Moparts

wiring harness questions

Posted By: Crock

wiring harness questions - 02/27/11 05:13 PM

I have a 66 Belvedere with the original wiring harness. I have had problems with the head lights, dome lights, tail lights, wipers, instrument panel. Just problem sometime shake a wire and fix it something more. Well my question is which is better year one original harness or painless performance harness.? The car is not original its a restomod I have a 6.1 hemi installed, 727 torqueflight trans, custom stereo system, 140 amp alternate. All help welcome.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: wiring harness questions - 02/27/11 05:26 PM

YO is $$$ but will connect right up , Painless will be less painful to your wallet but require work to install , probably not a plug and play like the YO harness will be .
Posted By: cloneguy

Re: wiring harness questions - 02/27/11 06:05 PM

I've had nothing but problems with YO harnesses. They are cheaply made and the pins break easily. They also don't fit right in. The ones I worked with had plugs that fit way too tightly for the cheap pins to go in without breaking. They might be fine if you redo the whole car but if most of your harnesses are factory and you try to add the YO, in my experience, you'll regret it.

Painless harnesses are a HUGE pain. You have to wire the whole thing yourself. They label the wires but there is effectively no harness. You can save a ton of money by just getting rolls of colored wire if you want to do it that way.

Call Bill Evans at 814-864-2622. He makes his own and gets my highest recommendation.
Posted By: PAULS_340

Re: wiring harness questions - 02/27/11 11:30 PM

Spoke to Mr Evans two weeks ago at the Mopar Swap in michigan and he does not make a Main Wire Harness. I have replaced all my harnesses except the main ($$$$) with the YO and have had zero issues
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: wiring harness questions - 02/28/11 06:14 AM

Quote:

Call Bill Evans at 814-864-2622. He makes his own and gets my highest recommendation.

i had nothing but problems with the engine and wiper harness i bought from evans. total garbage. some wires were on the short side and it had bad crimps all over it. i'll never buy from them again. there was a thread a while back about other members having problems with the evans junk also..

not the thread i was looking for but a couple guys here had the same crimp problems: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...page=0&vc=1

i heard way too many guys that has issues with the painless kits. a bunch of guys here and at other forums. i went with the american auto wire highway 22 kit. real nice kit. was relatively easy to install. time consuming but straight forward install. i'm very happy with it. http://www.americanautowire.com/highway.html
Posted By: jbc426

Re: wiring harness questions - 02/28/11 06:45 AM

The problem your trying to fix is two fold. First, your old wiring has connection and continuity problems. If the car was all stock electrically, a Year One harness might be a good start for a solution, but you still need to deal with the low amperage alternator output at idle issue, the amp gauge issue and the bulkhead connector issues that are inherant with Mopars.

Second, you've added significant additional electrical loads and put in a high-output alternator. You need to be wise when incorporating those add-ons into a well-sorted out "stock" electrical system that has had the above mentioned upgrades performed. They need to draw power from the correct location in your electrical system in order to not cause problems.

You can get away with piece mealing and adding on to the system as you go and hoping for the best, or do it right all in one shot from the ground up.

Attached picture 6501070-IMG_1351(Large).JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums