Moparts

Mod top mopars

Posted By: moparmat

Mod top mopars - 09/06/10 11:52 PM

Thinking of a paint scheme for my challenger.

I have considered a green with vinyl mod top, orange with gator top and houndstooth cloth/vinyl interior, or blue on blue with mod top. Maybe just a simple dark metallic red?

WHat do you guys think? looking for some opinions. Post some pictures!

I would like to do something unique that shouts 70's mopar rare!

Challenger R/T, 440 6-bbl with high impact colors and mod top vinyl. Interior would be hounds tooth or matching the floral mod top.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:13 AM

Either a ModTop or Gator grain would look awesome on your E bodie,...but be prepared to spend some coin for NOS Mod material,...Legendary has the Gator/reptile repro tops, but your looking at $1500 approx for a top,....while IMHO the ModTops are cool, be prepared for the snickers and odd looks ....the gator/reptile is a brownish/black color

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:17 AM

Here's some "Mod" for ya

Attached picture 6181310-mod-material-dart-200.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:18 AM

Attached picture 6181314-ModTopLogo.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:20 AM

Attached picture 6181318-mod-badge-close.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:22 AM

Were mod tops available on Dodge cars in 1970?
http://www.mooresmopars.com/modmaterial.html

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:23 AM

.....here's an owner's solution to a modern "ModTop",...this is a commercial wrap (decal) IIRC it cost the qwner approx $150 to have produced

Attached picture 6181324-modtp.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:23 AM

Quote:

Were mod tops available on Dodge cars in 1970?

YES
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:25 AM

Mod tops were Plymouth only.

Dodge had floral tops, but none for 1970 cars.

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:28 AM

Quote:

Mod tops were Plymouth only.

Dodge had floral tops, but none for 1970 cars.

Opps! your right Barry,...Plymouths only, ...but the OP is free to customize his car, how he sees fit IMO

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:34 AM

But then again a "Dealer Installed" Modtop could have been performed in 1970 on a Dodge?

Attached picture 6181356-ModTopvandyke.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:41 AM

Here's the only known Camaro, documented with a dealer installed "ModTop" back in the day,...not just a Mopar thang

Attached picture 6181377-modtopcamaro.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 12:42 AM

Attached picture 6181380-modtopbird.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 01:07 AM

Thanks guys!

I really want something rare and unique! Apparently gator is much more rare than the floral mod tops. How many orange 1970 Chally's have you seen with a gator top? How many green 1970 Chally's have you seen with the mod top? not to mention the interior options I would like to throw in.

According to the Mod Top Registry, Mopar was planning to produce Dodge models for 1970 with green floral mod tops. The gator grain was a 1970 option according to Legendary and Mod Top Registry.

Scroll down to the green on the Mod Top Registry link.

(Closeup of the V1H section that was uncovered):

Thus, at one point, Ma MoPar was thinking about offering the V1H ModTop on the 1970 Challengers and Darts! Wonder what changed their minds? Could have been Extra Hemi Groovy!

Basically, if I wanted to be period correct for the make and model my only option would be the gator. BUT! WHAT IF MOPAR HAD THE OPTION FOR GREEN FLORAL IN 1970?! COOL.

I really like the gator. It has class with style and sophistication. The green says groovy sychadelic 70's. Its a toss up.

I like the vinyl decal idea to save weight! I doubt the gator would turn out well.

Also, I would like the interior to have the mod top inserts (floral). If I decided to go with the gator (brown) I would go with orange on black with orange plaid inserts similar to houndstooth!

So my 2 choices so far are as follows:

1. Period correct. - Orange on black with plaid orange inserts and brown gator top. Would it look like a Reese's peices bar?

2. What if? - Sassy grass green on black with green vinyl mod top and seat inserts.

A few other considerations were black on black with ??? mod top, Blue on blue with blue mod top, or go completely off the globe with a red creation of my own. Hmmmmm.... Maybe metallic red with black gator top? What would I do for the interior?

This car is being built to close but not exact f.a.s.t class rules. It deffinately wont be a show winning car with all the factory tags and markings but as close to stock appearing show room as my budget will allow.

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 01:11 AM

I appologize. FLORAL TOPS.

I would prefer the brighter colors. The mod tops look a little duller than the floral tops. For example, The green floral top as opposed to the blue mod top.

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 01:13 AM

What would I do for the interior?

Attached picture 6181469-modinterior.jpg
Posted By: rrunner

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 01:17 AM

Quote:

Either a ModTop or Gator grain would look awesome on your E bodie,...but be prepared to spend some coin for NOS Mod material,...Legendary has the Gator/reptile repro tops, but your looking at $1500 approx for a top,....while IMHO the ModTops are cool, be prepared for the snickers and odd looks ....the gator/reptile is a brownish/black color

Legendary has the Plymouth Mod material, but not the Dodge floral material

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 01:17 AM

To keep weight down, skip the vinyl & go two-tone on the top. That is something that actually was available in 1970 on Chalengers, unlike the Floral top.

Include the painted butt stripe & you can get some really wild combinations. As one example;

Purple car, yellow top with a pink bumble bee stripe.

Top that with an orange interior & sear retinas the world over.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 01:42 AM

Do it up like this with a white (painted or vinyl) top and white interior.

http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/MofMapril2006.html

You could also get a yellow tail stripe on a Go-Mango orange car too.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID16064/images/EK2_V9Y.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/07/10 01:43 AM

Quote:

To keep weight down, skip the vinyl & go two-tone on the top. That is something that actually was available in 1970 on Chalengers, unlike the Floral top.

Include the painted butt stripe & you can get some really wild combinations. As one example;

I want something rare and unique. I could handle the brown/black/orange color scheme but purple, yellow, and pink?! It would look like a Skittles wrapper.

I would like to keep the same color through out the car. Orange car/orange inserts. blue car/blue top/blue inserts, green car/green top/green inserts. I think I want the interior to be black vinyl regardless of paint or vinyl top. Maybe a blue on blue with blue top and inserts....? You get the idea.

I love the wild unique combinations Mopar had! I Love that 1971 dodge demon thats competing in f.a.s.t! Black on orange!? LOVE IT.

Houndstooth inserts, mod/floral tops. WILD.

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/08/10 03:39 AM

Does anyone have pictures of each option for each make?

Dodge blue and green floral?

Plymouth blue, yellow mod tops?

Is that correct, Dodge was floral and Plymouth was the Mod Top? What colours did each offer?
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/08/10 03:47 AM

black with blue MODTOP dan

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/08/10 03:49 AM

Do you have pictures?
Posted By: ragtop

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/08/10 02:34 PM

Quote:

Did all Mod Tops come with the emblem or decal? Thanks.

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/08/10 11:05 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have pictures of each option for each make?

Dodge blue and green floral?

Plymouth blue, yellow mod tops?

Is that correct, Dodge was floral and Plymouth was the Mod Top? What colours did each offer?

Check out this site.
http://www.mooresmopars.com/modtops.html

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 12:26 AM

I can only find pictures of the yellow, and blue PLYMOUTH MODTOPS.

The site has a few cars with the GREEN DODGE FLORAL top. http://www.mooresmopars.com/modtop38.html

I only found one picture of the BLUE DODGE FLORAl top and it does not show much. http://www.mooresmopars.com/modtop62.html

I want to see what the blue Dodge top looks like.
Posted By: bp27

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 12:39 AM

Mybe golden reptile

Attached picture 6185324-dustertop018,1.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 12:40 AM

That looks like the 1970 blue Plymouth top to me.

See http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/imag...Accents0001.jpg

No vinyl top code on the Dart, so it was likely a custom install.

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 12:44 AM

The gator and tortoise is cool as well! The tortoise was only available on certain c-body cars. The gator was available in 1970 on the Challenger. Too bad the green Dodge floral top was not available for the same year although it was supposed to be.

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 01:12 AM

Quote:

I can only find pictures of the yellow, and blue PLYMOUTH MODTOPS.

The site has a few cars with the GREEN DODGE FLORAL top. http://www.mooresmopars.com/modtop38.html

I only found one picture of the BLUE DODGE FLORAl top and it does not show much. http://www.mooresmopars.com/modtop62.html

I want to see what the blue Dodge top looks like.

Green only for Dodge. Yellow and blue for Plymouth

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 01:41 AM

Thanks rrunner, Thats all I wanted to know.

So now what should be done?

The "what could have been" green with green floral Mod Top. What color interior?

OR

Orange on black with gator top, and orange houndstooth seat inserts.

Would the car be too "busy"?

Hmmm.... what about a stripe package? Shaker hood, power bulge hood, Maybe the T/A hood? A few cars sneaked out of assembly line with the T/A hood.

R/T big block 440-6, MAYBE a HEMI.

What do you all think?
Posted By: hemi_rtdave

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 02:03 AM

My Dad worked for Stouffer(sp.?) Chemical in Toronto from 67-71. His job was to run the production line of vinyl top material for GM and Chrysler vehicles. He kept these samples when they were asked to do a run of this stuff. He told told me the "film" with the pattern on it was sent to them from the states (new Jersey I think)and they applied the backing and a top coat. These samples have not seen the light of day.

Attached picture 6185551-moptop.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 02:06 AM

Grooovy baby!

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 02:26 AM

LOVE IT!

Thanks for sharing!

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 04:59 AM

.....that looks familiar

American Daisey

Attached picture 6185901-moptop.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 05:00 AM

Attached picture 6185904-mod4.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 05:03 AM

uh-oh.......

Attached picture 6185908-mod1.jpg

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/09/10 05:05 AM

Attached picture 6185909-modtopbigfoot.jpg
Posted By: carmak

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/15/10 10:34 PM

Quote:

.....here's an owner's solution to a modern "ModTop",...this is a commercial wrap (decal) IIRC it cost the qwner approx $150 to have produced

Is that available somewhere or was it a one of for that car?

I would love to put that on my green Coronet wagon!

Carmak
Riverside, Iowa
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/16/10 01:53 AM

Mike....I almost wet my pants when I looked at this harder...your funny

Attached picture 6198410-6185909-modtopbigfoot.jpg
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Mod top mopars - 09/16/10 03:16 AM

Look at the attachment and see the bumblebee stripe options for the Challenger. You can come up with some interesting combos such as:

- EV2 with DY3 painted top and stripe (or the inverse)
- FK5 with EK2 stripe (I've seen some, but how about adding the painted top too?)
- TX9 with any funky High Impact stripe and, perhaps, the same painted top
- BL1 with EK2 stripe and painted top

I think you get the idea! Maybe even look at some clothing of yours and see if there are some interesting combos that may match the paint codes of for the Challenger.

Attached picture 6198676-bumblebeestripes.jpg
Posted By: mbmopar

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/11/11 01:03 AM

i would like the name of the company that does the wraps as well, I am thinking of something and need that info, if anyone has it, much appreciated !!
Posted By: HemiDave

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/11/11 01:34 AM

Someone I know might have a 69 Cuda in VA that needs a LOT of work...original Mod Top car. Green with the yellow Mod Top material. Some of it still in the car. It comes with a parts car, too....it might be available...

Dave
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/11/11 01:48 AM

Quote:

Someone I know might have a 69 Cuda in VA that needs a LOT of work...original Mod Top car. Green with the yellow Mod Top material. Some of it still in the car. It comes with a parts car, too....it might be available...

Dave

Dave is it a notch? or a fastback

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/11/11 01:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Notch....not that I know anything about it....

Dave

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/11/11 04:46 AM

All Mod Tops were notchbacks.

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/11/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

All Mod Tops were notchbacks.

There was a factory brochure with a fastback 383 Cuda wearing a MoDTop, also wearing H-K recall wheels, seen it many,many,many years ago,...wether the factory ever made/released fastbacks with MoDTops is anybodies guess, as MaMopar did make exceptions to the rule as we all know
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/12/11 11:03 PM

Quote:

As one example;

Hey Barry,
I like it!

Ray
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/13/11 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Dave

340 S car?

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/14/11 02:07 AM

Quote:

There was a factory brochure with a fastback 383 Cuda wearing a MoDTop, also wearing H-K recall wheels, seen it many,many,many years ago,...wether the factory ever made/released fastbacks with MoDTops is anybodies guess, as MaMopar did make exceptions to the rule as we all know

I would be interested in seeing the photo. Production records indicate only coupes got the Mod Top option.

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/14/11 03:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Dave

340 S car?

Sorry, just a 318....so I hear....

Dave
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/14/11 04:12 PM

i need the blue/green for my coded 69 b5 satellite mop top car . last i checked (maybe a year ago) legendary does nt have it,, i need a top, and interior fabric,,, and if you have the 69 barracuda, modtop, id be interested in buying it,,, send me a pm,, with price, pics, location,, jeff c - ohio

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/14/11 06:02 PM

Quote:

i need the blue/green for my coded 69 b5 satellite mop top car . last i checked (maybe a year ago) legendary does nt have it,, i need a top, and interior fabric,,, and if you have the 69 barracuda, modtop, id be interested in buying it,,, send me a pm,, with price, pics, location,, jeff c - ohio

Check with www.laysons.com for blue/green mat'.l, it won't be "exact" for an OEM application, but close enough to get you buy, IIRC it was about $65 yrd, if Dave still has anymore left

Mike
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: Mod top mopars - 11/15/11 08:01 AM

I own the Bcuda MODTOP that was on the cover of Hemmings Classic Car for Nov '11(off the shelves now). Check Julie's MODTOP website listed earlier.

Attached picture 6920212-MODshoot.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums