Moparts

E-body under dash questions

Posted By: burdar

E-body under dash questions - 08/21/10 03:42 AM

When the antenna wire comes through into the interior, how does it route after that? Does it lay on the top of the heater coar or is it held in place somehow?

When the speedometer cable comes through the firewall where should it go? To the left of the steering colomb bracket or through the center of that bracket?

Finally, I bought all new insulation last weekend. Inside the package of kick panel insulation was a third piece. Is that just a scrap piece or does it go somewhere? It's oddly shaped and looks more like firewall insulation than anything. Thanks
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/21/10 07:05 AM

Antenna wire was clipped to the bottom portion of the dash..

Speedo cable was routed through the center area of the column support..

Got a picture of the insulation..

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/21/10 07:18 AM

So I can just lay the antenna cable ontop of the heater box for now and hook it to the dash as it's being installed?

Does anyone have a pic of how the speedo cable gets routed? I have some reference pics but the speedo cable isn't installed in any of them.

Here's a pic of the insulation.

Attached picture 6150996-P1010011.JPG
Posted By: Swiss_Robert

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/23/10 09:51 AM

May be I've got the same package with kick-panel insulation? I have mine from Year One.

This third piece goes directly under the driver side kick panel, between metal body frame and plastic moulding, covering the door hinge area. The one small screw, that holds the kick-panel, goes through it...

I know that cause I kept the old one (when I had this new part in my fingers I've had the same idea to ask here in the forum where it goes to ). There is no "shape" that will fit this part and make it obvious where it exactly goes... it's some kind of "free flowing". On your pic it's upside down, the one corner off is because the park brake pedal.

But the worse thing is, there is SUCH A PIECE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE TOO, a fourth piece, which is not in the kit!

IF my car had those insulation right before I took it off.

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/23/10 10:05 AM

Dont' really want to steal that thread but...

Where are the ventilation control cables routed? Heat and defrost cable going THROUGH the column bracket? The driver side vent cable - goes OVER the bracket??

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/23/10 04:44 PM

Can you post a pic of that insulation in its correct position on the car please?

I had the same question reguarding the cables. Two cables from the passengers side go through the center of the steering colom bracket. The fresh air cable from the drivers side goes up over the top of the colom bracket.(between the bracket and the underside of the cowl)

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/23/10 09:27 PM

Here a pic. Looked for them again - they fit into the plastic kickpanels, both of them. And the small screw on each side goes NOT through the insulation (in my car they were not quite correctly installed) but they have a recess for that (you'll see the screw-hole, if you look carefully).

I have absolutely no idea, why they sell this kit with only three parts and leave the fourth part away .

I'll have to use the old one on the passenger side...

Attached picture 6154986-23082010753.jpg

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/23/10 09:50 PM

Thanks for that pic. It's exactly what I needed.

When you have time, could you take some measurements of the passengers side piece? I've got a scrap section of insulation from the firewall kit that might be big enough.

The hole for the blower motor and heater hoses isn't completely cut out of the firewall insulation. It's just perferated. That scrap piece might be big enough to make the missing passengers side one.

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/24/10 08:45 AM

Quote:

I've got a scrap section of insulation from the firewall kit that might be big enough.

The hole for the blower motor and heater hoses isn't completely cut out of the firewall insulation. It's just perferated. That scrap piece might be big enough to make the missing passengers side one.

Nope, sorry to destroy your hope. Had the same idea... is too small

You can make "a" piece that may cover the door hinge cavern...

The genuine piece is not rectangular. Biggest width is 7 3/8" (at bottom), heigth is 8 1/2".

Width at top is 6". The lower part up to the recess for the screw is 4 1/2" heigth, there width is 7 1/4" (cause it's not rectangular).

Attached picture 6156082-24082010754.jpg
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: E-body under dash questions - 08/24/10 05:28 PM

Good info here. Thanks guys!

Tav
Posted By: 71TA

Re: E-body under dash questions - 04/08/11 12:07 PM

Quote:

Here a pic. Looked for them again - they fit into the plastic kickpanels, both of them. And the small screw on each side goes NOT through the insulation (in my car they were not quite correctly installed) but they have a recess for that (you'll see the screw-hole, if you look carefully).

I have absolutely no idea, why they sell this kit with only three parts and leave the fourth part away .

I'll have to use the old one on the passenger side...

Does anyone have one of these missing pieces so I can create it?
Posted By: mopar346

Re: E-body under dash questions - 09/24/13 01:20 AM

Did anyone cure this issue? I just got a kit from Dante and I believe it only has 3 pieces. I haven't opened it yet so I could be wrong.

Re: E-body under dash questions - 09/24/13 07:50 AM

Hah ! Wouldn't be surprised if not... still three pieces, I bet!

Oh boy: My car's still on jacks and is still not back on the road... shame on me! Haven't done anything for about two years...

Re: E-body under dash questions - 09/24/13 05:57 PM

Don't feel bad, I went about 10 years without working on mine. I am back at it now though, hopefully for the duration. I made a few commitments to have it at a few shows next summer so time to put up or shut up.

I could see the spare piece serving the purpose with a little modification, wont be the exact size but how many people are gonna see it in the first place.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: E-body under dash questions - 09/24/13 07:01 PM

I sent my original insulation to Jim at Detroit Muscle, contact him and he should be able to hook you up on the missing piece, as he made one for me from the piece I sent
Posted By: 66HP2

Re: E-body under dash questions - 09/24/13 11:56 PM

the antenna cable clips to the back of the glove box

Re: E-body under dash questions - 09/25/13 01:45 AM

Quote:

I sent my original insulation to Jim at Detroit Muscle, contact him and he should be able to hook you up on the missing piece, as he made one for me from the piece I sent

That's about normal, I order something from them today. Thanks though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums