Moparts

Challenger SE trim questions

Posted By: A990

Challenger SE trim questions - 05/08/11 10:55 PM

What would M21 and M31 be? I dont see it mentioned on the H-H site.

Would the A63 package include the rocker panel moulding, if ordered on a non SE?

Thanks
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/08/11 11:05 PM

M21 Roof Rail Trim
M31 Beltline Trim
A63 does not include rocker trim...

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/08/11 11:35 PM

Awesome.
Another question-
Would A63 appear on the fender tag?

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/09/11 12:09 AM

I have a few friends with cars that have the code but I can't say all plants coded it, that would be a question for one of the true tag gurus... I know a little but I like to think I still have a life..
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/09/11 03:36 AM

Quote:

Awesome.
Another question-

___________________________________________ _

I (believe) my California car has A63 on the fendertag. Im not looking at it, but Im 90% sure it does.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/09/11 01:26 PM

Quote:

Awesome.
Another question-

A reliable source answered that question for me once. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact answer right now. I have the info saved somewhere... I believe he said that A63 only appears on some tags. It may not be on the SE cars tags because it was part of the SE package, meaning that A63 was for the Non-SE cars that wanted the SE trim.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/09/11 02:18 PM

OK, after seeing the other thread with a similar question, I dug through my notes and looked up the answer. Here you go...

A63 consists of...
M31 - Body Belt Mouldings - top of 1/4s, doors, fenders, and hood
no-code - Front Stone Shield Moulding
no-code - Rear/Tail Panel Astrotone Moulding

A car with A63 will have A63 & M31 on the fender tag.

These pieces that made up the A63 molding group were all standard on a SE, and for that reason, A63 was not available on the SE cars. An SE car will have M31 on the fender tag, but Not A63.

A63 was a way to order these parts on a non-SE car.

M21 drip rail moldings will be coded on all the hardtop challengers.

M26 wheel lip moldings will be on the broadcast, but not on the fender tag on all the challengers except T/A and A66.

M05 door edge protectors & M25 rocker moldings were each available seperately from everything else.

M42 front stone shield molding & M44 hood rear and fender moldings are codes that were not used for Challengers. These codes are for Chargers and other cars.

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/09/11 06:39 PM

And a Western Sport Special will have A63 as an automatic add.. Along with the woodgrained dash & a rimblow wheel... Plus a few other options I'm not remembering off the top of my head..

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/09/11 07:12 PM

Western Sport Specials (code A91) are pretty nice cars. They also came with the M25 rocker molding.

Tav
Posted By: 71GoMango

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/16/11 09:43 PM

Quote:

M42 front stone shield molding & M44 hood rear and fender moldings are codes that were not used for Challengers. These codes are for Chargers and other cars.

Are you saying these aren't on Challengers? I have both of these codes on my 71 Challenger RT A78 car. Mine is a 2 fender tag car JS23H1B

and my tags are:
M31, M42, M44, M91, N41, CTD, J25, J41, J45, J54, M21, C26, C55, G11, G31, G33, H51, V1W, U, A46, A78, B51, C16, 999, H6X9, 000, 413, K45021, E55, D32, Y39, 26, EN2, N42, N85, P31, R36, V6W

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 12:30 AM

Hey, that sounds like a pretty cool car. I'm fond of lots of options. Can you post a pic of the fender tags or broadcast sheet? You can black out the VIN on the photo if you'd like.

The string of codes was a little hard to read, lets see if I can make it a little easier...

Tag 1

M31 M42 M44 M91 N41 CTD
J25 J41 J45 J54 M21
C26 C55 G11 G31 G33 H51
V1W U A46 A78 B51 C16
999 H6X9 000 413 K45021
E55 D32 JS23H1B******

Tag 2

Y39 26 EN2
N42 N85 P31 R36 V6W

There, that's a little easier to read. Did I get it right?

