Moparts

LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed.

Posted By: gomangoRTSE

LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/06/11 05:49 PM

Im gonna keep the post active for a bit as an owner of a LA built car, and a guy who want more input from anyone willing give it.

Seems like there have always been a plethra of documentation surrounding the Hamtramck cars. There were more made, more remaining, and they seem to have much more documentation to them in general such as build sheets etc.

We LA built car owners have less going for us, and I would like to find out more in general.

Lots of pics and info relating to inspection marks from the factory from front end to rear axle for Hamtrack cars, but are we to assume the colors, placement, and marks are the same on California cars?? If you have pics post them.

ECS systems were in place on the California cars in 1970, a year earlier than other mfg plants. And what other specific items and options were available exclusively to LA built cars?

Do you know what dealers LA cars went to? Is it correct to assume only the western part of the U.S.A.? I would like to hear any stories, or pics of dealer screw on or stick on IDs.

Anything in general about LA built cars and their documentations etc?

My RT/SE car was made in October of 1969 (NOE)serial#114### and there are decals on the windows where it spent years at Nellis Air Force base in Las Vegas Nevada. For at least 6 yrs it was owned by a person stationed there. As is usually the case, no build sheet.

Lets see what we can do to find out more about our LA built cars.
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/06/11 06:04 PM

I'm in the same boat...
Posted By: Morty426

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/06/11 06:08 PM

I've parted out a lot of LA cars but that was a long time ago

One difference that I have heard of is that LA cars did not install the screw for the rare exhaust bracket - they just glued it in
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/06/11 06:10 PM

Quote:

ECS systems were in place on the California cars in 1970, a year earlier than other mfg plants. And what other specific items and options were available exclusively to LA built cars?

Not all LA built '70 cars have ECS. ECS was required for all cars to be registered in the state of California. All assembly plants built ECS vehicles. The only OPTIONs I can think of that were NOT available on LA built cars are HEMI & sunroof. LA built cars were SOLD NEW or built to order for dealerships as far east as Pennsylvannia & Mayland (but I would think all 50 states recieved new cars from LA). In '70 LA was the only plant to build 3 different body platforms (A, B & E-bodies).
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/06/11 06:59 PM

I would say a sub assembly like a rear end would be the same....the plant or vendor that supplied these put all the ID marks on them per specs for identification.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/06/11 07:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not all LA built '70 cars have ECS. ECS was required for all cars to be registered in the state of California. All assembly plants built ECS vehicles. The only OPTIONs I can think of that were NOT available on LA built cars are HEMI & sunroof. LA built cars were SOLD NEW or built to order for dealerships as far east as Pennsylvannia & Mayland (but I would think all 50 states recieved new cars from LA). In '70 LA was the only plant to build 3 different body platforms (A, B & E-bodies).

I concur, I see a ton of Y14 cars and my car did not have ECS.
Posted By: magnum440

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/06/11 08:19 PM

same here ....my car was built nov 69 U0E 114703... ..other car 9-1969 GOE 107828

Attached File
6401231-grreencar.bmp  (344 downloads)

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 03:12 AM

Quote:

same here ....my car was built nov 69 U0E 114703... ..other car 9-1969 GOE 107828

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 03:17 AM

N95 meant Evaporative Emission Control (ECS) for the 1970 model year.

N95 meant Nitrous Oxide Emissions Control for the 1971 model year.

They are not the same.

LA was a much smaller plant than Hamtramck, so they built fewer cars. They also had a 'no trash' policy, so paper items like broadcast sheets were to be pulled & tossed out. Not all of them were, so you still have to search all the normal places to know if you have one or more.

Late in the 1970 model year all E-body orders were evidenty transfered to Hamtramck, this is why we see the occasional Western Sport Special Challenger from there when they were originally all supposed to be LA built cars.

I have seen dealer invoices for LA cars delivered as far away as Wisconsin & Illinois. A fair amount of them were sent to southern states as far away as Texas & they shipped cars to Hawaii & Alaska as well.

If anyone has any dealership invoices for 1970 LA cars, I would love to see scans or photocopies.
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 06:06 AM

I'm not certain of all the details of the noise reduction package but was that a Ca deal only?

LA built 440 Superbee;

Posted By: willard

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 08:42 AM

My car is also LA built (dec 19) JS29N0E 127xxx. Unfortunately no evidence of buildsheet or any factory markings as car had the surface rust on the underbody.
Posted By: 1970mopar

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 12:35 PM

I have a few (and owned quite a few over the years) LA built E-bodies; including one with a broadcast sheet. Markings on most components vary and are similar to the markings as seen on Dodge Main cars.
Posted By: rm23j8g

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 02:49 PM

Quote:

My car is also LA built (dec 19) JS29N0E 127xxx. Unfortunately no evidence of buildsheet or any factory markings as car had the surface rust on the underbody.

I also have a JS29N0E survivor, with a very nice undercarriage. SPD was Dec 18, and I have searched in futility for a broadcast sheet as well.
One of the more obvious differences I see in LA cars was the use of black dip primer instead of the usual gray.
Here's a link to some detail pics of the markings on the 3.55 rear of this car.
http://rogergibsonautorestoration.com/1970383Challenger_RD.htm
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 03:18 PM

Almost all the bells and whistles, but no N95.

Attached picture 6402536-tagone.jpg
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 03:19 PM

Y14 on second tag.

Attached picture 6402538-tagtwo.jpg
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 04:08 PM

I've heard that some of the LA sheet metal was supplied by a closer vendor, so there are some very minor differences in the ribbing on the floor pans, etc. This probably applies to vendors of other parts also.

I think this is going to be a good thread!

Tav
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 05:56 PM

Only shot from under my '70 rr I can find. Don't remember what the entire mark looks like in the middle. Besides the 2 white partials there, there is yellow stencil on front of axle tube, drivers side, I think. On the pass side (I think) right at the backing plate there's a plastic or maybe paper tag wrapped around the tube, too dirty to read, if it had anything on it. One thing I've noticed on restored cars is under the trunk lid. They always have an 'x' or tire size in some type of marker and the jack instructions are perfectly located. There are no marks under my trunk & the label was off center & rotated clockwise maybe 20 degrees crooked. Car is stored for winter but I'm putting on new seat covers & going through the engine /trans this Spring. I'll look for more marks & such.

Attached picture 6402826-rr.JPG
Posted By: AutoEngineer

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 11:11 PM

If I remember correctly, some years ago there was a website dedicated to LA build Mopars, but what has happened to it???
Posted By: 71383beep

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/07/11 11:32 PM

Intereting topic. My car is a N1E110333 LA built FC7 car. Most solid body I have ever had!

I will check the build date, but from memory it was in late September 1970. I thought mine did not have the emissions stuff but it did have turn downs and was a sales bank car. I will need to check my tag when I get home tonight.

I would love more info on the LA cars. In the early 80's my car was titled in CA and the holder was a guy in Portland. Weird!
Posted By: r4brightred

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 12:19 AM

I read in a post from here years ago that a guy went into the Ford plant in LA and it was clean and looked like a well run operation, then he visited the Chrysler plant and it was a dump in comparison IIRC. My 69 RR is LA built. June build date. I could not find a buildsheet. Car had a Pennzoil oil change sticker stuck to drivers door near the latch. It was dated from 1984 and address of the garage was in Whittier CA. So my car was likely CA. sold and possibly was in LA up until the mid 80's. It really sucks that we cannot do a Title search and find previous owners and get some history on our cars.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 03:13 AM

Quote:

It really sucks that we cannot do a Title search and find previous owners and get some history on our cars.

Thanks to the bureaucrats!
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 03:24 AM

Quote:

If I remember correctly, some years ago there was a website dedicated to LA build Mopars, but what has happened to it???

Cody had started the 1970 LA Registry & had the site you mentioned. He got to a point where he did not feel like he could keep the registry going anymore & asked me to take it over. So I did.

He let the website / domain name expire as far as I know.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 08:11 AM

Quote:

I read in a post from here years ago that a guy went into the Ford plant in LA and it was clean and looked like a well run operation, then he visited the Chrysler plant and it was a dump in comparison IIRC. My 69 RR is LA built. June build date. I could not find a buildsheet. Car had a Pennzoil oil change sticker stuck to drivers door near the latch. It was dated from 1984 and address of the garage was in Whittier CA. So my car was likely CA. sold and possibly was in LA up until the mid 80's. It really sucks that we cannot do a Title search and find previous owners and get some history on our cars.

My Dad went on a tour of the LA Mopar plant in 1957 or so. Also went to the Mercury plant at the same time. He remembers the Mopar plant had guys re-fitting doors and what looked like re-work in the finished or semi finished area. The Mercury plant didn't have that. Overall impression was there were not as smooth looking/feel at the Mopar plant.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cody had started the 1970 LA Registry & had the site you mentioned. He got to a point where he did not feel like he could keep the registry going anymore & asked me to take it over. So I did.

He let the website / domain name expire as far as I know.

Hey Barry:

How many cars were part of the registry roughly? Are you going to put it back up on the web or ?
Posted By: r4brightred

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 04:14 PM

A bit off topic but I was taking a tour of the Honda plant in Alabama a few years ago. One line was making the Odyssey and the other was making the Pilot. After checking out the assembly line for the Pilot we went outside to go to the stamping plant. Outside was a huge lot of Pilots. When asked about them the guide told us that they all had quality control issues that had to be fixed before they could get shipped out. So I guess all manufacturers have their problems. If you ever get a chance to tour a auto factory I highly encourage it.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 04:52 PM

We currently have 1914 cars in the 1970 LA Registry & 10,212 cars in the 1970 Hamtramck Registry.

Cody asked if I wanted the website, but I already had HH. Hamtramck is in the name, but all the LA info I have is there as well.
Posted By: m46rat

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/08/11 06:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

One other BIG "option" that was never offered out of the L.A. plant was a convertible, at least as far as E Body cars go.
Also, from my listing of M46 equipped Barracuda's, the VAST MAJORITY of them came from the L.A. plant. Don't know why that is. Maybe Barry can shed some light on that.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/09/11 11:33 PM

Bump....I want to know more, pics? Or pics or any info on West Coast dealers. By the way numbers 035805 above the serial number on the tag, what does that mean?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/09/11 11:38 PM

Here's the tag from under my seat on rr.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/09/11 11:39 PM

And the only thing that referred to assembly & it was in the glove box when new.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/09/11 11:40 PM

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/09/11 11:42 PM

And the 'performance 'thing' that's with the owners manual. I never looked before but it has the build date & so number along with vin.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/09/11 11:42 PM

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/09/11 11:45 PM

LA built 70 Cuda
SPD 3/70
Assy dates on original items:

833 Trans Dec 9, 1969
Engine Dec 19, 1969
Rear Jan 6, 1970
Posted By: sublime r/t se

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/11/11 07:09 AM

Our car is a JS29U0E103XXX L.A. Built car

I don't have the build date.

I've been meaning to register on the Hamtramk site, but have been too busy. I promise to do so.
Posted By: MrNormTA

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/11/11 02:52 PM

70 R/T SE FC7 challenger JS29NOE122XXX Mine was transported to southern Indiana in the late 80's. Very prominent black dip primer line on the inside of car. My car is virtually as rust free as it gets. Looks to have sat in the sun and deteriorated the vinyl top to the point that it is obvious it was peeling in the center before removal. Found little bits of the white vinyl that was left under the trim. All the emission(N95) stuff still on or with the car. No broadcast sheet found, previous owner went through a very nasty divorce and his wife got the safe with the fender tags and wouldn't give them to him. Gonna hot rod it with a hemi and not worry about it!

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/12/11 01:07 AM

Quote:

Bump....I want to know more, pics? Or pics or any info on West Coast dealers. By the way numbers 035805 above the serial number on the tag, what does that mean?

So, these numbers are?? I remember it being discussed in other threads. Order# Im not sure. Plenty in here and chime in on this.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/12/11 02:00 AM

That is the S.O. (shipping order) number. It was the number on the dealers order form for that car.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/12/11 04:25 PM

Quote:

That is the S.O. (shipping order) number. It was the number on the dealers order form for that car.

numbers 035805 above the serial number on the tag

So do any of these numbers 035805 reflect any assigned dealer number or is all 5 numbers merely the shipping number. I guess what I am asking is: from these shipping numbers you cannot tell what dealer ordered the car (or) what dealer the car went to?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/12/11 04:49 PM

The only way is to find some consecutive numbers to those to a car with the known dealer. Even that is not a 100% proposition.

Kind of a shot in the dark but you may get lucky. The Guru may have some close in his database.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/12/11 05:18 PM

On the my rr, I know my dealership & I think it's still there on Chestnut in Fort Bragg, CA. So, on a sales bank car, did the so # come from the dealer too? I just thought it was a plant number. I wondered if sales bank cars were ordered by the dealer or CP just said 'here, take this'. That made more sense to me since they would have received my '70 when the '71's were due any day.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/12/11 06:54 PM

Good question. I would only be guessing but I would suspect a sales bank car would have factory SO numbers. Barry?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/13/11 02:44 AM

Y16 cars had SO / VONs assigned at the factory.

If a dealership ordered a car for stock it would have the number from that page of the order pad.

There are exceptions. One as an example would be a 999 paint car, the number from the pad would have been superceded by a new number with a letter prefix.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/14/11 01:35 AM

Quote:

Y16 cars had SO / VONs assigned at the factory.

If a dealership ordered a car for stock it would have the number from that page of the order pad.

There are exceptions. One as an example would be a 999 paint car, the number from the pad would have been superceded by a new number with a letter prefix.

So, the order number isn't really all that useful. I wonder if the plant number 162... on my tag was for rr's, all 'b' bodies, or all cars made at the plant? Hmmmm

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/14/11 02:28 AM

That answer is no.

Order pads had sequential numbers, but the order forms were for only one type of car in most cases, so the last six numbers can & do repeat across model lines with no relation at all to the other models.

I know of 1970 Barracudas & Challengers with 162xxx numbers also.
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/14/11 05:45 AM

My gtx is from the Los Angeles plant as well and also no build sheet to be found. I do have the certi card and it has the vin, paint code, trim info and some other numbers on it. I will take a picture and post it. Here is a picture of my fender tag I recently took.

Attached picture 6416643-DSC01745.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/14/11 07:35 PM

Quote:

That answer is no.

Order pads had sequential numbers, but the order forms were for only one type of car in most cases, so the last six numbers can & do repeat across model lines with no relation at all to the other models.

I know of 1970 Barracudas & Challengers with 162xxx numbers also.

Well, now i know what that number means, anyway. Thank you!

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/15/11 02:56 PM

Its a shame that most of the LA built cars came with no build sheet as they are "holy grails" at times when values and documentation are a premium in our hobby. I do think "by and large" these cars were located more prevelantly in the Western states and therefore a little more rust free.

Now Ive seen it mentioned here that floor panels may be a little different than other plants? Seems I have heard this before, but I dont know if its accurate. My car is up on a rotisserie now and I am lucky to have superb floor boards. California cars had that piece of metal behind the passenger side wheel wheel that bolted on where your return lines were near. I had a picture awhile back that showed this and I "believe" not sure that it protected the thing that the lines went thru. I can picture it in my mind but cant explain it. Sorry for the clumsiness.

Im sure someone will have a pic. Perhaps Challenger1 will have it. Even today I keep the pics of his excellent car where his lines go to and from the rear. I need to buy that extra vapor return line. I think I have many of his pics on backup file. I lost my storage on my old laptop.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/18/11 12:49 AM

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/18/11 06:38 PM

Quote:

Now Ive seen it mentioned here that floor panels may be a little different than other plants? Seems I have heard this before, but I dont know if its accurate. My car is up on a rotisserie now and I am lucky to have superb floor boards. California cars had that piece of metal behind the passenger side wheel wheel that bolted on where your return lines were near. I had a picture awhile back that showed this and I "believe" not sure that it protected the thing that the lines went thru. I can picture it in my mind but cant explain it. Sorry for the clumsiness.

I'll check my one LA car's floor vs. my Hamtrack cars later tonight.

The plate you are talking about is behind the passenger side wheel well. It unique to 1970 California cars. It protects the EVAP lines. The plate changed in 1971 to a different design.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/18/11 06:39 PM

The ECS vent lines shield:

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 12:11 AM

Can someone else post some pics of this ECS vent shield in place. Im sorry I cant get much out of the earlier pics.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 02:40 AM

Attached picture 6427888-springfling07-2066.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 02:41 AM

/

Attached picture 6427891-springfling07-3084.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 03:40 AM

Ah yes thanks for the larger pic Barry. Appreciate it as I can see much better. Now this shield has two bolt holes in front that attach it to the rear of the fenderwhell opening. I seem to remember seeing two holes. Was this attached with screws that were six sided, or with a phillips head, or what? In the pic there also seems to be perhaps one screw not attached to the frame?
Posted By: redwrydr

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 07:06 AM

I have an LA built 70 Cuda...no build sheet, I was so bummed as I was looking in all the places, and then I read this thread and felt a little better, probably never had one. Not sure if this matters to anyone, but I thought it was cool, this mark was by the driver headlight and I saved it when I had the car painted...and because of this mark (and some thoughts from Moparts folks) I kept it this color..I think my painter thought I was nuts when I told him to mask this off and not touch it...

http://img196.imageshack.us/i/img1227nx.jpg/
Posted By: redwrydr

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 07:30 AM

A pic of the LA Cuda fender tag...I thought it was different that it had another tag upside down instead of next to it...anyone else seen that done?

By redwrydr at 2011-01-19

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 07:34 AM

Quote:

Ah yes thanks for the larger pic Barry. Appreciate it as I can see much better. Now this shield has two bolt holes in front that attach it to the rear of the fenderwhell opening. I seem to remember seeing two holes. Was this attached with screws that were six sided, or with a phillips head, or what? In the pic there also seems to be perhaps one screw not attached to the frame?

Troy probably will remember. His 70 T/A was ECS.

I think the picture above is his FT6 car and his restoration/detailing work??

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 08:54 AM

I asked Barry a couple of weeks ago about that 3rd attachment point for the ECS shield and he said there was no third screw. The shield was fastened with only 2 by the wheel well. In my car it was like on the pictures and I was also looking for the third screw.
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 09:22 AM

The ECS shielding is actually two pieces - the one shown in the above photos, along with a small trough that goes through the frame rail. There are three screws - two that attach the main shield to the wheel well, and a third, that attaches the trough to the main piece. The screws are the same as the ones used on the gas filler tube seal or the washer bottle.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 01:51 PM

I believe there are 2 different styles of the larger shields.
There is the smaller one that goes thru the frame rail. About 8" long and looks like a water trough. and then there is the larger one on 1970 ECS cars. Then there is another larger one on 1971 cars, shaped slightly different but it attaches and it's purpose is the same as the 70 version.
This is the 1970 only version of the main shield. I don't think I have the smaller trough looking one.

I know someone was repoping both versions of the larger one at one time, but I've not seen anything in a couple years on them.

Attached picture 6428554-100_0715.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 01:52 PM

Attached picture 6428555-100_0714.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 01:52 PM

Attached picture 6428558-100_0713.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 02:17 PM

And the cars tag it came off of.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 03:53 PM

Her is my car before resto. I see no hole to attach the large shield to the oval "pipe" going thru frame.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 05:35 PM

Notice that the LA car's fender tags have a unique font and that two tag cars are not set side by side but on top of each other

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 06:01 PM

Quote:

A pic of the LA Cuda fender tag...I thought it was different that it had another tag upside down instead of next to it...anyone else seen that done?

I'm looking at this on crappy laptop in an airport but, do I see n42 & &n95 on there with no n97? Dual tips & CA required only n95, and no n97, also mandatory in CA noise reduction? I may have those codes wrong, sorry if I do but that's what I remember them to be.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm looking at this on crappy laptop in an airport but, do I see n42 & &n95 on there with no n97? Dual tips & CA required only n95, and no n97, also mandatory in CA noise reduction? I may have those codes wrong, sorry if I do but that's what I remember them to be.

Mandatory noise reduction (with no tips) is only on E body 440+6 and Hemi cars

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

Ok, so those 2 engines only. So, no 6bbl/hemi e-bodies with n97 came with tips? I ask because my 6bbl b-body, with n97 (&n42) has them.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, so those 2 engines only. So, no 6bbl/hemi e-bodies with n97 came with tips? I ask because my 6bbl b-body, with n97 (&n42) has them.

Correct sir. My WM21V with N95 and N97 has tips (N42) too

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 10:03 PM

In these pictures above, for example the blue car and the tag on the green car. The fonts are different......The font on the green car are different than the blue fender tag. The fender tag on my car is exactly the same font as the blue fender tag. My fender tag looks old and the back side has the very old faded gomango color overspray on it. Havent I read before that there were different fonts on the LA cars?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 10:06 PM

I seem to remember there were/are 2 different fonts used on the LA plant line

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/20/11 11:14 PM

Quote:

In these pictures above, for example the blue car and the tag on the green car. The fonts are different......The font on the green car are different than the blue fender tag. The fender tag on my car is exactly the same font as the blue fender tag. My fender tag looks old and the back side has the very old faded gomango color overspray on it. Havent I read before that there were different fonts on the LA cars?

Two different machines used simultaneously, both fonts available!

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 04:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Two different machines used simultaneously, both fonts available!

Correct, but isn't one of the fonts not reproduced?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 04:24 AM

The thin font is being redone somewhere now, fakes have been showing up.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 06:01 AM

Is it just me or does it seem a higher than normal % of JS29 cars were LA built....

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 06:05 AM

It's just you.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 06:38 AM

Quote:

It's just you.

Oh, Ok.. I guess they just all popped up in this thread...

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 03:45 PM

Does anyone have any survivor or "correctly" restored pics of what the underside of the cars (specifically E-body if possible) look like with the black dip primer and over-spray? Thank you.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 04:39 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have any survivor or "correctly" restored pics of what the underside of the cars (specifically E-body if possible) look like with the black dip primer and over-spray? Thank you.

68 Dart LA built

After light blasting

before:

Attached picture 6430567-Troy5_14_10DartSm05.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/21/11 04:47 PM

68 Dart under gas tank black dip:

Attached picture 6430576-Troy3_19_10DartSm4.JPG
Posted By: STEVERACER_1

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/22/11 12:47 AM

Quote:

N95 meant Evaporative Emission Control (ECS) for the 1970 model year.

N95 meant Nitrous Oxide Emissions Control for the 1971 model year.

They are not the same.

LA was a much smaller plant than Hamtramck, so they built fewer cars. They also had a 'no trash' policy, so paper items like broadcast sheets were to be pulled & tossed out. Not all of them were, so you still have to search all the normal places to know if you have one or more.

Late in the 1970 model year all E-body orders were evidenty transfered to Hamtramck, this is why we see the occasional Western Sport Special Challenger from there when they were originally all supposed to be LA built cars.

I have seen dealer invoices for LA cars delivered as far away as Wisconsin & Illinois. A fair amount of them were sent to southern states as far away as Texas & they shipped cars to Hawaii & Alaska as well.

If anyone has any dealership invoices for 1970 LA cars, I would love to see scans or photocopies.

I used to have survivor type Cuda that was built in LA and was purchased new in Michigan. I found the build sheet under the front passenger seat but never looked under the back seat to see if had one there as well. It did not have and ECS on it as well. Also it had a stamped spread sheet right next to the fender tag which listed the plant supervisor's name and other info on it.

Man I miss that car terribly.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/22/11 04:56 AM

Quote:

Is it just me or does it seem a higher than normal % of JS29 cars were LA built....

Mines not from LA .... oh yeah it's a hemi car ... never mind

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/23/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

Her is my car before resto. I see no hole to attach the large shield to the oval "pipe" going thru frame.

Here's a couple pics I had. Maybe they will help.
Car is a 1970.

Tav

Attached picture 6433888-1970N95.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/23/11 05:40 PM

Same 70 Challenger

Tav

Attached picture 6433909-1970N952.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/23/11 06:25 PM

Interesting.

Both of the cars I had pictures of were Hamtramck cars built for CA. Does anyone have a 1970 Hamtramck car with that inner cover in place?
Posted By: Ruppman

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/24/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Correct sir. My WM21V with N95 and N97 has tips (N42) too

Thats what I have found too. Only E bodies 440+6 and Hemi with n97 no tips. Not sure if the 440 4 bbl could have them? But I know lots of California sold 383 E bodies had tips. BTW, neat Cuda, My Challenger is a California sold car with the E63, D21, n95 and F8 body with the V5F molding yours has too. Though mine was built in Hamtramck because of the folding roof.

mark

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/24/11 04:05 AM

Quote:

Interesting.

Both of the cars I had pictures of were Hamtramck cars built for CA. Does anyone have a 1970 Hamtramck car with that inner cover in place?

My former R/T SE had both shields in place... JS29U0B440289

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/24/11 04:23 AM

Thanks Randy! I have a copy of your SIAC membership form from 1981 here.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/24/11 06:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks Randy! I have a copy of your SIAC membership form from 1981 here.

Yeah I don't know if you recall sending me a copy back in 03... You getting your hands on the SIAC files was the spark that forced me to join Moparts.. Prior to that I'd been a lurker for quite a few years but I''d never posted...

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/25/11 02:53 AM

Oh great, now every one will blame me for you being here.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/25/11 03:09 AM

Yeah, it's all Barry's fault..

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/25/11 04:10 AM

Again?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/25/11 05:16 AM

Thanks Barry, I'm glad Randy's here. Keep up the good work.

Tav
Posted By: Mark340A66

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/25/11 04:33 PM

Quote:

Almost all the bells and whistles, but no N95.

With all due respect, that is a beautiful tag, but the font appears more like a Hamtramck font, have a look at the tag off my last car. GG told me it was an LA tag for sure when I registered. I hope you can see this, VIN is JH23H0E114260 built in late Oct/69.

I guess I stand corrected if there were 2 fonts at LA, first I'd heard that, great thread and I miss my Challenger too.

Attached picture 6437589-ChallengerFenderTag.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/26/11 02:52 AM

Typical thin & thick fonts from a random sampling of original tags from 1970 LA built cars;

Attached picture 6438706-1970lathick&thinfonts.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 01/27/11 11:42 PM

SO I am to presume that the elongated plate that is shown going thru the frame is the missing link that I havent seen before (on the plum purple car or blue car? above). You know in my boxes of parts I might just have this piece. I seem to (maybe) have seen it thinking it was some odd piece thrown into one of the many boxes of parts I have. Now its obvious where the missing bolt or screw goes to now on the pic in the earlier page.

I still wish we were contributing more info on the western Mopar dealers. I guess with no more than the fender tag I have I can never know what dealer my car may have went to. Oh well

Attached picture 6441922-6433888-1970N95.jpg
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/02/11 03:07 PM

Trunk latch installed when painted . 9 of 69 Cuda .

Attached picture 6452673-tmpphp44WaPT.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/02/11 03:43 PM

I have to check but that non-painted area is probably where they bolted a temp spare latch or fixture to hold the lid down when painting. I have pics of an LA 'Cuda where the deck lid latch was painted - just like later 70 Hamtramck cars were.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/02/11 08:00 PM

Thx Jim . This car also just had black paint in the front wheels wells and very little undercoat in the rears .

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/02/11 11:53 PM

Here is the painted deck lid latch/catch....whatever you want to call it...

Attached picture 6453610-rearpanelassembled.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/02/11 11:54 PM

F-Tag off same car...

Attached picture 6453613-trimtag.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/02/11 11:56 PM

Check out the date code on the rubber bumper...compared to the SPD.

Attached picture 6453616-elastomericdate.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/03/11 12:06 AM

Same car - trunk latch. Check out the tail light stud.

Attached picture 6453630-Cudatrunk2.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/03/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

That baby needs a correct valence

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/03/11 01:07 AM

I had these pics on my computer forever. I have almost the identical car except for the plant and the fellow sent me these. Glad I kept them.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/03/11 01:08 AM

Quote:

F-Tag off same car...

Hrmmm that looks familiar .

Attached picture 6453713-tmpphpC84lAc.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/03/11 01:12 AM

Is this your car? Cuda-Ken? I sense a PM coming....

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/05/11 03:07 PM

Anyone have any more info or data or relevant on LA cars? Maybe dealer info or pics?
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/05/11 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That baby needs a correct valence

same thing on mine with the painted trunk latch. notice how it was shot first, then aligned.

Attached picture 6458417-cudatrunk.jpg
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:06 PM

I've got some more to add for 71 LA built A bodies. This is on my 71 Duster 340. Its never been painted or molested for the most part. Typical for LA built cars, I could not find a broadcast sheet anywhere.

I found this on the core support, E5 and the car is FE5 Red

Attached picture 6473843-DsuterFE5.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:09 PM

It also has no undercoating except in the rear wheel wells. The front has the same black paint/dip
There are black drips on the underside of the floor pan. Heres the driver side front wheel well/ inner fender

Attached picture 6473851-Dusterframerailnoundercoat.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:10 PM

More of the front inner fender area

Attached picture 6473853-Dusterfrontapronlackofundercoat.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:15 PM

A/C with undercoating 70 Challenger 440 4bbl car.

Attached picture 6473862-Copyof70ClngrSrv0033.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:17 PM

Heres a pic of the tank vent lines and cover.

Attached picture 6473865-DusterECSventcover.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

It also has no undercoating except in the rear wheel wells. The front has the same black paint/dip
There are black drips on the underside of the floor pan. Heres the driver side front wheel well/ inner fender

Seems to correspond with the 68 Dart I posted pictures of before. Same black dip line even!

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:31 PM

Its looks very similar underneath too. Was the black dip an A body thing or did B & E's have it too?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:35 PM

found out my bros 70 383 cuda is la built car as well..will have to look for buildsheet,,maybe itll have it..doubt it now though... ill have to take pics of it before we take it apart.....

Attached picture 6473902-70cudavin.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:45 PM

Here's the cowl blackout on that LA built 70 Challenger R/T 440 4bbl auto...

Got the hood and hinge and fender with spray too.

Attached picture 6473926-Copyof70ClngrSrv0038.JPG
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:50 PM

This LA car lacked front wheel well undercoating as well

Attached picture 6473939-Cuda1.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:51 PM

tag

Attached picture 6473942-Yellow1970440SixPackCudaFenderTag(2).jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 10:55 PM

Quote:

This LA car lacked front wheel well undercoating as well

Did it have sort of a black dip line like we are seeing with the A-bodies?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 11:09 PM

Inner front frame paint coverage on the LA built 70 Challenger R/T

Attached picture 6473973-Copyof70ClngrSrv0021.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 11:22 PM

Yes, it had the black body dip undercarriage

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/13/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, it had the black body dip undercarriage

Did it have a defined start line inside the fenderwells like we are seeing in the A-bodies?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/14/11 02:59 AM

Would options not listed on the fender tag be an LA plant thing as well? I ask because my Duster has disc brakes and 3spd wipers but its not listed on the tag?

Would it be correct to assume that to correctly restore the underside (floor pans) it would be black with red overspray?

Has anybody restored an LA car correctly, and is there pics/ website anywhere showing it?
Posted By: 2002bluert

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/14/11 08:06 AM

I had an La Car but the only thing that I can remember different was that there were no holes drilled in the trunk floor for the left exhaust hanger, car was taken apart before I got it but it had the original trunk pan it it.

Attached picture 6474957-Challenger2.jpg
Posted By: 2002bluert

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/14/11 08:09 AM

trunk floor hard to see though.

Attached picture 6474958-2004_0312_145913AA.JPG
Posted By: Thread Ender1

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/14/11 04:09 PM

Quote:

Would options not listed on the fender tag be an LA plant thing as well? I ask because my Duster has disc brakes and 3spd wipers but its not listed on the tag?

Would it be correct to assume that to correctly restore the underside (floor pans) it would be black with red overspray?

Has anybody restored an LA car correctly, and is there pics/ website anywhere showing it?

Only if it were power disc (B51)it would show on the fender tag, it sould show j25 for 3 spd wiper though. right?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/14/11 04:57 PM

Nothing on the tag for the wipers which I found odd since they and the brakes were extra cost options.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/14/11 05:33 PM

Only if it were power disc (B51)it would show on the fender tag, it sould show j25 for 3 spd wiper though. right?

I think b51 just means 'power' brakes as my 6bbl car has b51 & has drums. Does have j25 on the tag for the wipers, though.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 01:51 AM

This Swinger had no front wheelwell undercoating either.

Attached picture 6476133-F-Tag-RS.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, for J25

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 02:53 AM

The Duster clearly has the 3 spd wiper with the pushbutton elec washer, which should be J25. Wiring to the pump is there and untouched factory wires. The car is pretty much unmolested and stock. No evidence on the floor of a foot pump being screwed in at one time either.

Also it should be code B41 for the disc brakes, non power.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 02:59 AM

Quote:

Did it have a defined start line inside the fenderwells like we are seeing in the A-bodies?

Yes, just like all mopars of that era did, they were all dipped up to about the upper door hinge before comming out of the coating tank. The only thing really unique about the LA cars is that most if not all of them had a black colored dip, and that it is now looking like many of them had no forward undercoating which would have hidden/burried the dip line.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 03:17 AM

Here is a L A built Cuda . The black is some form of rubberized undercaot but not like the usual .

Attached picture 6476366-IMG_6818.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 03:20 AM

Here is the dip line .

Attached picture 6476377-IMG_6822.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 05:45 AM

heres a cpl pics of 70 LA cuda also originally EV2 ...

Attached picture 6476713-cars1795cuda.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 05:47 AM

another..

Attached picture 6476718-cars1802cuda.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 05:48 AM

trunk...

Attached picture 6476719-cars1810trunkcuda.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 06:43 AM

My 70 340 LA built Cuda had no undercoating on the front driver side, but had very little on the rear section of the passenger side. The driver side had what looked to be blackout paint on the rear section. Both rear wheel wells had undercoating.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 06:47 AM

FWIW I had a 1967 BelvedereI station wagon that also lacked undercoating under the fenders but had it in the rear. It also had black dip. Factory black car with a blue interior, 273, 3 speed on the column. Car was ordered new as a funeral home body pickup vehicle, still had the tie down for the gurney in the back.

Attached picture 6476807-67BelvedereWagons013.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 06:52 AM

Quote:

FWIW I had a 1967 BelvedereI station wagon that also lacked undercoating under the fenders but had it in the rear. It also had black dip. Factory black car with a blue interior, 273, 3 speed on the column. Car was ordered new as a funeral home body pickup vehicle, still had the tie down for the gurney in the back.

Was that Station Wagon built in L.A.? Didn't think they did station wagons there.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 06:57 AM

Quote:

Was that Station Wagon built in L.A.? Didn't think they did station wagons there.

Yep!

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 07:08 AM

I don't have it anymore but I took a few pics

Attached picture 6476835-67BelIWheelWellsLAcar.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 07:08 AM

Attached picture 6476836-67BelIWheelWellsLAcarA.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 03:59 PM

After looking at the inner quarter panel view of the Cuda it looks similar to the Duster. There seems to much less inner QP undercoating.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 10:50 PM

Quote:

another..

Cutting the bracket for the 4 speed linkage - is that an LA thing?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/15/11 11:54 PM

Must be, as my LA car looks like that also.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/16/11 06:25 AM

Quote:

Mine was like that too on my Cuda! I repaired it when I restored the car - thought some dope cut it out with a torch!

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 02/17/11 05:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine was like that too on my Cuda! I repaired it when I restored the car - thought some dope cut it out with a torch!

the Cuda is one owner car..i just checked my 70 LA 4spd challenger and its cut like that also...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/05/11 08:01 PM

Good thread lots of information I had no idea that it was in here,sorry about the extra post on the forum, new member still learning. But it would be nice to keep this forum going with more LA built cars
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/06/11 06:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

MINE TOO! I can't believe the factory did that! I also thought some dope snipped mine on my LA cuda, so I repaired it while restoring it.
Posted By: mike s

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/06/11 09:25 AM

I've asked before but never got an answer so lets try again.My 62 Belv LA built has a painted trunk.Detroit built cars weren't painted in the trunk until 66.LA thing?
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: LA built cars, Inspection stamps. - 03/06/11 02:55 PM

1970 E body

Attached picture 6513308-70CudapaintinspstampLA.jpg
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: LA built cars, Inspection stamps. - 03/06/11 02:57 PM

1970 E body trunk

Attached picture 6513316-70challenger.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: LA built cars, Inspection stamps. - 03/06/11 09:37 PM

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/06/11 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MINE TOO! I can't believe the factory did that! I also thought some dope snipped mine on my LA cuda, so I repaired it while restoring it.

That's why I asked I've only seen it on LA 4 speeds - looks like we might have learned something *cool*

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/07/11 05:32 AM

indeed...

Attached picture 6515351-cars1868la4spd.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/07/11 05:41 AM

1970 Hamtramck car;

Attached picture 6515369-normal.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/07/11 12:37 PM

Quote:

1970 Hamtramck car;

Barry - speculation on my part is that LA 4 speeds were always cut and Hamtramck was hit or miss

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 07/05/11 12:16 AM

So much for the black dip theory in my case. Its obvious that the black was sprayed (rather slopily) into the wheel opening before the suspension/ bumper/etc was installed. The black is definitely on top of the primer, with red in between in spots. Would it be correct to assume that they used black paint in the same manner that undercoating was applied on most other cars?

Attached picture 6713928-Dusterpassfrwheelwel.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 07/05/11 02:44 PM

Quote:

So much for the black dip theory in my case. Its obvious that the black was sprayed (rather slopily) into the wheel opening before the suspension/ bumper/etc was installed. The black is definitely on top of the primer, with red in between in spots. Would it be correct to assume that they used black paint in the same manner that undercoating was applied on most other cars?

Looks like factory primer on the bottom and spray bomb at the top (different shades)and the fact that every car was different. However, yours definitely wasn't dipped as much as the norm!

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 07/05/11 09:12 PM

All these newly known or little known facts and details about California made Challengers are what makes them clearly more alluring and fascinating than generic Michigan made rusty cars.

Therefore those of us with California cars should value them and price them accordingly to Hemi and Six pack cars. Coolest of the cool.... I know my 383 is clearly worth $5,000 more than than a similiar made Hamtramck car. Dum de dum de dum

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/22/11 12:39 AM

Does anybody have pics of how the dipped cars looked on the interior? I wondering if the dip line would be visible on the inside firewall/ footwell, kickpanel area, etc??

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/29/11 02:19 AM

I had a few pics, let me see if I can find on a memory stick, after the World Series that is....

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/29/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Does anybody have pics of how the dipped cars looked on the interior? I wondering if the dip line would be visible on the inside firewall/ footwell, kickpanel area, etc??

Yes, it was. Someone posted photos of one here once, but I do not remember who it was?

The dip tank level evidently changed too as it was used and refilled. Some of the different fender tags in my collection show no dip, some dip & full dip.
Posted By: swapman

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/31/11 10:04 PM

On my Cuda, built 3/70 which sold and delivered new to Normal- Bloomington Il. the drivers door vin. sticker was placed verticly. The trunk shock rubber plugs were the same as 1971 Hamtramck. The inspection tag was a long thin strip of metal with punch marks. The color was B7 Jamaica Blue Metallic and only the rad support was blacked out not the cowl. B7 was not supposed to get any blackout, must have been an assembly error. Thomas Gentry the quality control manager in Van Nuys transfered to Belvidere Ill. He told me the big shots did not want trash in cars so broadcast sheets were discarded. But check this I found sticks of lead solder in the rear window channel along with a McDonalds bag.
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/01/11 03:15 AM

LA cuda

Attached picture 6897574-la6.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/01/11 03:16 AM

Attached picture 6897576-la1.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/01/11 03:16 AM

Attached picture 6897579-la2.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/01/11 03:17 AM

Attached picture 6897581-la3.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/01/11 03:17 AM

Attached picture 6897582-la4.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/01/11 03:18 AM

Attached picture 6897583-la5.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/20/12 05:26 AM

LA built Duster OE Gold under carriage.

Attached picture 7126957-undercarriage.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 03/20/12 05:32 AM

Would these be the correct style clamps for both ends of the ECS hoses?

Would all 4 of the ECS hoses be "KV" logo'd?

Attached picture 7126962-6433888-1970N95.jpg
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/27/13 04:44 PM

Hey guys, I purchased a '70 LA plant, numbers matching Challenger back in June. This car has everything... build sheet, dealer invoice and mostly original equipment. Car was bought and stayed in LA from April of '70 til 2003... Yes, the original owner kept it that long. A gentleman in Louisville bought the car through a broker. He kept it in a garage for a couple years, and then decided to have it restored. After a looong drawn out half completed resto and bankruptcy, this car has been in a garage covered up. So I acquired this car and I'm restoring it. I have everything that's original to the car... including build sheet, dealer invoice, fender tag, and yearly odometer inspections from California. I have talked to Barry about this car. I will be registering it with the registry soon. I may be able to get some dip lines as the interior body was so nice it wasn't repainted. I have found a few neat items along with teardown I will be sharing too. This car was bought new at Doug Snavely in Redland, California also. More to come later....

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/27/13 04:48 PM

Yes, my car had those clamps on all four lines(both ends) and they all have "KV' logo'd on them.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/27/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

I also have a JS29N0E survivor, with a very nice undercarriage. SPD was Dec 18, and I have searched in futility for a broadcast sheet as well.
One of the more obvious differences I see in LA cars was the use of black dip primer instead of the usual gray.
Here's a link to some detail pics of the markings on the 3.55 rear of this car.
http://rogergibsonautorestoration.com/1970383Challenger_RD.htm

Do you have anymore pics of your rear end details in a larger format? Gibson's site pics are rather small and don't expand when clicked.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/27/13 11:03 PM

Here's a LA tag that was sitting on a table of a swap meeter. Took a picture for Barry collecting tag info.

What's A48 ?

Attached picture 7902797-IMG_2320.JPG
Posted By: xx29

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/27/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

Here's a LA tag that was sitting on a table of a swap meeter. Took a picture for Barry collecting tag info.

What's A48 ?

Dress up group= extra moldings

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/27/13 11:17 PM

Thanks Steve!

Paul,
Hard to see for sure, does that tag have a B55 for C55 typo?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 12:20 AM

In regards to the fuel tank vent hoses. My 1971 Duster (LA car) had the 4 rubber vent lines and shield but none of them originally had clamps on either end, they were all just pushed on. Of course being an A-body there were lots of other differences such as a different vent line shield design, etc.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 12:45 AM

Here's a low mile, not messed with 71 340 Demon, LA built, california sold.

With clamps.

Attached picture 7902903-71Demon340_12_22_12Sm27.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 01:34 AM

It appears that you are looking at the one line that is the fuel line, the vent lines are hidden behind it and likely don't have clamps? Have any other pics?

Here is my example, one clamp is missing because I just removed it and replaced the hose for a picture without the old clamp (you can see the indented area where the second clamp had been), the shield had never been off my car before I removed it for this pic, it was untouched with unbroken factory undercoating on all of the bolts that retained it. Also, none of the vent lines were KV hose, they were more generic looking with dimensions and other codes printed on them, they were so nice I cleaned and reused them.

Attached picture 7902967-1971DusterFuelVentLinesC.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 01:38 AM

B

Attached picture 7902970-1971DusterFuelVentLinesB.jpg

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 01:38 AM

c

Attached picture 7902972-1971DusterFuelVentLinesCoverArea.jpg
Posted By: fc7freak

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 02:39 AM

Scott Here are a couple of shots of my Duster

Attached picture 7903087-100_1188.JPG
Posted By: fc7freak

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 02:41 AM

One more

Attached picture 7903090-100_1187.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 02:57 AM

Interesting! Must have come two ways. Can you post your fender tag info?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 03:32 AM

Quote:

It appears that you are looking at the one line that is the fuel line, the vent lines are hidden behind it and likely don't have clamps? Have any other pics?....

Good point. That is my only pictures. Troy might remember though.
Posted By: Troy

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/28/13 08:54 PM

I had clamps on my car.
Posted By: A12

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/29/13 07:44 AM

Which side of the trunk lid is the jack instructions on an LA built '69 B-body driver's or passenger's or center?
Posted By: can.al

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 10/29/13 05:14 PM

i have started to remove the undercoating on my'69 Dart.
The front wheel wells are black paint under the undercoating and yellow over spray under the black paint.
The rear wheel wells are just yellow over spray under the undercoating.
Would this be a case of standard blackout paint on the front wheel wells only, prior to receiving the full undercoating or would it suggest the under coating was not factory and was applied after the car was purchased?I have not started the floors yet.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/01/13 12:09 AM

I pulled the tank from my car and found this between the pad and the tank... Is this a tank part number tag????

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/04/13 11:41 AM

Anyone help with identifying this tag????

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/05/13 03:40 AM

b

Attached picture 7912509-Undercar5.JPG

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/05/13 03:50 AM

Quote:

I pulled the tank from my car and found this between the pad and the tank... Is this a tank part number tag????

What car?

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/05/13 03:53 AM

My 70 U code Challenger R/T.

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/05/13 03:56 AM

Barry, thanks. I figured it was... Just curious.
Posted By: Baller

Re: LA built cars, lets find out more, More info needed. - 11/05/13 05:28 PM

Seems that the hole in the firewall for the AG vacuum lines on a '70 GTX/RR is located in a different location compared to cars from other plants. See arrow on 1st photo. Some guy also signed the back of my glovebox as well:

[image][/image]

[image][/image]
© 2024 Moparts Forums