Moparts

70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing?

Posted By: sixpaktoogo

70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 04:27 PM

My 70 Cuda came with body side moldings. Can't decide if I want to put them on, put on hockey stripes, or have nothing. What do you guys think?
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 04:35 PM

V5X all the way Dan! You already have the EK2 V6X 'Cuda
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 04:52 PM

Make it a SLEEPER!
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 04:54 PM

What color is your car? Interior? Side trim?
Posted By: Morty6pack

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 05:00 PM

If you get voted down on the body side mouldings, I will buy them from you! My Cuda is supposed to have them, but they were missing. Oh, I vote for the Hockey Sticks!!!

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

What color is your car? Interior? Side trim?

B5 Blue with black interior and side moldings. No vinyl top.

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 05:52 PM

Leave off the trim and the stripe.
Posted By: timewarp

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 03/31/11 09:11 PM

I'd love to have a set of the body side moldings for my Cuda.I offered up 2K for a NOS set a few years back and had no bites.
Posted By: RV2

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 03:35 AM

I need a left rear section in black!
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 03:50 AM

Your car would have has the side moldings with the surround stripes, just in case you did not know.

I voted to put them back, most folks remove them so they are a very scarce sight today. I love them myself.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 04:30 AM

B5/black interior/no vinyl,..I think would look sharp with a pair of WHITE hockey sticks, esp if equipped with a shaker hood/argent bubble/rallye wheels,...rubber bumpers?

Attached picture 6561576-cuda.jpg

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 06:05 AM

Quote:

V5X all the way Dan! You already have the EK2 V6X 'Cuda

James, I think you are 100% correct. I just wish I hadn't sold the set I had two years ago, to Ted Stephens!
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 04:23 PM

I have a black car 1970 that came with white interior. It also had white side moulding. The side mouldings completely ruined the lines of the car and just looked bad. The functionality of them for helping reduce door dings was great though.

Had they been black, it would have been something I can live with. They are long gone, as is the white interior. I like a white interior, but finding clean white door panels was an issue when I picked up the black interior. Besides, I can't keep white clean enough for my tastes.

Some day when it's time to bring the car back to original and make it a trailer queen. I will have to put that ugly white strip back on. I may swap back over to white interior in the next few years and try to live a clean life when driving it.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 04:25 PM

Nothing or the hockey stripe (though they're overdone). The moulding just looks bad IMO.

Dave
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 04:27 PM

If your not going to put the mldgs back on ( my personal vote )

Leave everything else off of it.
Posted By: FC7AARcuda

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 06:54 PM

If it was my car, it would get a strobe stripe (non-AAR version). I don't remember the trim code but they look great and you rarely see them.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/01/11 07:00 PM

Id leave the moldings on. unusual cars always draw my attention over the same ol' same ol' high impact, striped out cars. just my
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/02/11 12:41 AM

Quote:

If it was my car, it would get a strobe stripe (non-AAR version). I don't remember the trim code but they look great and you rarely see them.

V4 and whatever color......... Good choice!

Attached picture 6562959-strobestripe.jpg

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/02/11 02:29 PM

Quote:

I have a black car 1970 that came with white interior. It also had white side moulding. The side mouldings completely ruined the lines of the car and just looked bad. The functionality of them for helping reduce door dings was great though.

In that case, I'd suggest to leave the moldings. If the stripes make the car stand out, I think the molding doesn't look as ugly as it may.

But blue with black molding? It looks like an afterthought. If he leaves it off, he can always put it on later especially since finding good trim is difficult. Putting a hockey stick stripe is lowest common denominator thinking in my eyes. The strobe stripe is another idea, as someone mentioned.

Regarding ruining the lines of the car, I don't really understand considering the Barracuda's character line is completely horizontal, which is where the molding is.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/02/11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Regarding ruining the lines of the car, I don't really understand considering the Barracuda's character line is completely horizontal, which is where the molding is.

Oh no, it was ugly. I have an old picture of it, but I need to have scanned to put on the computer. Like a beautiful woman, Barracuda's have compound curves and a quarter panel that looks like muscled haunches of a beast ready to leap. That horizontal stipe just breaks up the visual flow of the whole car. It's like drapeing a mumu on a woman with a bikini.

Attached picture 6563958-0113111330(Large).jpg
Posted By: 70B5Vert

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/03/11 03:35 AM

My covertible is coded for them.
in 82 the second owner had the car repainted and "upgraded" to an
aluminum and rubber molding that was RIVITED on!

UGH!!! 45 holes to weld up.

I'm replacing with a Black Hockey stripe.

Attached picture 6565102-PICT3442.JPG
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/03/11 05:03 PM

Side moldings on Cudas are SO ugly. They just destroy the natural flow of the body lines. My car had them originally.

Asking for people's opinions on your car yields distorted results. The answers they give are what they'd like to SEE on someone else's car. After looking at these cars for so many years, sure, its neat to see differently equipped cars... but there's a reason some options are rarely seen... they're ugly! I can't stand it when people talk like high impact colors and shaker hoods are SO boring... No they're not! If you take a step back from the "too close" vantage point, they are STILL AWESOME.

My vote is the hockey stripe. Because yes, hockey stripes are STILL COOL! Side moldings suck.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/05/11 05:18 PM

I agree, leave ugly moldings off, depending on what look you're going for,AAR strobe stripe can look good on certain color combo
Posted By: m46rat

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/05/11 05:51 PM

This is the RESTORATION forum, not the question and answer forum. Obviously it must be the body side mouldings, or this thread should be moved to the question and answer forum. My
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/05/11 05:55 PM

Quote:

Side moldings on Cudas are SO ugly. They just destroy the natural flow of the body lines. My car had them originally.

Asking for people's opinions on your car yields distorted results. The answers they give are what they'd like to SEE on someone else's car. After looking at these cars for so many years, sure, its neat to see differently equipped cars... but there's a reason some options are rarely seen... they're ugly! I can't stand it when people talk like high impact colors and shaker hoods are SO boring... No they're not! If you take a step back from the "too close" vantage point, they are STILL AWESOME.

My vote is the hockey stripe. Because yes, hockey stripes are STILL COOL! Side moldings suck.

Steve,

Interesting post. I think you're right; many of us that have attended a million car shows get jaded by seeing all the rare, hi impact, shaker equipped muscle and actually enjoy seeing something oddball like /6's, 318's, whitewalls and body side mouldings.....I'm certainly guilty of it. BUT I also try to always remember when I look at a Hemi, 6 pack or LS6 that these cars are very rare and SPECIAL despite them being the subject of 90% of the magazine articles.

People advise a guy to leave his /6 car a /6 car because you don't see them very often, but I wonder if that's because THEY don't own it or have to drive it. I applaud those that do restore their stock low performance rides as it really IS interesting......but I don't necessarly want to own or drive one myself.

I suppose it's like doctors and nurses; it's hard to believe they don't get upset by some of the things they see, but when they see the same stuff day in and day out, the mind's response is to make it mundane to some degree.

I hear what you're saying and agree........though I find myself lusting after a set of original wheels, full wheel covers and whitewalls for my 'Bee......not sure I could leave them on often though!

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/05/11 10:03 PM

Dave- EXACTLY.

But I do agree... If the question is posed in the resto forum, the only right answer can be 'build it to the build sheet'.

I'm glad I didn't listen to my build sheet.
Posted By: Purestocker

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/14/11 09:41 AM

leave the moldings with the car even if you do not put them on, My yellow 6 pack car had them and I was fine with it, no door dings and original paint, (that car is on ebay now) take a look.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/14/11 03:19 PM

I don't know, people always liked them on my FK5 'Cuda...

Attached picture 6584591-BS23V0B179158emma2.jpg

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/14/11 05:17 PM

I ended up putting them on, and I'm glad I did. They were a BIG hit at the MATS this past weekend. I ended up winning "1st Place E Body Stock Judged", as well as "Best of Show E Body Stock".

Thanks to all who gave their input, and especially to James Tait for his help with photos of his Cuda.

Attached picture 6584709-HPIM3538.JPG

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/14/11 05:20 PM

Another

Attached picture 6584714-HPIM3537.JPG
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/14/11 05:41 PM

I voted to put them on. I'm glad you did...they look great!!!
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/14/11 05:56 PM

Lookin' Good!!

Interesting how the poll is similar to the original '70 'Cuda (US) numbers, factor in the cost (in '70 $$) & I'd bet "nothing" would be a little more popular.

'70 'Cuda
nothing - STD ~ 40%
V50 - body side mouldings - $25.90 - 19.9% (5 colors available)
V6X - SPORT stripe - $25.90 - 23.8%
V6H - SPORT stripe (AAR) - STD w/A53 - 16.3%
V40 - WIDE side stripe - $25.90 - ??% (4 colors available)

Attached picture 6584764-moparts-V5X.jpg

Re: 70 Cuda - Side Moldings, Hockey Stripe, or Nothing? - 04/16/11 05:47 AM

That's a pretty car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums