Moparts

71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color?

Posted By: Morty426

71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/08/10 09:07 PM

The black is it the textured organosol stuff?
Posted By: moparo

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/08/10 09:15 PM

yes it is
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/08/10 10:05 PM

Original paint 71 Challegner 440 six pack low mile car. I believe there were no LA built Challengers in 71? So it would have to be a Hamtramck car?

Sure not the heavy texutured organosol they used on T/A-AAR hoods. I think think it just the same black they put on the back of Challenger T/A's.

The top facing portions of the bezel are dusty. There's not much texture to it at all, just the way semi gloss/semi flat paint goes down. A finish fog coat may do it.

Attached picture 5971459-FF04Sat0091Lg.JPG
Posted By: antonellomopar

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 07:04 AM

And what about non RT 71 Challenger? How was the finish? I am restoring a 71 conv N code and wondering how the finish panel was done. Thank you

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 12:16 PM

Hi Antonello

The tail panel would painted and the lights would be argent.

MB
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 02:51 PM

Like so.

Attached picture 5972586-tailights.jpg

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 03:02 PM

Ah yes that is it.
Posted By: antonellomopar

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 03:26 PM

Thank you for the replies. WHat kind of argent? Same as grille? Light argent or what?

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 03:38 PM

same texture, the color could even be lighter.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 04:23 PM

Ok, I have a question on this subject:

In AutoXCuda's photos the tail surround trim is also half painted. Is this correct? I've never seen this up close detail before and was wondering what is going on?

Sorry if I am a little bit out of the loop, but I just gotta know!

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 05:16 PM

Quote:

Ok, I have a question on this subject:

In AutoXCuda's photos the tail surround trim is also half painted. Is this correct? I've never seen this up close detail before and was wondering what is going on?

Sorry if I am a little bit out of the loop, but I just gotta know!

Yes that half painted trim is part of the R/T black out scheme.

The non R/T rubber bumper cars, front or front and rear, ALSO got the same black out trim and corresponding black grill and tail panel.

The gold car I just pictured is just one original car. And I don't have the build date or location. But my 71 Challenger R/T April 71 Hamtramck is the same.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 07:40 PM

Thanks, AutoXCuda!

So, would the headlight bezels and hood moulding get the same treatment on an R/T?

And, what if it had the wide hood moulding?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 07:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks, AutoXCuda!

So, would the headlight bezels and hood moulding get the same treatment on an R/T?

Yes and yes.

Sorry for butting in.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/09/10 09:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, AutoXCuda!

Yes and yes.

Sorry for butting in.

Well, wide hood molding goes over the headlight bucket trim. So you aren't going to "see" the black painted ridge because it's covered up. And the wide hood molding replaces the 1/2 blacked out hood molding.

The wide hood molding set itself is painted the same R/T or not.

Wide molding was NOT available with front rubber bumpers per the pocket sales guide.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/10/10 03:51 AM

Good info here, thanks again you Guys.

Too few of the '71 Challenger R/T 's out there for me to see in real life.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/10/10 11:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, AutoXCuda!

Yes and yes.

Sorry for butting in.

Well, wide hood molding goes over the headlight bucket trim. So you aren't going to "see" the black painted ridge because it's covered up. And the wide hood molding replaces the 1/2 blacked out hood molding.

Wide molding was NOT available with front rubber bumpers per the pocket sales guide.

The head lamp bucket is painted black AND has a small piece of tape over the paint line.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 05:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, AutoXCuda!

Yes and yes.

Sorry for butting in.

The head lamp bucket is painted black

You mean on a R/T is just have the regular blacked out head lamp bucket?

Quote:

AND has a small piece of tape over the paint line.

Where is this paint line? On Steve Juliano's 71 R/T sunroof car there is a black painted (tape?) little a section on the fender inside front edge of the hood gap. Is that what your are referring to?? I've never seen it anywhere else. And that car was not restored by Steve.

Morty426, do you have a picture?

I don't have the original fenders on my 71 R/T M28 car.
Posted By: bogusracer

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 07:34 AM

Quote:

Original paint 71 Challegner 440 six pack low mile car. I believe there were no LA built Challengers in 71? So it would have to be a Hamtramck car?

Sure not the heavy texutured organosol they used on T/A-AAR hoods. I think think it just the same black they put on the back of Challenger T/A's.

The top facing portions of the bezel are dusty. There's not much texture to it at all, just the way semi gloss/semi flat paint goes down. A finish fog coat may do it.

I would have to question the not so textured comment above. After 30 years of weather, washing and wiping, what texture was there would have been smoothed down so it would now appear as a low gloss black.

If the specified OEM paint is Organisol per the Manufacturing Data, then it should/would be textured.

IMHO.

Bogusracer
Posted By: HPMike

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 09:09 AM

Original car. Definitely textured,

Attached picture 5975960-trunkmat002(Medium).jpg

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 03:14 PM

[quote
Where is this paint line? On Steve Juliano's 71 R/T sunroof car there is a black painted (tape?) little a section on the fender inside front edge of the hood gap. Is that what your are referring to?? I've never seen it anywhere else. And that car was not restored by Steve.

I'll get you a picture tonight. I have my original buckets and NOS buckets - the NOS ones are missing the tape. The tape is also on the hood trim. I don't think it is unique to being an M73 car.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 03:52 PM

Quote:

Is that texture like the rough surface of a T/A or AAR hood?

I just think there's very degrees of this texture.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that texture like the rough surface of a T/A or AAR hood?

I just think there's very degrees of this texture.

It's the rough texture, but I think it's all in how you spray it. I've seen some TA hoods done by a SoCal restore expert that look like spackle

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 05:35 PM

Here are some pictures I just took of my orginal tailight bezels. This is just the bezel. These were not painted with the rear trim panal on the car. And I bet painted by the facility that made/painted the tailight bezels.

Yes, they have texture. I just don't know how this compares to the original T/A AAR hood paint or the various over the counter repro organisol paints that don't seem consistant with each other.

The corner I took pictures of is covered up from sunlight and wiping/washing. I added some moisture to get some contrast to show in the pictures. Tough to get a good picture. Especially with my pocket camera.

EDIT These pictures here are not showing the same detail as the orginal picture on my computer. Sorry.

Attached picture 5976568-PICT2163.JPG
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 05:39 PM

I have some original 71 RT rear bezals at home. I remember them being a pretty rough paint finish. Maybe I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/11/10 06:19 PM

Quote:

I have some original 71 RT rear bezals at home. I remember them being a pretty rough paint finish. Maybe I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Oh I have my original and you can tell it had a texture at one time.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/12/10 02:56 AM

Quote:

[quote

I'll get you a picture tonight. I have my original buckets and NOS buckets - the NOS ones are missing the tape. The tape is also on the hood trim. I don't think it is unique to being an M73 car.

Here is my original bezel. You can see the tape stops above the screw hole.

Attached picture 5977595-71bezel.jpg

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/12/10 02:58 AM

here's a close up of the tape -

Attached picture 5977600-71bezelclose.jpg
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/12/10 03:17 AM

Quote:

Wow
Now I'm going to have to look at ours tomorrow.

Attached picture 5977640-2challisriveway.jpg

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 05/12/10 04:09 AM

Quote:

Cool. Nice pictures. Thanks.

One of Grizzy's questions was asking the R/T and non paint scheme with wide hood molding package; hood periphery molding M28.

Does the hood periphery molding trigger any paint scheme/blackout/tape etc difference on any part front end?

I did see black paint on the painted fender on Steve Juliano's 71 Challenger sunroof car with hood periphery that was restored by Walt Downer. It was on the fender under the fender section of the hood periphery molding, right at the hood gap. Has anyone else seen that on another car??
Posted By: gss

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/18/10 05:56 AM

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but what would be the proper way to restore the black paint on the trunk and quarter panel trim pieces? What paint and prep? TIA

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/18/10 06:45 AM

Quote:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but what would be the proper way to restore the black paint on the trunk and quarter panel trim pieces? What paint and prep? TIA

I just saw a metal dash frame done in Rust-Oleum Fine Textured Finish spray can paint from Walmart that Troy did. Came out pretty darn nice.

I first used this paint on my Minilite polished rims to give them a cast look. It's pretty fine for that, but the best I could come up with. Walmart had the cheapest price on this stuff.

For $6, test it and see if you like it. It's not wrinkle paint and much finer than that. Seems very close to the un-exposed end pieces of my original 71 R/T tail lite bezels.

I don't think the aluminum trunk and quarter trim or hood pieces has black that is textured??

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/18/10 04:28 PM

Quote:

Glad you brought that up - I have one NOS peice that I'll try match - would love to also here suggestions
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/18/10 05:30 PM

On the bezels I have one that had the tape... I figured someone just put it on and had no idea it was original. It was dried up and cracked so I removed it, but now I know it was an rt bezel for sure.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/19/10 01:29 AM

I have not seen any special paint treatment for the M28 mouldings, however, IIRC there is a separate part number for the V6X R/T stripes - they are a bit shorter at the front of the fenders.

(not unlike the current Challengers)
Posted By: wmwalden

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/21/10 01:39 PM

Here is the drawings from the factory. Note the paint color in the lower right side of pic.

Attached picture 6047285-Picture1.png

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/21/10 04:15 PM

Quote:

I have not seen any special paint treatment for the M28 mouldings, however, IIRC there is a separate part number for the V6X R/T stripes - they are a bit shorter at the front of the fenders.

(not unlike the current Challengers)

Thanks,

Just wondered if people have seen some original paint 1971 M28 Hood Periphery R/T and non R/T cars.
Posted By: wmwalden

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/21/10 04:57 PM

I have had and still do have a bunch of the stuff. I just sold a NOS Center piece. The black is a semi-gloss to flat. meaning not quite flat but not to shinny as well. Like the trim black.

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/21/10 07:53 PM

Quote:

Here is the drawings from the factory. Note the paint color in the lower right side of pic.

That drawing is for 70 - for 71 it's a lot larger area.
Posted By: gss

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/22/10 02:51 PM

Quote:

I thought Organosol was not available? What is used today?

Re: 71 Challenger R/T Rear Finish Panel Color? - 06/22/10 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought Organosol was not available? What is used today?

You can get it from Roger Gibson
© 2024 Moparts Forums