Moparts

Who's best at steering wheel restorations

Posted By: big-block-dave

Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/16/10 03:57 AM

Looking to have a '69 3 spoke, black steering wheel restored. The usual plastic crack/gaps. Looking to have the entire thing done, who does the best job and approximate costs???
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/16/10 04:21 AM

I think it would be hard to beat A/B & E's $199 reproduction.

http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=B&cat=I&subcat=46

Attached picture 6039534-260-69B.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/16/10 05:44 AM

Looking to have RESTORED. The 3 CHROME spoke, black plastic rim wheel. I think there's a guy in Pa that does them??? Hoping to bring it to Carlisle to drop off for resto.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/16/10 06:55 AM

Good luck with that! Are those '69 Barracuda only?
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/17/10 12:37 AM

There's only two reputable steering wheel restorers in PA. Jerome Verbit and Gary's Steering Wheels. Jerome only does woodgrain wheels and doesn't go to Carlisle anymore but Gary does. Here's a link to his new website. Tell him I said hi.

Dave

www.garyssteeringwheel.com
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/17/10 01:04 AM

You ask for the "best" so that narrows the field quite easily...
By far the best for steering wheel restoration is:

DOUG LEPAK .... THE STEERING WHEEL GUY

http://www.stwheelz.com/
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/17/10 03:11 AM

Gary's Steering Wheels
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/17/10 03:50 AM

Why not support a contributing member & great guy-Dave @ Plumbeeper! He has done quite a few for me and I always go back-quality & service that he backs up.
I have been LESS than impressed with Garys wheels in the past couple years. When I called to complain he said he couldn't do any better because his best employee left.
Posted By: stwheels

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/17/10 04:17 AM

Quote:

You ask for the "best" so that narrows the field quite easily...
By far the best for steering wheel restoration is:

DOUG LEPAK .... THE STEERING WHEEL GUY

http://members.shaw.ca/stwheels/

WOW, Thanks Alan, I can't think of a better birthday present than what you wrote about me! I truly appreciate it.

Here is a wheel just like what you are talking about that I did for Magnumcharger (Robin).

Thanks again and here is a link to my new web site which is about 90% done.

Attached picture 6041120-Sideviewdone#2.jpg
Posted By: 2002bluert

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/17/10 07:04 AM

I have seen lots of Dougs wheels and they are works of art !! Wouldnt even think of anyone else to do a wheel for me.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 02:02 AM

Yes, that's a beautiful looking wheel BUT where's the "grain" in the rim?????
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 03:08 AM

I had rimblow wheels done by doug and jerome...2 different restos...I loved dougs and that is the one on my 71 cuda ....jeromes was not sharp enough for me....thats in my 70 convertible...

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 04:21 AM

Quote:

Looking to have a '69 3 spoke, black steering wheel restored. The usual plastic crack/gaps. Looking to have the entire thing done, who does the best job and approximate costs???

You were asking about a Black wheel so I posted a picture of a Black wheel ... LOL

But I guess you want to see a wood grain wheel so here is a picture of a wood grain wheel.

Attached picture 6042816-woodgrainfront.jpg
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 04:35 AM

I think what he was asking about is the somewhat rare 69 Barracuda wheel that has the 3 spokes just like the wood wheel, BUT is a colored plastic wheel with pebble ? grain texture (it's not a smooth wheel)
I had a brown one years ago , and have seen them in blue, red, & black.

Greg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 04:38 AM

another of the wood grain.

Attached picture 6042844-smallwoodgrain.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 04:43 AM

Quote:

I think what he was asking about is the somewhat rare 69 Barracuda wheel that has the 3 spokes just like the wood wheel, BUT is a colored plastic wheel with pebble ? grain texture (it's not a smooth wheel)
I had a brown one years ago , and have seen them in blue, red, & black.

Greg

ahhhh yes, thanks for the clarification Greg! I'd forgotten about those wheels.

If that's the style you need then you'll have to find an original wheel that's un-cracked and not worn down.

Sorry, no one is doing that textured finish at this time that I know of.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 11:01 PM

Quote:

I don't think they put a woodgrain texture in the solid color wheels other than wood color or at least I've never seen any. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I don't think they introduced the pebble grain texture until the 70 model year. If there are any out there, please post. Your black 69 A-body wheel should have a smooth finish. If you want it to have a pebble grain finish, you will most likely have to find a good original (if there is such a thing) like Doug stated. Woodgrain textured finish is about 99% of our work.

Your original post was wanting someone that is in PA going to Carlisle so that's why I posted your only options for hand delivery. You have the option of shipping your wheel. We receive and ship several wheels a week and have done so for years with no problems.

Good luck with your project.

Dave

Attached picture 6043859-69wood1PLUMBEEPER.COM.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 11:04 PM

Attached picture 6043863-69wood2PLUMBEEPER.COM.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/18/10 11:09 PM

Attached picture 6043871-69wood3PLUMBEEPER.COM.jpg
Posted By: myrddin

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 12:31 AM

My '69 Barracuda had the "deluxe interior" with a green 3 spoke wheel with the pebble texture and silver spokes. If I knew it was rare I would swapped it out before getting rid of the car.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 12:41 AM

The pebble grain 3 spoke wheel was in fact a '69 option
on the Barracuda. I wish I still had pics of the one I had . Mine was brown , and was cracked . I sold it on e-bay for $ 49 and the joker who bought it gave me a negative because he thought it was a woodgrain wheel , even though my ad said different.

Greg
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 12:51 AM

It is mentioned in the 1969 Plymouth data book as well;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0012.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 12:53 AM

Quote:

The pebble grain 3 spoke wheel was in fact a '69 option
on the Barracuda. I wish I still had pics of the one I had . Mine was brown , and was cracked . I sold it on e-bay for $ 49 and the joker who bought it gave me a negative because he thought it was a woodgrain wheel , even though my ad said different.

Greg

Reading is optional for some E-Bay buyers I guess. What an ultramaroon!

I've seen a couple of those wheels too but that was quite a while ago. Thanks for reminding me about them, now I'll try to find one for myself. They are pretty cool looking!

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 12:56 AM

Quote:

It is mentioned in the 1969 Plymouth data book as well;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0012.jpg

See, and with pictures to prove it too!!!

Well done my Northern friend. Keeper of all that is written on a thing called PAPER.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 01:11 AM

After my original post, I realized that Dave was asking about the STANDARD 1969 Barracuda steering wheel.
They were available in black, blue, red, green, & tan. Here is the blue one in my brothers car.

Attached picture 6044005-DSC06971.JPG

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 01:11 AM

grain

Attached picture 6044006-DSC06973.JPG

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 01:12 AM

close up

Attached picture 6044008-DSC06972.JPG

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 01:13 AM

back-side

Attached picture 6044011-DSC06974.JPG

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 01:33 AM

OOOHH OOOHH I can make that into a wood grain wheel ... LOL
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 04:50 PM

I am the best!

Just kidding...but I did do one wheel for my own 70 Superbee project. I consider myself a hobbiest and farm out 'not too much', so didn't think I had anything to lose by giving a wheel resto a shot.

Attached picture 6044818-Steeringwheelfinished1.JPG

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 06:59 PM

Good job Jeff, that looks great!
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/19/10 09:57 PM

Quote:

Good job Jeff, that looks great!

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/28/10 07:57 AM

OK, so the blue pebble grain wheel is the type i'm looking to have restored. Does anyone restore them yet?

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/28/10 01:38 PM

No, only the smooth surfaced wheels can be restored at this time. I've not seen anyone that can duplicate the pebbled details as seen on that style of wheel.
Posted By: 67satelliteman

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/29/10 04:32 PM

I've seen some of Doug's work. Very impressive!
Posted By: radiatorman

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 06/30/10 10:59 PM

Going to Carlisle?

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 07/04/10 11:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks Carl, I've had a lot of great customers down Texas way over the years. A bowl of red hot chili and a jug of beer for you my friend!
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 07/25/10 10:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Carl, I've had a lot of great customers down Texas way over the years. A bowl of red hot chili and a jug of beer for you my friend!

mmmmmm.... chili and beer.....

Count me in as one of Doug's satisfied customers. I had him do my Rimblow. Still very nice!

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 07/26/10 02:59 PM

Thanks Steve, yep there's still some chili and of course there is ALWAYS some beer in the fridge.

Attached picture 6105815-RimBlowsideshot200kb.jpg
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/04/10 09:13 PM

Doug -

I have a steering wheel from C Body with tilt/tele. It is a two spoke affair and the whole wheel is that sort of green/clear translucent plastic, like you used to see on the knobs on cigarette machines. Can you re-do those wheels?

Another wheel I have and like, that doesn't need restoration, is the 67 three spoke wheel which does not have the crossbars in the spokes - it has just two long tines per spoke. I heard they recalled these? If so I'll bet I know why...if you're not careful you can get a knuckle stuck between the tines while you are turning the wheel and it hurts a tad.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/04/10 09:39 PM

Quote:

Doug -

I have a steering wheel from C Body with tilt/tele. It is a two spoke affair and the whole wheel is that sort of green/clear translucent plastic, like you used to see on the knobs on cigarette machines. Can you re-do those wheels?

Another wheel I have and like, that doesn't need restoration, is the 67 three spoke wheel which does not have the crossbars in the spokes - it has just two long tines per spoke. I heard they recalled these? If so I'll bet I know why...if you're not careful you can get a knuckle stuck between the tines while you are turning the wheel and it hurts a tad.

Hi Greg, can you e-mail me a few pictures of both wheels? Then I can tell you if I can recreate the translucent plastic for the C-body wheel.

e-mail: stwheels@shaw.ca

LOL, yes I call them the finger cutter wheels, I always mask off the spokes as soon as I get one in! It's too tempting to put your fingers in the slots when your driving but once you slice yourself it would be the last time

There is no evidence those wheels were ever re-called so it's more of an urban legend kind of story but there is some merit to it.

Thanks, Doug

Attached picture 6122706-2163678-1967ChargerSteeringwheelwithholesinspokes.jpg
Posted By: yellow sixpack

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/06/10 01:07 AM

PLUMBEEPER...Had mine done by plumbeeper..outstanding job plus the rimblow horn switch was bad when I put it on my car almost two years later (when I was at resto point that new wheel went on) called Dave up...sent it back to him fixed no problem. He was even willing to pick up shipping both ways which I did not take him up on. He will get my next wheel. I dealt with other company "2 years ago warranty doesnt last that long" This hobby we dont put our part on right away and half the time dont even check em till its time to install.
Rob

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/06/10 04:05 AM

Doug - Here is the tilt wheel, I'll send it to your email as well.

That wheel you show is like mine but mine does not have those (what appear to be) horn bars in the spokes.

Attached picture 6125384-IMG_2681.JPG

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/09/10 04:59 PM

Quote:

Doug - Here is the tilt wheel, I'll send it to your email as well.

That wheel you show is like mine but mine does not have those (what appear to be) horn bars in the spokes.

Yes, the only way to repair (restore) that kind of material is to make any repairs needed, recreate all the details, make a mold of the wheel and then re-pour it in modern , stable clear plastic resin. I wish I had the room necessary to store all the hundreds of molds for the never ending styles of wheels out there !!!

So it is possible to get that wheel re-cast but I don't have that kind of operation. I believe there are at least 3 shops that can pour you a new wheel but I don't have their contact info. One shop is called WW Motorcars and I think they are on the East coast of the states.

The picture I posted of the "Recall wheel" is from an early ad and no one has ever seen a wheel with the horn paddles in the openings of the spokes. I'd love to try and create that very horn mechanism once I can find one of those wheels for my Coronet.

Talk to you soon, Doug
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/11/10 03:34 AM

I still have a "recall" wheel for sale. I sold the horn ring off it to someone at Carlisle a few years ago. He had a wheel and a horn pad but no ring! The horn pad is pretty hard to find so I tried to buy it off him, but he offered me good money for the ring so I sold it to him. I have a couple of the pebble grain wheels, hopefully someone will figure out how to restore them one day.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/12/10 11:58 PM

Quote:

I still have a "recall" wheel for sale. I sold the horn ring off it to someone at Carlisle a few years ago. He had a wheel and a horn pad but no ring! The horn pad is pretty hard to find so I tried to buy it off him, but he offered me good money for the ring so I sold it to him. I have a couple of the pebble grain wheels, hopefully someone will figure out how to restore them one day.

John, do you have any pictures of the horn ring? Is it like the one in the factory ad I posted????

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/13/10 03:11 PM

Here is my recall wheel wearing a Gibson's leather cover. It's brown plastic underneath.

Attached picture 6137670-IMG_2734.JPG

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/13/10 05:07 PM

When I get one for my Coronet I'll do the back of the wheel a solid color (Black or Argent) and the front wood grain. I just love the design of the spokes!

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/13/10 11:18 PM

Here's a "Re-Call" wheel in a customer's car from California. These shots were taken at MATS in Vegas this year.

Attached picture 6138270-24730_383129327045_524447045_4376175_611346_n.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/13/10 11:20 PM

... and to make it even better, look what he tows behind the Charger!!!

Attached picture 6138273-24730_383129287045_524447045_4376169_6674002_n.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/22/10 11:17 PM

Now for something completely different! I repaired/refinished this wheel for a local Edmonton customer.

It's a real Mahogany wood wheel off a 1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal. The car will be shipped to Brazil later this fall after the restoration is completed here in Edmonton.

Attached picture 6153302-phpepyLqmPM.jpg

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/23/10 12:06 AM

Here's what the car looks like.

Attached picture 6153381-1970AlfaRomeoMontreal.jpg
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/31/10 03:52 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-MOPAR...sQ5fAccessories

First one I've ever saw with something in the spokes.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/31/10 04:53 PM

Quote:

OMFG I knew there had to be one out there somewhere. That is absolutely gorgeous !!!

Other than the picture of the one in the ad I posted I've never seen another till now either ... stunning.

Attached picture 6168980-1967ChargerSteeringwheelwithholesinspokes.jpg
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/31/10 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OMFG I knew there had to be one out there somewhere. That is absolutely gorgeous !!!

Other than the picture of the one in the ad I posted I've never seen another till now either ... stunning.

Only problem is he wants more for the wheel than the car sold for new... Ok more than the car & a couple weeks on a tropical island...

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 08/31/10 11:58 PM

I agree Randy, but that's as rare a Mopar part as I've ever seen. Many (many many many) people have told me that the wheel in the ad was only a pre-production prototype and none were ever released to the public.

Till now I believed that but to actually see this wheel complete and NOS is just a big thrill for me ... sorry but I'm a bit of a geek that way LOL

The E-bay auction really made my day....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/01/10 03:01 AM

Quote:

Who's best at steering wheel restorations

ME!

Well, at least for my junk anyway...

Really bad shape teal steering wheel that was cracked and busted to where plastic was rotating on steel core in some places.

We'll see how well the PC7 epoxy holds up but I'm worried that it'll have issues after a few heat cycles...

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/01/10 03:04 AM

One more:

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/01/10 03:07 AM

Up close:

It was really bad here and I essentially had to re-sculpt the entire area since it was all busted. Really should've taken before shots.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/02/10 03:54 PM

That looks great Mark!

As for the PC7, only time will tell, but I stopped using it 15 years ago for exactly the reason you mentioned. I still use it for repairs around the house though.
Posted By: Firepowerflyer

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/02/10 06:49 PM

What is the starting cost/average restoration for a 69 three spoke (wood) wheel?It's in pretty nice shape only one crack or seperation.
Thanks Joe

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/02/10 08:07 PM

Quote:

What is the starting cost/average restoration for a 69 three spoke (wood) wheel?It's in pretty nice shape only one crack or seperation.
Thanks Joe

Hi Joe, if you e-mail me at : stwheels@shaw.ca

I can send you a list of questions I need answered to give a price and turnaround time.

Thanks, Doug

Attached File
6173994-Sportwheel#11  (72 downloads)
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/03/10 03:48 AM

I have a Good 69 wood grain wheel that has been sitting for sometime and the spokes have some medium/light surface rust starting.
WHAT would be a Good thing to use on them???
A liquid cleaner, 000 steel wool, SOS pad, etc????
It has rust right up against the wood part and I don't want to damage the wood.
Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
David

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/03/10 04:37 AM

Quote:

I have a Good 69 wood grain wheel that has been sitting for sometime and the spokes have some medium/light surface rust starting.
WHAT would be a Good thing to use on them???
A liquid cleaner, 000 steel wool, SOS pad, etc????
It has rust right up against the wood part and I don't want to damage the wood.
Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
David

Hi David, any mild cleaning agent or gel rust remover will get light surface rust off. Whenever you rub the spokes with anything always go down the length of the spokes, never in circles or across the spokes.

For any rust spots in pits and along the recessed lines down the length of the spokes and around the rectangular openings in the spokes you can use a bamboo skewer to pick out the rust. The bamboo is hard enough to dislodge the corrosion but soft enough not to damage/scratch the plating. A pointed skewer is great for rubbing off that surface rust up near the rim too. The strands on the length of the bamboo are fairly tough so you can put a little metal cleaner on the rust, let it soften any crud for a while and then use the skewer to rub off the rust and such.

Once all the rust is removed to your satisfaction you can use a non abrasive metal cleaner on the spokes followed by carnuba wax. Spread the wax all over the spokes and let it dry thoroughly before buffing with a soft rag or microfiber towel.

If you've been careful the spokes will come out with a beautiful satin sheen that will be protected by the wax.

Attached picture 6175026-100_1672.jpg
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/03/10 07:56 AM

Thanks Doug for the tips.
I will have to try it after we get back from the races this weekend.
Any brand of product you like Best???
Thanks Again.
David

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/03/10 05:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks Doug for the tips.
I will have to try it after we get back from the races this weekend.
Any brand of product you like Best???
Thanks Again.
David

Your Welcome David! Good Luck at the track this weekend

I use a rust removing gel made by Dominion Sure Seal ltd. It's just an off the shelve product that is available at Canadian Tire here in Canada. I'm sure there is something similar at any one of the many auto stores in your area.It's made for removing rust from any plated surface and leaves a protective coating to prevent further problems.

I also use Mothers mag polish. Remember never use a mechanical polishing device (Dremel etc ...) as they are too aggressive and will leave the surface too shiny. The best material I found is microfiber cloth and make sure you only rub down the length of the spokes, never in circles or across the spoke.

For extra protection a bit of Carnuba wax will seal the deal.

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 09/16/10 01:02 AM

Boats got wheels too! This is a customers vessel in Ontario, I also refinished the Ivory dash piece.

Attached picture 6198270-BOAT.jpg
Posted By: rexus31

Re: Who's best at steering wheel restorations - 10/11/10 10:33 PM

I used Quality Restorations in Poway, CA for the wheel and shift knob for my '65 300 Convertible restoration. Dennis does phenomenal work in pouring the new parts which are guaranteed to not crack or fade for as long as I own the car. He even made a mold for the shift knob and poured both in the original color which he told me was Rose Pearl.

http://www.qualityrestorations.com/

© 2024 Moparts Forums