Moparts

Evans wiring harness

Posted By: biginchmotor

Evans wiring harness - 07/17/10 11:18 PM

I need to purchase a dash harness for a 74 Barracuda, their prices are reasonable compared to other vendors. Anyone use their products? Good/bad?. Thanks John.
Posted By: Fred_Gilmore

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/17/10 11:24 PM

I have used Bill's harnesses on several cars. They are very nice and dead on. He even custom made one for me when I installed a electronic ignition and put the wires for it right in the engine harness so it looked original.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/17/10 11:42 PM

Ive heard mixed reveiws about their harnesses. something to the nature to wire ends not being crimped good enough and bad customer service. IMO, Ive used them and had no problems. They arn't the most accurate in the world but they do the job and look presentable
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/17/10 11:53 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5933610&Main=5911578
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 12:40 AM

M&H is your "only" choice for a quality aftermarket harness,.....you'll need to purchase it thru Year One, as the licsence to M&H sales is thru YO,.......
Posted By: plymouthfan

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 01:15 AM

I ordered one through Y/O on May 29.... today is July 17... STILL WAITING!

What Y/O doesn't tell you when you order one is is takes a minimum of 10 weeks for delivery.

Total bullsh!t
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 01:43 AM

Quote:

I need to purchase a dash harness for a 74 Barracuda, their prices are reasonable compared to other vendors. Anyone use their products? Good/bad?. Thanks John.

This is NEWS to me...I thought M & H was the only manufacture of dash harness's

I've bought dozen's of harness's from Bill Evans and only experienced a couple of minor issues
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 03:48 AM

Quote:

What Y/O doesn't tell you when you order one is is takes a minimum of 10 weeks for delivery.

Total bullsh!t

Might also depend on your application, and if your ordering a custom harness?,...My 70 Charger dash harness was shipped within 2 weeks, along with the engine harness, light forward harness, and tailight harness.......
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 06:34 AM

M&H only makes the harnesses after YO places an order, they don't stock any of the harnesses. So if YO fails to anticipate the demand, you may have to wait until they get enough orders to justify having the harnesses made.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 11:35 AM

i put evans engine and wiper harness in my dart. complete garbage. found three bad crimps in the engine harness and two in the wiper harness. looks almost like his crimp tool is worn and not getting the crimp tight. plus it seemed a couple inches short in a few areas.

i emailed them and told them about the problem and they told me to send it back and they will fix it. told them i wasn't comfortable putting their product back on my car since i cruise my 18 month daughter around all the time in the car. don't need to break down with her in the car. he said to send it back for a refund. gotta give him credit for that.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 11:36 AM

Quote:

Total bullsh!t

10 weeks is just unacceptable.
Posted By: CudaDave7071

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 12:03 PM

I bought one of Evans wiring harnesses for my 74 Barracuda with a March 1974 build date and it does not work!

The factory harness for my 74 has the bulk head plug in that plugs into the dash harness on the firewall plus another connector of the same type that plugs into a small sub section. The Evans harness does not have the 2nd connector or the sub section.

I ended up repairing my original in a couple of places and putting it back in the car.

What Evans sells is a harness for 72-74 cars but 74 cars are a unique year with some differences.
Posted By: Dr V

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 12:08 PM

Quote:

I bought one of Evans wiring harnesses for my 74 Barracuda with a March 1974 build date and it does not work!

The factory harness for my 74 has the bulk head plug in that plugs into the dash harness on the firewall plus another connector of the same type that plugs into a small sub section. The Evans harness does not have the 2nd connector or the sub section.

I ended up repairing my original in a couple of places and putting it back in the car.

What Evans sells is a harness for 72-74 cars but 74 cars are a unique year with some differences.

You are right, in 74, there was a mid year change on the connector . They used both for a while.

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 01:37 PM

Quote:

M&H only makes the harnesses after YO places an order, they don't stock any of the harnesses. So if YO fails to anticipate the demand, you may have to wait until they get enough orders to justify having the harnesses made.

I here you, but I ordered an off the shelf stock 340 harness.

The only reason I ordered the M&H was because of all the complaints that have been floating around lately about Evans. I have a custom Evans engine and headlight harnesses in my Road Runner I installed two years ago and they're perfect.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/18/10 03:46 PM

I used the Evans egine harness in my GTX. Works fine. Might not be OE perfect but looks good and works. I'm happy with it. No problems so far a year later.

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/21/10 08:37 PM

Just called Y/O... said another week and a half before THEY get them in, then I gotta wait for them to get it to me.

It doesn't say anywhere in the item description on their site that it'll take two and a half months to receive, As a matter of fact my online statement says "IN STOCK"
Posted By: silent-H-wheel

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/22/10 07:09 PM

I put an Evans engine harness in my A12 because they are one of the only sources for a correct A12 engine harness. The M&H harness is wrong for an A12. I experienced fast, friendly service from Evans, with no problems. After I sold the car, the new buyer found some loose crimps. After they were fixed, it's working fine from what I understand.

I would buy from them again.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/22/10 10:42 PM

A buddy of mine has been waiting alot longer than you for Y-1{m&h} to send him his 74 cuda engine harness...I guess they figure they're the only game in town and can make people wait as long as they want...
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/25/10 02:45 AM

I have had a custom Evans harness on my 74 Challenger for many years with absolutely no issues what so ever . Never had to do an exchange or refund with them but in talking with them I would say they would do whatever needs to be done to make the customer happy
Posted By: stateline

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/25/10 05:41 AM

Evans built the engine harness for this one , it works perfect - he didnt even charge extra to build it

Attached picture 6103702-Picture056(Small).jpg
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/25/10 06:19 AM

It's been about 12 years ago, but I had Bill Evans build me a custom engine wiring harness for my 68 Charger. I had it built with Mopar Electronic Ignition and Electronic Voltage Regulator. I designated the mounting locations of the electronic components and they were dead on. To me, it looked correct, worked well, and I never experienced any problems with it.

Given my experience, I'd purchase another wire harness from him.

Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Evans wiring harness - 07/25/10 10:16 PM

My enigne harness from evans had some lose coonections and I had to get new ends from Napa.
Also was not compleate was engine and forward lights but did not have the trans one. Or the plastic ends on many of the wires so old ones needed to be reused. Looked like crap next to the new. I finaly found new ones and all was good.
I really wanted plug and play
All in all
Posted By: dan9

Re: Evans wiring harness - 08/01/10 05:09 PM

Once again this forum got it right. I also purchased an Evan's engine harness for my 69 rr. I have had it for 2 years and would have been the first to defend him. They are local to me and were very helpful both Bill and his wife. Recently i have had the problem with start and stall whenever i released the key. After reading some of the posts i checked my connection at the bulkhead and 2 wires pulled out. It only took me an hour to remove the harness and recrimp all eight connections. 2 connections weren't crimped and the other 6 were only half crimped. I still think their harness is better than a 40 year old heat baked original. For all the longer it takes to inspect the terminals it is worth it. I believe this forum saved my car from burning down as one loose crimp did melt the plastic at the bulkhead. thanks again guys
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Evans wiring harness - 08/01/10 06:11 PM

This topic always cracks me up becuase there is really no clear concensus on any of the wiring brands. They all seem to be the same and have the same complaints about them. Some say they are dead on, some say they are not. Some say the harnesses are great and some say they have experienced ends not crimped very well. Insert your preferred manufacture here as the claims all seem to be the same with all of them. And a few guys out there, I question how impartial they really are. As said, this topic comes up a lot and it just depends on how you talk to.
I have used the Evans harness and have been very happy with fit and finish. Im not smart enough to tell you if they are dead on, nor is it really a big concern for me. I see them at the shows all the time selling their products. They are always nicely labeled and they seem to be very helpful if I have questions about their product. I will also say they seem to be quite a bit less expensive from the others, but would suggest you buy what you feel most comfortable with. Like I said, they are at several shows a year and you have a chance to pick up and look at your harness before you purchase. Can't go wrong with that.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Evans wiring harness - 08/01/10 06:20 PM

Always do a pull test on each wire before installation. I would rather have a wire pull out of it's connector during the test than experience a fire later. Better safe than sorry.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Evans wiring harness - 08/01/10 06:34 PM

I know for a fact that M&H wiring does a 2 lbs pull test on all their connections.
Never an issue with the wiring I purchased from them.
I have never purchased from Evans so I have no experience with them.
Jules
© 2024 Moparts Forums