Moparts

Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday

Posted By: HelleOnWheels

Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 12:30 PM

Here is the story of my 1967 Dodge Coronet RT.

I bought the RT back in 5/99 from a guy who ended up with it in 1991 as a partial trade on a Corvette he was trying to sell. He told me that he parked it in his garage when he got it and never drove it. He was a die hard Corvette fanatic and had little interest in the RT. He left it in the back of his garage from 91-99 until I bought it in '99. I was just out of high school and had a blast driving it around from 5/99 until it broke down in 11/99. The radiator busted a seam and had to be replaced. Here comes the sad part:( I parked it in my garage and never got around to it fro the next 12 years!! The car has not been fired up and even run since it broke down in '99. Same old story we've all heard. I got married and had 3 kids and priorities changed.

Here comes the good part....I decided it was time to get it back on the road. I drained the oil, changed oil filters and put new oil in. Sprayed the tops of the heads with Marvel Mystery Oil and put new valve cover gaskets on to seal it up. I put 3/4 tsp of Marvel in each cylinder and turned the motor over by hand to make sure the rings/pistons were not stuck. I installed new spark plugs with new wires. I installed a new battery and hooked up a gas can to provide me with fresh gas for start up.

We rolled the car out of the garage and proceeded to check everything one last time before we attempted a re-start. This is the crazy part. After the second attempt to re-fire it, it fired right up and went into a somewhat smooth idle. WOOHOO!!! Within 20 seconds I developed a tranny fluid leak and had to shut it down. We fixed the leak and fired it back up. This time it sat at a very nice sounding smooth idle for approx 45 seconds and then it died. Turns out the carb is all gummed up and it is not shutting off the gas flow when it should. You can hear the gas just pouring out from the carb.

This has given me a new found excitement about getting my car back on the road and I have now decided that I am going to spend the next 75 days working feverishly so it can be ready for the Turkey Rod Run in my hometown of Daytona Beach, FL. This is the last place it drove to back in '99.

I am sure I will be on here much more in the very near future!!

Thanks for reading:)

Attached picture 6809954-photo(3).jpg
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 12:39 PM

cool story....we want more pics though.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 02:08 PM

I recommend putting some TransX or Lucas in the trans to swell the seals back up. Once you drive it a little, it should be fine.

I bought a 71-GTX way back in 98 that was real solid, but really should be restored. I'm just tinkering with it now. Finally got it running again and slowly repairing the things to make it roadable.

Attached picture 6810049-P9250009.JPG
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 02:38 PM

Cool deal, I understand when life get's busy.
My black 74 with 340 in it sat from 1987-2003. I did start it a couple times a year and kept straight race gas in it for storage. It has lot's of stabilzers in it. Then have driven it lot's since then all over the country as we take on vacation and use as a driver being towed behind our RV.
Just recently did it start to act up at idle. Yesterday I pulled the carb off of it and plan on rebuilding it today as soon as I get home from work. Every time I drive my old cars it allows me relive a little of my youth!!

Good luck with yours and enjoy!!
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 04:07 PM

Posted By: idrivevintage

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 04:24 PM

Nice looking r/t...dig the color
Posted By: ParadiseCuda

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 06:13 PM

Quote:

I recommend putting some TransX or Lucas in the trans to swell the seals back up. Once you drive it a little, it should be fine.

Would that be trans-x stop leak? Which of the lucas products transmission fix or conditioner?

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 08:35 PM

It has been this color since sometime before '91, but the fender tag says it was originally an HH1 dark copper metallic car. Can't decide if I want to put it back to original color because I like the poly red metallic color that it is right now. Decisions, decisions........
Posted By: cdp

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/04/11 10:01 PM

I think trans-x is a stop leak/conditioner. My experience is that when our mopars sit for extended amounts of time, the front seal dries up and leaks real bad.

I've had this happen on a couple of cars. Added the trans-x, drove for a while, and it never leaked again.
Posted By: MoparABE

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/05/11 01:28 AM

cool
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/05/11 05:03 AM

Cool R/T!!
Posted By: ParadiseCuda

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/05/11 05:12 AM

Quote:

I think trans-x is a stop leak/conditioner. My experience is that when our mopars sit for extended amounts of time, the front seal dries up and leaks real bad.

I've had this happen on a couple of cars. Added the trans-x, drove for a while, and it never leaked again.

Thanks cdp

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/05/11 08:54 PM

Quote:

Here you go...........

Attached picture 6812061-frontview.jpg

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/05/11 08:56 PM

It sounds pretty darn good for not being fired up for the last 12 years!!!

Attached picture 6812064-tailview.jpg
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/06/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

It has been this color since sometime before '91, but the fender tag says it was originally an HH1 dark copper metallic car. Can't decide if I want to put it back to original color because I like the poly red metallic color that it is right now. Decisions, decisions........

Easy decision- if you leave it the color it is, you can DRIVE IT NOW!

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/07/11 01:05 AM

That isn't even a question.....I would drive it in primer gray at this point!!!! I have an itch and it needs to be scratched
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/09/11 06:09 PM

Very cool story! I'd love to have a '67 R/T.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/09/11 11:08 PM

Nice ride! I think you were pretty fortunate that it started up after sitting that long. A neighbor bought a survivor 69 Charger RT (440 auto) after it had sat approx 8-9yrs, stored inside. There was a big dent in the orig gas tank so we replaced it. The orig owner had actually used the car for off road camping trips in the 70s. True story - I've known the orig owner for 35yrs. Anyway, the muck and grime inside that tank was unbelievable. Had we tried to start it, well, it wouldn't have been pretty. Had to get the carb rebuilt also.

Of course this is California, land of crappy gas and tuition support for illegal immigrants.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/09/11 11:14 PM

Quote:

it can be ready for the Turkey Rod Run in my hometown of Daytona Beach, FL.

Nice car & story I'm local also,... DeLand FL.

The Turkey Rod Run is a HUGE show at 5000 to 6000 cars. If your car is ready in time, you should deffinately go to Mopars with Big Daddy at the Don Garlits Drag Race Museum over by Ocala on November 5th & 6th. It's easy to get to,... Take Hwy 40 from Ormond Beach west to I-75 in Ocala, then go south 11 miles. Should take you about an hour and a half to get there. Easy drive, straight shot, not much traffic except other old mopars. It's about 1/10th the size of the Turkey Rod Run, which still makes it a pretty big show.

If your car isn't quite ready in time for the Garlits show, Go without your car. You'll still have a blast.

Tav

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 09/10/11 01:38 AM

I would love to try and have it ready for the Ocala show. That would also give me a trial run to tweak anything before I go to the Turkey Rod Run. I am not to excited about the thoughts of breaking down while driving through a crowd of 3000 people and trying to fix it as a crowd gathers to watch:)

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 10/18/11 01:11 AM

What started as a "quick" restore to get it back and running has turned into an every night project. Here is a list of the things I have accomplished in the last 43 DAYS!!

-cleaned and stripped carb
-4 wheel brake job
-replaced all brake lines and master cylinder
-replaced and rewired headlights
-replaced rear speakers, package tray and jute
-installed new glove box liner
-replaced center console
-painted arm rests
-repaired and sealed rear floor pans
-replaced gas tank and sending unit
-replaced valve cover gaskets
-new ECU
-sanded and repainted the Magnum 500 wheels
-registered my car for the 2011 Turkey Rod Run!!!!

I still have a bunch of stuff I want to do before the Turkey Rod Run gets here.

I am having a blast!!!!

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 10/18/11 08:07 PM

Sounds great, that's quite a bit of progress. Any plans to attend the Garlits show, with or without the car?

Tav

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 10/18/11 10:19 PM

Quote:

Sounds great, that's quite a bit of progress. Any plans to attend the Garlits show, with or without the car?

Tav

I dont think I will have the car ready to drive to the show, but I may try to get out there without it. I am finishing a big project at work and am not sure if I will be available that weekend or not.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 10/19/11 01:07 AM

Sounds familiar.

Mine went into my Dad's barn in '94 with a \6 three speed and got re-incarnated last weekend.

The 440 makes a little more juice than the leaning tower of power, though....

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/19/11 08:49 PM

SHE LIVES!!!!!

You know the story.....finally got it driving and now just need to tune it up a bit....just made it in time for the Turkey Rod Run!!!!!

http://youtu.be/haSJy7phrI4

ENJOY

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/21/11 12:56 AM

Quote:

Here you go.....

Attached picture 6928524-driversideexterior.jpg

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/21/11 12:57 AM

interior...

Attached picture 6928525-fullinterior.jpg

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/21/11 12:57 AM

dash....

Attached picture 6928527-dash.jpg

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/21/11 12:58 AM

front end...

Attached picture 6928532-frontviewoutside.jpg

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/21/11 12:59 AM

I would take a pic of the trunk and under the hood, but they are not the quite up to par with the exterior/interior
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/21/11 01:41 PM

GREAT STORY, I LOVE THAT YOU KEPT IT!! Get some pics of the kids with it!! for their future photos,, Dad's RT, i have a 5 yr old girl, and the past 5 years, cars meant nothing(except buying more, but no time to work on them) now she's my little buddy, always wanting to be with me in the garage,, when she was in preschool, at the playground, she was under one of those, Jeep truck, fixtures,, the teacher ran over thinking something was wrong, with a pair of legs sticking out from under it,, with ALL the boys standing around,, when asked" what are you doing under there, her reply, "fix'n it" , and "ther's spiders underhere" great story,, love the 67 rt's

sorry to run on but FAMILY comes first, now you can enjoy it with them,,,

tell your wife your growing the mullit back out
edit: 1999 are the POST-MULLIT DAYS

have you had a few neighbors stop by? new ones,weird ones?, telling old stories? of there once own cars ? NOT you you still have yours!!

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 11/27/11 04:55 PM

Congratulations, hope you're having fun at the rod run! Today is the last day. I was at bellair plaza on Tuesday night, & at Friendly's for ice cream Saturday night. Headed down to Ft. Lauderdale today.

Enjoy!
Tav
Posted By: p d'ro

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 12/15/11 07:02 PM

Quote:

I am very late to this party, but if you see my avatar you know my vote on the color.

I like the wheels without the trim rings. I have the full chrome magnum 500s, but sometimes I think it looks a little too "Hot Wheels", if you know what I mean. I bought them from a guy who had them on a Hemi roadrunner, and he sold them to me because he thought they took your eyes away from the style of the car. Our "box cars" don't have great lines, but I love them just the same.

Great work on the car. Glad you kept it. I hope you have better luck than me in getting the parts hoarders from letting go of their stash.
Posted By: p d'ro

Re: Parked it 12 years ago......Fired it up yesterday - 12/15/11 07:04 PM

Like the wheel opening moldings you need! $$$$.. A few on e-bay right now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums