screws that are in any old metering block off any 750 style carb & installed them in the base plate of my six pack carbs. These mixture screws are alittle longer in length & make the slotted end stick out of the base plate slightly so you can see what you are doing. I then un-bent an old wire coat hanger, straightened it out cut to about 24" long flattened & ground on end like a small screw driver & made a small handle on the other end to be able to twist it. Works great, took 5 mins to make & was all free.
© 2024 Moparts Forums