Moparts

AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!!

Posted By: Transamcuda

AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 05:33 AM

I found a road test article on a T/A Challenger from Hi-Performance Cars magazine, August 1970 In the road test article there is a pic of the engine compartment which clearly shows the crankcase breather is a 2 nipple one. Scanned this pic

Heres a scan of the cover incase someone wanted to look for the magazine.

Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 06:19 AM

Interesting. It is hard to tell from your scan, but are you sure it's not a 3 nipple breather (CA car)?

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 06:42 AM

No its not. I held all 3 of them in the same positon as the pic and if it was a 3 nipple you would see the third nipple in the middle. the red circle in the pic is bigger of the 2 nipples. I will try and blow that section up to show it better for the doubters, not saying you but im sure some of the parts book know it alls will question it.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 06:48 AM

One of the things I have always said about this is... Unless you knew your car from new its hard to tell which one your car came with. From what I have been able to tell it all comes down to whether or not your carbs had a center bowl vent from the factory. There are too many unknowns on this one and until we find some kind of paper trail or a time line for a change that occured its a personal call for the person restoring his/her car.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 06:53 AM

Hope this is better.

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 07:13 AM

I bought mine in 1973 from a guy who did not know anything about cars, so i doubt that he would have changed it...and mine has breather with a single nipple...

the hose coming of the center carb vent just shot straigh out and stopped next to the edge of the air cleaner..

the car was sold in Atlanta, ...believe it was Burns chryser plymouths...
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 02:37 PM

Wow! That's amazing!!! I didn't even know you could say nipples on Moparts.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 02:45 PM

hmm... very interesting, Thanks for posting!

Tav
Posted By: moparo

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 03:02 PM

I think the extra hose on the breather is related to the state the car was built for, but more interesting is the NIPPLE off the brake booster. T/A cars normally had the straight one. This must be a very early car. Great pictures
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 03:58 PM

Quote:

I think the extra hose on the breather is related to the state the car was built for, but more interesting is the NIPPLE off the brake booster. T/A cars normally had the straight one. This must be a very early car. Great pictures

Probably depends on when the article was actually written, with an Aug 1970 dated issue, anythings possibile. Could either be a press release car or maybe even pilot car., OR just a simple production car
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 05:07 PM

Jeff,have you ever seen a T/A-AAR with a center bowl without the bowl vent tube?Of all the small block 6pk carbs I have seen/done,I have yet to see one.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 06:03 PM

Check out the leaky valve cover at the fill cap.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 07:16 PM

Quote:

Jeff,have you ever seen a T/A-AAR with a center bowl without the bowl vent tube?Of all the small block 6pk carbs I have seen/done,I have yet to see one.

Yes I have and that is why I try and explain to people who contact me and ask which is correct. Without any type of paper trial or a solid explanation as to why things were done the way they were you cant say this particular item is set in stone. Too many variances.. I.E. different people assembling the engines, different guys handling the cars at the dealership, etc. etc. Maybe the guys on first shift thought the hose coming off the center bowl vent looked cooler just exiting to the side 3 or 4 iunches rather than connecting it to the crankcase breather. while the guys on 2nd shift did it their way. This could possibly be like the chin spoilers. it all depended on who was putting them on. Even though there was a certain way the chin spoilers were supposed to be mounted the guys prepping the cars put them on the way they thought they looked the best. Same could possibly be for this. but we may never know for sure until we find some solid proof.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/21/08 07:18 PM

Quote:

I think the extra hose on the breather is related to the state the car was built for

I would say this only applies to the N95 cars having the 3 nipple breather. One other thing I forgot to mention was it may also have been a supply issue with Holley Carbs too. This si why I keep looking and asking questions about this. Im hoping to find answers to the questions.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 12:59 AM

I think I can see a third nipple in the yellow oval.

Attached picture 4634650-ccb2.jpg

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 01:06 AM

closer up...

Attached picture 4634663-0001.jpg

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 02:32 AM

I had to do some digging to find this. It is from the 1970 Plymouth technical service bulletin
No. 70-25-8 "Maintenance schedule and parts information for the AAR Cuda". It is dated May 7, 1970.

Note the underlined sections, where "hose" and "nipple" are mentioned, both are singular, not plural.

It is the only Chrysler document I have seen that mentions the breather on an AAR. Does anyone else have a similar TSB for the T/A? If so, I would love to see it.

Barry

Attached picture 4634912-aartsbbreathertext.jpg

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 03:56 AM

Quote:

I think I can see a third nipple in the yellow oval.

Ya its right by the guy on the grassy knoll!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 02:34 PM

2 nipples makes more sense than 3 or i. there were two connections to be made. one at the air cleaner and one at the fuel bowl vent. I dont care WHAT came from the factory. if it needs 2, I want two. if there was an additional vapor line, I'd get three.

right now I have the single. so where do I find the 2 nipple breather? my fuel bowl vent has been capped
Posted By: Troy

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 02:52 PM

.....I vote for three!!

cucu,don't cap off the nipple on the carb. It could cause fuel starving on the top end.

Attached picture 4635657-engine1063(Medium).jpg

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 03:08 PM

Here is a breather that I got from Napa. In the instruction sheet it says "When used on a 1970, 1971 Plymouth T/A and Dodge AAR Barracuda cap off nipples that are not needed.

Attached picture 4635690-Breather.jpg
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 03:47 PM

Wow... that thing has more nipples hangin' out than a strip club...
Posted By: RareTA

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 04:47 PM

Mine has two.

Attached picture 4635906-egn_016302(Medium).jpg
Posted By: Moparman440

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 05:04 PM

Quote:

Here is a breather that I got from Napa. In the instruction sheet it says "When used on a 1970, 1971 Plymouth T/A and Dodge AAR Barracuda cap off nipples that are not needed.

Now that was funny. Thanks for the laugh !

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 07:38 PM

Quote:

Wasnt there a guy in Ca. sellign NOS ones of those Troy??!! :P

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 08:15 PM

Quote:

Mine has two.

Any idea if it came that way from the factory?
Did it have two on it when you found it?
Have you traced the history?

Tav

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wasn't there a guy in Ca. selling NOS ones of those Troy??!! :P

Yes there was!! But I sold this repop one to a guy in Santa Barbara CA. with the initials D.F. It was the only way to make him happy.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 10:04 PM

Quote:

.....I vote for three!!

cucu,don't cap off the nipple on the carb. It could cause fuel starving on the top end.

doesnt the vent also go to the stud hole in the center of the carbs air horn? so even if it was capped off the gas would vent there?

I'll have to check mine. I thought thats the way hollys were made

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/22/08 10:29 PM

If you block off that nipple you can starve the bowl of fuel.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 01:18 AM

Quote:

I think you're wrong on that one.If you replace the bowl with the standard bowl with the rubber vent cap on the same carb,you would basicly have the same carb without a vent tube.Also,some 69 1/2 and early 70's big block carbs have no venting at all.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 06:20 AM

....don't the 69 1/2 center carb have a flapper door on top of the bowl??

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 11:50 AM

Quote:

....don't the 69 1/2 center carb have a flapper door on top of the bowl??

Some do,some don't.All 69 1/2"s.

Attached picture 4637557-MVC-012S.JPG
Posted By: A0M397X

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 02:28 PM

Here is a picture of a car that was discussed a few months back. 6K original miles. This breather looks similar.

Also of interest to me in this magazine car is the valve cover. There were discussions about the different part numbers for the AAR/TA valve cover as opposed to the standard 340. From the limited view here, this passenger side one seems to have the loom mount on the valve cover top further back as would be expected of the AAR/TA specific type.

Attached picture 4637726-TruckandDodge014.jpg
Posted By: RareTA

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 02:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine has two.

Any idea if it came that way from the factory?
Did it have two on it when you found it?
Have you traced the history?

Tav

I cannot honestlly say. The guy I got the car from had it since 73 and had many different engines in it over the years. He had it till 1990 when I bought it from him. It was never painted but he did hold on to the origional engine. When I got it the OEM engine was setting on his shop floor and another junkyard 340 was in the bay also blowen up. The valve covers on it now were the ones that were on it when I bought it. But it must be taken with a grain of salt 'cause who knows after this many years and engine changes.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 04:32 PM

Quote:

There were discussions about the different part numbers for the AAR/TA valve cover as opposed to the standard 340.

That is another misleading item from the parts book. Just because the parts book list something doesnt mean its gospel. Theres TONS of stuff the parts book lists that they never even made or used, but its in there. a few years ago Jerry Lebar was nice enough to let me use his AAR to show that there is no difference or clearence issues. In fact at the time I had 3 different types of 70 340 valve covers and the differences between them is actually an inch or less. I have seen many original untouched cars and I have seen both versions time and time again. Not to hijack my own thread but I will post a few of those pix. This is another example of a thread discussion that has been discussed over and over again and should have been archived for times like this.

Attached picture 4637943-cover4.JPG

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 04:33 PM

Attached picture 4637947-cover5.JPG

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 04:34 PM

Attached picture 4637948-cover6.JPG

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 04:38 PM

Attached picture 4637957-cover11.JPG

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 04:42 PM

The wire trough on the bottom was broken off but you tell by the spot welds its placement was different than the top one. This was actually the valve cover off Jerry Lebars AAR. I let him borrow one of mine till he finds one to replace it.

Attached picture 4637963-cover12.JPG

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/23/08 04:44 PM

Attached picture 4637968-covers5.jpg

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/25/08 12:11 PM

Quote:

i checked my center carb this weekend. the line that goes to the fuel bowl vent also goes thru a rectangular port in the center of the metering block and straight to the hole in the front center of the carbs ait horn. so theres a vent there all the time.

I figured that out years ago when I first capped off the vent line on the side. I diidnt want gas to pour out onto a hot manifold if the needle got stuck open.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/25/08 02:31 PM

And the test car in question has the 340 six pack decal on the wrong side (left side decal installed on the right side). As for the breather, my T/As, puchased in the late seventies always had the single nipple.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/26/08 04:51 AM

Quote:

And the test car in question has the 340 six pack decal on the wrong side (left side decal installed on the right side).

Thats kind of common though. Theres a handful of cars known to have this.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/26/08 03:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And the test car in question has the 340 six pack decal on the wrong side (left side decal installed on the right side).

Thats kind of common though. Theres a handful of cars known to have this.

Known to have happened at the factory, yes, but very rare occurances. NOS decals are clearly marked (I still have a set of originals from 1980).

Much more common as a restoration error.

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/26/08 04:15 PM

So could this clue along with the registry enable us to track this car to its present location today and have a good look at the current breather?

I'm sure the owner would love to have a copy of that article.

Tav

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/26/08 06:29 PM

how much do these 2 nipple breathers go for? are they being repopped?
Posted By: moparman383

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/26/08 06:35 PM

I hate it when I can't find the 3rd nipple...

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/26/08 07:06 PM

Quote:

I hate it when I can't find the 3rd nipple...

Posted By: Kirby

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/27/08 02:18 PM

My recently EX-gf had a third nipple- Strange

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 08/27/08 03:43 PM

3 nipple

Attached picture 4645932-Cow_Nipple_Feeding_Bottle.jpg
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 09/05/08 01:19 AM

I'm all nippled out after reading all this
Posted By: HemiOrangeTA

Re: AAR and T/A Guys Check It Out!!!! - 09/09/08 04:25 PM

Hey TransAmCuda,

Can you scan and post the entire road test article for our reading pleasure?
© 2024 Moparts Forums