Yes, I said those two codes were not used on Challengers, but I'm double checking that now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Those codes do Not appear on SE fender tags. Those codes do Not appear on A63 fender tags. I'll try and double check broadcast sheets soon, I don't have them in front of me at the moment.

Perhaps they are used as part of the A46 package? I'm looking into it, but help is appreciated.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 02:10 AM

Two things of interest

Its 999 paint, wonder what the color is
The K 1st digit

Sounds like a very cool car. Any chance its Mauve? lol
Posted By: m46rat

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 02:27 AM

Tav: Here is another one for you:
M28 M31 M42 M44 N41 CTD
H51 J25 L25 L31 M21
B51 C16 C55 G11 G31 G33
V1X U A01 A04 A46 A62
GY8 H6Y3 000 903 022945
E65 D32 JH23 N1B 127---

EN2
N85 R11 R31 V5X 26
JH23 N1B 127---

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 03:06 AM

Here are my tags:

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 03:47 AM

Oh my word-
is this a Omaha Orange car? If so then

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 02:02 PM

Actually I will never know, could not find a build sheet, I bought the car from a non mopar guy and I guess it had some pretty serious rot, so he(or the person he got the car from)was replacing sheet metal on it from a 70 challenger and was painting it panther pink and almost like he wanted a TA car...He had a 1:18 scale model of a pink TA Challenger in his garage and I think that was his goal...anyway, someone tried to steel it from him and it was missing a tie rod or something at the time, so they didnt get far with it and left it smashed into the trees a block down the road...And so when I bought it I tried to decipher an original color, and after studying it we think it was GoMango Orange, so thats what we went with...Maybe someday we will run into someone who knows more about it, I have tried to do some research, but havent had much luck...I know it was owned by a gentleman in the 80's in or near the Brevard or Melbourne, FL area...I was told it had been painted a couple times and once was a burgundyish color with a black vinyle top...

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 02:16 PM

M42 & M44 are not used on any of the SE broadcast sheets I have.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any A63 broadcast sheets or A46 broadcast sheets. Can someone out there check those (or upload here so we can see)?

I expect that the codes won't be on any A63 sheets, but will be on all A46 sheets, even though both splash pan scoop & rear hood moldings are the same 70-71.

I've also found that M42 IS used on 72 Challenger broadcast and fender tags, but it's not the same molding as the 71 version. Interestingly, M42 doesn't seem to be used on the 73-74 challengers, even though they used the same molding as 72.

M44 doesn't seem to be used on any 72-74 Challenger.

hmmm

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 02:41 PM

Is M42 the valance trim? And is M44 something to do with the belt molding trim that is on the back edge of the hood and fenders? I was always confused on this one, I used to wish it meant the wide front end trim, but I guess that was M28 correct? Was there ever a duplicate code for the wide front trim? I mean technically its duplicating the M31 code if its referring to the belt molding...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/17/11 07:48 PM

Quote:

... but I guess that was M28 correct?

M28 is wide hood trim

Quote:

Was there ever a duplicate code for the wide front trim?

No

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/18/11 12:12 AM

Yes, M42 is the front valance molding, somtimes reffered to as stone shield molding or front splash pan scoop molding. The M42 code seems to only be used on 1971 A46 molding package challengers, & also on the 1972 challengers. The part itself is different between 1971 & 1972. The 1971 version is also used uncoded on 1970 SE & 1970 A63 cars. The 1972 version is also used uncoded on 1973 & 1974 cars.

Yes, M44 is the back edge of the hood & fenders on 1971 A46 molding package challengers. These same parts are used on the 1970 SE & 1970 A63 cars, but on those cars they are considered as part of the M31 belt molding as the M44 code was not used. So, 1970 M31 is hood, fenders, doors & quarters, while 1971 M31 is only doors & quarters. Convertibles will use a different piece on the quarters than the hardtops do. The rear belt molding around the convertible top well is on all convertibles and is not part of the M31 package. The vinyl roof / V02 paint belt molding is also not part of the M31 package. 1971 M28 front hood molding is not belt molding and is also not part of the M31 package. I think the M44 rear hood molding is the same piece that's used on the chargers and is interchangeable, but I'm not sure about the fender pieces.

Strangely enough, there IS a local F8 green 1970 440 4 barrel Challenger R/T with hood and fender molding, but without door & quarter molding. Very Odd! The car sold new right here in town and has only changed hands a couple times. The owner has the broadcast sheet, and I've been dying to have another look at it since I noticed the strange trim.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/18/11 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

M42 front stone shield molding & M44 hood rear and fender moldings are codes that were not used for Challengers.

Are you saying these aren't on Challengers? I have both of these codes on my 71 Challenger RT

It looks like I should have said that these codes were not used for 1970 Challengers. The A63 option and SE Challengers we were discussing were both only available in 1970.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/18/11 01:11 PM

Quote:

M44 is the back edge of the hood & fenders on 1971 A46 molding package challengers. These same parts are used on the 1970 SE & 1970 A63 cars, but on those cars they are considered as part of the M31 belt molding as the M44 code was not used. So, 1970 M31 is hood, fenders, doors & quarters, while 1971 M31 is only doors & quarters.

All of the fender tag decoding sites I have looked at(including the one I printed 10 years ago) show that M31 is specifically belt & HOOD molding unless its 69-70, then there is another listing stating that M31(69-70)was just belt molding, which contradicts what your stating here, if Im understanding you correctly...Not that you dont have extensive knowledge and research as it sounds like you do, Im just wondering where these fender tag decoder sheets were derived and if these are wrong?

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/18/11 02:26 PM

For the most part, those decoders are based on the research of Galen Govier. He has published this research in his white books, also known as pocket books. They are good resources and available on his website fairly cheap if you're interested in obtaining a copy for yourself. He has being doing this for a long time, and occasionally updates the books with new info. It possible that the online places copied both the outdated & the updated info. A lot of those online decoders copy from each other and don't really do any research of their own. If they do any research on their own, that research is prone to be be incomplete or questionable.

The biggest problem with almost any decoder is that they try to simplify the codes over a period of years and models, but in reality, the meaning/availability of the codes can change between years/models, and different models often use different parts for the same code. This is especialy true of grouped items like option packages.

For example,...

A Challenger trunk light won't be the same as a Roadrunner trunk light, even though they may both use the same trunk light code.

The 71 Challenger M42 molding is a different part from the 72 Challenger M42 molding.

M88 tail panel molding is 4 piece stainless on a 70 'Cuda, but the same code in the same year on a Gran Coupe Barracuda is a 3 piece aluminum molding.

Sometimes a code will not be used for a year, and then come back meaning something entirely different. You'll see that in the decoders when they try to add info from the late 70's or the 80's on top of the musclecar era stuff.

Even though M42 doesn't appear to have been used on 70 Challengers, it may have still been used on other mopars in 1970 and even in 1969, so the decoders would list it as M42 1969-1972. (this is just an example, M42 doesn't appear to have been used on anything in 1969)

For a decoder to really be reliable, it needs to be make and model specific.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/18/11 03:05 PM

Quote:

For the most part, those decoders are based on the research of Galen Govier. He has published this research in his white books, also known as pocket books. They are good resources and available on his website fairly cheap if you're interested in obtaining a copy for yourself. He has being doing this for a long time, and occasionally updates the books with new info. It possible that the online places copied both the outdated & the updated info. A lot of those online decoders copy from each other and don't really do any research of their own. If they do any research on their own, that research is prone to be be incomplete or questionable.

The biggest problem with almost any decoder is that they try to simplify the codes over a period of years and models, but in reality, the meaning/availability of the codes can change between years/models, and different models often use different parts for the same code. This is especialy true of grouped items like option packages.

For example,...

A Challenger trunk light won't be the same as a Roadrunner trunk light, even though they may both use the same trunk light code.

The 71 Challenger M42 molding is a different part from the 72 Challenger M42 molding.

M88 tail panel molding is 4 piece stainless on a 70 'Cuda, but the same code in the same year on a Gran Coupe Barracuda is a 3 piece aluminum molding.

Sometimes a code will not be used for a year, and then come back meaning something entirely different. You'll see that in the decoders when they try to add info from the late 70's or the 80's on top of the musclecar era stuff.

Even though M42 doesn't appear to have been used on 70 Challengers, it may have still been used on other mopars in 1970 and even in 1969, so the decoders would list it as M42 1969-1972. (this is just an example, M42 doesn't appear to have been used on anything in 1969)

For a decoder to really be reliable, it needs to be make and model specific.

Tav

100%
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/18/11 11:24 PM

Just curious, on a '70 Challenger convertible, what would be the code on the back hood, top fender/door moulding?

M41? M44?

I've seen very very few 'verts w/that moulding. Jerome Verbit was the only one who repopped the long, 'Cuda-like rear quarter moulding that matched up w/the well moulding.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/19/11 12:12 AM

Tav,
My 71 R/T shaker Challenger also has those codes for the fender/hood trim and the valance trim, I think they are for 71 but not for 70 on Challengers.

My

Darren

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/19/11 03:27 AM

Cataclysm, thanks for the help, and for not taking my comment in the wrong context as I was only trying to gain a better understanding of all this, Im sure the folks 40 yrs ago never thought what a controversy these codes would cause some folks these days.

How would I go about finding production info for all 71 challengers, like how many RT's were built, then how many of those were formal roof, and then how many were special ordered(K - special handling & Y39), and how many had a 999 paint code. Id like to have some display signs with a little history made up to use with my car @ shows...should this be another post? dont want to highjack this thread...Thanks!

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/19/11 01:58 PM

Quote:

Tav,
My 71 R/T shaker Challenger also has those codes for the fender/hood trim and the valance trim, I think they are for 71 but not for 70 on Challengers.

My

Darren

Hi Darren, I agree, that's also the conclusion I've come to.

Next time your at Casita de Tejas, have a bite of food for me. Yum

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/19/11 02:22 PM

Quote:

How would I go about finding production info for all 71 challengers, like how many RT's were built, then how many of those were formal roof, and then how many were special ordered(K - special handling & Y39), and how many had a 999 paint code. Id like to have some display signs with a little history made up to use with my car @ shows...

Galens white book for 1969-1971 will tell you how many 71 Challenger R/Ts were built along with what their Engine/Transmission combo was. Convertibles are listed seperatly from hardtops in the book. It won't have any of the more specific info you're looking for though. It sounds like what your REALLY looking for is Galens 1971 Challenger R/T Options & Accessories Report. That will give you a much better idea how many 71 Challenger R/Ts came with each option code. I'd like to get all of his options & accessories reports myself, but so far I only have part of the 70 Challenger version.

Here's Galens contact info...

website http://www.gvgovier.com/

Call or Write or email:

booksales@gvgovier.com

Galen's Tag Service, LLC.
Galen V. Govier
PO Box 516
Prairie du Chien, WI 53821-0516
(608) 326-6346 VOX
(608) 326-8061 FAX

I don't think the website gets updated very often, and it may not show the item that you're looking for. It might be better to call on the phone.

I think that having a sign for your car is an excellent idea. You have a rare and interesting car. Having the sign will let everyone know about it, instead of just those of us who can decode the tag.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/19/11 02:37 PM

Quote:

Just curious, on a '70 Challenger convertible, what would be the code on the back hood, top fender/door moulding?

The 70 Challenger convertible broadcast sheets I have are not coded for that molding. Near as I can tell though, the code would be M31, the same as the other 70 Challengers. Same code, even though the quarter top molding is a different part for the convertible.

M31 may not have been available seperately from the A63 package though, so possibly BOTH codes would appear.

Tav
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/19/11 05:57 PM

Quote:

then how many of those were formal roof

I have seen numbers around 229 for Formal Roof A78 coded cars. I truly love seeing these car's pop up. I have only seen 1 in my area and it was for sale at Carlisle. They seem to show up here and there. Between people talking and pictures Ive seen as well as eBay - I have known about maybe 15 total.

There's always someone who chimes in on the A78 threads who says they aren't special, or they see them all of the time. They are unique, and I hope to see another 1 in person. There is a B5 RT in a book i saw recently that is barn found that looks cool.

My fender tag is loaded too, but they only went with a 318 which doesn't bother me. I don't have to feel bad about having a stroker in its place.

Posted By: ebodiesonly

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/20/11 04:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The 70 Challenger convertible broadcast sheets I have are not coded for that molding. Near as I can tell though, the code would be M31, the same as the other 70 Challengers. Same code, even though the quarter top molding is a different part for the convertible.

M31 may not have been available seperately from the A63 package though, so possibly BOTH codes would appear.

Tav

I have broadcast sheet for my Challenger vert and it has both of those codes, A63 and M31

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/20/11 05:34 PM

GREAT, An A63 broadcast sheet! Would you please verify that M42 &/or M44 Do Not appear on your A63 broadcast sheet?

Thanks!

Tav
Posted By: ebodiesonly

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/20/11 06:28 PM

Quote:

GREAT, An A63 broadcast sheet! Would you please verify that M42 &/or M44 Do Not appear on your A63 broadcast sheet?

Thanks!

Tav

Hi Tav,
M42 or M44 does not appear in my Challenger's broadcast sheet.
SPD of my vert is A28, maybe later those codes might be included in the broadcast sheet?
Posted By: m46rat

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/21/11 04:09 AM

I have a sheet with A63 coded on it. It is a 70 318 Hard Top Challenger SPD is B08. No M22 or M44 coded on it. Do you want me to check for anything else on it?

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/22/11 04:29 PM

Quote:

Hi Tav,
M42 or M44 does not appear in my Challenger's broadcast sheet.
SPD of my vert is A28, maybe later those codes might be included in the broadcast sheet?

That did cross my mind actually. Galen's white book shows that both codes were used in 1970, it just doesn't say if they were used on Challengers or if it was some other car. Possibly the codes started being used REALLY late in 70 production?

I think a more likely option is that the codes were used on some other mopar in 70, and not on Challengers.

A third option is that Galen is wrong, and the codes aren't used in 70 at all.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/22/11 04:32 PM

Late Enough? Bought it in 74 sold it in 98... Opps,, just realized your talking broadcast sheets... I don't have a scan available here...

N85 N88 N95 R31 R35 CTD
L25 M21 M31 N41 N42
C55 G33 H51 J41 J45 J54
V1X A01 A62 B51 C16 C26
FK5 HRK4 000 723 184372
E86 D32 JS29U0B440289

V68 Y05 26 EN1
JS29U0B440289

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/22/11 04:37 PM

Quote:

M42 & M44 are not used on any of the SE broadcast sheets I have.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any A63 broadcast sheets or A46 broadcast sheets. Can someone out there check those (or upload here so we can see)?

I expect that the codes won't be on any A63 sheets, but will be on all A46 sheets, even though both splash pan scoop & rear hood moldings are the same 70-71.

Quote:

I have broadcast sheet for my Challenger vert and it has both of those codes, A63 and M31. M42 or M44 does not appear in my Challenger's broadcast sheet. SPD of my vert is A28

Quote:

I have a sheet with A63 coded on it. It is a 70 318 Hard Top Challenger SPD is B08. No M42 or M44 coded on it. Do you want me to check for anything else on it?

THANKS! I don't need it for this, but would LOVE to have a copy of a 318 hardtop Challenger sheet for other research. Any chance you could scan it and email it to me?

For this thread, the only thing left is to check and A46 sheet, but if the codes are on the fender tags, it's a really safe bet they're on the sheets also.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/22/11 04:45 PM

Quote:

Late Enough? Bought it in 74 sold it in 98...

N85 N88 N95 R31 R35 CTD
L25 M21 M31 N41 N42
C55 G33 H51 J41 J45 J54
V1X A01 A62 B51 C16 C26
FK5 HRK4 000 723 184372
E86 D32 JS29U0B440289

V68 Y05 26 EN1
JS29U0B440289

Yep, that's late enough for me. Is that the last day of production or something? Wow.

It's an SE, so there isn't an A63 code, but the M42 & M44 codes would have been there IF they were being used at the time. Since they're not, it's pretty safe to say NO M42 or M44 on 70 Challengers.

That's a REALLY nice car Randy! I don't think that I would have been able to sell something like that.

Tav

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/22/11 04:58 PM

It was a nice car, really it still is... But I enjoy my vert enough that I really don't miss the old R/T SE... I never drove that car much, always had something else that was more fun.... It wasn't fast enough to scare ya, it wasn't comfortable enough to make you want to go for a drive... It did everything just like a 70 Challenger... My vert drives better, looks better, gets better mileage.... And I get to fight with Coral about putting the top down....

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/22/11 04:59 PM

N85 N88 N95 R31 R35 CTD
L25 M21 M31 N41 N42
C55 G33 H51 J41 J45 J54
V1X A01 A62 B51 C16 C26
FK5 HRK4 000 723 184372
E86 D32 JS29U0B440289

V68 Y05 26 EN1
JS29U0B440289

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 02:48 AM

Quote:

Here are my tags:

I still contend thats a Omaha Orange car by the paint around the LH screw hole on that FT.

Did you look under the package tray for overspray?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 02:56 AM

It looks like it could be Go Mango to me.

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 03:57 AM

You may be right. I just dont see any metallic.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

It looks like it could be Go Mango to me.

Yep yep yep

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 04:26 AM

Doesnt Go Mango have a small amount of gold metallic? Why bother with 999 when EV2 would get Go Mango?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 05:20 AM

EK2 - "go mango metallic" was canceled after the 1970 model year; so it would be "special order", Y39 & 999 for '71.

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 08:16 AM

Quote:

EV2 was canceled after the 1970 model year; so it would be "special order", Y39 & 999 for '71.

You mean Go Mango EK2 was dropped for 71? EV2 hemi orange was a regular option and a relatively pretty popular color in 71 Challengers.

EV2 has gold metallic in it. IIRC, Go Mango does not.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

EV2 was canceled after the 1970 model year; so it would be "special order", Y39 & 999 for '71.

You mean Go Mango EK2 was dropped for 71? EV2 hemi orange was a regular option and a relatively pretty popular color in 71 Challengers.

Go Mango does have metallic flakes in it.

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 07:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Go Mango does have metallic flakes in it.

Thanks for carifying. Does it have a lot less metallic than EV2 or not as pronouced?

Couldn't you take one of those computor scan of that fender tag and replicate the paint? And see how close it is to Chrysler paints not offered in 1971.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/23/11 09:36 PM

It has less than EV2.

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/24/11 02:17 AM

OK so will someone humor me and post good pics of a K2 and V2 fendertag?

Please and thank you!
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/24/11 02:39 AM

The RM paint chip chart notes "irid" for the metalic paints. 3rd page from the left at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/1970PaintChipCharts-01.shtml

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/24/11 03:03 AM

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I found another FT

P31 R22 V5X Y05 26 EN1
M25 M31 M91 M85 N88
C55 C62 G33 H51 L31 M21
V1X A01 A62 A63 B51 C16
TX9 H5X9 000 122 K00188
E44 D31 JH23 GOB 241357

ATA thanks for the link, but a photo is what I'm going for

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/24/11 03:18 AM

Sorry to not chime in earlier, I wanted to clear it up real quick, those fender tags were previously painted in gomango...they had been cleaned and stripped when I first got them, and when repainted didnt clean well before repainting, so it started lifting off, so I took them off and wire brushed the surface rust off...And as fas as we could tell it was gomango orange under the package tray and inside doors etc...they had painted it several colors through the yrs and had replacement fenders etc...So we stuck w/Gomango...Maybe when we get it completed and to some shows some previous owner or someone will pop up and shed some light on it for me...

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 05/24/11 03:43 AM

Thanks for chiming in 71. To everyone else, I must admit 999 means ANYTHING is possible, and so I get wound up over it. (I wonder if any Hugger Orange mopars were ever built?)
Posted By: B2BigBlockShaker

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/26/11 07:36 PM

i have a friend has a two tag 340 fc7 car with the moulding group option, and the white stripe option, has luggage rackm hood and fender chrome,door chrome, rocker chrome, wide hold chrome, pedal dress up etc rumor has it you cant have body trim and stripe but everything looks correct, numbers matching high option a/c car, cassete player and mic, defogger, space saver tire. have tags but no sheet so im at a loss on a specific code for the body side moulding? cant imagine anyone adding the trim as its usually the first thing to go away. any thoughts appreciated

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/26/11 07:59 PM

Quote:

i have a friend has a two tag 340 fc7 car with the moulding group option, and the white stripe option, has luggage rackm hood and fender chrome,door chrome, rocker chrome, wide hold chrome, pedal dress up etc rumor has it you cant have body trim and stripe but everything looks correct, numbers matching high option a/c car, cassete player and mic, defogger, space saver tire. have tags but no sheet so im at a loss on a specific code for the body side moulding? cant imagine anyone adding the trim as its usually the first thing to go away. any thoughts appreciated

I have a two tag 71 Challenger R/T with wide hood molding and A46 molding group.

Is there a side stripe code on the tag. Can't remember off hand.

The side stripes are a common to add at any point in the cars life. Even likely at the dealer after deliverly.

Do 71 Challenger protective side molding have body rivits/flanges to hook the molding on with like 1970's do?
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/26/11 09:52 PM

body side moulding is V5*. * = x, w, b, etc.

Held on by clips drilled on the side, unlike Cudas.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/27/11 10:52 PM

Quote:

P31 R22 V5X Y05 26 EN1
M25 M31 M91 M85 N88
C55 C62 G33 H51 L31 M21
V1X A01 A62 A63 B51 C16
TX9 H5X9 000 122 K00188
E44 D31 JH23 GOB 241357

How can this tag have an A62 ralley dash code when it DOESN'T have the N85 tach code??
Posted By: lahatte

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/28/11 04:00 AM

The tach code is only on the broadcast sheet.

Correction: My statement above is incorrect.

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/28/11 04:23 AM

Quote:

The tach code is only on the broadcast sheet.

Wrong.. I just checked two 70 Challenger fender tags, both show A62 & N85

One is a JS27N0B the other is a JS29U0E

However there is a N85 on the tag coded above, it is just incorrectly listed as a M85
Posted By: lahatte

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/28/11 04:31 AM

You are correct. I must be remembering that about some other code, I think for part of the rally instrument option.

Thanks.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 10/28/11 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

P31 R22 V5X Y05 26 EN1
M25 M31 M91 M85 N88
C55 C62 G33 H51 L31 M21
V1X A01 A62 A63 B51 C16
TX9 H5X9 000 122 K00188
E44 D31 JH23 GOB 241357

How can this tag have an A62 ralley dash code when it DOESN'T have the N85 tach code??

It's a typo - he typed M85 but that would not come after M91 - that should be N85

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 11/19/11 12:16 AM

Heres another tag from a pretty nice car

On a side note, which Tan would V9T be?
Posted By: Culvers

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 11/19/11 07:12 AM

Quote:

On a side note, which Tan would V9T be?

FT6

btw: I like to see a photo of the car...
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 11/03/15 06:37 PM

A tad off topic, but can the challenger belt molding be repaired???? IE.... sanded then buffed to shine again... In other words is it stainless or anodized??? TIA up
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: Challenger SE trim questions - 11/03/15 06:47 PM

It is stainless and yes you can work out the blemishes with a file, sanding and polishing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums