Moparts

Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger

Posted By: Swiss_Robert

Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 04:15 PM

Following all the advices that I've got from this very helpful board, I digged deeper and deeper towards firewall - inside my 1970 Challenger (440-sixpack clone without AC). Today I arrived at the heater/defroster box.

Down there everything is in a bad shape. The fan was filled with old leaves and debris and did not move for many years obviously. Radiator leaked. And so on.

I found that it is not too easy to get parts for that box. Radiator is easy but a new blower motor or seals or cardboard stuff seems to be rare...

Is there someone specialized who sells that kind of stuff?

Attached picture 6068326-04072010480_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 04:20 PM

Can someone tell me, why I have this gap between heaterbox and defroster-channels??? What's missing???

Attached picture 6068332-03072010479_small.jpg
Posted By: okie

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 04:26 PM

Get in touch with 71TA on here, It is James Filmore and he sells the complete kits to rebuild the heater boxes. On the motor and heater core I don't know. I know you can find the heater cores on e-bay all time. Good Luck! Ronnie in Okla.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 04:27 PM

Quote:

Can someone tell me, why I have this gap between heaterbox and defroster-channels??? What's missing???

Nothing is missing, quality from back in the day.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 04:50 PM

Jules can restore the heater blower motor to perfection.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 06:33 PM

Th gap was intentional. As the air blows from the lower duct to the upper duct it pulls cabin air in via that gap to mix the heated air with cabin air.

You may find some of the diagrams at the link below useful as well.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ServiceHighlights/1970PassengerCarHighlights03.shtml
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 06:47 PM

As mentionned above.
excellent gasket kits from 71T/A or Detroit Muscle Tech.
http://detroitmuscletechnologies.com/
I can rebuild your motor to near new.
Jules
gdaddio@videotron.ca

Attached picture 6068578-x.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 06:48 PM

Attached picture 6068580-heaterbox(130).jpg
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 08:08 PM

The kits and cardboard WERE rare when I pulled MY 71 Challenger heater box about 6 years ago now. Mine looked like yours. I cleaned it all up and thought I'd just Google a heater box restoration kit. NOT. If I had a Camaro or Moostang I there were some crappy kits available but NOTHING for Mopar. Now I make all the Mopar heater box restoratiion kits in A/C and Non A/C from 63-76. Don't have the 69-7X C bodies though.

Funny, many people ask me about that "gap". In fact some have told me I don't know what I'm taking about when I tell them there is NOTHING that goes in that gap

PS I just had new clips sets made for the heater boxes too. It's amazing how much is being remade or can be restored by artisans like Jules above!

Attached picture 6068672-clips.jpg
Posted By: stickman

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/04/10 08:34 PM

You can buy a heater core at rockauto.com
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/05/10 01:14 AM

Quote:

You can buy a heater core at rockauto.com

You can but it is not anywhere near the quality of the OEM part. It lacks much of the support of the original. I could see it failing from metal fatigue.
I had mine boiled out and pressure checked by a radiator shop. Since it passed the check, I sent the replacement back for a refund.
Craig

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/05/10 01:32 AM

That's apart from the half hour it will take to get it to fit right.
The brackets are no where near close to fit out of the box.
Jules

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/05/10 01:24 PM

What do you think about this motor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Vented? The old one died cause of rust...

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/05/10 08:49 PM

Mounting studs too long. They will touch the squirrel cage ( fan).Need to be cut.
Opening in the side will let in dirt, water and other bugs and stuff.
Wiring is too short to reach the contact points on top of the box.
No savings with all the mods and problems you will incur.
Jules

Attached picture 6070250-heaterblowermotors.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 07/06/10 09:34 AM

Quote:

Now I make all the Mopar heater box restoratiion kits in A/C and Non A/C from 63-76.

I'll contact you using your site. I've seen, you don't ship to all countries...

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:11 PM

I'd like to report the follow-up.

I've got the exciting kit from james fillmore - it's one of the finest i've ever seen: Not only everything fits perfectly but he adds a very helpful documentation. I've got the heater core from summit racing. And I did rebuild the blower motor just with some ellbow grease

It's not to difficult - i'll give you some pics:

Attached picture 6120975-02082010627_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:16 PM

Uuups: How to start - first brake anything to make it more demanding... (Jim wrote in his documentation: clean it CAREFUL). But it's plastic and can be glued again

Then: gave the doors a coat with zync-paint and glued the foam gaskets on as Jim described. Fixed the black plastic hump with pop rivets...

Attached picture 6120984-02082010633_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:19 PM

To build in the defroster door is a bit tricky - it's not exactly symmetrical and it took me a while to figure out which turn around it will fit.

Attached picture 6120991-02082010635_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:23 PM

So this is the backside of the box with everything attached including the new cardboard (also from Jim) and the new clips (dito). Jim also includes the gasket to the firewall - in 2 versions...

Attached picture 6121001-02082010638_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:27 PM

Now the front half - and the caulk- thing. Btw: to remove the air-vent door from this half it's necessary to drill out 2 rivets it's fixed with. Can be refixed with pop rivets...

Attached picture 6121012-02082010640_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:35 PM

Now both halfs are ready. Front half has the core attached with 4 screws - sealed with caulk. Temperature door is lied into it's groove. Rear half needs also some caulk.

To put the halfes together was the most difficult step. Slide in the air-vent door in its hole and keep everything on its place... needs some ingeniousness and patience.

Attached picture 6121021-02082010642_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:41 PM

So here it is - back in live. To attach the thick D-shaped gasket on the top it takes some weatherstripe glue. And now is a good time to test the fan and the resistor - if it runs in 2 speeds. On this pic I forgot to attach the ground wire of the fan to the metal backside plate...but I remembered later.

Attached picture 6121032-02082010643_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:44 PM

I didn't had this hook in the car - it was missing. I found in the shop manual, how it works and bent a stud to do the job.

Attached picture 6121035-02082010647_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:48 PM

Welcome back. Since the blower motor is grounded via the metal plate on the backside of the unit, it's important to make sure that at least one of the three nuts that fix it to the firewall allows electrical contact (just in case you painted the firewall in the meantime - as I did).

Attached picture 6121043-02082010648_small.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/03/10 11:54 PM

When testing with the upper ducts in place I found that "the gap" causes quite some air to be blown under the dash...

I assume that the upper ducts may have warped a little (or were assembled without care 40 years ago). Just in front this part is to close to the heaterbox, on both sides it's okay and no air goes the wrong way.

Since I don't like the idea to heat the inside of the dash, I fixed a stripe of alu sheetmetal.

Attached picture 6121050-03082010650_small.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 08/04/10 01:06 AM

Wow it looks real nice, great work.

That gap between the box and defrosters is supposed to be there. It mixes air for the defrosters, Pretty sure.
Posted By: filmsurgeon

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/07/13 08:36 AM

Quote:

I didn't had this hook in the car - it was missing. I found in the shop manual, how it works and bent a stud to do the job.

Thank you for your entire post on your heater box rebuild. I am about to do the same for my '70 Challenger, and will be ordering both the firewall gasket set and heater box restoration kit from DMT. Sadly, I am also missing the hook that is shown in the picture. Unfortunately, I don't have a shop manual to reference, and need to know more specifics on the size, length, and how it works, etc. Can someone help? Thanks.

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/13/13 02:40 AM

Can someone help out with this part of my heater box rebuild/resto?
I am missing the hook that is shown in the picture. Unfortunately, I don't have a shop manual to reference, and need to know more specifics on the size, length, and where it attaches up in the cowl vent, etc. Can someone help? Thanks.

Attached picture 7623864-Heaterboxhook.jpg

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/13/13 05:01 AM

This is the actual part (J-Hook) I'm in need of. Thanks.

Attached picture 7624047-J-Hook_ebay_1.JPG

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/13/13 05:12 AM

I might see if I can have these hooks made. Sure it wouldn't be a huge seller but would compliment my product line.

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/13/13 05:39 AM

Quote:

I might see if I can have these hooks made. Sure it wouldn't be a huge seller but would compliment my product line.

That would be great James. I just ordered (from you today) your Heater Box Rebuild Kit and Firewall Gasket Set. These original hooks are being sold on ebay for anywhere between $20.00 to $90.00. The ebay seller has sold everyone he has listed (at least three that I'm aware of). So obviously, they are still in high demand. BTW - the photo I attached of the "original" J-hook was copied from one of his ebay listings. Right now, I am looking for the hook and bolt. Thanks, Joe

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/13/13 08:18 AM

I would have bought it, if it were available!

I can remember that it was quite a pain to get this hook attaching to the cowl. Mine was straight (I didn't know better) but that corner in it will help a lot.

Anyway - my car is still not back on the road

To many cool things to do - including too many other things to do at that car to make it a bit more perfect. Well, the engine runs, it has brakes and exhaust, even a carpet is in. May be adding wheels, including steering wheel and seats would make it more to be nearly finished...

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/30/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

It looks like these are being repopped. Awfully expensive though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEATER-BOX-ROD-70-74-CUDA-CHALLENGER-AAR-MOPAR-E-BODY-/181112539698

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 03/31/13 07:51 PM

Ouch.

Re: Rebuilding heater/defroster unit of a Challenger - 04/13/13 05:59 AM

I thought I'd share an update on the heater box J-hook. I purchased an A-body hook on ebay for $14.00 total (see 1st photo). Using the photos and measurements that C O D Y provided, http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=91192.0 , and additional photos of other E-Body J-hooks, I fashioned one from the A-body hook. I think it came out pretty good. I believe the measurements and angles are close enough to be a working E-body heater box J-hook.

*** The last two photos are a couple of reference photos I used.

Thanks for all the help.

© 2024 Moparts Forums