Moparts

'69 Charger 500 Color change question

Posted By: MCTPhoenix

'69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/16/08 11:47 PM

OK in the next few weeks I'll have to decide whether to paint it original green or make it blue like I've always wanted. The numbers matching 440 car is on the roticierrie and about ready for color. Question is which blue's were available on the 500. I'd at least like to pick one that was available. Thanks !
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 12:26 AM

EB5 blue was one. green happens to be my favorite color, and I think it looks freakin sweet on the charger 500's. I would personally paint it green again, but its your car and not mine (unless youd want to sell it for a couple hundred )
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 01:41 AM

I wouldn't change the color either, but you have to live with it.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 01:47 AM

What green is it? THat could make a big difference to me.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 02:14 AM

The "greens" available on '69 Dodge Chargers early in the model year were:
F3 - "light green metallic",
F5 - "medium green metallic",
F8 - "dark green metallic".

The "blues" available on Dodge Chargers in '69 were:
B3- "light blue metallic",
B5 - "bright blue metallic",
B7 - "meduium blue metallic".

It would be hard for me to change the color on a car as significant as a Charger 500; most greens look good when recently done.
Green isn't on my list of favorite colors either; both my '70 GTX "lime light" & Challenger R/T "light green metallic" will stay GREEN.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 03:52 AM

This car is F8 with matching interior and the white stripe across the rump. There are TWO other F8 green 500's here in Arizona, a 440 auto car and the other with a hemi and 4 speed. Getting all three together would be interesting... but very green. I'll probably end up selling it soon after it's done. I've always wanted a wing car and selling this will be the only avenue towards getting one. ( I think B5 with white interior is sounding pretty good )
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 04:30 AM

Quote:

I'll probably end up selling it soon after it's done.

If this is the case then I would HIGHLY reccomend against a color change, you will lose a BUNCH of potential buyers in doing so which leads to getting less for the car.

If it were mine......Restore it and sell it (in it's original colors) or leave it as is and sell it as a project, then go buy something else in a color you like better.

Posted By: Ray440

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 06:16 AM

There's a F8 HEMI 4sp in New York as well.

Attached picture 4624210-100_5250.JPG
Posted By: Ray440

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 06:16 AM

engine compartment.

Attached picture 4624212-100_5251.JPG
Posted By: cdp

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 01:01 PM

Change it! My 71 GTX, ALL #'s matching was originally gold with amber gold interior. I changed it to Sassy Grass green with white interior and sold it right away just a few weeks ago.

People look past green cars (except high impact)
all the time. But, it was R4 or R6 red or B5, they stop and look. Same way if you expect to sell it to someone for an investment.

I had a 70-340 Dart that was F8 and I painted it F1. I was glad I did, I loved the yellow paint. It really stood out.

I like F5 and F8 green, its just not a good seller or investment grade color.

Have a tag made for the gawkers and keep the original.

Attached picture 4624355-1971gtx-1970dart015.jpg

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 01:45 PM

I have to resprectfully disagree with a few of those statements. Some one looking ot urchase a car of that caliber will care greatly about originality and move on to the next car. That buyer is not just someone looking for a cool car at a reasonable price, they are a specific buyer. The other statement I guess I am just misunderstanding entirely, "Have a tag made for the gawkers and keep the original." You would lose a significant amount of money selling any high dollar car without a fender tag. This isn't a 318 Coronet 500 (no offense to anyone) its 69 Charger 500, and much of the value of that kinda car is documentation.
Posted By: xs29j8

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 01:58 PM

Quote:

This car is F8 with matching interior and the white stripe across the rump. There are TWO other F8 green 500's here in Arizona, a 440 auto car and the other with a hemi and 4 speed. Getting all three together would be interesting... but very green. I'll probably end up selling it soon after it's done. I've always wanted a wing car and selling this will be the only avenue towards getting one. ( I think B5 with white interior is sounding pretty good )

I agree with those saying a color change is a mistake if you are planning to sell the car... it will hurt the value.

You might ask the question in the Aero Car forum at DodgeCharger.Com an see what other C500/Aero Car owners think:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,26.0.html

BTW, I am restoring a B-5 Blue 1969 Charger 500 at this time, but am on hold for a few repro parts at the moment...

XS

Attached picture 4624435-1969Charger500Restoration2837_640W.jpg

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 03:06 PM

Quote:

There's a F8 HEMI 4sp in New York as well.

that car looks sweet. If you plan on selling the car right away, paint it green, hands down. like everyone has said, it would hurt the value of the car to change color of a car thats that significant. most people are out for originality when it comes to buying with those cars anyway.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 03:11 PM

If you are going with a cheap paint job just to sell the car, then it really won't matter what color because a new owner would strip it completely and restore the car to original. If you are doing a top quality paint job and restoration, then it needs to stay with the F8 green for it to attract more buyers and to obtain top dollar.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 03:15 PM

Quote:

Some one looking ot urchase a car of that caliber will care greatly about originality and move on to the next car. That buyer is not just someone looking for a cool car at a reasonable price, they are a specific buyer. The other statement I guess I am just misunderstanding entirely, "Have a tag made for the gawkers and keep the original." You would lose a significant amount of money selling any high dollar car without a fender tag. This isn't a 318 Coronet 500 (no offense to anyone) its 69 Charger 500, and much of the value of that kinda car is documentation.

Well, I have had the car documented... G.G. was out to see it before I tore it apart for resto. Paid a tidy sum for that and still had to beg for the paperwork for almost a year. I'm kinda tired or all the matching # bs and tired about hearing about what Mopars in general should be or are worth. I got into mopars as a teenager 24 years ago 'cause they were fast, cool and well, affordable. Now it seems it's all about ego.

Galen said this was one of the highest optioned 500's he'd ever seen ( and I bought it to make a Daytona clone out of it ) so I started having second thoughts about cloning it and decided to restore it... but I just can't bring myself to do the dark green thing. It's gonna be an eye catcher in any color other than green and if someone is so anal it's not that difficult to take a restored car apart and change the color. I think market fluctuations have a much greater impact on value than the orgininal color thing but really just want something nice in case I can't sell it or decide not to.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 04:15 PM

Paint it panther pink and hang a blower out of the hood. That way it will be fast and it should catch the attention of all the rich Chevy guys. Let us know how it works out for you.
The matching #'s guys are doing their own thing for the love of the cars. Guys that are worried about value and doing cars to sell them are doing it for a different reason.
Because I love the cars and hate so see another rare one get butchered, I strongly suggest you paint it the original colour. And yes you will get more money for it so you can buy the wife a nice addition for the house or a new VW beetle when you sell it.

Sheldon
Posted By: new bee

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 04:18 PM

I am conflicted here, but this is my take on the color change thing.
We restore these cars to create an expeience within our own existence. You always wanted a blue Charger 500. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, ask yourself "who am I restoring this car for...me, or the next owner?"
If you plan on selling the car soon, then the color choice will likely be a financial one. If that is the case, I would say paint it green and enjoy the extra money you will make.
However, I have seen many high end cars go through a color change and do just fine if not better than what the original color would bring. There is a reason behind the term "re-sale red."
Your Charger is a valuable car, but is it as valuable as a Ferrari 250 GTO? That car is now estimated at around 30 million dollars. A Swiss owner changed the color of his from red to metallic red. The restoration was top notch (on a car like this, they all are). It is believed the value of this car was not harmed at all.
So say Ferrari value experts.
However, this car will have to cross the auction block before we will know for sure.
I changed the color of my Super Bee. It is not numbers-matching (the original engine is long gone). I agonized over doing this, but decided that the next owner can paint it any color they desire.
I had a couple days of color-changing remorse, and even contemplated what it would take to change it back to *ugh* gold.
This is what the next buyer of your car might be thinking should you sell it in the near future.
I would keep it all original right down to the green, which looks really good when freshly applied.
But, it's yours to do as you please.
Posted By: Chally426

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 04:25 PM

Quote:

Paint it panther pink and hang a blower out of the hood. That way it will be fast and it should catch the attention of all the rich Chevy guys. Let us know how it works out for you.
The matching #'s guys are doing their own thing for the love of the cars. Guys that are worried about value and doing cars to sell them are doing it for a different reason.
Because I love the cars and hate so see another rare one get butchered, I strongly suggest you paint it the original colour. And yes you will get more money for it so you can buy the wife a nice addition for the house or a new VW beetle when you sell it.

Sheldon

The Guy said he wants to sell it to get a Wingcar, or some other mopar. Not a VW or a house addition. Nothing wrong with that!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Some one looking ot urchase a car of that caliber will care greatly about originality and move on to the next car. That buyer is not just someone looking for a cool car at a reasonable price, they are a specific buyer. The other statement I guess I am just misunderstanding entirely, "Have a tag made for
the gawkers and keep the original." You would lose a significant amount of money selling any high dollar car without a fender tag. This isn't a 318 Coronet 500 (no offense to anyone) its 69 Charger 500, and much of the value of that kinda car is documentation.

Well, I have had the car documented... G.G. was out to see it before I tore it apart for resto. Paid a tidy sum for that and still had to beg for the paperwork for almost a year. I'm kinda tired or all the matching # bs and tired about hearing about what Mopars in general should be or are worth. I got into mopars as a teenager 24 years ago 'cause they were fast, cool and well, affordable. Now it seems it's all about ego.

Galen said this was one of the highest optioned 500's he'd ever seen ( and I bought it to make a Daytona clone out of it ) so I started having second thoughts about cloning it and decided to restore it... but I just can't bring myself to do the dark green thing. It's gonna be an eye catcher in any color other than green and if someone is so anal it's not that difficult to take a restored car apart and change the color. I think market fluctuations have a much greater impact on value than the orgininal color thing but really just want something nice in case I can't sell it or decide not to. [/quote}

Well my feelings toward cars, is there just machines to be used/ modified to the owners preference,.........but seeing how the market place has changed how the cars are now percieved as investments to collect or sell, rather than the enjoyment we used to have with musclecars,

your intention was a daytona clone, fine.....finish the car you have, as it was originally built,....top quality resto......sell it to some "numbers boob",......buy a clean base model,and clone it into your daytona dream......the money you raise off the 500 sale would fund a Daytona project.......I know a few people with 500's...and V code 70 RR's that are turning their cars into Tona's and Birds.......years ago, when nobody cared,....it was fine.......I personally could care less about cutting/ cloneing a numbers car, or R, or V code car......thats just me......but to not take advantage of the market, by selling a "numbers" car to the people that "buy" into that kind of thing.......is like throwing money out the "window"...............or you can say screw it, paint the car (it is yours!) as you please, and enjoy it.....everyone has different feelings on this subject,....all that count are yours,.....do what you want to the car, just weigh the advantages and disadvantages regarding what you decide?

Attached picture 4624669-0000a.jpg
Posted By: cdp

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 07:15 PM

Some friends here in town buy and sell high end cars all year round. Its how they make their living. They deal in all brands, but are technically Mopar guys.

I didn't believe them at first, but they've proved to me time and time again, High Impact colors are the way to go as long as they are dated/mated to the year. Even on a #'s car.

If you THINK your car will be sold to a true, hardcore #'s investor, then maybe you should go with the original color. If you want a bigger playing field of potential buyers, i'd change the color. And you have to realize that a Mopar buyer will scrutinize the most, a general car guy that likes cars could probably care less. Especially if he can't tell if is 70 SS LS6 was originally a 307-malibu.

Around this area, if you sell a car like that, it falls into the hands of Dealers and they mark up the price and flip it.

I have a 69-SE 383 Charger, triple F8. Its going to be scorch red, black top, white interior. Its also all #'s matching.

If your looking for buyers, this guy is a real charger lover. He does like #'s stuff. Worth giving him a call. His name is John Meyers. He's had some real nice F8 cars.

http://happycarz.com/pics_and_descp.php?id=537

The reason I say have a fender tag reproduced (but not misrepresent the car) is because at shows, a Mopar guy will look at the fender tag for original color options to see if its real. I have had it done to me and done it myself.

My non-mopar friends say that us mopar guys are too anal and #'s struck. I'm starting to believe them.

In the end, its still your car, money, and investment. But it never hurts to get other prespectives.

On a last note, a good friend built a 66-malibu into an SS clone. He painted in Marina Blue, white interior, 454-automatic. It was a beautiful car. A husband a wife looked at it and the wife fell in love with the color combination. He got $35K for a clone. You never know what kind of buyer you have. In this case, the wife bought the car.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 09:34 PM

I agree to a point. I would never do a color change on a desirable color just because I didn;t like it! Meaning if you have an original Plumb Crazy/B5 Blue/or Panther Pink car and happen to hate the color please get another car. On the other hand, if it was originally gold or F3 green (as was mine) then change away to YOUR hearts content.

Regarding numbers, if I see a really nice hemicuda and I am admiring it, I WILL look at the tag for the "R" and the paint code for the original color--am I soured if I see BH23G instead of BS23R? No....but I am more impressed with the real car. Thats life. True rarities are admirable.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 10:29 PM

Quote:

I agree to a point. I would never do a color change on a desirable color just because I didn;t like it! Meaning if you have an original Plumb Crazy/B5 Blue/or Panther Pink car and happen to hate the color please get another car. On the other hand, if it was originally gold or F3 green (as was mine) then change away to YOUR hearts content.

Regarding numbers, if I see a really nice hemicuda and I am admiring it, I WILL look at the tag for the "R" and the paint code for the original color--am I soured if I see BH23G instead of BS23R? No....but I am more impressed with the real car. Thats life. True rarities are admirable.

Regarding desirable colors.....perhaps gold or F3 green is desirable to an other person, and plumcrazy, panther, or B5 blue is not.......your baseing that decision, based on what the market wants today,....tommorrow's another story

It's funny how people dismiss a well executed "restoration" or "clone", when they find out it has the so-called "wrong" numbers displayed.....I just don't get it......goes to show how easy the "human condition" is easy to "condition"

Right now,...the "numbers gods" would hate me,.....as I'm "altering" an original smblk FM3 rubber bumper, NUMBERS MATCHING hardtop Cuda',,,,into a 440/6 SHAKER equipped Cuda'......painting it black with a white interior.......it's what the customer wants!........first thing to go was the driveline......to the junk yard!......so as you can see, value is in the eye of the owner, so what one man values, another does not?......

Attached picture 4625270-0000a.jpg
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 11:00 PM

NEVER change the color on a Charger 500 (or Daytona) . The following for the aero cars is so strict that most people who collect them, want the car to be "correct" . Now, if you have a 74 Barracuda and don't like the color, that's a whole different story.
It kind of reminds me of this story. Several years ago, a guy from Texas called me wanting advice about installing A/C in his Superbird.
My advice was simple , "don't do it" .
I told him to roll his windows down, or sell the car to someone that will appreciate the car for what it is . He got pretty mad at me, but that's the way I see it .
If you bought a Picasso painting , and it didn't match the color of your living room wall , would you add a few dabs and swirles of paint so that it looks like what YOU want it to look like ?!
I am all about preserving history instead of altering it , but that's just me.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 7 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 11:01 PM

A lot of ya'll have referrenced different cars, 69 SE, FM3 SB Cuda (reads 318/904 or it wouldn't have gone to a boneyard). Although I'm sure they are nice cars, they are no where near the value of a 69 500 and simply by that fact are not subject to the same drop in value due to a color change. The common guy who wants an old fast muscle car isn't going to opt for a high dollar rarity just because of a pretty color, these cars are bought by the true enthuiast that has the change to appreciate a "one of" car or just a pure investor (although not lately, thankfully). I am a car guy because of cars, I have built many a car out of the bineyard and still visit them regularly, I have been fortunate in the past to puchase some "special" cars before they got silly, I do however have to recognize their value and my investment. The only auto Mopar I have is a 69 R/T Charger, which I would love to make a 4 spd, but even though I don't intend to sell it, I will not change it over (partially because I have 4 other 4 spd Mopars). You can be a car guy and still be financially responsible with the investment factor.
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/17/08 11:52 PM

Quote:

B5 blue with white guts would look good
BUT on a C500 go back to F8 (whats on tag)
youll be glad you did
green was very popular with early tree huggers and returning GIs but it took nads to get a sublime car back in the day
if your going to flip the car do it right
if you going to drive it do your on thing
and enjoy

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 12:08 AM

Quote:

NEVER change the color on a Charger 500 (or Daytona) . The following for the aero cars is so strict that most people who collect them, want the car to be "correct"

. Now, if you have a 74 Barracuda and don't like the color, that's a whole different story.

WHY?.......would that be a different story.....I'd like to know?

Do you think the owner of this Superbird owner considered the originality of his paint choice?..........thank god he didn't,...the car looks awesome in BLACK!........another case of who cares what everyone else thinks,....I'm doing it my way!

