Moparts

Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T?

Posted By: gtsuperbee

Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/13/11 08:06 PM

I found a 71 charger R/T that has the original paint still on it. What strikes me as odd is that it has a tail stripe and it looks to be original. It is about 1 and 1/2 times as wide as a 69 bee stripe and has small divisions in it. Is this a factory stripe. I thought I saw something similar at the nats many years ago on a blue 71 R/T but didn't pay close enough attention. I can't post a pic because it will be a dead give away where the car is. Thx for the help. Oh, it is a fc7 car with a 440 4spd and dana as well as painted bumpers just for the record.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/13/11 08:28 PM

I remember seeing a 71 Charger R/T on the dealers lot with that stripe you described. The car I saw was B 5 blue. My parents bought a new 70 Charger R/T SE in late 70. The new Chargers had just arrived. I remember looking at this blue one thinking,i'm glad my parents bought the 70 and not a 71. If the car you are talking about has the correct stripe code on the tag or build sheet,for that wide segmented tailstripe,thats a rare option.
Posted By: 71charger

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/13/11 09:19 PM

I've seen design drawings of that stripe, but never one on a car. I didn't realize it had actually made it into production.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/13/11 09:19 PM

AFAIK it's not a factory stripe. There were several companies that offered strobe stripes to dealers to add to their cars. In addition Mopar Accessories offered a body length strobe stripe in 1974, so maybe they the offered what you saw for 1971.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/13/11 11:00 PM

Quote:

AFAIK it's not a factory stripe. There were several companies that offered strobe stripes to dealers to add to their cars. In addition Mopar Accessories offered a body length strobe stripe in 1974, so maybe they the offered what you saw for 1971.

There are many stripes which may appear to be "factory" but are more likely "dealer".

The below is from a factory brochure, but no such striping was ever offered from the factory.

Posted By: RM23V1

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 12:05 AM

Crappy cellphone pics of a 1994 article about just such a car, claimed to have been ordered with the "ultra-rare bumblebee stripe"
The first page has the factory diagrams of the different stripe options, including the never-seen gullwing spoiler option.

Of course, I can't confirm if any of this info is correct or not.

Posted By: 71383beep

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 03:06 AM

I remember that article.

I think it was a custom dealer installed item though. I have thought about replicating it, but there is just not much to go off of for a template.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 03:11 AM

Frankly, although unique, it doesn't look that good or even right for that matter. Is there a code for it? If not I'm guessing it isn't factory.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 04:06 AM

Code on tag or buildsheet, otherwise its been added.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 07:32 AM

Quote:

Crappy cellphone pics of a 1994 article about just such a car, claimed to have been ordered with the "ultra-rare bumblebee stripe"
The first page has the factory diagrams of the different stripe options, including the never-seen gullwing spoiler option.

Of course, I can't confirm if any of this info is correct or not.

What's the magazine & month? My uncle painted that car for Bob & painted the stripe based on the "factory diagram" in the early '80s. Can you tell from the pics the car had Cordoba buckets in it at the time?
Posted By: 71383beep

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 12:00 PM

I agree. I don't think it was a factory option. I am sure there was suggestions and sketches from chrysler that were considering its use (which the article alludes too) though.

I also recall reading somewhere that the designer behind the 71 B body style for the charger was not a fan of the bumble bee stripe which is why the longitudinal stripe was used for the 71 body style change...not sure where I recall hearing this, but its one of those rumors that makes sense. A bumble bee stripe on this body does look a bit odd.
Posted By: 1972Rallye

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 12:55 PM

It was considered as an option, but never made it to production. You can see the different proposals in this drawing (same as in article)...

...coincide with this early clay model...

It also appeared in early engineering drawings...
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 05:50 PM

Coronet?
Posted By: 1972Rallye

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 06:39 PM

Quote:

Coronet?

Yep... with the 2-door Coronet gone, Chargers were now classified as Coronets - all VINs started with W.
Posted By: RM23V1

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/14/11 06:57 PM

Quote:

What's the magazine & month? My uncle painted that car for Bob & painted the stripe based on the "factory diagram" in the early '80s. Can you tell from the pics the car had Cordoba buckets in it at the time?

MoPerformance May/June 1994
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Factory tail stripe on a 71 charger R/T? - 06/15/11 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MoPerformance May/June 1994

The B5 car that I saw on the dealers lot,back in late 70 had that stripe. Maybe the dealer put it on,but it had that wide segmented tail stripe. If none were made,maybe they had a buyer that saw a photo of the stripe,and wanted it. Who knows?
© 2024 Moparts Forums