Moparts

New POLYGLASS TIRES

Posted By: 70RR383

New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 12:14 AM

My friend wants to buy 4 new g-60-15 tires and 4 15x8 magnum 500s,whats the best deal???Thanks
Posted By: anlauto

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 12:38 AM

For the tires you should go directly to Kelsey Tire, or try using member SmallHurst here on Moparts....
Not sure about the rims

I just had these arrive today

Attached picture 6470470-Wheels.JPG
Posted By: domingo

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 01:47 AM

I love the looks of the original tires, but they are RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!!!

Maybe someday when all my cars are done and I have nowhere else to spend the money!!!

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 01:58 AM

Quote:

I love the looks of the original tires, but they are RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!!!

Noooooo...The four tires in the above picture only cost me $1393.38 shipped to my door
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 04:06 AM

I just got some from Small Hurst and I figure it saved me 10% over buying them elsewhere. I got them within a few days of sending payment. It was a pleasure dealing with Rusty.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 04:40 AM

Polyglas aren't a luxury - they are a must...

On a proper resto anyway. Or, we can save a few pennies and slap on some Radial T/A's and
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 06:35 AM

Quote:

Polyglas aren't a luxury - they are a must...

On a proper resto anyway. Or, we can save a few pennies and slap on some Radial T/A's and

The Goodyears look GREAT! but ride like (@#$&). The T/A's ride SO MUCH nicer & at this point are pretty much accepted as next to OEM especially if your going to be doing any amount of driving out there in the CRAZY traffic today.

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 03:19 PM

I respectfully disagree - The Polyglas ride great on all my cars and all my friends cars that have them.

The only ones that don't ride so great are the (40+ year old) original tires on a manual steering car on a rutty street.

Radial T/A's accepted as next to OEM? By who? At Barrett this year even a "non-anal" guy commented that nothing looks worse than slapping T/A's on a restored car.

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 03:42 PM

Mr.Fish....you're just wasting your time trying to explain it to some people....
I too , have driven my cars with nothing but PolyGlas tires ever since my Duster Twister back in 1994...
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the way they drive...in fact I find they hook up like crazy compared to customer's cars that run radials...

As for this comment "Radial T/A's accepted as next to OEM" ...I'm not sure where anybody came up with that idea...if fact I've always thought the opposite....If the original manufacture was GoodYear then you should at least run a GoddYear radial.....
Posted By: domingo

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 03:48 PM

The original POLYs beat the crap out of the TAs hands down...at least for me. Original or not, the sqared off look of the polys and their unique tread pattern is what looks right on these cars!!! period!!!

However I am gonna use Radial TAs on some of my cars in the meantime, they are a lot cheaper and they dont look bad at all IMO. Not quite as good as polys though.

After all its something you can upgrade to later on easily. I wouldnt want to cut corners though on other areas where you cant go back later on...so Ill leave the tires for later!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 03:52 PM

Quote:

I respectfully disagree - The Polyglas ride great on all my cars and all my friends cars that have them.

The only ones that don't ride so great are the (40+ year old) original tires on a manual steering car on a rutty street.

Radial T/A's accepted as next to OEM? By who? At Barrett this year even a "non-anal" guy commented that nothing looks worse than slapping T/A's on a restored car.

I have to agree with Kidmopar,...I grew up driving on belted/ply tires, that's all "we" had,...when radials came out, most wanted nothing to do with them,..but as the belted tire went the way of the dinosaur, we were forced into radials,..early radials were too mushy compared to the old stiff sidewall belted/ply tires of the day,...but the radial evolved into a superior tire,....with the release of the Polyglas repro tires, one was soon reminded how these tires behaved on various road conditions!.....I remember the first set of F-60-15 Goodyear Polyglas repros I bolt-on around 2004, went for a ride in my Daytona,...then met up with a 69 Camaro out for a cruise, so of course a street race breaks out .....when I planted 3rd gear and the 6 pak came "on board"!.... broke traction and the rear end came around to the point that I was across both lanes sideways at full throttle ....left the Camaro in a cloud of rubber, won the race, but man those tires are stricly for show, even cheesy BFG's will out brake, out corner,out hook a set of Polyglas tires....I usually run Goodyear Eagle GT II's for "regular" driving of the toys, the Polyglas's only get bolted on for shows/pics
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 04:18 PM

Quote:

I just got some from Small Hurst and I figure it saved me 10% over buying them elsewhere. I got them within a few days of sending payment. It was a pleasure dealing with Rusty.

Posted By: ph23vo

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 04:59 PM

even cheesy BFG's will out brake, out corner,out hook a set of Polyglas tires..

ask the FAST guys about that...
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 05:55 PM

Call Rusty and save a few bucks

Poly tires look right on the cars and hook up pretty good but otherwise they suck. New cars don't have them so what does that tell you?

All what you are into I guess, to each his own.
Posted By: ehbody

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 07:02 PM

I have a question. Do you need tubes with the polyglass.
I remember Bias Ply on my duster, and It went thru alot of tubes cornering.

Quote:

I think the RadialsT/A at one point were the only main stream tires available. I remember Goodyear stopped making the ST,for my AAR I could not find a replacement set with stagger except Radial T/A.
Now that situation has changed, but at a certain time for driver cars...
Posted By: el hemi

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 07:37 PM

I swaped tires last year. Luv the look. TA's are now on display in the garage. Guys in FAST are running 9's w these tires!!

TA's

TA's in the GARAGE!
Posted By: Quicksmopars

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 07:39 PM

I pretty much accept BFGs to be acceptable on musclecars. They perform well and look good. It's when people put the "Winston Winners" or "Dean Quasars" on otherwise nicely restored cars is what irritates me.
Posted By: SmallHurst

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 09:54 PM

Quote:

I have a question. Do you need tubes with the polyglass.
I remember Bias Ply on my duster, and It went thru alot of tubes cornering.

Quote:

I think the RadialsT/A at one point were the only main stream tires available. I remember Goodyear stopped making the ST,for my AAR I could not find a replacement set with stagger except Radial T/A.
Now that situation has changed, but at a certain time for driver cars...

No, Polyglas do not need tubes.

Thank you for the kind words!! I try to make everyone I deal with happy they came to me.

In doing this as a hobby, I have really started to watch and see what the cars are wearing for tires. To me, its like wearing tennis shoes with a tuxedo if you don't have the right tires on. I know of several friends that drive their car with Polyglas on, and I don't mean down to the local Ice Cream social!!!! On friend has driven from Chicago to the Grand Canyon and back. Yes, they handle different than radials, but I look at my car as a throwback machine. Thin steering wheel, a motor you can hear, a good exhaust, and paying attention to the road!!!!
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/12/11 10:52 PM

Hmm, i think they made these wheel wells pretty big. Little tires doesn't look right, makes it look puny.

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 12:52 AM

Thats what L60-15's are for!!!!!!
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 01:11 AM

Quote:

Hmm, i think they made these wheel wells pretty big. Little tires doesn't look right, makes it look puny.

Sorry to be OT - 68killerbee - your Bee kills me ! That is one awesome Bee ! Love the stripe delete and OE hood, my first car was a 69 383 Bee with stock hood and stripe delete, F8, black bee, bench column shift - MISS IT !
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 01:19 AM

Ive got both goodyear polyglas f70 14 on 14x6 steel wheels as called for on the BC sheet and a set of BFG T/As on 15x7 ralleys I like the way the goodyears ride and look but the F70 14 are very small on a 70 cuda
just sayin

Attached picture 6472148-steel.jpg
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

For the tires you should go directly to Kelsey Tire, or try using member SmallHurst here on Moparts....
Not sure about the rims

are those goin on a T/A ??
just askin
Posted By: fig426

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 01:54 AM

Here are my Polys on my 4 speed T/A at Carlisle. Lots of fun!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htr1dfUaXOY

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure about the rims

are those goin on a T/A ??
just askin

Yes...NEXT week...Watch for updates
Posted By: 71TA

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 06:32 AM

I LOVE those Polyglass tires. They are the BEST looking tires on our old Mopars hands down. BUT I actually remember how badly they drove. Was it just my low b udget cars back in the day or were/are they that bad?

I don't drive my Challenger much and would like to put a set on my steelies.

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 03:18 PM

Remembering that they didn't drive so well when you were a kid? If your tires were worn, your alignment and/or steering had loose/worn components they drove not great. Throw on manual steering and it amplifies the problem.

But then again, the same could be said for any kind of tire under those conditions.

When we were underfunded youngsters we had to decide whether our limited funds went to headers, beer, women, insurance.....maintenance items were last on the list!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 03:27 PM

Since the early 70's I drive on Goodyear polyglass tires. Never tried anything else to compare on a muscle car.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 03:27 PM

Quote:

Remembering that they didn't drive so well when you were a kid? If your tires were worn, your alignment and/or steering had loose/worn components they drove not great. Throw on manual steering and it amplifies the problem.

But then again, the same could be said for any kind of tire under those conditions.

When we were underfunded youngsters we had to decide whether our limited funds went to headers, beer, women, insurance.....maintenance items were last on the list!

well put .

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/13/11 03:57 PM

...nudder thing.....I want my muscle car to ride and feel like a muscle car, if I wanted a "cushy radial ride" I'll drive my truck !
Posted By: Purestocker

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/16/11 03:42 PM

even cheesy BFG's will out brake, out corner,out hook a set of Polyglas tires..

ask the FAST guys about that...

________________________________________________________________________ You would need 2 foot wide TA's to out hook a polyglass tire. been there done that. on my 6 pack cuda 1.8 sec. 60 ft with poly's 2.1 sec with TA's. the polyglass tires do take a little ride out of the car, it does suffer in the curves a little. but the bennies out weigh the $$$$ when you stand back and take a look at your car, it is the cherry on the sunday, buy a set you won't regret it.
Posted By: wvmarv

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/17/11 05:00 PM

Quote:

My friend wants to buy 4 new g-60-15 tires and 4 15x8 magnum 500s,whats the best deal???Thanks [/quote

The only thing I know about Goodyear was they were out of my price range in the mid to late 70's. I always went with Kelley Super Chargers. Think I paid like 7 or 8 bucks a piece for them at a parts store called Nationwise. At the age of 17 or 18 I could roast a set and afford to buy more. Those were the days. I think the BFG TAs look good on my driver.

Attached picture 6480801-Picture118.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/19/11 02:01 AM

I have mopar blood in my veins but i did own a 70-1/2 Z28 camaro. It would kill the polyglass tires in 3500 miles, went thru two sets and then put a set T/A radials on (1972)went 57000 miles before they wore out, still had the second set on when i sold the car in 1975 at 105000 miles. they were cheep too $43.00 a tire compared to $54.00 for the polys. these T/As would hook on snot,better than the polys back in the day. the new polys might be a different compound now, haven't bought a set since 71.I have to buy a set of Good Year white walls for my 69 440 cuda so i guess i'll find out soon enough.

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/19/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

the new polys might be a different compound now, haven't bought a set since 71

If they are?, the new repros still feel the same as they did 30 years ago......nicest looking tire out there, ...but that's where it ends, no performance edge vs a modern day QUALITY radial
Posted By: B5AARCuda

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/23/11 09:21 PM

The wheels look just damn perfect on this beautiful car!
Posted By: 1hot68

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/25/11 03:14 AM

I love repop bias tires Some people here are saying they dont work well, but I can tell you from real world experience that they hooked better on my 500 stroker Charger than the BFGs on the ttds. and thewey look the part far better too!!
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/25/11 05:05 PM

my plan was to have a set of BFG's (on a 8" rim on the rear) for driving and a set of Poly's for racing (PSMCDR) and shows.

I agree that the Poly's take the look to a whole new level and really finish off a resto. I also think they hook up WAY better than the T/A or almost any modern radial for that matter.

Now I'm wishing I went with the 15X7 steelies and Poly's first as I'm not sure I would have bothered with a second set and If I did they would have been TT's or something different rather than two sets of body colored steelies.....oh well.

Dave

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/25/11 11:17 PM

Quote:

I love repop bias tires Some people here are saying they dont work well, but I can tell you from real world experience that they hooked better on my 500 stroker Charger than the BFGs on the ttds. and thewey look the part far better too!!

I'd agree with you Brian on the looks dept, regarding the Polyglass,....but IMHO a 275/60/15 BFG hooks up better on my Daytona or Challenger better than the Poly F60's did,....but the Goodyear Eagle GT II's hook better than the Poly's and BFG's from my experience on either car

Mike

Attached picture 6496270-10-21-07_1411.jpg
Posted By: nutso suave

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/26/11 11:28 AM

why not just get old school cheater slicks? not for FAST, but if you wanted to have a period look that performs well...and looks really cool!

Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/26/11 03:46 PM

I don't think the pie crust slicks would look period correct on the cars mentioned... But on an early '60's B-body, oh yeah!

Re: New POLYGLASS TIRES - 02/26/11 07:39 PM

Put an L60 on in place of those 275 BFG'S There is some nostalgia for ya!!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums