Moparts

Console Question

Posted By: NITROUSN

Console Question - 12/16/07 09:32 PM

I had bought a used console for an automatic for my 69 charger project. I am going to run the keisler 5 speed. I bought a reproduction 4 speed top plate which does not lay down on the plastic console properly. The auto plate fits perfect. My question is will the auto and 4 speed factory top plates fit the console properly? Or is the auto console only fit a auto top plate? I always thought they interchanged just the plastic part had the manual kick out. I just want to be sure before i arrange to return it.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 10:09 PM

The word around here is the repo top plates don't fit...Which really stinks cause I could use a set...

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 10:37 PM

Quote:

The word around here is the repo top plates don't fit...Which really stinks cause I could use a set...

I wish I had known that before I bought it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 10:55 PM

depends on who you bought it from. i've heard pg classics fit very, very poorly because its not made 100% like the originals. if you use B/E/A's repo top plates, ive heard theirs are dead on and fit perfectly----ive yet to buy a set though. i need a set of 4speed plates for my 70 R/T console and im thinking of just buying originals and having them replated.....for the price of a new one, might wanna just go that route?

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 11:06 PM

Quote:

depends on who you bought it from. i've heard pg classics fit very, very poorly because its not made 100% like the originals. if you use B/E/A's repo top plates, ive heard theirs are dead on and fit perfectly----ive yet to buy a set though. i need a set of 4speed plates for my 70 R/T console and im thinking of just buying originals and having them replated.....for the price of a new one, might wanna just go that route?

My understanding is BEA sells PG's product...

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My understanding is BEA sells PG's product...

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 11:11 PM

So i am correct that the plastic console is the same fit wise at the shift plate weather its an auto or 4 speed.

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 11:11 PM

hmmm, news to me---great! will someone flippin reproduce parts correctly then

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 11:16 PM

Quote:

So i am correct that the plastic console is the same fit wise at the shift plate weather its an auto or 4 speed.

Yes...

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 11:18 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't see any reason for it's an expensive part that needs to be right, I'm always bothered that someone would reproduce a part but not take the time to get it right...
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Console Question - 12/16/07 11:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't see any reason for it's an expensive part that needs to be right, I'm always bothered that someone would reproduce a part but not take the time to get it right...

Ever see a reproduction Superbird nose rub strip?

Actually pitiful.
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 12:08 AM

i used a pg top plate on a 69 b body last yr and it fit,ah,... was not to great.when the plate was slipped into the front of the console,the rear didnt lay down flat.kinda of a potato chip shape of sorts.i pushed it down to make it work,and wasnt impressed,for the price of the stupid part,that we all need bad.but as we give up our jobs,to china,and buy more of the stuff the produce,maybe some day we will admit,....opps.

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 01:26 AM

Quote:

i used a pg top plate on a 69 b body last yr and it fit,ah,... was not to great.when the plate was slipped into the front of the console,the rear didnt lay down flat.kinda of a potato chip shape of sorts.i pushed it down to make it work,and wasnt impressed,for the price of the stupid part,that we all need bad.but as we give up our jobs,to china,and buy more of the stuff the produce,maybe some day we will admit,....opps.

Thats the way mine fits. Plus it was to wide at the screw tabs. I was able to grind that down about 1/8 or so on each side. I thought that was the problem. I can force it into place but its really flexing the console a lot.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 01:43 AM

Nitrousin---Read what I wrote in your other thread I am glad I spent 1k for a complete mint '68 4spd. console after the horror stories of spending $$$$ only to hang the part on the wall...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post4011978

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 01:57 AM

Quote:

Nitrousin---Read what I wrote in your other thread I am glad I spent 1k for a complete mint '68 4spd. console after the horror stories of spending $$$$ only to hang the part on the wall...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post4011978

Thanks for the input. Thats funny i said i missed anything about them and in the post you replied in was started by me on the a-pillar mlds. I never paid any attention to what you said. Problem is i bought mine 4 months ago. It looked fine but i never tried to fit it. I was fitting the console and getting the brackets in place so i figured i will toss the lid on to check the floor hole fitting where the shift tower come through. Thats where i came across the ill fitting lid. We will see if anything gets done on it. Thanks for the input. At least i know it is not all me.

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 02:28 AM

The bad thing is even though it's a product that doesn't fit. You will be told it was modified(grinded on) so it cannot be returned. So they can't sell it to someone else.. Since there are alot of repo's out there I thought about posting a thread about repo parts and which ones are good/bad BUT after a thinking about it...BAD IDEA...It would be locked and useless in about an hour..I can see it,many people talking second hand and then get into the whole chinese vs US made repo debate will put a dagger in it... And because of this alot of people have to spend $$$$ before they realize the parts are pretty much useless....

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 03:20 AM

The bummer is it's very much a needed part & PG/BEA have brought quite a few needed parts out that fit & work fine, this part happens to be fairly expensive & it should be made right...I'm glad someone bought the perfect 68 4spd console, unfortunately for me I need a 68 auto console & while I have very nice used parts I'd like a correct "new" part...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 04:59 AM

Quote:

The bummer is it's very much a needed part & PG/BEA have brought quite a few needed parts out that fit & work fine, this part happens to be fairly expensive & it should be made right...I'm glad someone bought the perfect 68 4spd console, unfortunately for me I need a 68 auto console & while I have very nice used parts I'd like a correct "new" part...

Even worse, if someone else wanted to reproduce this console the correct way with the correct curvature, who would do it now? The market is so tight two choices for parts kills it.

So the first guy to the dance spoils it if they mess up.

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 04:09 PM

Quote:

I agree about PG classic helping the hobby but when dealing with aftermarket parts not all of it is good and many are already being made before they make the same thing again...Look at how many generations of Challenger qtrs have been stamped before them got them right...

I was the one who paid $1,000 for the 68 4spd Console..Reason I wrote I was glad was cause as soon as I bought it all the top plates and chrome came out...Feeling like I should have waited I am glad I didn't knowing it fits like crap...I try and buy nos or perfect original parts when I can so a grand was alot and had me thinking. After seeing the prices,buying all the "repo" stuff would have cost me more probably about $500-700 more...
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Console Question - 12/17/07 08:24 PM

the strange thing is the other products i see being produced by pg,are pretty nice.the 70 runner signal lenses,70 cuda front sig lenses,ect.i havent installed all the stuff,but looks pretty nice sitting on the tables at the swaps,so WHY didnt they ,make sure the console top was ok??? its a highly needed and noticable part.why would you let the crap out of china,and or why would the us vendors except it? just wondering,i guess we need parts so bad,we still buy it? gee i wish my brother in law lived in china.....
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Console Question - 12/18/07 11:55 AM

Quote:

.....Even worse, if someone else wanted to reproduce this console the correct way with the correct curvature, who would do it now? The market is so tight two choices for parts kills it.

So the first guy to the dance spoils it if they mess up.

I don't know. If the demand is there to support making the part and Company A is making the part exactly as original and Company B is making one that is so bad it doesn't fit, would anybody buy Company B's part? Even if it was a sizable price difference, who would buy something that won't fit? As long as the pricing is comparable to good used, I think Company A would make it and Company B wouldn't. If there was a vendor making perfect E-body door panels, do you think the current vendor would ever sell another one?
Posted By: stimpy

Re: Console Question - 12/18/07 02:27 PM

Is there anyone out there who restores the console plates?

Re: Console Question - 12/23/07 03:47 AM

Quote:

Is there anyone out there who restores the console plates?

69-70 plates you can probably find a plater who will do a good job, it won't be cheap but it can be done, 68 has allot more detail where the woodgrain is on a 69-70... My high end plater guy quoted $1,200.00 four years ago with no garantee of what would happen price or finished product wise till he had striped the original chrome...
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Console Question - 12/23/07 01:29 PM

Sometimes the thinking of these Companies is that consumers should be happy that they made the part to begin with.
All little trimming here and there is better than an all pitted part. Or if only 3 out of ten come back, that's not bad.
I strongly disagree with this thinking. If one is going to invest substantial sums of money to reproduce a part,
then please make sure you trial fit your prototype and once it fits, go ahead and market the devil out of it.
Word gets around fast when a part is top notch and this promotes other parts you may have for sale. A bad part will
do lots of damage to your name. I guess it sometimes boils down to what is more important: making money or making quality.
My thinking is that if you make quality to begin with, the money will follow.
Jules
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Console Question - 12/23/07 01:54 PM

Quote:

Sometimes the thinking of these Companies is that consumers should be happy that they made the part to begin with.
All little trimming here and there is better than an all pitted part. Or if only 3 out of ten come back, that's not bad.
I strongly disagree with this thinking. If one is going to invest substantial sums of money to reproduce a part,
then please make sure you trial fit your prototype and once it fits, go ahead and market the devil out of it.
Word gets around fast when a part is top notch and this promotes other parts you may have for sale. A bad part will
do lots of damage to your name. I guess it sometimes boils down to what is more important: making money or making quality.
Jules

My thoughts exactly...

I just fail to understand the logic behind some of these reproduction parts. Take the E body door panels. I think they are terrible. Or the Just Dashes supposedly "concours"(a term that they use in their advertising) dash services. Or the poor fitting repop rallye trim rings. If you are going to go through the trouble, why not make it right??

Mike

Re: Console Question - 12/23/07 03:39 PM

I sent BEA an e-mail on the lid fitting issues but never got an answer. Maybe he will see this and respond.
Posted By: EWJ

Re: Console Question - 12/23/07 03:45 PM

Quote:

I sent BEA an e-mail on the lid fitting issues but never got an answer. Maybe he will see this and respond.

Hope so...I have a set as well, not yet installed.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Console Question - 12/23/07 04:48 PM

Quote:

Jules

Mike @ BEA is the exception, a good guy and always does the right thing. Call him about your concerns!

Re: Console Question - 12/27/07 03:24 AM

Quote:

He does not care to respond. Its all about selling and no customer service. E-mails. PM's on two sites and he wont address the issue.

I would like to buy upper charger door panels all 4 and a dash pad along with many more items. But I am having second thoughts.
Posted By: OLD318

Re: Console Question - 12/28/07 12:32 PM

Quote:

Jules

Here is what I don't get... We're days away from 2008 not 1968.. With CAD/CAM, and todays's technology..

Why is it a company today can't satisfactorily produce a 40 year old part at LEAST as good as its 1968 counterpart?

What manufacturing processes existed in 1968 that allowed a company to produce a top plate for a console that today's technology just can't do?

Our IPods and Cell phones have more technology that all of NASA had when we went to the moon
in 1969

But we still can't make a simple plastic/metal part? We were able to do this 40 years ago?
But we can't today?

C'mon... don't give me this union crap
We had unions in the late 60's even more then
than now!!!

What gives... why is this so hard to do?

Re: Console Question - 12/28/07 01:22 PM

Quote:

.....Here is what I don't get... We're days away from 2008 not 1968.. With CAD/CAM, and todays's technology..

Why is it a company today can't satisfactorily produce a 40 year old part at LEAST as good as its 1968 counterpart?

What manufacturing processes existed in 1968 that allowed a company to produce a top plate for a console that today's technology just can't do?

Our IPods and Cell phones have more technology that all of NASA had when we went to the moon
in 1969

But we still can't make a simple plastic/metal part? We were able to do this 40 years ago?
But we can't today?

than now!!!

I look at a firm like Orange County Choppers or even Boyd Coddington that has the ability to make a 3-D part in software and then transition it directly to a finished piece with a CNC machine tool. Yes, I don't expect every piece to be machined but why couldn't more accurate molds or dies be done this way? Especially with parts you can hold in your hand.
Posted By: Big_John

Re: Console Question - 12/28/07 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.....Here is what I don't get... We're days away from 2008 not 1968.. With CAD/CAM, and todays's technology..

in 1969

But we can't today?

than now!!!

I look at a firm like Orange County Choppers or even Boyd Coddington that has the ability to make a 3-D part in software and then transition it directly to a finished piece with a CNC machine tool. Yes, I don't expect every piece to be machined but why couldn't more accurate molds or dies be done this way? Especially with parts you can hold in your hand.

There's a lot more to it.

First, you have to "reverse engineer" the part. That means taking an existing piece and building the tooling using that part. You'll have to take into consideration things like shrinkage of the plastic, type of plastic, where it will be injected, vented, cooled and what type of injection moulding machine is to be used on.

Now you have to build the tooling and its not cheap to do it right. Lots of hand work by skilled moldmakers went into building the original tooling, something that would be cost prohibitive today in a piece as large as a console. Modern machinery can't duplicate some of that work no matter what anybody says. Ask someone in the business if you don't believe it.

I just touched on a couple of the challenges involved. It comes down to cost. Tooling up to make a hundred thousand parts makes it resonable to make the tooling. Making a couple hundred parts makes you cut some corners to make money. Honestly, from what I've seen, very few plastic parts that size are injection molded anymore. The plastic companys I've been in are using thermal formed plastic for their larger parts.

You mention that Coddington and the clowns from OCC could make tooling. Keep in mind those are one off custom made parts. Doesn't fit? File it down until it does. Screw one up? No problem, make another... They're making parts, not hard tooling.

Building the right injection molding die might cost $100,000 or more to do it right. Given the limited market, it would be hard to justify that kind of cash outlay. If the repop costs $1000, how many people are going to buy one? I'm not going to, I'll look for a used original first.

You can do it cheaper, and that's exactly what is done with a lot of repops. You get something that looks like it and may be a good replacement, but it might not exactly look like it or fit like the old one.

Re: Console Question - 12/28/07 07:55 PM

I agree that technology hasn't made this into a complete no brainer, BUT..... The industry has come a long way from using 'shrink rules' to dimension molds and dies. As to reverse engineering, in my business there are a considerable number of vendors that do reverse engineering using anything from manual measurements to FARO equipment. It all ends up in some software like Solidworks and then on to machining.

But this is missing the point here. Someone went through ALL this or something similar to produce what is now available. Would it have been that much more difficult to hold better tolerances to get an accurate part that fit rather than just a part?
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Console Question - 12/29/07 11:25 AM

I have received numerous private emails pertaining to this post and that I should respond to the issues. I have been aware of the thread, however, I didn’t want to jump on without all my ducks in a row.

Both the 67-68 & 69-70 4-speed top plate tools have issues, a lot of the parts coming out of the tool are bad. I’ve been test fitting all the top plates since 3:00 am. this morning and what I found was many of the 4-speed plates, from the batch I tested, are junk no question. All the automatic plates fitment was correct, they were made from totally different tooling then the 4-speed plates. If any customers on MOPARTS can chime in on the auto plates that would be greatly appreciated.

We are in the process of checking the numbers between the digital scan and the solid model of the auto plate compared to the 4-speed plate and see where we missed the boat. A new tool will have to be made for both pieces, I can assure you I will personally beta test the first parts that come out of them.

Lets not get into a “should of” discussion here, we are in the process of making the parts correctly. All customers with poor fitting 4-speed top plates will be sent new ones when they come available which could be in about 60 days (I hope). You must contact your point of purchase to start the ball rolling, NO ONE will be left holding the bag.

Like I have said in the past, a company is not judged on the quality of a product alone, it’s how they react to adversity where they make the grade. I’ve been restoring my own cars for over 25 years and I know the drama of poor quality parts with attitudes from suppliers that leave much to be desired. As owner of this company I refuse to offer junk parts. Why didn’t you guys contact us and give me the opportunity to show you how we conduct business? That really hurt my feelings, I missed out on an “ata boy.” Just kidding. If you do not let us know, how can we correct the problem? Quality companies elevate themselves to controversy.

Try us, give us a chance to earn your business.

Also, I would like to personally thank all the members for a great year and look forward to working with you in the future.

Have a great new Year and stay off the roads New Years eve, that's tourist night behind the wheel.

Respectfully,

Michael C. Ross – Owner
B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc.
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

Re: Console Question - 12/29/07 02:17 PM

Mike, just a few thoughts;

1) Thanks for taking the time to PM me on this topic
2) I applaud you for coming out with this approach
3) Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey

My plan is to revisit this in three months and see what progress has been made. Don't get me wrong, this is a great approach but I've been left at the altar before.

Re: Console Question - 12/29/07 04:37 PM

Quote:

Mike, just a few thoughts;

1) Thanks for taking the time to PM me on this topic
2) I applaud you for coming out with this approach
3) Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey

My plan is to revisit this in three months and see what progress has been made. Don't get me wrong, this is a great approach but I've been left at the altar before.

100%
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Console Question - 12/30/07 10:59 PM

Thankd for the posts guys, buy my calculations, by the time i bought those similar parts for my three cars, I would have been out $1,800!

That's why I love moparts, people are never afraid to post personal information for others. I guess I'll be taking my consoles don't to shop for some re-evaluating.

Re: Console Question - 12/30/07 11:24 PM

Miguel did you read Mike (Hemicuda's) post about four spaces above? The problem will be getting fixed...
Posted By: DONS_BEE

Re: Console Question - 12/31/07 04:34 AM

Thanks Mike for the response. These parts have been out now for quite awhile, if people were having problems with the fit, they should have contacted BEA Parts or the vendor in which the parts were purchased. I know, as a business owner myself, that I would rather get the feedback and correct the problem, instead of hearing about it on a forum where everybody is b-i-t-c-h-i-n-g about one of my products or service and not even knowing there was a problem.

Re: Console Question - 12/31/07 11:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks Mike for the response. These parts have been out now for quite awhile, if people were having problems with the fit, they should have contacted BEA Parts or the vendor in which the parts were purchased. I know, as a business owner myself, that I would rather get the feedback and correct the problem, instead of hearing about it on a forum where everybody is b-i-t-c-h-i-n-g about one of my products or service and not even knowing there was a problem.

In a perfect world where every vendor values his reputation, strives to provide a superior product, and is responsive to customer feedback, yeah maybe it would happen as you would prefer. But after putting up with sheet metal that doesn't fit, WOM's that look like their for another brand, chrome trim that is too short or too narrow, etc., etc. and NOTHING happens after bringing this to the vendor's attention repeatedly.....

Like I said earlier, I've been left at the altar before, let's see how this plays out.

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 11:13 AM

As promised, the 4-speed console plates have been retooled, personally tested by me and are in stock now.

Michael C. Ross - Owner
B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc.
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 02:18 PM

who is responsible for the return postage

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 03:04 PM

Quote:

If purchased from B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc. we would be ofcourse, it certainly wasn't the customers fault as long as the plate is one of the bad ones.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 03:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If purchased from B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc. we would be ofcourse, it certainly wasn't the customers fault as long as the plate is one of the bad ones.

Of course, the right thing to do. Another great business standing behind their quality and product.

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 05:30 PM

As this post has been brought back from the dead...This is a good time to thank Mike Ross for actually following through & making this right...

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 06:29 PM

and if it wasn't bought thru BEA, does the retailer or the retail customer eat it when it's neither ones fault

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 06:48 PM

As being the original starter of this post I would like to put closure on my issues. My problems have been resolved. I will take some of the blame for not handling them in the proper manner.

I will say that Mike Ross is a stand up guy and put me in the right direction to resolving my problems. He also has earned my trust and future buisness. Mike is very knowledgeable and has a lot of answers for the restoration projects. Thanks mike.

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 06:50 PM

Quote:

and if it wasn't bought thru BEA, does the retailer or the retail customer eat it when it's neither ones fault

I am not sure what your question or problem is? Normal course of action would be to contact your seller to discuss the problem.

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 07:12 PM

The post was brought up, I thought i'd ask.
I don't feel I should have to pay return postage and I don't thinks it's fair for the retailer to pay it either.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in 1969

But we can't today?

than now!!!

First, you have to "reverse engineer" the part. That means taking an existing piece and building the tooling using that part. You'll have to take into consideration things like shrinkage of the plastic, type of plastic, where it will be injected, vented, cooled and what type of injection moulding machine is to be used on.

Now you have to build the tooling and its not cheap to do it right. Lots of hand work by skilled moldmakers went into building the original tooling, something that would be cost prohibitive today in a piece as large as a console. Modern machinery can't duplicate some of that work no matter what anybody says. Ask someone in the business if you don't believe it.

I just touched on a couple of the challenges involved. It comes down to cost. Tooling up to make a hundred thousand parts makes it resonable to make the tooling. Making a couple hundred parts makes you cut some corners to make money. Honestly, from what I've seen, very few plastic parts that size are injection molded anymore. The plastic companys I've been in are using thermal formed plastic for their larger parts.

You mention that Coddington and the clowns from OCC could make tooling. Keep in mind those are one off custom made parts. Doesn't fit? File it down until it does. Screw one up? No problem, make another... They're making parts, not hard tooling.

Building the right injection molding die might cost $100,000 or more to do it right. Given the limited market, it would be hard to justify that kind of cash outlay. If the repop costs $1000, how many people are going to buy one? I'm not going to, I'll look for a used original first.

You can do it cheaper, and that's exactly what is done with a lot of repops. You get something that looks like it and may be a good replacement, but it might not exactly look like it or fit like the old one.

This is some good explanation to the classic rant of 'why can't they make these parts better'.

I'll stick my neck out for bashing here - many of the folks that complain about the quality of a part don't realize all the subtleties of engineering an item for form, fit, and function (or finance!). As mentioned, reverse engineering isn't that straightforward.

Don't like a repop part? Research the situation and find out what it takes to reproduce the parts yourself. I've been down this road and it's very difficult and expensive to bring a part back from the dead -- for anythign but the popular or expensive cars it's just not cost-effective.

Restoration suppliers don't have the resources that GM, Ford and Chrysler did. I have a friend that worked for GM designing headlights and taillights. Usually took several people a full six months to do a single part. Wanna guess how many parts they throw away during testing due to unforseen design flaws? I work at a company that tests automotive parts at temps from -50 to 200°C -- I see the efforts spent bringing a part to market. Repop houses don't have the funds for what the OEMs do so they have to cut some corners.

I'm not saying vendors should knowingly sell junk. My point is that if a part is within 90% of original you should be happy -- happy that the part found its way to market and fits as well as it does...

Re: Console Question - 08/15/08 10:17 PM

Quote:

The post was brought up, I thought i'd ask.
I don't feel I should have to pay return postage and I don't thinks it's fair for the retailer to pay it either.

Come on you have to be kidding postage. What are you shipping back an elephant. Your retailer should be working with you to resolve the problem. If its wrong you need to send it back.
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Console Question - 08/16/08 03:58 AM

Mike @ BE&A, I sent you a pm.

Re: Console Question - 08/16/08 06:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in 1969

But we can't today?

than now!!!

This is some good explanation to the classic rant of 'why can't they make these parts better'.

I'll stick my neck out for bashing here - many of the folks that complain about the quality of a part don't realize all the subtleties of engineering an item for form, fit, and function (or finance!). As mentioned, reverse engineering isn't that straightforward.

Don't like a repop part? Research the situation and find out what it takes to reproduce the parts yourself. I've been down this road and it's very difficult and expensive to bring a part back from the dead -- for anythign but the popular or expensive cars it's just not cost-effective.

Restoration suppliers don't have the resources that GM, Ford and Chrysler did. I have a friend that worked for GM designing headlights and taillights. Usually took several people a full six months to do a single part. Wanna guess how many parts they throw away during testing due to unforseen design flaws? I work at a company that tests automotive parts at temps from -50 to 200°C -- I see the efforts spent bringing a part to market. Repop houses don't have the funds for what the OEMs do so they have to cut some corners.

I'm not saying vendors should knowingly sell junk. My point is that if a part is within 90% of original you should be happy -- happy that the part found its way to market and fits as well as it does...

Very good points here. Reproduction parts, in general, are held to a higher standard. That's understandable since they are new parts.

Other factors are some of the original parts didn't fit that well and we try to copy the original part as close as humanly possible. Have you ever studied a bbody console assembly and see how all the plates line up together on an original? You can get them to fit nice with some tweaking, but why should you have to seeing it’s original?

Unfortunately all of us are in love with some of the worst built cars as it pertains to quality control. For example, when enough of the Goodmark Cuda fenders are installed you might hear the fenders are a little short on the top edge where it meets the top front edge of the door on both sides. I have 5 original Cudas and one being a super low mileage survivor with the same issue and not by a little bit.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not making excuses for the 4-speed top plates. Those were the same as a shortstop booting around a grounder until he finely sticks a fork in it. Many of them were awful, never should have hit the market and I’ll take total blame for the part.

I guess the lesson is two fold, as a manufacturer, we need to be diligent in the production and on the other hand, the customer needs to communicate to us any issues.

DO NOT BUY ANY 4-SPEED TOP PLATES FROM jiema8 ON EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The plates he has are the old ones that somehow walked out the back door along with several other parts when we made them. We will not be responsible for the stuff this guy is selling. That's why it's important to have proof of purchase.

We have long since been guarding our tooling and keeping track of production pieces so this doesn't happen again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums