Moparts

ECS Carpet Review

Posted By: anlauto

ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:10 AM

Today I installed my first carpet from ECS...

Here it is right out of the box.

Attached picture 6609265-ECSREVIEW.JPG

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:11 AM

As you can see it lays in place nicely, but there is plenty of triming to do.

Attached picture 6609268-ECSREVIEW(3).JPG

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:13 AM

Unfortunately with me living in Canada the cost of this carpet and the shipping was somewhat expensive...approximately three times more then a regular carpet..

Attached picture 6609269-ECSREVIEW(1).JPG

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:15 AM

I was very impressed with the way it seem to fit nicely in place, but that didn't really "speed up" the installation process...As for "loop count" and things of that nature, I could not visually see in difference from other carpets I've installed..

Attached picture 6609271-ECSREVIEW(2).JPG
Posted By: Dodge

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:22 AM

How much was just the carpet? Looks to lay down alot better than the carpet I put in my Charger last year. Have you installed a better fitting carpet kit?

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:22 AM

I don't think the gas pedal ended up where it should, but that could be my fault or the fact that the carpet was molded to the hump in the floor and when up tight against the hump, I could not move the heel pad any further to the passenger side.

OVER ALL:
It is very nice quality stuff for sure.
Unless I have another customer that directs me to buy it, or ECS comes up with a way to supply them without shipping (ie: selling them at major shows) I really don't feel that there was sufficient differences from a quality rolled up carpet for me to justify the extra cost.
You guys living inside the USA must try one of these carpets and form your own opinion.

I've installed 20+ carpets in my day...

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:24 AM

Quote:

How much was just the carpet? Looks to lay down alot better than the carpet I put in my Charger last year. Have you installed a better fitting carpet kit?

By the time it arrived in Canada it was $500+ CDN.

No, I've never installed a better fitting carpet, but I've been able to get great results using carpet that has been rolled in a box as well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 03:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

By the time it arrived in Canada it was $500+ CDN.

No, I've never installed a better fitting carpet, but I've been able to get great results using carpet that has been rolled in a box as well.

On the previous one's that you've installed, did you use any heat source like a heat gun to get the carpet to lay down better? Do most carpet sets come with the jute (sp?) backing? I'm in the market for some and trying to find out all I can...
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 04:01 AM

How long did you have to wait? Did they take your order right away when you called? I'd like to get one for my 69 Barracuda but ECS does not have an inventory and said I would have to wait until they could work it in to a future order from their supplier. It sounded like I have to wait indefinitely? I offered to make a deposit. They are supposed to let me know when they're ready but I'm not sure they really have my contact information? I guess I'll get back in touch and try to re-order. One thing is for sure, I cannot live with the Tr_m one I got. It's laying out flat in the car now just hoping it will gain done shape but it's not looking any better than when it came out of the box. It absolutely does not fit nicely over the 4 speed hump. At least the ACC carpets that I have put in my B bodys was somewhat formed and layed flat once you get it in place.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 01:29 PM

Quote:

How long did you have to wait? Did they take your order right away when you called? I'd like to get one for my 69 Barracuda but ECS does not have an inventory and said I would have to wait until they could work it in to a future order from their supplier. It sounded like I have to wait indefinitely?

I went through the exact same process I waiting quite awhile, but I believe it was during the time of their "move". Once I actually placed the order and paid for it, the wait time was only a couple of weeks...I bought two at the same time and they were both stuffed in the same box

I've never had to use a heat source in the past? Try taking them out of the box when they arrive and lay them out somewhere...The sun helps if it's summer time.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:50 PM

The ECS carpet is the best available if you want a proper fit and contour. The other sources that are rolled, folded, and crammed into a box CAN be made to lay flat but usually requires allot of manipulating and a heat gun, then they always seem to have weird stretches and mis shapen areas that never lay right.

The biggest issues I've seen from the other sources are the heal pads which are not right, and most are cut too small overall which does not cover some areas as far as they should (like up under the firewall). ECS carpets are larger so you can trim them properly on all sides and have the heal pads sewn into the correct area.

Yes, the cost is high, maybe not for everyone, especially "drivers", but if you are looking for a high end show car quality ECS supplied carpet stands alone.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 02:58 PM

I have to agree with Scott. I've bought 2 of them over the years, and was very pleased with the quality
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 03:12 PM

Top quality, too bad the shipping makes it so spendy.
Makes me wonder if a middle-ground solution might work--DON'T cram it into the smallest box possible like the cheap way, but a few(?) strategic folds of the ECS carpet to avoid the "oversized" shipping yet still lay much better than the small box way???

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 03:22 PM

My personal take on that is that you don't compromise quality to make things cost less, there's plenty of that out there already, mediocrity sucks!

Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 06:16 PM

So far I have ordered one ECS carpet and it is ABSOLUTELY the best. The service was awesome and the product was
as described. The expense was worth it as the carpet lay perfectly first shot. To me the extra work in installing
other carpets is much worse than the extra expense.
Jules

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 04/30/11 11:28 PM

Can't wait to try a column shift car with no console brackets to cut around...

I agree 110% that it layed down nice, but I couldn't see telling my customers that carpet cost $500

Most of my guys want cars done nice, but always seem to have a budget and not deeeep pockets...Maybe one of these days I'll get some guys with big bucks !

I like to restore cars for the "workin man"

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 01:13 AM

Quote:

but I couldn't see telling my customers that carpet cost $500

Most of my guys want cars done nice, but always seem to have a budget and not deeeep pockets...Maybe one of these days I'll get some guys with big bucks !

It sounds like your complaint should be with the shipping company. You called this vendor, they gave you a price, you relayed the pricing information to your customer, your customer accepted, you called the vendor back to place the order and now gripe about the choices you made? Nobody forced you or your customer to buy anything. The best advice here would be to get on a shipping forum and complain about how much they charge to send things from the US to Canada. Isn't that your real complaint?
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 01:13 AM

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 01:37 AM

I like to think of ALL of my customers as "working men" regardless of thier job descriptions, incomes, or budgets.

Posted By: chargervert

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 02:07 AM

That rug looks great Alan. I thought that 1970 4 speed B bodies that had Burnt Orange interiors,came with black carpet. I know that automatic cars had Burnt Orange carpets,but if I remember correctly 4 speeds had black rugs. Was that just Dodges,or were the Plymouth cars carpet black also?
Posted By: stateline

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 02:19 AM

Quote:

That rug looks great Alan. I thought that 1970 4 speed B bodies that had Burnt Orange interiors,came with black carpet. I know that automatic cars had Burnt Orange carpets,but if I remember correctly 4 speeds had black rugs. Was that just Dodges,or were the Plymouth cars carpet black also?

Yep , black is correct -- burnt orange looks alot better

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 02:49 AM

I agree, that burnt carpet looks awesome in there
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 02:57 AM

Quote:

I like to think of ALL of my customers as "working men" regardless of thier job descriptions, incomes, or budgets.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 03:07 AM

Quote:

Sorry, don't know how to answer that one...I have no knowledge of what colour the original carpet was in this car...

Also I've got nothing bad to say about ECS, this carpet, or even their shipping methods...This thread was to depict the experience I had installing my first ECS carpet.

Living in Canada and giving my opinion of the cost, is not a grip against ECS....

I simply think that the people I do work for are just as happy with the $180 carpets after they are installed.
I would hope that everybody wanted an ECS carpet, but it's hard to explain the extra cost once installed with the seats in place etc...

I don't know what they cost shipped inside the States, but I'm sure you guys can afford it

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 03:09 AM

Quote:

Just wait for the white seats
Posted By: Dodge

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 04:17 AM

Looks like $379 Shipped. I dug the Charger out today and just got back from a drive. Theres more areas that don't lay down than I thought. If I ever get around to putting a 4 speed in it, I will up for an ECS carpet.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 05:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just wait for the white seats

That burnt orange and white interior is one killer looking combo when done. Maybe my all time favorite 70 B body interior! I must say the Plymouth black & gold is also awesome as well.
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 02:49 PM

I almost bought carpet from ECS... but I'm glad I didn't. I know it would fit better out of the box, but really, double and triple the price is just not worth it to me. Mine has plenty of material up under the dash which was my main concern... and it lays down just fine.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 08:24 PM

Quote:

That burnt orange and white interior is one killer looking combo when done. Maybe my all time favorite 70 B body interior!

Posted By: Desmond

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 10:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry you are incorrect. That's an old Mopar wive's tale - transmission choice did not determine carpet color in a '70 GTX.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/01/11 10:44 PM

Here is a pic of the original seat belt anchor as removed from rusty floor of '70 hemi GTX - remnants of burnt orange carpet like this was all over the 4-speed car.

Attached picture 6612311-seatbelts011.jpg

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 01:07 AM

I've heard this argument about colour before...There has been documented cases I'm sure where cars got black carpets, but I'm certain it may have been a temporary shortage that cause the colour change....There is nothing documented and there seems to be no reason why the colour change. In fact it makes no sense at all.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 01:22 AM

Theres a lot to be said for Burnt Orange carpeted interiors . The more I mess with it, the more I like it.

Attached picture 6612628-4.23.16.JPG

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 02:01 AM

Quote:

Theres a lot to be said for Burnt Orange carpeted interiors . The more I mess with it, the more I like it.

Is that an ECS carpet as well ?? LOOKS FANTASTIC !
Posted By: stateline

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 03:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry you are incorrect. That's an old Mopar wive's tale - transmission choice did not determine carpet color in a '70 GTX.

Ask G.G. hes incorrect too
Posted By: rowin4

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 06:17 AM

I would look at it a little different on the cost of the carpet. I bought a 64 Pontiac Bonneville convertible that had all the body work done , new paint, all new rubber seals , new top and new cheep ass carpet. Every time I get in that car I wonder why the previous owner spent so much money on the rest of the car and bought what I think has to be the worst carpet ever made. It doesn't lay flat, no backing to it, you can almost see thru it. I was afraid to order something to replace it as I didn't know what was the best. Now I know , thank you.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that an ECS carpet as well ?? LOOKS FANTASTIC !

No, I was actually hoping it was. And with how well it fit combined with all the reviews the ECS product has received I thought it might have been,
But I asked and it's an ACC carpet.
As soon as the owner received it. He removed it from the box late last summer and it had been laying out flat in a heated basement for quite some time. To be honest i'm fairly certain that had something to do with how well it fit.
I've used ACC numerous times in the past and never had one lay out this good,. Plus it had all kinds of extra material along the sides and up under the dash. Again unlike anything I've used in the past
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 12:52 PM

Quote:

Yeap, the "norm" was all B-body 4-speed's in '70 with burnt orange interior "should" have black carpet. But, as with Des' car, there are exceptions to the rule, as always..

But, as you all have stated... the carpet looks GREAT !!!! Alan, did you just get? I thought the carpet was being discontinued? Guess I should shot Dave an email.....

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 01:33 PM

Heck no....I got this carpet last july/august sometime...

Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeap, the "norm" was all B-body 4-speed's in '70 with burnt orange interior "should" have black carpet. But, as with Des' car, there are exceptions to the rule, as always..

But, as you all have stated... the carpet looks GREAT !!!! Alan, did you just get? I thought the carpet was being discontinued? Guess I should shot Dave an email.....

Troy,
what do you mean the carpet is discontinued?
Posted By: MLR426

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 04:32 PM

Quote:

My personal take on that is that you don't compromise quality to make things cost less, there's plenty of that out there already, mediocrity sucks!

I couldn't agree more, the market is full of mediocre parts that don't fill my expectations. I expect to pay the extra if quality is given on the part thats why I had no issue at all when I bought the ECS carpet. In my opinion ECS was the right choice.

logan426
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Troy,

Thought I heard Dave was not selling them any more, but that was a "Through the grapevine" sort of thing... I just need to ask Dave directly.. I want to get a new carpet set for the Daytona.
Posted By: coffeeman383

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 06:21 PM

The carpet color discussion has been on this site before but never 100% rectified. From the Hamtramck Registry site the color trim selector says "Second color on carpet, instrument panel, steering wheel, and headlining" so a "white and burnt orange" interior should have orange....but from the Interior Color Accents page it should be "black carpet with 4-speed manual transmission". A handful of member chimed in either way and with color or black references beyond just burnt orange. My 70 RR 4-speed P6KW interior has black carpet (looking very original) since 1982 when I bought it. It was a September build car.

Here's the Hamtramck page (thanks Hamtramck Registry!)

Attached picture 6613942-70_Satellite0012.jpg

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 06:35 PM

Here's the Color Accents page...(from another member last go round...thanks other member!)

Attached picture 6613977-interiorcoloraccents.jpg
Posted By: Scottmon

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/02/11 06:58 PM

Wrong...my '70 Charger R/T 440-6 4 speed came with burnt orange carpet and it was most DEFINITELY original.

Quote:

Quote:

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ask G.G. hes incorrect too

Yeah, that's never happened.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

Here's the Color Accents page...(from another member last go round...thanks other member!)

Interesting, I've never seen that document before....

This is one of those circle arguments that no one can win. I'm certain that for every car equipped with a black carpet, there's one with on orange carpet...

Even after reading the above document, I still don't see the logic? What colour would the console be? What about the carpet on the console?

You're saying this car would have an orange dash, headliner, white seats, panels and a black carpet
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 01:51 AM

Black carpet is required with manual transmission except when you have a manual trans with console. All console equiped cars had color coordinated carpet. That orange carpet really looks good by the way! Likewise, a light green would look good in an F8 car or a dark blue in a B5 car but they didn't come that way with 4 on the floor.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 02:38 AM

I'm hearing what you're saying...I'm reading what was posted in the factory literature.....but I'm not getting it...Makes no sense to me
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 04:18 AM

Quote:

Black carpet is required with manual transmission except when you have a manual trans with console. All console equiped cars had color coordinated carpet. That orange carpet really looks good by the way! Likewise, a light green would look good in an F8 car or a dark blue in a B5 car but they didn't come that way with 4 on the floor.

.....black for bench seat pistol grip or 3 spd manual,....all console equipped car were colour matched carpet/console,......never seen a black console/carpet in a burnt orange or BO/Wht interior B body.....

mike

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 12:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.....black for bench seat pistol grip or 3 spd manual,....

I respectivly - Dis-Agree.

My former 1970 SuperBee was B5 exterior with B5 blue BENCH seat interior, 4 speed BLUE carpet . I'm pretty confident this 14K miles car was original carpet.( actually I'd guarentee it was)

Actually out of all the manual trans car I've owned( maybe 10 or so in the last 30 years) the only ones with black carpet were black interior.

I've seen enough colored interior manual trans cars with colored carpet to know this literature isn't 100% accurate

my opinion only of course.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 01:15 PM

The literature can't be 100% correct because it contridicts itself . It does seem there is something weird about the burnt orange interiors. And if there's a console it's always colored carpet. Seems odd it could be a parts shortage when they seemed to find enough orange carpet for console cars.

I agree it looks better in orange.

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/03/11 01:23 PM

Quote:

You're saying this car would have an orange dash, headliner, white seats, panels and a black carpet

My 70 RR convertible was exactly that way (except the headliner was sky blue ) when I bought it. But the little pieces of carpet stapled on the rear orange panels were orange which I think makes sense.

No pictures, I lost them all somewhere. And the RR is in 1 million pieces in storage
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/04/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

.....black for bench seat pistol grip or 3 spd manual,....

I respectivly - Dis-Agree.

My former 1970 SuperBee was B5 exterior with B5 blue BENCH seat interior, 4 speed BLUE carpet . I'm pretty confident this 14K miles car was original carpet.( actually I'd guarentee it was)

Actually out of all the manual trans car I've owned( maybe 10 or so in the last 30 years) the only ones with black carpet were black interior.

I've seen enough colored interior manual trans cars with colored carpet to know this literature isn't 100% accurate

my opinion only of course.

Only referencing BURNT ORANGE interior cars Bill

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/05/11 09:56 PM

quote]

Troy,

Thought I heard Dave was not selling them any more, but that was a "Through the grapevine" sort of thing... I just need to ask Dave directly.. I want to get a new carpet set for the Daytona.

Hi,

Just a quick note to everyone that carpet is alive and selling at ECS. In fact we have various bodystyles in stock at the shop. We usually have the following models in stock:

66-70 B Body auto and 4-speed

70 E Body - auto and 4-speed

71-74 E Body auto and 4-speed

We have some colors in each style but call Charlie to check and see what we have in stock at any given time. 1-855-532-7856 toll free

Price is $ 379.00 which includes shipping within the continental US

Points to remember on ECS Carpet:

- Carpet is received from the manufacturer and subsequently shipped to you always flat - carpet is never rolled which causes the molded backs to take on unnecessary bumps and contours.

- Carpet is the correct loop,and count for the respective vehicle

- Carpet has excess material ( at least 5 inches additional on the
sides) A common complaint with other carpets has been they are too
short

- Heel pad is always in the correct position for the body style

We have a special container that holds 24 carpets ( similar to the way they were handled in the plant ) which is shipped to the manufacturer, filled with carpet manufactured to our specifications then returned to our location. Depending on how many orders we receive depends on how often we place an order.

If we can help you with exacting carpet give us a call. We try to keep the price in a fair range considering the custom touches and handling . The oversize boxes and custom manufacturing specifications do add additional costs but are the only way to ensure you receive the carpet in an as manufactured condition which closely duplicates how they were handled by the assembly plants.

Call us if we can help.

Tom

Re: ECS Carpet Review - 05/05/11 10:47 PM

I spoke with Dave Walden the other day in great length, and one suggestion I had, once he told me about the large inventory of carpets, was to have them available for pick-up and major shows on pre-paid orders to avoid shipping.
He told me he tried that before with glass and it was nothing but a nuisance chasing people down at the show etc...and I can fully understand his point unfortunately.

So I've come up with another great idea....

Is there any major vendors that go to Carlisle or the Nationals that live close enough to ECS so they could pick up carpets and bring to to a show ?

Is there any major vendors out there willing to buy up ECS's carpet inventory and sell them at the major shows ? Great opportunity here guys ? Buy say 10 or 20 popular carpets and I bet you sell out buy Friday afternoon...

I know if I could buy them at Carlisle and avoid shipping of any kind, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

I have three vending spots if anybody wants to rent one
© 2024 Moparts Forums