Moparts

70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE

Posted By: anlauto

70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:34 PM

OK...
1970 Plymouth B Body with factory AIR GRABBER...
Is this the correct dash location?

Is the metal frame different, because there is not much room behind this switch hole location.

Attached picture 6171841-P1040498.JPG

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:35 PM

Backside...

Attached picture 6171843-P1040493.JPG

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:36 PM

This is all that I have for the switch...
What else am I missing?

Attached picture 6171846-P1040499.JPG

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:37 PM

PG Classics lists a "air grabber solenoid" in their catalog...Do I need that as well? Where does it mount?
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:41 PM

Looks about right. I haven't been behind my dash for 25 years though & have never touched the switch so not certain on the dash metal. Seems like there was a hole, though.

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:42 PM

Quote:

PG Classics lists a "air grabber solenoid" in their catalog...Do I need that as well? Where does it mount?

On top of the glove box, I think. Again, been so long...........

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:45 PM

OK, so my location looks right...I wonder if that "white block" of the switch screws directly to the metal frame?

Also (unrelated) If you don't want a map light, located just to the right of the heater controls, is there some sort of "block off plate" or something? Where could I get one of those?

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 07:56 PM

Quote:

OK, so my location looks right...I wonder if that "white block" of the switch screws directly to the metal frame?

Also (unrelated) If you don't want a map light, located just to the right of the heater controls, is there some sort of "block off plate" or something? Where could I get one of those?

My switch is really solid so it must be screwed to frame.

I don't have a light so yes, there is a block off plate. Bad picture though. Never looked for a repop one.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 08:03 PM

Quote:

A correctly placed want ad , it's a metal plate , at least in 68 and 69 it's metal.

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 08:15 PM

Rex
Is your glove box blue inside or black? I'm referring to the backside of the actual door?

John, thanks for that "want ad" tip

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 08:42 PM

I don't have a picture but, it's black. Not sure if it's paint or just unfinished plastic.

Also, the 'box' on top of my glovebox might have been part of the 8T player, now that I think back. I pulled radio out to replace belt, many years back.

The solenoid is keyed so when you shut the car off, it immediately starts the closing process, makes a hissing noise from bleed off when ag switch is in on position & car shut off.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 10:38 PM

Alan,

Backside of the door should be black. I have a spare maplight if you want it, but I used my only blank off plate....sorry.

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: 70SportSatellite

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/01/10 10:57 PM

Alan,

I may be mistaken but I thought the oval hole was for the reverse and air grabber switches? If this dash panel came out of a non grabber car they may have drilled the reverse hole offset.
Also, I believe the white block with the nipples is attached to the panel with the bezel screws.In other words, the plastic panel is sandwiched between the bezel and white block.
The solenoid was used to dump the air from the actuator when the car was shut off and the spring from the actuator bracket to the flap linkage would pull the door closed.
If you leave the solenoid out and leave the spring off the door will stay open when the car is shut off.

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 01:28 AM

I was told that the plastic bezel was an original, but I guess it's possible the steel frame has been changed
It would seem to me that the switch should be anchored to the steel frame for strength ?

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 02:28 AM

I'm pretty sure the switch is attached to the metal, actually kind of under the dash plastic. I'll be driving the 6bbl car to the airport tomorrow. I can crawl under there & take a look & let you know what I find when I get back tomorrow night.
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 02:47 AM

I have the dash out of my 70 RR airgrabber car now. took a photo. Does it help?

Attached picture 6172849-dash.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 02:48 AM

The lamp blockoff plate is common to 1968-70 B-body, At least I think it is. ( maybe even 66-67 to )

I'm no help on the switch part though

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 02:54 AM

the plot thickens....I don't believe I have that round hole next to the large oval

But I still don't quite understand how it all mounts together. It appears as if you don't have any additional screw holes

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 02:57 AM

there are some there.. bad photo. Wil take a couple more

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 03:04 AM

How is this I removed the airgrabber switch you have in our photo when I started striping it down. I tink I have photos of that as well.

Attached picture 6172896-dash2.jpg
Posted By: mr_belvedere

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 03:09 AM

JMC, If it isn't too much trouble, would it be possible for you to take measurements of the switch hole placement? (center of switch hole to reference point of your choosing)

I will be in need of this info also.

Thanks!

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/02/10 03:21 AM

not a problem. Gve me till tomorrow.

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/03/10 11:15 PM

I just couldn't get a good look from the back at the hole in the metal but, I took the bezel off. Those 2 screws are just short & screw directly into the plastic dash. The switch comes in from the backside of the metal & I could see one of what looked more like a bolt-type head, screw. You couldn't replace the switch without the plastic dash being out of the way first because there's no way to get to the screws that hold it. Anyway, the switch is definitely bolted to the metal and there has to be at least a 3/4- 1" hole for the lever to come through.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 12:23 AM

The pic posted by JMCFAN is correct of what the mounting hole should look like. The switch mounts directly to the metal frame. The 2 holes on the plastic dash cover are just for the plastic "air Grabber" bezel.
If you don't have a map light your car will have a metal block off plate. I may have an extra.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 02:08 AM

You are missing the solenoid as shown here, plus all the plumbing. The solenoid mounts to the right side of the switch body.
PM me if you want to save on the PG repro price and go with an original as shown..

Attached picture 6176482-solenoid.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 02:10 AM

.....oh, and your dash bezel is correct

Attached picture 6176485-agbezel.jpg
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 03:00 AM

i have a template for the metal dash hole and screw holes with size,pm me if you need them and i'll have it for you tomorrow,switch mounts to metal frame,bezel only is mounted on plastic dash,switch is kinda off set,meaning that when put in frame toggle kinda angles towards the DRIVER,i mounted the set up im my 70 runner non air grabber and with the template from a older member(b body bob)everything went perfect.pm me if i can be of any help

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 03:27 AM

Just to clarify...
The white plastic switch mounts on the backside of the metal dash frame with two screws...
NOT on the outside between the metal frame and plastic bezel.

The bezel mounts to the plastic using two more screws.

Where does the solenoid go?

Terry I could take you up on the offer, but now I only need the solenoid. How do you tell if used ones work?

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 03:42 AM

Quote:

Just to clarify...
The white plastic switch mounts on the backside of the metal dash frame with two screws...
NOT on the outside between the metal frame and plastic bezel.
Yes from behind, but I don't know how many screws hold it, can't see.

The bezel mounts to the plastic using two more screws.
Yes

Where does the solenoid go?
Close to ashtray, again can't see up there very well. I would think a FSM would show it

Posted By: Finoke

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 12:50 PM

Does anybody mind if I hi jack a lil bit?

As long as the topic is 70 B body dash education..

My 70 RR vert came with 2 indicators. Seatbelt and reverse.

Could this be possible? It looks factory but someone told me that Seat belt would only be 71 and up?

Attached picture 6177001-24.JPG

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 12:52 PM

Here's a better pic...

Attached picture 6177004-RR550.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 02:01 PM

No problem hijacking...We're all on this flight together..
Just don't say..."i have a bome" ... (bomb)

Does your car have some sort of "Deluxe" seat beat option..

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 02:54 PM

Quote:

Terry I could take you up on the offer, but now I only need the solenoid. How do you tell if used ones work?

I've never seen a used one fail unless one of the plastic tabs is broken or the wiring lets go.
More chance of Sum Yung Gy building them overseas for PG Classic not putting one together right.
You'll also need a fitting like this on the engine.

Attached picture 6177153-fitting.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 03:28 PM

On this closer view of the dash frame that JMCFAN supplied you can see the two screw holes on the frame by the large round opening. That is where the switch is screwed onto. Only two of the 4 holes on the switch body, the recessed ones, are used.
Just to the right of that about 6 inches and a bit lower, you can see the two screw holes where the solenoid is screwed to.
A 70 solenoid has a green 18" wire with a spade connector that goes down to the fuse box bottom.

Not that it applies here, but a 71-72 solenoid is attached to the switch body via an angled metal bracket and has a bullit male end on the green wire that plugs into a 3 outlet yellow female harness plug

Attached picture 6177211-panel.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've never seen a used one fail unless one of the plastic tabs is broken or the wiring lets go.
More chance of Sum Yung Gy building them overseas for PG Classic not putting one together right.
You'll also need a fitting like this on the engine.

On my rr that manifold fitting has the large central vac nipple for pb & the small side one, not the 2, 5/16" nipples. Wonder what a non-pb car fitting looked like?

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 03:37 PM

Quote:

No problem hijacking...We're all on this flight together..
Just don't say..."i have a bome" ... (bomb)

Does your car have some sort of "Deluxe" seat beat option..

I'm not sure. The car came without the belts and there is no build sheet.

Nothing special is designated on the fender tag except buckets with console.
Posted By: coffeeman383

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 06:49 PM

Finoke- Here is a 70 RR Convertible with auto trans and C15 deluxe seatbelts. Notice the single light. I believe (but not sure) you would get the seat belt light with the deluxe belts. This is the only RR Covert I have seen with deluxe belts.

Attached picture 6177506-RADIO.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 06:53 PM

Same car, deluxe seat belts (button style). The C15 would be window sticker or build sheet only (not on the tag).

Also notice that this car has the wrong door panels (standard non-RR decor)???

Attached picture 6177514-FRONTSEAT2.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 07:01 PM

One more, window sticker with the C15 code.

Finoke- Do you have paint yet?

Attached picture 6177525-STICKER.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 07:32 PM

Quote:

Same car, deluxe seat belts (button style). The C15 would be window sticker or build sheet only (not on the tag).

Also notice that this car has the wrong door panels (standard non-RR decor)???

Good info Coffeeman!

No paint yet. But the body work is progressing. They are about half way there. The bodywork on the entire rear half of the exterior is done.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 08:29 PM

As I recall the actual air grabber switch is mounted from the outward side of the dash frame.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE *DELETED* - 09/04/10 08:37 PM

Post deleted by 70runner
Posted By: 70runner

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 08:38 PM

solenoid - the green wire connects to the "accessory" spade in the fuze box

Attached picture 6177647-Solenoid.jpg

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/04/10 11:04 PM

Odd the screw holes for the actual switch are opposite on the last picture from the first

You almost think one switch would be in upside down
Posted By: A70Runner

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/12/10 04:21 AM

Does anyone have the measurments on where to place the switch? Someone posted it a few years ago and I cannot find the copy of it I kept.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/12/10 06:02 AM

Here are a couple photos of the switch mounting dims...

Attached picture 6191334-P1010029.JPG

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/12/10 06:03 AM

picture #2...

Attached picture 6191336-P1010030.JPG

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/12/10 06:04 AM

picture #3... I have more...PM me if you need them.

Attached picture 6191337-P1010031.JPG
Posted By: Moparmatty

Re: 70 B Body Education : Dash PLEASE - 09/21/10 07:12 PM

Quote:

You are missing the solenoid as shown here, plus all the plumbing. The solenoid mounts to the right side of the switch body.
PM me if you want to save on the PG repro price and go with an original as shown..

Terry. You've got way too much stuff that would fit on my car. LOL!
© 2024 Moparts Forums