Moparts

E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars?

Posted By: m46rat

E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 03:17 PM

I have heard that these plastic shields were only used on cars with manual transmissions. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks All!
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 03:23 PM

My 72 340-4 ralley 727 trans car had one.
My 71 318-2 904 had one and the 70 318-2 904 had one
Posted By: anlauto

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 03:32 PM

Quote:

I have heard that these plastic shields were only used on cars with manual transmissions. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks All!

Yes the above statement is 100% in-correct. They only came on automatic cars

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 04:37 PM

Sorry Alan, that is what I meant! Anyways, is there any documentation that shows this or states it? An engineering drawing or???
Thanks again.
Posted By: burdar

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 04:49 PM

There was a 74 360 4-speed Cuda that won OE gold at the 2002 Nats that had a shield on it. That doesn't mean it was correct but, it did have one on it. There were a few other things on that car that didn't seem right but I didn't restore it so what do I know. That starter shield has been debated before. My 73 auto Challenger has one.

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 05:16 PM

I was unaware of this topic being discussed previously, do you have a link to the previous discussion, so there would be no need to rehash everything again.

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 05:24 PM

I don't have a link specifically. I do know it has been debated for a long time. Maybe not recently.

It would be fairly easy to tell just by looking at the mounting holes. 70 and maybe 71 used rivets to hold the shields on so it would be more difficult on those years. Later cars used screws. You should be able to tell if a screw had ever been threaded into those holes.

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 05:52 PM

Started Splash shields were screwed on in all years 1970-74.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 06:04 PM

Quote:

Starter Splash shields were screwed on in all years 1970-74.

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 06:12 PM

I learned something.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 06:19 PM

My first thoughts were the metal starter shields used on the starter for heat reduction to the starter on hemi e-body cars. So actucally the post is about the frame mounted starter water shield.

logan426
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 09/30/10 07:58 PM

my former 1970 challenger 340 did NOT have one.

the 1970 AAR cuda I'm working on now DID have one

Both are/were console auto
Posted By: BS27ROB

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/01/10 12:44 AM

Dwight,

I think the confusion is caused by most people refering to them as starter shields. They are actually transmission shields to protect the automatic trans linkage.

Cy
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/01/10 01:41 AM

Quote:

Dwight,

I think the confusion is caused by most people refering to them as starter shields. They are actually transmission shields to protect the automatic trans linkage.

Cy

Posted By: Purestocker

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/02/10 05:31 PM

The T/A AAR cars had a steel shield with the stapled on rubber and the others were plastic if I am not mistaken.

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/02/10 06:16 PM

Quote:

The T/A AAR cars had a steel shield with the stapled on rubber and the others were plastic if I am not mistaken.

Yes you're mistaken...E Bodies never had steel shields at all.

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/02/10 09:58 PM

Didn't the quick ratio steering cars have a different shield? I am just curious because I had a TA challenger that had a steel shield. was it OE? maybe not.
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/02/10 10:41 PM

I did not know this. I just bought one that looks like new off E-bay for my car. It is a 70 RT 4 Speed car so I guess I will not need it now. Oh well learn something new every day!
Posted By: mccannix

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/02/10 11:06 PM

Quote:

Didn't the quick ratio steering cars have a different shield? I am just curious because I had a TA challenger that had a steel shield. was it OE? maybe not.

I believe this to be correct, therefore

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/02/10 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This could be possible... I've worked on an original T/A and an original AAR...both were auto's and both had plastic shields, however they both had standard steering which was not fast ratio.

Re: E Body Starter shields, did they come on all cars? - 10/03/10 02:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This could be possible... I've worked on an original T/A and an original AAR...both were auto's and both had plastic shields, however they both had standard steering which was not fast ratio.

The Car I had was an auto with fast ratio steering, the shield was just like the A-body but the rubber was a bit different and stapled in a different spot than the A body, I will see if I can dig up a photo, It's been a while, Rich
© 2024 Moparts Forums