Moparts

Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T.........

Posted By: hemi68charger

Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 01:47 PM

Well, after 6 LONG years, a former body man boning me and finally taking it to another shop, my LL1 turquoise '68 Hemi Charger R/T is finally done.... The last thing was the wheel well undercoating ( Yes, I know, the line is too crisp)............ She looks great I must say and I'm very happy... She's pretty close to perfect for me, prefection I can't afford that, but I tried to make every attempt in attention to detail pay off... I went by yesterday to see her and wow....... I'll pick her up Friday with the assistance of a friend of mine with an enclosed trailer........ Here's a previous thead to a thread to a thread, blah blah blah...

Thanks to all for their support through the long dilemma, which initially worked out, but soured after the 4.5 year mark with the previous company.

Now, it's time to start putting her together and see if I can get that elusive Daytona.. One side of me doesn't want to get rid of her because of all the grief, patience and work I've done with her, but the other side is so looking forward to the possibility of a winged Dodge in my garage......

Previous thread link on the restoration

Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 01:55 PM

Sure looks great, and must feel great to get it to that point!

Good luck with the assembly, please keep the picture updates coming.

Darren
Posted By: 68RRFlyer

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 01:57 PM

BEAUTIFUL TROY!!!!! Congratulations on finally getting to bring her home. I hope mine comes out half as nice as that when I get mine painted. Enjoy and you have to keep it at least long enough to get a picture with mine! Looking good!

Cheers
Posted By: srt

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 02:04 PM

looks Gr8!
Seeing the progress and hearing of your plights makes me want to both plow forward and at the same time avoid going through our car.
Your car should be beautiful when it's all done. Another step closer!
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 03:20 PM

I know you have been through a lot but that car looks AMAZING Troy!

Joe
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 06:09 PM

Yep, beautiful. Can't wait to see it on the ground with wheels under it.
Posted By: Snailpower

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 06:13 PM

MAN that thing looks great! That LL1 is what I almost painted my 70 - such a great color with white top and guts. What is the interior going to be?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 06:48 PM

Nice, now get busy with it.The Nats is next weekend you know
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 06:58 PM

A wonderful job and an inspiration for those of us who need a lil bump to get our cars moving forward. Just a beautiful car and truely something for you to be proud of.

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 07:04 PM

Quote:

MAN that thing looks great! That LL1 is what I almost painted my 70 - such a great color with white top and guts. What is the interior going to be?

Just as you called it, white interior and top. The car originally came with a black top, but if I keep her, then she's getting white (already have the new one waiting). But, if I sell to get the Daytona, then the new owner will do what they think... The car is a stripe delete, so I'll see what she looks like without one for awhile...

Thanks all. And Bill,,,, I'll try, but something tells me I'm not going to be able to get her ready for the Nat's............ I've got Guard Duty this weekend, otherwise, I'd still make nice progress with all the new stuff I have waiting for her to install.............
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/30/08 07:56 PM

Congratulations, your car looks outstanding, one of my absolute favourite colors and awesome to see when first out of the paint booth. Deciding to keep this beauty wouldn't be so bad! The Daytonas are so unique and special, nice dream to have so best of luck if you sell this Hemi and even better luck on finding the Daytona of your choice. EBodysEast
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/31/08 12:05 AM

That thing is wet my pants sweet!!! I need a wet my pants smiley, where's tacohead?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/31/08 12:25 AM

Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/31/08 12:27 AM

Troy,

I have a Q5 runner I'm just getting apart for resto. Will likely be a long road. I am thinking of doing a similar paint skeeme(sp?) as yours.
Can you rehash some of the details of the paint process? What does the under carriage bottom treatment consist of?
What does the top paint consist of?
I'm talking about surface prep, primer coats, finish etc.

Also I assume that the car was jammed, assembled, and painted as a whole?

Sweet job!

Any input appreciated.

Ed B

Attached picture 4586682-Oct69A1P6-3resized.jpg
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/31/08 12:34 AM

That looks awesome, worth the wait I'm sure!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 07/31/08 03:11 AM

Congrats on the paint, it looks awesome. Now the fun starts. Seeing your's the way it is now brings back lots of memories when I did my '71 RR. I'd love to do another, just no time or room now. Good luck, keep us informed.
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/02/08 02:08 AM

Wow. Very, very nice Troy. That one is a keeper, you know that, right?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/02/08 02:12 AM

Funny, some kid left this in my driveway today

Attached picture 4591668-69ChargerMatchbox.jpg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/02/08 02:25 AM

Looking very nice....

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/02/08 02:53 AM

Quote:

Wow. Very, very nice Troy. That one is a keeper, you know that, right?

Hey Steve.....

Well, she's home safe and secure.. No chips or scratches in the process........ 2thumbs

Thanks to Scott and Charles for helping me get her home... The LL1 Road Runner is Charles'.. We repainted his dash frame and keep the car here in my garage while mine was in the shop...

Attached picture 4591805-100_7727.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/02/08 08:22 PM

That looks great ! Ron

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/03/08 01:33 AM

Hey guys........
Off from Guard Duty this afternoon and figured I'd put something on her..... Of course, I couldn't resist the "Hemi" badge and a new NOS mirror......... I think she's going to be hard to give up, especially after such a cloudy 5+ years in the body shop.. But, if I don't spend another dime on her and sell the '70 v-code, I could have my dream Daytona.... Guess it's age creeping in on me and I'm sort of tired of having projects and not running cars other than Dana......... So, if I can get a Daytona and keep Dana (my '69 Charger 500 for those that don't know) as well, my Mopar life would blossom again.... Sorry for the repetitive nature of my banter, but I guess I wanna make sure I'm doing the "right" thing, if there is such a thing......

Attached picture 4593678-100_7754.jpg
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/03/08 03:08 AM

hemi68charger - I bet there are some cowpokes in Texas that would like to know what paint shop is responsible for all the excellent finish work!
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/04/08 02:27 AM

show us a picture of the neatly arranged parts all in order ready to go in

looks great .. I sucked myself into a Hemi project and left my freshly painted sunroof project under wraps ..

im going between 2 71 bbody projects stealing parts from one car to finish the other ..

its been crazy....

your car looks great

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/04/08 03:24 AM

Quote:

show us a picture of the neatly arranged parts all in order ready to go in

looks great .. I sucked myself into a Hemi project and left my freshly painted sunroof project under wraps ..

im going between 2 71 bbody projects stealing parts from one car to finish the other ..

its been crazy....

your car looks great

Because the project was projected to take a long time (turned out to be MUCH more longer and complicated than originally thought), I didn't do a lot of prep projects.. I didn't want a bunch of freshly restored parts laying around at the risk of damaging them.... Plus, over the six years, I moved twice......

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/05/08 04:45 PM

Here's the fender tag....... It's original, hence the pitting here and there... If I was going to keep her, I might contemplate getting a new one.. I made sure I painted the one screw and left the other one natural...

Troy

Attached picture 4599678-100_7746.jpg

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/05/08 09:28 PM

Tinkering in the garage today since we're off due to the Tropical Storm...........

Put on some of the chrome "stuff" in the rear..............

Attached picture 4600093-100_7761.jpg

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/09/08 10:51 PM

Thought I'd add another one today while messing around in the garage.....

Attached picture 4608169-hemi_n_callout.jpg
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/10/08 12:45 AM

Short of finding a wing car in that color, or similar color, I'd vote keeper.......

I once thought I'd trade my Q5 up for a Black A12, and black is one of my fav colors (black pickup and black subaru in the fleet),
but I'm liking the fact not too many around, and it' sure is purdy

Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/10/08 02:08 AM

Beauty

My original 69 GTX was Q5. Very rare colour as it was only offered in 69.
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/10/08 11:21 PM

Looking very nice! I would definitely keep that one! While a Daytona might be more valuable, your Charger looks way nicer, and an excellent color combo too! In my opinion a Daytona looks ugly.
Posted By: fluegelmeister

Re: Paint's Done !!! My Hemi Charger R/T......... - 08/11/08 01:52 AM

Troy - Bravo!!! Keep us posted on the remaining tasks.
Barry
© 2024 Moparts Forums