Moparts

Dash fire

Posted By: Dotman

Dash fire - 11/05/10 04:54 PM

Had a pretty severe dash fire in the '69 Dart. The wiring harness went up and took most of the soft plastic and rubber with it. We were literally seconds from loosing it, but luckily we didn't. I know there's some information regarding this and how to prevent it in the future. Can anybody point me in the right direction to that info? Thanks!
Dennis
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Dash fire - 11/05/10 05:04 PM

The usual culprit is the ammeter and wiring. Not a real good design from the factory if you ask me. The good news is that you can buy a new reproduction harness.

You may want to consider switching to voltmeter and elimiating the ammeter. You can still retain the gauge in the dash. Not sure what type of car you have-is it an original style restoration??

MB
Posted By: Dotman

Re: Dash fire - 11/05/10 05:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.
My understanding, too, is that it has to do with the ammeter. I have another uncut / unmolested factory harness ready to go. I just need to cover all my bases, hence the request for information.
Posted By: CHRYCOFAN

Re: Dash fire - 11/05/10 06:39 PM

Here's the mod a lot of people use....

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Butch
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Dash fire - 11/05/10 07:34 PM

Quote:

The usual culprit is the ammeter and wiring. Not a real good design from the factory if you ask me. The good news is that you can buy a new reproduction harness.

You may want to consider switching to voltmeter and elimiating the ammeter. You can still retain the gauge in the dash. Not sure what type of car you have-is it an original style restoration??

MB

Can you just leave a new voltmeter somewhere up under the dash so the ammeter can still be visually there in the dash cluster?
© 2024 Moparts Forums