Attached picture 4625497-blackbird1.jpg

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 12:27 AM

Quote:

A lot of ya'll have referrenced different cars, 69 SE, FM3 SB Cuda (reads 318/904 or it wouldn't have gone to a boneyard).

Was a 340/ 727 Auto, been sitting TOO LONG....... so you'd be surprised how many 440 forgedcrank motors,.....and 383 motors, I tossed in the pile,.....just too many laying around.......you'd cringe if I told you bout the half dozen or so 71 cuda grilles that you couldn't give away in the early 80's that I busted up back then and tossed in the trash!....(now those I wish I kept!)..in fact I just tossed about 4 sets of BB heads..........some stuff isn't worth keeping?

....sometimes you have to kull the herd

Attached picture 4625542-08-02-08_1504.jpg

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 01:06 AM

I thought you were referring to a recent alteration, but I am surprised there was ever a time to throw out a 340 even one of the later cast crank ones. 383s I could see as they were common enough and at a time even a steel crank 440. Next time you need to throw out some 906 BB heads I need a few extra sets.
Posted By: 69_500

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 01:09 AM

The 500's were available in the following Blue's in 1969.

B3 (1 that I know of that was built)
B5 (16 that I know of that were built)
B7 (2 that I know of that were built)

The F8 green however was a popular color in 1969. Of the cars I've looked at over the years, it is the 2nd most popular color.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 01:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

NEVER change the color on a Charger 500 (or Daytona) . The following for the aero cars is so strict that most people who collect them, want the car to be "correct"

. Now, if you have a 74 Barracuda and don't like the color, that's a whole different story.

WHY?.......would that be a different story.....I'd like to know?

Do you think the owner of this Superbird owner considered the originality of his paint choice?..........thank god he didn't,...the car looks awesome in BLACK!........another case of who cares what everyone else thinks,....I'm doing it my way!

Let's look at it this way, if you are going to alter or "screw something up" it's ALWAYS best to do it with something of much less value .
If you decided to install a 460 Ford engine in your Mopar,and the interior from a 73 Gran Torino because YOU like Ford engines and the look of the Ford interior, which would be a better car to do it with. A 74 Charger 318 car,
or a 70 Charger R/T SE 440 six pack sunroof car ?
See where I am going with this ?
If you just MUST screw something up, it's ALWAYS best to do it to a car of much lesser value.
Like it or not, certain cars are pure collectables now. Nobody is going to own their car forever, and at some point , even if you don't sell, your widow or children will . Don't you want the car to sell for what it should , instead of much less, because it has to be taken totally apart and re-pained inside and out to be correct ? Now it doesn't really matter if you change the original color on your FF8 70 coronet
500 318 car , because the car is only going to be worth X dollars no matter what you do . However, if you have a 70 Coronet R/T convertible 4-speed
4.10 dana , ramcharger hood, FF8, your best bet is to keep it FF8 . Would it look good EK2 Go Mango with white interior, you damn right it would! But, certain cars should be preserved as they were built . That's the way I feel about it .
I remember seeing a '69 GTX convertible , factory
triple black car, that was re-painted Limelight FJ5 at a show some years back . I think he hurt the value "a lil bit" , but I guess all that matters is that the current owner likes it .
As far as the black Superbird, If I were in the market to buy a bird, this would certainly not be
on my list of possible buys, unless the price was heavily discounted . Does it look good in black, sure. Does the incorrect paint hurt the value, you bet it does. There will be some buyers who would like it because it looks "cool" and "different" but many more will pass because it is not correct . That's just the way it is.
I don't make the rules of human nature when they apply to buying/selling collectables .
People don't want to buy a victorian home built in 1890 if some goober has altered the original appearance by painting it pink and purple , no matter how "cool" the owner thought it would look.
What else can I say, We just don't see eye to eye on this subject .
I will say this . IF someone truely doesn't give a damn about respecting their medium or high dollar collectable car for what it is ,
and does not mind lowering the cars value ,then by all means , do whatever you want to it. It is your car to do with as you please, even if that means leaving it outside with the windows down for 10 years .
Do as you please.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 7 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 01:16 AM

Another thing to consider is that it gives a potential buyer something to negotiate with.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 02:12 AM

A few thoughts :

To answer the PM's I've gotten, it's all numbers matching, 440, Auto, A/C, PS, Pwr Discs, Cruise, Rocker moldings, AmFm, Rear defogger, 3.23 sure grip, Exhaust tips, Tach, Woodgrain wheel, console.

The guy I bought it from told me about some downright insulting low-ballers who kept making reference to the fact that the car was green and probably wasn't worth restoring. I told him I didn't care about the color, would probably change it and probably make a Daytona out of it (for me, not to fool anyone) At any rate, he appeciated it and a fair offer and sold me the car.

I wonder how many of those low-ballers would agree or disagree about the color change. I think it would be great to preserve everything as it should be but cars, funds, and ones time are all limiting factors. Anyway when our generation is gone there won't be anyone to care or argue about show poodles having undercariages that are fully refinished instead of left mostly primered and oversprayed body color which is really correct. I wonder how many of these big-dollar Deusenbergs have their value hurt by paint quality and/or colors which aren't technically correct.

I remember seeing a photo shoot on Galens '68 Hemi something in a magazine years ago and peeking out on the firewall was an electronic ignition box ... hmmmmm.

I've also thought about leaving it green but doing the gut in white or saddle which would be an inexpensive "fix" for a future owner. Also, this isn't going to be some inexpensive paint job either... I use Glasurit paint... it ain't cheap. ( have done so long before BASF signed up Chip Foose )

Here's another thought... Anyone have a wing car project they're never gonna get to or can't afford to do right? PM me, you might talk me into swapping for a roticierrie restored C500. Get with me early enough and you can pick the color. Anyway, didn't mean to start a controversy just wanted to see what blue's were "correct" for the C500, which in my case is none.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 03:08 AM

Quote:

I thought you were referring to a recent alteration, but I am surprised there was ever a time to throw out a 340 even one of the later cast crank ones. 383s I could see as they were common enough and at a time even a steel crank 440. Next time you need to throw out some 906 BB heads I need a few extra sets.

I was referring to a recent alteration, like 3 months ago........tossed the seized 340, like a boat anchor........have 4 more 440 heads,.....pay the shipping and their yours?.......

Attached picture 4626007-0000a.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 03:40 PM

Personally, if you're thinking of selling, keep it the original color. If you're thinking of keeping, by all means change the color if you wish.. BUT, be prepared for the numerous comments you're going to get about it not being the "proper" original color.. If you can live with that, then cool. With the fact you have a C500 the way YOU want it, it'll outweight any negative criticism you may get.. And this is coming from a C500 owner..

We only live once, so ENJOY your car !!!!!
Posted By: Aero426

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 03:51 PM

Quote:

The Black Bird does look nice. The car was owned by a Chrysler dealer and he did the paint that way pretty early on. It wasn't very important back then, but there were still a few private snickers about the paint job. The Black Bird is coming up for sale at Auburn on Labor Day weekend. It will be interesting to see how it does.

Bottom line is, if you are willing to risk paying the price when you go to sell, mod away.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/18/08 11:54 PM

I think I know which car you picked up then. I was one of the people who was trying to purchase the car a few years back. I didn't low ball the guy, I spent at least 5 hours on the phone with the guy trying to figure out what price he wanted for the car. At the time I was talking to him, he wasn't for sure he wanted to sell the car or not.

I would say if you intend on keeping the car by all means paint it B5 blue, and enjoy the heck out of the car. If you want to get the best bang for the buck in resale value, go with the F8 green. Another reason I tried really hard to buy the car before was that it was scheduled to be built on my wifes B-day and I figured it would make a nice car for her once completed.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/19/08 12:24 AM

Dayclona, you have an e-mail.

Thanks, Kevin
Posted By: CorporateGirl

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/21/08 02:47 AM

Dude, don't change the color.

Restore the Charger to the correct paint, sell it, and then buy one the color you want.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/21/08 04:08 PM

I don't change anything that can't be changed back in a weekend,

it's YOUR car do what makes YOU happy

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/21/08 04:26 PM

Quote:

Dude, don't change the color.

Restore the Charger to the correct paint, sell it, and then buy one the color you want.

I see one problem with this.. C500's don't grow on trees and rare iron like this fall into this catagory - "A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush"..

There aren't a whole lot of C500's, in any color, out there for sale, let alone a color you're looking for.............

