Moparts

pic test- my 7 year project

Posted By: ramrod

pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 03:06 AM

Finally finishing up my 7 year on-again off-again project. Thoughts? Opinions? I've agonized over a few details on this car: black or body-color wheels? Rear wing or no? I DO wish I had gone a bit bigger with the front tire size.... Let me know what y'all think.

This is my first attempt at posting pics, so plz be patient!

Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 03:16 AM

black wheels + no wing =
clean,lean and MEAN
leave as is
7 years
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 03:29 AM

I think the car looks great, especially in that green... Since the car has a higher stance, I too agree to leave the spoilers, both front and rear, off... I think she looks great.....
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 03:37 AM

That is one awesome looking machine - paint - wheels - stance - looks like well worth the effort - leave it as is - CONGRATS ON A JOB WELL DONE !
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 03:38 AM

Looks good, as is
Posted By: Neil

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 03:48 AM

Nice car! I'd leave the wheels black if it were mine.
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 07:30 AM

That is one sweet machine!
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 06:23 PM

The car looks nicely done. Fit and finish from the pics seem to very very good. Im not a fan of the black wheels on the this late of a model of car, but I wouldnt hold it against you either. If the car was reasonably optioned and had air conditioning, then one would thing the original buyer would spring for a nicer wheel.

But as I said, Im a beliver in fit and finsih. And you car looks very nice. I like the color too.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 07:53 PM

Looks great just the way it is. I might flip the white letters in though.
Posted By: 383man

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 08:05 PM

That really looks good. Ron
Posted By: mopar346

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/26/08 11:57 PM

What only 7 years were you in some kinda hurry?
Posted By: ramrod

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/27/08 03:00 AM

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I was trying for a lean and mean streetfighter look, the way it would have looked when it rolled off the truck if I would have been fortunate enough to order one new back in the day.

I tried to pay special attention to the fit and finish, which wasn't always easy with body parts from 7 different cars from 4 different model years, and not alot of aftermarket support for these cars. It really paid off with a nice, quiet, rattle-free car that drives really well. Chrysler really started to cut corners after 1971, and it shows in the quality of the OEM parts.

As to the 7 years it took to finish the car, this is my first paint job and it took a LONG time since I didn't know any short cuts! I eliminated the vinyl top, all the body trim, fixed the dutchman, stripped the entire topside (including the jambs) to bare metal and worked the wrinkles out of every panel on the car. I did alot of needless "spray 4 coats of high build primer and sand off 3" because I didn't know any better! I wasn't even sure if I could paint when I loaded the green into the gun! After I sprayed it I was kinda burned out, so it sat for 2 or 3 years. Couple that with getting involved in other things with the family and just not always having the money to work on the car and I can see how so many projects just get forgotten or sold before completion.

The biggest thing I learned was that it is MUCH harder to do one of these cars and have it appear stock than it is to just "hot rod" it....

Thanks to all the MOPARTS guys for their advice over the last 7 years!
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/27/08 03:15 AM

Very nice ramrod, very nice. Love the paint, excellent for a first attempt, shweet!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/28/08 02:37 AM

Great job, beautiful car. Nice gagage(s) as well!
Posted By: mo6pak

Re: pic test- my 7 year project - 07/28/08 11:47 AM

Very nice indeed, i hope my car turns out that nice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums