Moparts

Strip elecrocoat from interior quarter panel??

Posted By: 71autoxr

Strip elecrocoat from interior quarter panel?? - 06/17/10 12:13 AM

I just finished one side install of an AMD quarter panel on an A-body (nice fit and quality, but that's not for this post).
I have stripped off the black electrocoat from the exterior before spraying epoxy primer. I am going to use 3M body Schutz on the inner of the quarter panel to give it a factory look. Do I need to remove the electrocat before spraying, or am I ok to go over it in this case?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Strip elecrocoat from interior quarter panel?? - 06/17/10 12:16 AM

I think you can just scuff it and spray over it.

I bought a car that came with a new repo hood that was coated, and it got lightly sanded and then primed and painted with no issues.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Strip elecrocoat from interior quarter panel?? - 06/17/10 12:48 AM

Why would you want to strip off the E coat? E coat is a better corrosion preventer then any spray on primer. Don't strip it off. Not even on outer side of panels. Just sand it prime or seal and top coat.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Strip elecrocoat from interior quarter panel?? - 06/17/10 10:11 AM

I'm not sure I agree with that, but for the inside it doesn't matter I have left cars sit out with just ecoated panels and after a year or so they rust. Where cars I epoxied and left sit out, just some fading. I'd scuff it good and coat it.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Strip elecrocoat from interior quarter panel?? - 06/17/10 09:45 PM

The point of E coat is not to let it sit out side unpainted. My point is why would you strip off the E coat? You just sand it prime or seal it and paint it. Every new car built in the last 20 years is E coated sealed and painted. You don't see newer cars rusted out in a couple of years like you used to. I've been doing body work and paint for 35 years. We never strip off E coat on new parts unless there junk made in China aftermarket. And we only use the aftermarket on older cars when insurence companies won't pay for OEM.
© 2024 Moparts Forums