Moparts

'69 440 in Coronet R/T

Posted By: wkroncke17

'69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/01/10 01:10 PM

Im in need of some pictures please!!
Im putting back together the 440 for my Coronet, and the pics I took did not turn out so well.
Does anyone have any pics of their 440 out of the car with the motor mounts, and or the power steering pump installed?
I took it out with the p/s pump on, so Im assuming I'll put the motor back in with it on?
Also, If anyone has any routing of the fuel lines/vapor seporator, those would be much appreciated also!!
Non A/C car if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!!

Wally.
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/01/10 02:14 PM

wally i may have some. I can look Where are you at? I also am in Wi. and have 1969 Coronet R/T's. would love to see some pics.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/01/10 02:29 PM

http://www.hoffmanswinnerscircle.com/69rtconvertible/index.htm

Look around the linked website

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/01/10 08:15 PM

Quote:

wally i may have some. I can look Where are you at? I also am in Wi. and have 1969 Coronet R/T's. would love to see some pics.

Kevin,
I'm in Kenosha - far Southeast.
I appreciate everyones help!!

Wally.

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 07:28 PM

Bump....Anyone else?
I think I'll just put it together and try to post pics, you guys can tell me whats wrong if anything.
My memory is shot though!!

Wally.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 08:37 PM

Wally,
The link posted above was pretty good.

M

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 09:07 PM

Very good pics in that link. What a gorgeous convertible!!
The oranges looks really shiny doesnt it? Or maybe its just me?
I wanted to see detail of the motor mount, if it goes in front, or behind the ears on the engine.
I also wanted to see a detail of the fuel line from the pump to the carb.

Thanks again!!
Posted By: RJS

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 10:37 PM

Here you go

Attached picture 6017249-IMG_0351(Large).JPG

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 10:37 PM

next

Attached picture 6017250-IMG_0352(Large).JPG

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 10:38 PM

another

Attached picture 6017251-IMG_0353(Large).JPG

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 10:38 PM

again

Attached picture 6017252-IMG_0354(Large).JPG

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/02/10 10:39 PM

last

Attached picture 6017255-IMG_0355(Large).JPG

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 03:53 AM

The fuel pumps were painted orange??
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 01:43 PM

Beautiful 440... But shouldn't the dipstick tube be routed between the exhaust manifold and valve cover?
Posted By: Firepowerflyer

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 02:00 PM

I don't think there's a right or wrong way on the dip stick.I've seen them both ways.It might have been a difference in where it was built,I've seen factory photos of them on the inside but production survivors had them on the outside.?
Joe
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 02:07 PM

Ron,
excellant pictures. to bad you sold the car.
so,,,,,,whats next?

sorry for the hijack

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 03:03 PM

Quote:

I don't think there's a right or wrong way on the dip stick.I've seen them both ways.It might have been a difference in where it was built,I've seen factory photos of them on the inside but production survivors had them on the outside.?
Joe

Im glad someone asked this question, thanks!
Thank you again guys for all of the pics, you all have some really nice cars/engines!!
Im not positive on the fuel pumps though.
From the factorty, the fuel pumps were painted orange?
Also, the manifolds....were they orange, and it just burnt off, and just raw cast iron was left?

Thank you again everyone!!

Wally.

P.S. - dont mind the hi-jack!! I usually learn more when somebody else asks extra stuff!!!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 03:11 PM

Yes the fuel pump & manifolds were painted

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 04:28 PM

Yes, basically anything required on per engine regardless of options was engine color. Such as the both exhaust manifolds,fuel pump, negative battery cable, spark plug wire shields etc.

paint coverage will vary greatly with each individual painter that was responsible on the line. I've seen fuel pumps completely covered to some just barely a misting of color. Those with just a misting of color will usually also be very lighly covered towards the lower parts of said engine, such as the bottom of the oil pan will be bare steel and the top edges of the block core plugs will also be bare steel.

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 06:21 PM

Quote:

Joe

Hey Joe...
Here's my 1st 1970 440 v-code Charger R/T before it was restored by me. In the picture it's in unrestored condition.

Attached picture 6025135-myold6bbl_D.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 06:23 PM

And here, you may or may not be able to make it out, but the dipstick again is between the valve cover and manifold. This is from my former '71 Charger R/T survivor. I may have some better pictures at home.
The dipstick handle can be seen between the driver's side air cleaner snorkel and a/c muffler..

Attached picture 6025137-TH_RT_09_l.jpg
Posted By: a4runer

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 09:26 PM

Wally,
It's Bruce out in Paris if you still have my Phone number give me a call I have a very good book for you to look at that will help you alot.
By the way thanks for the powder coating dash looked great but I had to go back to paint in the end.

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 10:00 PM

Quote:

Beautiful 440... But shouldn't the dipstick tube be routed between the exhaust manifold and valve cover?

Up to and including 69 the dipstick should be outside the exhaust manifold. From 70 on they were between the exhaust manifold and valve cover. But for over 100 years there were dipsticks behind the wheel!!!!:)

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 10:06 PM

Here's my old 70 GTX to show dipstick:

Attached picture 6025396-P9100020(Large)(2).JPG
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/07/10 11:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Up to and including 69 the dipstick should be outside the exhaust manifold. From 70 on they were between the exhaust manifold and valve cover. But for over 100 years there were dipsticks behind the wheel!!!!:)

Ding..ding....ding....we have a winner!
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 04:07 AM

VERY NICE! I'm not busting your chops, so please don't think I am!
Now, take out those Autolite plugs and stick in some Champions! Also, the ps return hoses were dated & coded-that stuff being sold as "correct ma mopar" stuff is FAR from right...

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Awesome.. Now, time to correct my Daytona... Just found out too the handle to the dip stick itself is black... Thanks Jim over there on the "dark side".

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Awesome.. Now, time to correct my Daytona... Just found out too the handle to the dip stick itself is black... Thanks Jim over there on the "dark side".

What color should the dipstick tube and handle be on 69's??

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From what I'm gathering, tube, left alone, natural. The dipstick handle loop is going to be black or natural.........

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From what I'm gathering, tube, left alone, natural. The dipstick handle loop is going to be black or natural.........

In the pics already posted, they are orange?

And on some, the tube looks chrome? Maybe thats the lighting in the picture reflecting on the natural finish??

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 05:59 PM

Here's what Bill posted on the Charger Board.. Unrestored survivor '69 'Bee..
And, you have to remember that in '70 and '71, the tubing was routed in between the cover and manifold and the handle was painted orange.

Attached picture 6026585-IMG_4515.jpg
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 07:43 PM

Quote:

Ron,
excellant pictures. to bad you sold the car.
so,,,,,,whats next?

sorry for the hijack

I concur

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 09:39 PM

Quote:

VERY NICE! I'm not busting your chops, so please don't think I am!
Now, take out those Autolite plugs and stick in some Champions! Also, the ps return hoses were dated & coded-that stuff being sold as "correct ma mopar" stuff is FAR from right...

Not a problem Paul, but from what I remember (memory isn't what it used to be) the low pressure hose was purchased from one of the "good" vendors out there and the high pressure was NOS but correct for the 6 BBL Cuda I sold before I restored this 440.

Oh and I wouldn't put Champions in any engine I cared about!!!!!! Ron

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/08/10 09:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As far as the dip stick tube it is natural in those pictures(flash makes it look chrome) and the handle should be dipped in orange paint. I believe the Super Bee referenced was a lift off and they had Black handles.

I'd love to hear proof positive from a restorer like Paul Jacobs on that point myself. Ron

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/09/10 03:23 AM

Yeah, I agree, Champion plugs cant compete with Autolites!!

Almost every 69 handle I have seen is black, and the tube natural-almost cad like. I have about 20 pictures of nothing but dipstick handles & only 1 is orange, so maybe that's soemthing I would change.?

I really wasn't trying to bust your chops on the ps return hose, but the person who sells them also sell all kinds of stuff that he claims is correct, but is far from it, and that just burns me up . The ps return hose had a date code on it, size and letter to designate it's use.

Looks really nice!

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/09/10 12:30 PM

I know the A12 board concluded the A12 cars ( a12 bee shown above ) were black , so maybe that's a lynch road plant thing as all my B-body cars have been St louis build cars and I don't remember any of them being black dipstick. the only Lynch road car I've ever owned was a 1970 Bee and that car had a long hard road before it got to me so all bets are off with that one.
I had a really nice underhood shot of an unrestored 69 roadrunner 383 but lost it on a computer crash last year. and I'm 99% sure it was orange.
But just like anything else with mopar Never say Never

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/09/10 01:17 PM

Quote:

Almost every 69 handle I have seen is black, and the tube natural-almost cad like. I have about 20 pictures of nothing but dipstick handles & only 1 is orange, so maybe that's soemthing I would change.?

I really wasn't trying to bust your chops on the ps return hose, but the person who sells them also sell all kinds of stuff that he claims is correct, but is far from it, and that just burns me up . The ps return hose had a date code on it, size and letter to designate it's use.

Looks really nice!

Paul I didn't take it as "chop busting" It's hard to convey emotion or demeanor though the keyboard. I welcome anything you have to say about my past resto. I always call what I do a facsimile to correct...

Now that I have my Gran Sport's engine compartment apart for detailing I'm on a LARGE learning curve!!!!!!!! Ron

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/09/10 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks really nice!

Paul I didn't take it as "chop busting" It's hard to convey emotion or demeanor though the keyboard. I welcome anything you have to say about my past resto. I always call what I do a facsimile to correct...

Now that I have my Gran Sport's engine compartment apart for detailing I'm on a LARGE learning curve!!!!!!!! Ron

I welcome all the "chops busting" also guys....I'm learning alot from all of you, and very much appreciate it.....
So the dipstick tube color on a 69 440 R/T (my Coronet was built in St. Louis if it matters) is natural, and the handle Orange.....
Anyone else??

Thanks guys!!
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/09/10 05:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks really nice!

I welcome all the "chops busting" also guys....I'm learning alot from all of you, and very much appreciate it.....
So the dipstick tube color on a 69 440 R/T (my Coronet was built in St. Louis if it matters) is natural, and the handle Orange.....
Anyone else??

Thanks guys!!

I think you have it mixed up.

the tube is natural and the handle should be black. at least thats what Ive taken from this thread.

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/09/10 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks really nice!

Anyone else??

Thanks guys!!

I think you have it mixed up.

the tube is natural and the handle should be black. at least thats what Ive taken from this thread.

On 69's Ive seen natural and Orange routed outside of the exhaust manifold.....70's Orange, routed between the manifold and valve cover....maybe I'm confused still??

Oh, by the way Dave.....Go Blackhawks!!

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:18 AM

Here's a few pics of original cars.

Attached picture 6028863-1.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:18 AM

1969 RR

Attached picture 6028866-2.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:19 AM

1969 Bee

Attached picture 6028869-3.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:20 AM

69 runner

Attached picture 6028873-4.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:21 AM

69 daytona

Attached picture 6028875-6.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:21 AM

1969 Daytona

Attached picture 6028876-7.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:22 AM

1970 Superbee! 1970!

Attached picture 6028878-8.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:24 AM

1970 Challenger

Attached picture 6028883-9.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:28 AM

69 F6 Daytona

Attached picture 6028889-11.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:28 AM

1970 RR

Attached picture 6028893-12.jpg

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:31 AM

As you can see, most dipsticks I have pictures of are black, even some 70's!!!

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 11:59 AM

Quote:

As you can see, most dipsticks I have pictures of are black, even some 70's!!!

Great references Paul...
It is with the utmost of confidence that my Daytona will be changed correct...

Thanks..

Another "learn something new everyday".......

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 12:18 PM

Thanks Paul for the excellant pics.

any ideas which plants any of the cars are from ?

I'm wondering if it's a build plant variation.

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 01:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks Paul for the excellant pics.

any ideas which plants any of the cars are from ?

I'm wondering if it's a build plant variation.

Thats why I stated mine was built in St. Louis - if it does matter.
Thank you Paul very much for posting those pics!!
So Paul, if I may ask, if you were restoring a '69 Coronet R/T - 440/auto (built in St.Louis), what color would you make the dipstick?

Thanks!!

Wally.
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 02:23 PM

Dipstick lore is one of those areas that gives us MOPAR folk time to sit & chat...
I think it's safe to say (with regards to the 69 model year) that, generally speaking, the tube was OUTSIDE the exhaust manifold, natural in finish, and had a black or natural handle... Natural can appear dark or black too... I mounted my handle between the valve cover and manifold for 2 reasons: 1. I had to buy a repop (original was junk) and it fit best in that location...trying to bend or maneuver it to fit outside the manifold was causing it to become brittle where it entered the block, and I did not want to risk breaking it. 2. The most important reason, is that it's much easier to lower the body onto the engine without the risk of scratching the inner fender...Of course, I'm not looking to please any judges either!

Attached picture 6029638-ENGINE__(2).JPG
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 02:26 PM

I think what we're seeing and taking as natural finish on the handles is just quick and cheaply painted black parts that have faded or burned off to appear natural.
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 03:34 PM

Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 06:32 PM

All 440's look the same, lets see pics of the cars (Coronet R/T's that is)

Re: '69 440 in Coronet R/T - 06/10/10 10:12 PM

I would soak my handle in lacquer thinner if I still had it!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums