Moparts

Painting pinch weld

Posted By: Mastershake340

Painting pinch weld - 10/02/10 05:01 PM

Looking for advice on painting the blackout on the pinchwelds of my '71 Challenger. Not masked off right? If I don't mask, I am concerned with overspray. Flat black or semi-gloss?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Painting pinch weld - 10/02/10 05:15 PM

Here's the E bodie factory print.....FG/BJ or 70-1 Cuda/Challenger, take note to G series (1971) body colors for omission of PW blackout

Mike

Attached picture 6228892-ebodiepwbo.JPG
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Painting pinch weld - 10/02/10 05:30 PM

Thanks!
I don't see GK6 on the list so I need the blackout.
I suppose putting some tape loosely on the horizontal body panel surface above the pinch weld before spraying would do the trick, allow a little bit of overspray to get on that surface, but not too much.
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Painting pinch weld - 10/02/10 07:29 PM

Thought it was supposed to be brushed on with a 2" brush?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Painting pinch weld - 10/02/10 07:32 PM

Both methods were used.

This one looks like a 4" brush was used, but I do not recall seeing anything that specifed what size to use anywhere.

Attached picture 6229098-Blackoutandstripes48.JPG
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Painting pinch weld - 10/02/10 07:45 PM

I remember seeing some bulletin posted on Moparts a while back specifying a brush.... BUT it might have been in reference to red paint on rear drums...
Posted By: burdar

Re: Painting pinch weld - 10/02/10 08:48 PM

I used SEM Trim Black for the rad and pinch weld blackout. It seems like a good quality paint that should last.
Posted By: ECS

Re: Painting pinch weld - 10/03/10 12:40 AM

Quote:

I suppose putting some tape loosely on the horizontal body panel surface above the pinch weld before spraying would do the trick, allow a little bit of overspray to get on that surface, but not too much.

Hi Brad,
If you look at the drawing provided by Mike you will notice the small exploded diagram that references the "over-spray" and what is "permissible". It would be impossible to get an "over-spray" pattern if a brush were being used. Also notice just to the right of that section, the only mention of applying paint with a "brush" is for the 27 model or Convertible body style. I have documented vehicles (other than Convertibles) that used the "brush on paint" application and have even seen BOTH methods used (contrasting sides) for the same vehicle! Sometimes the employees doing the paint jobs chose convenience over the intended engineering specifications. If you do not have your original to use for a format and are attempting to be factory correct, defaulting to the Chrysler engineering specifications should leave you technically accurate. Good Luck!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums