Moparts

a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/19/11 11:18 PM

So I have all these bead blasted,freshly painted bolts for putting together my superbee. How do you keep from guffing up the paint on them? So what are your secrets to acheaving this? This is my first total resto of a car and I want it to look great and something I can be totally proud of......any tips
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/19/11 11:21 PM

Not a Guru but - Easy - Put them on before you paint..........

Oh, too late?

You should strip them again, install and hit them with a jamb gun maybe.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/19/11 11:35 PM

I have heard of putting electrical tape or similar inside the sockets. Not sure how good it works but might be worth a try.
Posted By: topside

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/19/11 11:41 PM

Some of the bolts (fenders & hinges, for example) are attached before painting, so they're painted at the same time as the panels if you're painting the car similar to the factory method. For the bolts that you paint and then install later, depending on size/fastener torque, masking tape around the hex, or plastic inserts in the tool socket, work pretty well. Invariably some get touched up. I always make sure I have more than enough fasteners as spares, in case one gets garfed more than I want to touch up.
Posted By: ChickMaggot

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 01:15 AM

These might work.

Maggot
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 01:52 AM

Quote:

These might work.

Maggot

Not only would they work they'd keep you from scratching your nuts too.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 02:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

These might work.

Maggot

No more embarrassment for my wife!
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

These might work.

Maggot

We're guys. That's what we do...
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 07:43 AM

I bought a set from snap on a few years ago that were regular sixe sockets with plastic inserts. Worked ok until I needed to tighted the bolts down. The inserts just started rounding out. I would guess that those others listed would do the same. I just touch them up after words. Hate to but like others say paint assembled to avoid.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 07:47 AM

Quote:

Not a Guru but - Easy - Put them on before you paint..........

Oh, too late?

You should strip them again, install and hit them with a jamb gun maybe.

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 07:57 AM

The reason I cannot paint the bolts while it is assembled is I have almost every piece under the car, other then bolts powder coated and I really do not want to get overspray on my freshly done parts. I will try the electrical tape but of it comes down to it I will just touch them up with a little brush.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 05:10 PM

On two cars that I partially restored I just wrapped the heads with pieces of paper towel, didnt know about the plastic inserts at the time. I know how backyard the paper towel deal is but my paint stayed in perfect condition throughout the assembly process.
Posted By: SportF

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 11:35 PM

I have played this game a couple of times and I believe the best way to do it is to prime your bolts lightly and either put one light coat of paint on them or none at all. After install, touch them up with a small brush with un-thinned paint. If you fully paint them that paint will chip or curl up and then you have that problem. Fully painted bolts are also larger and don't want to fit in any socket. Touching them up with a brush won't really show due to the finish and contour of the bolt heads.

Attached picture 6486583-GetAttachment.jpg
Posted By: ECS

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/20/11 11:48 PM

Quote:

The reason I cannot paint the bolts while it is assembled is I have almost every piece under the car, other then bolts powder coated and I really do not want to get overspray on my freshly done parts. I will try the electrical tape but of it comes down to it I will just touch them up with a little brush.

Use an Airbrush for your fine painting details/touchups. You can literally paint a "pencil" line and never see where the old paint starts and the new paint stops. The Airbrush can spray a pattern so nice that the bolt heads will look as if the paint is bleeding from their surface. It is probably one of (if not) the most important detailing tools to finish those hard to reach "touch ups" and not get ANY over-spray on your surrounding parts. You can set the spray so fine that you can't see the paint leaving the nozzle tip. Once you use an Airbrush, you will wonder how you ever got along without one!
Posted By: anlauto

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 12:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Use an Airbrush for your fine painting details/touchups. You can literally paint a "pencil" line and never see where the old paint starts and the new paint stops. The Airbrush can spray a pattern so nice that the bolt heads will look as if the paint is bleeding from their surface. It is probably one of (if not) the most important detailing tools to finish those hard to reach "touch ups" and not get ANY over-spray on your surrounding parts. You can set the spray so fine that you can't see the paint leaving the nozzle tip. Once you use an Airbrush, you will wonder how you ever got along without one!

Is that what they did on the assembly line, before delivering the cars new ?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

Only if there's a Y91 on the BS
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 01:45 AM

Only if there's a Y91 on the BS

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 02:35 AM

Quote:

Are you serious Alan? Please tell me you are not going to start nit picking the restoration processes that I use in contrast with yours or anybody else out there. Nowhere have I ever claimed that we restore vehicles using "exact" factory procedures. Restorers are basically illusionist who try to emulate the characteristics of a factory built vehicle! Did you really think that my cars were restored on an assembly line like they originally were built by the Factory? Wow!!!! Thanks for the tremendous compliment Alan.
Posted By: DodgeMaterial

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 02:54 AM

Dave - You blew it (as in muffler water!) Now you will have to admit all the things we did that were not like the assembly plant... like using hand tools instead of pneumatic tools, taking our time (18 months) instead of 18 hours...etc. Way to go!

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 03:22 AM

Quote:

Dave - You blew it (as in muffler water!) Now you will have to admit all the things we did that were not like the assembly plant... like using hand tools instead of pneumatic tools, taking our time (18 months) instead of 18 hours...etc. Way to go!

You ought to go back and look at some of the hilarious comments that people have made in an attempt to debunk what we did! The angle that Steve spray painted the starter was wrong! We used an airbrush to help make painted parts look new again instead of leaving them damaged looking. Don't forget the one about the alternator being restored "incorrectly" even though that is how we documented it!

Dave, are we the only restoration guys that had to touch up mishaps that occurred during the assembly process? Either some of these guys have access to factory equipment that we were not privileged to use during our restorations, or they don't realize that every insult simply exposes their own hypocrisy! Maybe Alan will let us use his overhead conveyor with the 250 foot dip tank for dipping the body or let us have access to his assembly line pit for installing the engine or the paint booth and baking oven just like Hamtramck used or the robotics used to help install the Dash...........
Posted By: DodgeMaterial

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 03:57 AM

Dave, properly restoring a car using common tools and everyday equipment is what inspires awe. If someone had the plant with all of the equipment (dip tank, etc) to build a car it would just be a new car. What you have done with your restorations is really artwork. Accomplishing what the factory did with thousands of people, millions in facility and equipment - with 4 guys in a garage is what people marvel at. Getting those drips on the bottom of the car, or the dip lines on the inside of the quarters is easy with that factory tank...but not so easy to do in a shop or garage. I think everyone on this forum wants to learn how to create that illusion of "factory fresh" without the factory! Using the airbrush to perfect the appearance of an assembly line install is a great example. Keep sharing!
Posted By: anlauto

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 04:34 AM

It was a joke guys....Somebody has to lighten the mood around here....

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 04:39 AM

Quote:

It was a joke....

.....as was our comments of course!
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: a question for the moparts resto gurus on bolts - 02/21/11 06:36 PM

To gget back to the orig post, what I have done is very easy. I paint the bolts with very lil primer than spray them body color but keeping the build up of color very low than let them dry for a few days. When I install them I use a plastic ziplock bag and cut a square 1"x1" of plastic to use as a liner for the socket . You need a new liner for every bolt but this has worked many times for me and cost next to nothing. Dave has the best idea if you have a airbrush but if you dont try my trick.
© 2024 Moparts Forums