Moparts

how to replace a missing fender tag

Posted By: docford

how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/22/11 08:46 PM

I just bought a 1970 Cuda convertible, that has undergone a complete restoration. Some little parts still need to be installed, but in total it is a real fine car that I plan to drive and enjoy driving.

The VIN is BS27H0B1540386

One of the tiny parts that is missing is the fender tag. How can I find out what this Cuda's fender tag should mention?
Is there a way to have a reproduction tag made that I could then screw in the correct place under the hood ?
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/22/11 09:07 PM

whoever painted the car probably has the tag in his tool box..is there a broadcast sheet? any prior owner history? find that original tag its still out there..contact barry washington at the T/A registry also dan
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/22/11 09:15 PM

Quote:

One of the tiny parts that is missing is the fender tag. How can I find out what this Cuda's fender tag should mention?
Is there a way to have a reproduction tag made that I could then screw in the correct place under the hood ?

Original fender tag for build/broadcast sheet are the only two ways. Other than that you're just guessing. Get in the back seat and see if you get lucky!
Posted By: anlauto

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/22/11 10:07 PM

Getting a new tag made is very simple. There are two reputable companies doing them. www.datatags.com and www.trimtags.com.

HOWEVER
Getting a correct tag made is 100% IMPOSSIBLE without the broadcast sheet or original fender tag. There are two bits of info on every tag that match the broadcast sheet and they are the scheduled build date and the vehicle order number.

If you don't have the original information, you can always have a little fun by getting a tag made that matches your car and just "make up" to two numbers mentioned above.
HOWEVER
Don't think that you'll be able to pass that tag off as original, because there are plenty of people who keep track of this type of info and will be able to tell if your numbers don't jive with the VIN sequence number
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/22/11 10:13 PM

What about on a 2-tag car? I have the first tag, but I'm missing the second. I have a copy of the broadcast sheet, though one of the codes on the sheet isn't legible. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Morty426

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/22/11 11:53 PM

Quote:

What about on a 2-tag car? I have the first tag, but I'm missing the second. I have a copy of the broadcast sheet, though one of the codes on the sheet isn't legible. Any suggestions?

Well that should be easy. AQll the critical stuff is on your first tag which should end with CTD.

You just need to figure out what else goes on there.

The Marti Report people also make tags and are very helpful. Cheap too.
Posted By: cudaized

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

I just bought a 1970 Cuda convertible...The VIN is BS27H0B1540386

I may be of assistance. I run the 1970-71 Plymouth and Dodge E-Body Convertible Registry. I have 102 BS27H0B cars on file.

I can compare the other cars to your V.I.N. Unfortunatly, I can not determine where your car fall into the sequence. You have typed 7 numbers after BS27H0B. What are the correct 6 digits?

I have assisted many people with a similar situation. Sometime we get lucky. I may already have your car in the Registry. Some cars were built in a run of several similarly optioned cars....

I will e-mail you. At the very least, I may be able to provide some guidance.

Ola Nilsson

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

I have many E-Body convertibles with two Data Plates in the Registry. I can provide many E-Body examples for you. 70 or 71? Hard top or convertible? Most of the two Data Plate cars have very little info on the second, such as this example. If you have a highly optioned car, I have seen up to 4 rows worth of codes on the second plate.

Please e-mail me. Maybe I can help you?

Ola Nilsson

cudaized@cudaized.com

Attached picture 6598001-2DataPlates.jpg

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 08:58 AM

thanks for your replies

Sorry for the typo in the vIN. The correct VIN is BS27H0B150386
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 04:11 PM

You can have a custom one made, here is an example;

Attached picture 6598767-rewardtag.JPG
Posted By: sixpack4spd

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 04:22 PM

The best way is to get in a time machine and go back to when the tag was removed and ask the guy for it.

FAKE TAGS SUCK. Why do you think you need one? Because a documented car is worth more. You may as well restamp the block and tell people it's numbers matching. While you're at it, claim it's original paint and park it in the survivors tent at Carlisle...

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 05:13 PM

Quote:

The best way is to get in a time machine and go back to when the tag was removed and ask the guy for it.

FAKE TAGS SUCK. Why do you think you need one? Because a documented car is worth more. You may as well restamp the block and tell people it's numbers matching. While you're at it, claim it's original paint and park it in the survivors tent at Carlisle...

My car is all #'s matching, and I have the broadcast sheet, as well as the first of the 2 fender tags. What could I possibly be trying to hide? Not that anyone cares about my car to begin with...

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 09:21 PM

so, I went out and took some pictures of my new ride today. It is a really neat Cuda.

Why do I want to put a fender tag under the hood ? For the same reason as I want to add the other parts like door ruber, trunklid torsion bar slides and all the other tiny bits that were forgotten at the end of the restoration.

BTW, the correct VIN is BS27H0B160386

You can see the pictures on my facebook account "Olympia Charger"
Posted By: ademon

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 09:41 PM

"One of the tiny parts that is missing is the fender tag" Thats one of the most important parts of the car!! Hope the person you purchased it from discounted the cuda accordingly for that very important tag.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 10:26 PM

Quote:

BTW, the correct VIN is BS27H0B160386

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 10:54 PM

Quote:

"One of the tiny parts that is missing is the fender tag" Thats one of the most important parts of the car!! Hope the person you purchased it from discounted the cuda accordingly for that very important tag.

I have no idea how much that should have been. It is a real BS27H0B. Now since I know the previous owner for years and also know the backgrounds, I feel that all options on the car are genuine.

It will probably make a difference wether the tag will be there or not the day that I intend to sell the Cuda. Haven driven it a 110 mph+ with the top down last night, I must say that me selling it is not likely to happen soon
Posted By: flypaper

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/23/11 11:30 PM

Quote:

looking for a fake tag = insecure of future roi
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 02:13 AM

Quote:

"One of the tiny parts that is missing is the fender tag" Thats one of the most important parts of the car!!

I always thought brakes,lights and horn were important...I guess flying through a red light at 50mph you could yell "I have an original fender tag!!!!
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 02:41 AM

not changing the subject,but wasn't there a time thiefs were steeling tags off mopars? i have my original tag hanging on my garage wall,it is paited same as body,just never put it back on.if my wife ever comes on here and says" my husband has died,where can i find a fender tag?" tell her it's on the peg board in the garage

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 03:14 AM

Quote:

not changing the subject,but wasn't there a time thiefs were steeling tags off mopars? i have my original tag hanging on my garage wall,it is paited same as body,just never put it back on.if my wife ever comes on here and says" my husband has died,where can i find a fender tag?" tell her it's on the peg board in the garage

Do us ALL a favor and throw it in the glove box...
Posted By: ademon

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 03:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"One of the tiny parts that is missing is the fender tag" Thats one of the most important parts of the car!!

I always thought brakes,lights and horn were important...I guess flying through a red light at 50mph you could yell "I have an original fender tag!!!!

You thought wrong

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You thought wrong

Posted By: Iceman01

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 05:41 AM

Hey Doc, in all fairness, it appears you have no idea what you stepped into by asking a replacement fender tag question. The mere idea is simply heresy to the wealthy purist collector, many of whom frequent this establishment along with their less-financially-well-off poser brethren.

Either way, your best bet is to back out and seek friendlier waters. You will find no refuge or assistance with fender tag questions here.

I'm sure I'll be vilified by some for being so blunt, but I hate to see innocent folks like yourself raked over the coals for other's merriment and delight.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 07:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is where I looked in the first place, as well as in the console storage box, but only an older registration an two insurance labels were there

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 08:04 AM

Quote:

Hey Doc, in all fairness, it appears you have no idea what you stepped into by asking a replacement fender tag question. The mere idea is simply heresy to the wealthy purist collector, many of whom frequent this establishment along with their less-financially-well-off poser brethren.

Either way, your best bet is to back out and seek friendlier waters. You will find no refuge or assistance with fender tag questions here.

I'm sure I'll be vilified by some for being so blunt, but I hate to see innocent folks like yourself raked over the coals for other's merriment and delight.

Iceman,

thanks for your kind and sound advice. I understand that some members here fear that I might add digits on a reproduction tag in order to enhance bragging rights at the local car show. That would be as fake as silicon boobs and inflated lips on a beautiful woman! I bought the Cuda because it is a cool looking convertible in pristine condition with a strong 340 and not because I wanted to play alphabet soup
Posted By: Furyman

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 01:03 PM

Just have a repro tag made to fill that empty spot.Then if the original tag ever appears just replace it.Any broadcast sheet ? What colour and options ? I'll start it for ya

... .... 000 A14
E55 D.. BS27 H0B 160386
Posted By: DartGTS

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 01:46 PM

Hello:
This is a good lesson to all, I don't recall how many times people have come to me saying I seen this car I want to buy, but the fender tag, broadcast sheet, orginal papers, etc is missing.
If the seller doesn't have proper documention walk away, because if he can't prove what he is selling why buy it? Unless you just can't live without that car and you buy it...then kick yourself in the ass when you try to prove to me what you have.
As far as i'm concerned fake tags and those who make them belong in prision along with the other swindlers.

Maynard

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 01:47 PM

99% of the customers I've done cars for seem to want something to fill the spot I've gotten a couple of them made now...Most interesting one was for a 440+6 74 Cuda...we used the owners birthday for the build date ...

Not everybody who has a tag made is out to defraud the world...or increase the value of their car

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 02:06 PM

Hello:
Case in point you can get what ever you want on a tag, how is this reputable?

Quote:

we used the owners birthday for the build date ...

Oh yeah by the way there is no such thig as a numbers matching 1967 Dart.

Maynard
Posted By: flypaper

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 02:31 PM

Quote:

Not everybody who has a tag made is out to defraud the world...or increase the value of their car

so we are just supposed to take people on
thier word on what thier intent is?
and not think that money is the motivating factor??

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

so we are just supposed to take people on
thier word on what thier intent is?
and not think that money is the motivating factor??

My motivating factor is that I want to satisfy my borderline OCD. It drives me nuts that the 2nd tag is missing.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 02:42 PM

If a person wants to purchase a car of any caliber BASED ON THE FENDER TAG ALONE then I think it's that person's sanity or motives that need to be questioned, not the person who has had the tag made...

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 02:46 PM

Quote:

Hello:
Case in point you can get what ever you want on a tag, how is this reputable?

Quote:

we used the owners birthday for the build date ...

I think you missed the point....They didn't exactly make a 1974 440+6 Cuda either, so the build date on the tag is irrelevant...The tag was made for fun not for profit as most people tend to think..Nobody said a reproduction tag has to be reputable.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 03:07 PM

Hello:

Quote:

Getting a new tag made is very simple. There are two reputable companies doing them. www.datatags.com and www.trimtags.com. (from anlauto)

Nope I did not miss the point. Like I said you can get one that says what you want. You just proved it.

Maynard

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 04:50 PM

Quote:

If a person wants to purchase a car of any caliber BASED ON THE FENDER TAG ALONE then I think it's that person's sanity or motives that need to be questioned, not the person who has had the tag made...

+1
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 04:53 PM

Also,it's not real smart to post a fender tag question on this forum!!

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 05:29 PM

Quote:

That is what Iceman also wrote (see further above). So I'll stop asking

Before leaving this thread, here are some pictures.

http://www.dasautoblog.com/2011/04/frischer-fisch-geht-oben-ohne-in-die-mopar-saison-2011.html

Thank you all for your replies. I'll now have a look under the back seat
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 05:33 PM

just find a trashed car with better options, make sure you can get the title, and swap the tag and VIN over.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 06:03 PM

Quote:

http://www.dasautoblog.com/2011/04/frischer-fisch-geht-oben-ohne-in-die-mopar-saison-2011.html

Ok Furyman, have at it....
I see:
FE5
White interior
Automatic
buckets
console
rally dash
dual painted mirrors
dual ainted bumpers

Quote:

FE5 H6XW 000 A14
E55 D32.. BS27 H0B 160386

Posted By: DPelletier

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

without commenting on the usual fake tag drama; the best thing to do with the fender tag is LEAVE IT ON THE CAR. Do what I did and put a blob of JB weld or something similar on the screw tip to prevent it from being unscrewed. Way too many well intentioned people have lost thier car's tags forever by putting them in "a safe place".

I also have numerous photos of the tag along with pencil rubbings that I keep at work so that if something ever happened to it, I would be able to have an ACCURATE reproduction tag made along with the PROOF to back it up.

Dave
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 06:26 PM

Here is one of my favorite Repoed Fender Tags

This guy's got class. (and a sense of humor)

Frank

[image][/image]
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 07:03 PM

Quote:

Here is one of my favorite Repoed Fender Tags

This guy's got class. (and a sense of humor)

Frank

[image][/image]

A shaker hood 318 Barracuda! Interesting. At least he made it a 4-speed!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/24/11 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

without commenting on the usual fake tag drama; the best thing to do with the fender tag is LEAVE IT ON THE CAR. Do what I did and put a blob of JB weld or something similar on the screw tip to prevent it from being unscrewed. Way too many well intentioned people have lost thier car's tags forever by putting them in "a safe place".

I also have numerous photos of the tag along with pencil rubbings that I keep at work so that if something ever happened to it, I would be able to have an ACCURATE reproduction tag made along with the PROOF to back it up.

Dave

Dave,I bet your accurate reproduction no matter what documentation you have would still be considered a fake rather than a reproduction by some.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/25/11 02:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

+1

+2
Posted By: rck850

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/25/11 08:15 PM

Couldn't the companies that make these reproduction tags use a laser machine to engrave the backside of the tag with "Reproduction"? That way any buyer would know it's not real and if someone were to remove the engraving they would destroy the tag.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 01:08 AM

Food for thought: where on the fender tag are markings denoting that it's a Chrysler tag?

IMHO the fender tag is just one piece of data that should be considered in making a car purchase. Build sheet, documentation, originality etc. should all play a role in the car's overall value.

The less of the above that's available, the lower the value of the vehicle.

Personally, I have no problem with either:

1. A correct reproduction of an original fender tag that is rusted or otherwise damaged. It goes without saying that no codes should be added/removed/modified. After all, why slap a ragged out tag on an otherwise pristinely restored vehicle?

2. A correct reproduction of a fender tag based on information found on the original broadcast sheet.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 02:26 AM

Well said and I agree.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 02:41 AM

Let me pose a question to anyone/everyone here. I have my fendertag, and Ive been restoring my car for 5 plus years now. Seems like Ive had the money, spent the money, had the money and so on. A couple of times I have thought I misplaced it. This despite being in my sock drawer right beside my bed. What if........

1. I had an additional tag made with my absolutely correct and original tag as reference and documentation?? Just asking now..

2. Or what if a person had a fender tag made with the word,clone, reproduction stamped on the front of the tag??

Where do these instances fit into the ethical, or moral standards of the hobby? Im sure there will be different answers here. A reproduction made from the original on file. And I mean if on file its on file etc with the ethics police here. I know people have gotten paranoid about others stealing or they themselves misplacing their fendertag.

Or if the wording shows reproduction/clone clearly shows no intent of deception, in fact shows otherwise.

My car is just a 383 car so its no high bred, high dollar car and Im glad I have my tag, but Lord help me if something should happen like my house burns down, or my wife gets aggressive and decides to spring clean my sock drawer, despite the title, the tag and other documentation is clearly marked IMPORTANT DO NOT THROW AWAY.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 05:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Dave,I bet your accurate reproduction no matter what documentation you have would still be considered a fake rather than a reproduction by some.

Undoubtably Bill, but I could live with that in the circumstances I've outlined!

Dave

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 06:04 PM

Quote:

Let me pose a question to anyone/everyone here. I have my fendertag, and Ive been restoring my car for 5 plus years now. Seems like Ive had the money, spent the money, had the money and so on. A couple of times I have thought I misplaced it. This despite being in my sock drawer right beside my bed. What if........

1. I had an additional tag made with my absolutely correct and original tag as reference and documentation?? Just asking now..

2. Or what if a person had a fender tag made with the word,clone, reproduction stamped on the front of the tag??

Where do these instances fit into the ethical, or moral standards of the hobby? Im sure there will be different answers here. A reproduction made from the original on file. And I mean if on file its on file etc with the ethics police here. I know people have gotten paranoid about others stealing or they themselves misplacing their fendertag.

Or if the wording shows reproduction/clone clearly shows no intent of deception, in fact shows otherwise.

My car is just a 383 car so its no high bred, high dollar car and Im glad I have my tag, but Lord help me if something should happen like my house burns down, or my wife gets aggressive and decides to spring clean my sock drawer, despite the title, the tag and other documentation is clearly marked IMPORTANT DO NOT THROW AWAY.

I wouldn't have a problem with either scenario but be aware that the correct "repro" tag will be vilified as a fake if you happen to lose the backup documentation. take good quality pics and a pencil rubbing of the original and store somewhere safe (preferrably off site - mine is in my office).

Personally, I wouldn't bother actually ordering a "repro" tag if I still had the original: it can always be done later if the unthinkable happens IF you have the documentation mentioned.

Dave
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 06:19 PM

Quote:

Or to post it along with posting the full VIN.

The good thing is the VIN is noted and the record will stand that this car did not, as of 04/2011, have it's original fendertag.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok Furyman, have at it....
I see:
FE5
White interior
Automatic
buckets
console
rally dash
dual painted mirrors
dual ainted bumpers

Quote:

FE5 H6XW 000 A14
E55 D32.. BS27 H0B 160386

How can you see all that AFTER the car has been restored ??? there is NO PROOF in that article to PROVE anything other than it's an E body .
Posted By: Birdturd

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 09:50 PM

Quote:

As far as i'm concerned fake tags and those who make them belong in prision along with the other swindlers.

Maynard

Some people might be lucky to have their tag, some may not. But if you bought any restoration parts for your car I guess it's a fake dart then to! To some its just another part of the car to do in the restoration. Unless you're going to buy it then leave it alone.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/26/11 11:05 PM

If that car is from near Portland Oregon/Vacouver Washington I've seen it in person ans have been all over it to check it out

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 01:30 AM

Yep, just verified it, same car I looked at. The previous owner was Chuck Shafer (RIP) Silver State Unlimitted Record Holder who bought it for his wife. She decided to sell it after he passed away. She said she had a friend in Europe who was very interested in buying the car but was also offering it word of mouth to a select few locals. I believe the asking price was around 40K, not a bad price since it's a fairly well detailed restoration, even without a fender tag. Regardless of the owners intentions or wishes, adding a tag won't change it's value any, unless solid original documention surfaces somewhere there will never be any way to prove it's original options or color combo. It will remain a " 1970 340 Cuda Convertible" period. Not such a bad thing but it will pale by comparison to it's fully documented numbers matching twin should it be sold later on.

Attached picture 6604683-70340ConvertibleCudaVIN.jpg

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 04:03 AM

Hello;
Well thats a new one "fake Dart". Lucky I'm not easily insulted...but I stand by my statements, I have no problem with tags marked as reproduction or as above clone. But tags made in such manner to duplicate orginal factory tags, in my opinion are a fruad. That tag was made as part of the legal as well as informational identity of the vechical..to adress the argument of replacing factory tag because of rust or other damage. I would think any show judge that is worth his salt would rather see the damaged one than a pretty piece of tin..and any buyer that would rather not have the orginal on his car is not worth wasting my time on.

Maynard
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 12:41 PM

Whose to say the numbers matching twin isn't aleady fake? Im just asking cause you can get build sheets, titles, fender tags and even a new e-body shell. If you gather all the pieces, and do it right, could you get away with it? Maybe even some in the registry?

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

If that car is from near Portland Oregon/Vacouver Washington I've seen it in person ans have been all over it to check it out

I'm happy to hear that such an expert as yourself has checked on it. I agree that it is amazingly detailled and a great restoration, like I only know from the pictures that I've seen in MOPAR Action. That is why I'd like to put a fender tag back in the original spot (same goes for the 'Cuda logo on the rear panel). That Cuda is so great that you immediatly see the missing tiny bits.

As for its value, I consider it already a huge honor to own two of the cars from Chuck Shafer's collection and I have no intention selling any of the two. My third Mopar is my homebuilt French/Belgian HEMI Clone (based on a BH23N0B). You can see it here:
http://camtecs.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451eb1c69e20147e36ad3a0970b-pi

What I'd love to do is to have a trailer hitch installed on the convertible to tow my racing Cuda. Are there period correct trailer hitch kits for 1970 E-bodies ?

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 06:30 PM

Quote:

Whose to say the numbers matching twin isn't aleady fake? Im just asking cause you can get build sheets, titles, fender tags and even a new e-body shell. If you gather all the pieces, and do it right, could you get away with it? Maybe even some in the registry?

No, you couldn't get away with it......well, perhaps you could fool some people, but not the experts. There are many people who can tell the difference between original and "reproduction" fender tags and broadcast sheets. Some fakes are better than others, but nobody can make perfect and undetectable fakes.

Dave
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, you couldn't get away with it......well, perhaps you could fool some people, but not the experts. There are many people who can tell the difference between original and "reproduction" fender tags and broadcast sheets. Some fakes are better than others, but nobody can make perfect and undetectable fakes.

Dave

The new body shells in particular have a long way to go before they could be confused with an original.

Tav

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

What I'd love to do is to have a trailer hitch installed on the convertible to tow my racing Cuda. Are there period correct trailer hitch kits for 1970 E-bodies ?

No kits that I'm aware of, but there have been several interesting threads in the past about the optional A35 Trailer Towing Package. If you look into it enough, I imagine something will turn up.

Tav

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 08:03 PM

Hello:

Quote:

<Ply64post> think you will find there are no legality issues with a replacement fender tag.If that were the case then your statement as to adding clone would be altering the original,hence you would be doing something illegal.

I stand corrected on that point, perhaaps I was in error LOL.( although the mere fact that it is breaking the law doesn't stop anyone from doing it.) As far as the Clone -Replacement thing goes I would like to see them identified as such so there could be no question on the correctness of the tag.
Lets face it most of the tag issues revolve around high dollar cars, it only makes sense that buyers and sellers know and are confident in what they are getting or have.
I think I'm done on this issue.....anyone else? LOL

Maynard

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 08:26 PM

Well I can say this with a fair amount of certainty. This particular car will always be known as a nicely restored car but one that does not have it's original broadcast sheet,fender tag, or any other factory documentation to back up it's current options. If it shows up for sale being represented as having the original of either (without solid proof that what is being represented is absalutely the original that has somehow been rediscovered) there are several people (self included) who will have history of it's past and lack of such. Of course if a future buyer were to not do his homework and investigate the cars past before buying it would be easy to get burned, that just makes it a buyer beware situation.

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 09:55 PM

Quote:

Well I can say this with a fair amount of certainty. This particular car will always be known as a nicely restored car but one that does not have it's original broadcast sheet,fender tag, or any other factory documentation to back up it's current options. If it shows up for sale being represented as having the original of either (without solid proof that what is being represented is absalutely the original that has somehow been rediscovered) there are several people (self included) who will have history of it's past and lack of such. Of course if a future buyer were to not do his homework and investigate the cars past before buying it would be easy to get burned, that just makes it a buyer beware situation.

Interesting statement, which leads me to think that many E-Bodies on the current market have been dressed up with options they did not have in the first place.

However, I do not really get the point about the value. Any BS27H0B is a 1 of 155 Plymouth Cuda 340 convertibles, which by Detroit production standards is ultra rare. So if this BS27H0B has a rallye cluster dash with a rimblow steering wheel and this other BS27H0B has a standard dash with a woodgrain steering wheel, what is the difference, since there are both 1 of 155 Cuda 340 convertibles ?

Personnally, I had a BP23C0B before, which has a rimblow steering wheel. I like it better than the woodgrain steering wheel that is in my current BS27H0B now. Will I swap steering wheels someday ? YES, if I can find a nice rimblow steering wheel at a swap meet or restoration dealer. Will I add that to the fender tag ? NO, since I'm not into this alphabet soup thing anyhow. Will I tell the next owner that the rimblow steering wheel was there from the start ? NO, because it would be as ridicoulous as telling him that the original air is still in the tyres

Now, if by any chance the fender tag and/or build sheet does show up someday, I'll post it here so we can all have a tiny bit more of MOPAR's great past history

Attached picture 6605977-BP23C0B178578fendertag.jpg
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/27/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here you go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Chal...es#ht_500wt_956

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here you go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Chal...es#ht_500wt_956

Wow..that's something you don't see every day

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 02:29 PM

Quote:

There were at least a couple different styles available from different manufacturers. Judging by the holes in my bumper, that looks like what would have been on my 70 Challenger.

Tav

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 02:45 PM

I don't have the #'s in front of me, but a 1970 slant 6 Gran Coupe is a pretty rare car also, isn't it?

Tav

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 03:08 PM

Quote:

I don't have the #'s in front of me, but a 1970 slant 6 Gran Coupe is a pretty rare car also, isn't it?

Tav

One of 182....At first I thought it was a convertible 1 of 12

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 03:39 PM

Quote:

At first I thought it was a convertible 1 of 12

Interesting enough, I have 3 out of those 12 registered.

Ola
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There were at least a couple different styles available from different manufacturers. Judging by the holes in my bumper, that looks like what would have been on my 70 Challenger.

Tav

I had a bumper from a parts car that I sent out and had plated. I didn't notice the extra holes from one of these ass'y trailer hitch packages, until it came back from the plater.
Bad day... lol
Posted By: m46rat

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 09:09 PM

Quote:

Tav

Look closely, E44 is a 318, it is a G not a C

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/28/11 10:52 PM

Nice catch
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/29/11 02:26 PM

Once you figure out what you want on the tag, I can make you one of these. Just print, cut out, and tape down.

Attached picture 6608350-A12_ftag._2jpg.jpg

Re: how to replace a missing fender tag - 04/29/11 02:51 PM

Quote:

Once you figure out what you want on the tag, I can make you one of these. Just print, cut out, and tape down.

© 2024 Moparts Forums