Moparts

correctly restored ralley wheel

Posted By: mopars_1

correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/16/10 05:10 AM

is the inside of a 15x7 ralley wheel get painted black or silver like the out side? and also, can someone post a picture of the correct hardware used to bolt the center cap on? its for a 1971 if that makes a difference.. thanks!
-kevin
Posted By: a12rag

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/16/10 02:56 PM

From what I have seen/done, paint the wheel black on the back side. Prep the front side, and paint it argent silver - letting the overspray go thru the wheel openings and onto the backside. . . . .

My two cents worth . . .

Mark
Posted By: Morty426

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/16/10 03:38 PM

That's the way I've seen it too
Posted By: floyd

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/16/10 04:52 PM

From Resto-Rick's site:
http://www.restorick.com/Resto/images/71CudaGreen73.jpg
Posted By: burdar

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/16/10 05:07 PM

I learned something new today.

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/16/10 05:42 PM

thanks! I assume that the black is a gloss by looking at the picture?

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/17/10 09:50 PM

one more quesion... what kind of silver did they use? was it a specific formula or was is just a medium silver with metalic flake? Im asking because I dont know if I should buy some ralley wheel paint of just go to my local paint store and get some. thanks!
-kevin
Posted By: intragration

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/18/10 12:12 AM

If you are going so far as to paint the wheels properly, why not use the Mopar stuff? I painted mine improperly...I painted both sides with the Mopar rallye wheel paint. I didn't overspray on my battery cable either.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/18/10 01:10 PM

simple gloss back on the backside and the closest match I've found for the front is plain old krylon dull aluminum
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/18/10 03:21 PM

.... but is Krylon "dull aluminum" still available? if so Where??
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/18/10 03:39 PM

Quote:

Dan
I bought a couple cans thru my local KOI Auto parts , maybe 6 months ago. So I'm not aware of any difficulties locating it

I see Krylon still lists it on there website
Posted By: sbcjd

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/18/10 08:23 PM

Does anyone sell the light silver argent in a "rattle can" for the 1970 rallye wheel center caps?
Posted By: intragration

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/18/10 11:31 PM

Quote:

Does anyone sell the light silver argent in a "rattle can" for the 1970 rallye wheel center caps?

I'm sure it's wrong, but I just used the same Mopar rallye wheel paint on the center caps. It looks close enough for me.

Attached picture 6092767-wheel.jpg
Posted By: Deuces-Wild

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/19/10 08:23 PM

Quote:

Totally Auto has good matches on both the rim and centers
Posted By: RareTA

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/21/10 01:18 PM

Quote:

I get it at Wal Mart.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/21/10 05:35 PM

I couldn't find it but I was able to order it thru my local Tru-Value hardware store.
Posted By: duster2

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/21/10 09:28 PM

I have not bought any in a little while , but a buddy would order me a 6 pack of Krylon at Napa , he got a discount at the time. It had to be ordered,
Paint for the centers , when I was doing the plastic centers , I used lite and dark wheel coating paint from Advance Auto parts. It worked out well for me.

My
Posted By: gygeneral

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/21/10 11:48 PM

I just sprayed the Mopar rallye wheel paint and I am of the opinion it is too shiny. Anybody else think that way. They must have changed the formula because I used it 4 yrs ago on my Challenger's wheels and it looks alright.

Attached picture 6098205-DSC06197.JPG

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/22/10 03:37 AM

thanks everyone for the info. luckly, my center caps were already restored when I bought the car. I was able to go to a not so local hardware store and after some serious digging, I was able to come up with 2 cans of dull aluminum!

one last question, does anyone have a picture of the correct bolts used to hold the center cap on? where are they available? thanks!
-kevin

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 07/23/10 06:05 PM

anything about the hardware??
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: correctly restored ralley wheel - 11/12/10 05:51 PM

You can probably get them at a variety of places, Year One has them under part number FD919020.
© 2024 Moparts Forums