Sell the car and take the chance of finding another??? Naaaaaaa

This is the exact reason I'm holding off from any transaction with my '68 Hemi Charger until I know I have a Daytona to replace it with.......

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/23/08 12:53 AM

"Sell the car and take the chance of finding another.. "

So what do you think would be the best way to do that? The only thing that comes to mind is ebay of course so then how... photos of it in primer on the roticierrie as-is ready to go or posted as " buyers choice of color"? I'm open to suggestions.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/23/08 02:57 AM

F8 is a beautiful color IMO. If you give the buyer a choice you're going to want the money beforehand and he'll have to wait for the paint to be finished, leaving the door open for things to go badly.
Do it in f8 and put it on the market asap. That would be the quickest, least aggravating way into a 'tona or 'bird.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/23/08 01:17 PM

Quote:

"Sell the car and take the chance of finding another.. "

So what do you think would be the best way to do that? The only thing that comes to mind is ebay of course so then how... photos of it in primer on the roticierrie as-is ready to go or posted as " buyers choice of color"? I'm open to suggestions.

Well,, I actually forgot to put the question marks after that comment.. As I've edited now.. My point is; it's easy to sell, but difficult to find and buy another one... Soooo, you could have cash in hand, but no C500.........
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/23/08 02:32 PM

Quote:

My point is; it's easy to sell, but difficult to find and buy another one

Troy, gotta dissagree with you there, in todays market it's more of a buyer market, there are allot of nice cars for sale these days and the prices aren't near what they were 2-3 years agao.

I would agree that playing it safe would be to locate the car you want before selling if you are looking for a very specific option package simply because few may exist.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/23/08 05:12 PM

would agree that playing it safe would be to locate the car you want before selling if you are looking for a very specific option package simply because few may exist.

Well guys, I'm not picky on options / colors on a wing car but getting a 'Bird or Daytona is the ultimate goal and I'll need cash in hand to do that so hanging onto the 500 isn't praqctical. I guess most people wouldn't look to repaint a fresh roticierrie resto so maybe f8 is the way to go. I haven't seen a fresh one recently so maybe I'll do a few spray outs and see if it grows on me
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/23/08 08:08 PM

If it's lazer straight and the paint is as flat as Utah it will look great no matter what the colour.

Sheldon

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/25/08 12:47 AM

Here is a freshly painted F8 green 500.

Enjoy.

Attached picture 4640493-rtwe4_1.jpg

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 08/25/08 12:48 AM

another of the same car.

Attached picture 4640497-rtwe4_2.jpg
Posted By: hemi_tyme

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 02:17 AM

Quote:

would agree that playing it safe would be to locate the car you want before selling if you are looking for a very specific option package simply because few may exist.

Well guys, I'm not picky on options / colors on a wing car but getting a 'Bird or Daytona is the ultimate goal and I'll need cash in hand to do that so hanging onto the 500 isn't praqctical. I guess most people wouldn't look to repaint a fresh roticierrie resto so maybe f8 is the way to go. I haven't seen a fresh one recently so maybe I'll do a few spray outs and see if it grows on me

Well It looks like ya made your mind up It's for sale

This numbers matching C500 was inspected by Galen Govier and documented as numbers matching before the restoration began. It does not have it's build sheet as an incorrect C500 build sheet was under the seat from the factory. Options are as follows: 440 4bbl, Auto, A/C, Cruise control, AM/FM, 3.23 Sure grip, Disc brakes, Buckets, console, woodgrain wheel, Rocker panel moldings, rear defroster, exhaust tips. Originally F8 on F8, I elected to buy a white Legendary Interior for it to Offset it's white tail stripe and make the fresh dark green metallic pop. It's easy and inexpensive to return to a green interior if one chooses. The car is is still on the roticierrie being prepped for paint. The shop is a BASF Glasurit facility and will shoot the car in 55 line base-clear. This is top of the line, expensive european paint original equipment on the likes of BMW and Mercedes. Plans will be to leave most of the floorpan in primer with just overspray as was original as opposed to painting the entire floorpan which is common. Suspension components are powdercoated and where needed will have cosmoline coatings applied. Engine and trans rebuilt to stock, A correct NOS date coded Carter AVS carb will mix the fuel. Wheels are undecided at this time but will most likely be reproduction KelseyHayes recall wheels. Asking low 6 figures, running and driving deliverable on or about labor day. If not sold look for it at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2010. Car located in Phoenix, AZ. No tire kickers please. Interested parties please send a PM. Thanks, Mike
Posted By: 1970mopar

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 03:07 PM

Quote:

and if someone is so anal it's not that difficult to take a restored car apart and change the color.

Really - only another $15,000-$20,000 -IMO

Its not as simple as pulling off a few trim pieces to completely strip and refinish (change color back) on a "rotissere" restored car. Everything from suspension to drivetrain to interior to trim has to be removed in order to do it correctly. Not to mention the fact that you are doing an interior color change as well as mentioned.

The people potentially looking at purchasing a 69' 500 are a select calibre of buyers; Not your average Mopar person. Someone that is going to spend the $$$ to purchase a 69' 500 is more likely purchasing the car because of its rariety and as a collector, not a daily driver.

While I'm not a huge fan of Green cars, they do have a significance in the history of all Muscle Cars. Id personally sell the car as a project (as Scott mentioned above) take the money and the money you would be spending on the paint work and the rest of the restoration and buy the car (wing car) you really want in the color you really want.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 06:39 PM

Quote:

Have a tag made for the gawkers and keep the original.

This is how tags are lost. Why remove a tag just because the car's painted a non-original color? If anything, at some point you'll hear from the grapevine that your car's pedigree is suspect because of a "funny" tag.
Posted By: klunick

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 07:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll probably end up selling it soon after it's done.

If this is the case then I would HIGHLY reccomend against a color change, you will lose a BUNCH of potential buyers in doing so which leads to getting less for the car.

If it were mine......Restore it and sell it (in it's original colors) or leave it as is and sell it as a project, then go buy something else in a color you like better.

I have to agree with Scott. Not to attack you, but in one sentence you say you want to paint the car blue like you have always wanted, and then you mention selling the car after it is done. That being the case, your desires are pointless unless they include tossing money away. Paint it the right color. If you decide to keep it for a while, you will get use to it. If you sell it, you are not going to lose 20% for the car being the wrong color. Wrong color doesn't matter on everyday type cars, but it isn't going to help you one bit on a rare car.
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 07:56 PM

Quote:

Here is a freshly painted F8 green 500.

Enjoy.

For some reason that pic makes me sleepy....

"Poppys, look at all the poppys!"

Posted By: gregsrt

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 08:04 PM

I would paint it green if selling it also. You didn't get too much negative feedback on the color change. I posted a pic of a 318 69 Satellite I bought last year that is yellow with a green painted top and said I was changing the color. Boy did I get roasted because of that. It's a Satellite who cares! A C500 is a different story though.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 08:25 PM

You deserve to be roasted!
Posted By: burdar

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 09:09 PM

Quote:

I posted a pic of a 318 69 Satellite I bought last year that is yellow with a green painted top and said I was changing the color. Boy did I get roasted because of that. It's a Satellite who cares! A C500 is a different story though.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD

There's a guy that has a thread going in the Questions/Answers section that would probably like to hear about your Satalite.

Never mind...I see that you already posted a pic of it.
Posted By: Neil

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/08/09 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Some one looking ot urchase a car of that caliber will care greatly about originality and move on to the next car. That buyer is not just someone looking for a cool car at a reasonable price, they are a specific buyer. The other statement I guess I am just misunderstanding entirely, "Have a tag made for the gawkers and keep the original." You would lose a significant amount of money selling any high dollar car without a fender tag. This isn't a 318 Coronet 500 (no offense to anyone) its 69 Charger 500, and much of the value of that kinda car is documentation.

Galen said this was one of the highest optioned 500's he'd ever seen ( and I bought it to make a Daytona clone out of it ) so I started having second thoughts about cloning it and decided to restore it... but I just can't bring myself to do the dark green thing. It's gonna be an eye catcher in any color other than green and if someone is so anal it's not that difficult to take a restored car apart and change the color. I think market fluctuations have a much greater impact on value than the orgininal color thing but really just want something nice in case I can't sell it or decide not to.

It's a huge undertaking to do a correct color change. The entire car will have to come apart, undercoating removed and reapplied etc.

Re: '69 Charger 500 Color change question - 07/09/09 03:22 AM

I beleive in the for sale ad, it states it's going back to green.. case closed
© 2024 Moparts Forums