Moparts

Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers

Posted By: KillerBee

Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 07/25/08 05:14 PM

I'm thinking of putting a reproduction Elastomeric front bumper on the wife's 71 R/T Challenger, (maybe even a rear one too).
I've always loved the look of the painted rubber bumpers especially on the 71 Challengers as they are rather rare compared to rubber bumpers on a 'Cuda.
Does anyone have any information on how the bumpers are mounted?
Will my original 71 Challenger bumper brackets work?
Are there studs on the back of the bumper for mounting?
How do the gaps look around the front of the fenders?
I believe the front has black semi gloss paint on top of the bumper to match the 71 R/T grill?
If anyone have good pictures of the bumpers mounted on a Challenger please post.

Thanks.

Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 07/28/08 01:46 PM

Hello, I don't have all my notes in front of me, but here's some info off the top of my head...

challenger elastomeric bumpers are 71 only, and came as a package with both front and rear bumpers, and also painted side mirrors instead of chrome. You couldn't order the front/rear bumpers seperately. The top of the front bumper was always blacked out even on non R/T cars, and the grill blackout also came with the elastomeric bumper package. The hood moulding and corresponding edges of the headlight bezels also have a portion blacked out as part of the grill blackout process. If I recall correctly the hood moulding blackout was a thin vinyl strip, not paint. I've seen that strip available repro somewhere, but don't remember where at the moment. I also don't recall if the rear had any blackout like the front does. The bumpers were created from regular bumper cores with the studs in place, and then dipped in the coating. Special bumper brackets were used, but the only differance is that the brackets were slotted where they bolt on to the frame rails so that the bumper could be better adjusted in or out from the car. You could slot the holes in your original brackets, but I've heard others have installed these bumpers without needing that modification, so maybe you'll get lucky there.

That should help you out a bit.

Anyone have any good pictures? Especially of the rear would be nice.

Tav
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/12/11 11:03 PM

Quote:

Hello, I don't have all my notes in front of me, but here's some info off the top of my head...

challenger elastomeric bumpers are 71 only, and came as a package with both front and rear bumpers, and also painted side mirrors instead of chrome. You couldn't order the front/rear bumpers seperately. The top of the front bumper was always blacked out even on non R/T cars, and the grill blackout also came with the elastomeric bumper package. The hood moulding and corresponding edges of the headlight bezels also have a portion blacked out as part of the grill blackout process. If I recall correctly the hood moulding blackout was a thin vinyl strip, not paint. I've seen that strip available repro somewhere, but don't remember where at the moment. I also don't recall if the rear had any blackout like the front does. The bumpers were created from regular bumper cores with the studs in place, and then dipped in the coating. Special bumper brackets were used, but the only differance is that the brackets were slotted where they bolt on to the frame rails so that the bumper could be better adjusted in or out from the car. You could slot the holes in your original brackets, but I've heard others have installed these bumpers without needing that modification, so maybe you'll get lucky there.

Tav

Ok,not to bring up old posts, but...

I have a fender coded 'Cuda A21 with a front bumber only elastomeric bumper. It also has the slotted bolt holes in the bumper brackets. When I bought the car 20 plus years ago, it had and still has a chrome front bumper. The car was also blue when I bought it and the fender tag shows FC7 purple. (It also has original purple paint inside the doors and trunk so I know it really was a purple car to begin with.)

My question is, if the front elastomeric bumper was just a regular bumper dipped in rubber, am I missing why people aren't selling these or am I just looking in the wrong place. It would seem that you could get one of the new bumpers that I have found for sell on many web sites and just rubberize it. How hard could it be?

Please tell me what I am missing.

Thanks

Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 02:50 AM

It's not a simple 1/8" rubber coating. The elastomeric e-body bumpers were moulded to a slightly different configuration/shape than the chrome bumpers. The core bumper is the same.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 03:09 AM

From 1970;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/serviceHighlights/70%20sh%20217.jpg

But sadly, the painted bumpers did not come to be for the 1970 Challengers.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 03:34 AM

Photos... Yes it is a 70 car but the bumpers are real

Attached picture 6868800-Ohlone047rev.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 03:36 AM

Attached picture 6868803-Ohlone017rev.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 03:37 AM

Attached picture 6868805-small5.jpg
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 04:57 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking of putting a reproduction Elastomeric front bumper on the wife's 71 R/T Challenger, (maybe even a rear one too).
I've always loved the look of the painted rubber bumpers especially on the 71 Challengers as they are rather rare compared to rubber bumpers on a 'Cuda.
Does anyone have any information on how the bumpers are mounted?
Will my original 71 Challenger bumper brackets work?
Are there studs on the back of the bumper for mounting?
How do the gaps look around the front of the fenders?
I believe the front has black semi gloss paint on top of the bumper to match the 71 R/T grill?
If anyone have good pictures of the bumpers mounted on a Challenger please post.

Thanks.

The bumpers mount just like the metal bumper. There are studs molded in to the back of the bumper. Unlike the cuda - there is no differences between the mounting brackets. There is a parting line in the bumper - above the line the bumper is painted in organisol black. It's textured.

I can get you pictures when I get home on Friday.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 05:07 AM

Quote:

Tav

Tav - since you got most of this wrong let me bail you out

True this is a 71 only option.

Unlike 'cudas Challenger rubber bumpers are NOT part of a package. In the beginning you could only order both (M73) and only in 4 colors: blue, purple, orange and yellow. Later you could order the front seperate.

The bumper is always black on top and forced you to get a black grill. The rear is also black on top.

The hood trim is painted and has the vinyl to cover the paint line.

The brackets are NOT different as Challenger metal bumper were recessed into the fender - the different bracket is a cuda thing.

I can get you detail pics upon request.

Morty

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 05:12 AM

Here is the front - sorry the photo is a little dated. The car is farther together than this.

Attached picture 6868961-71front.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 05:12 AM

Quote:

am I missing why people aren't selling these or am I just looking in the wrong place. It would seem that you could get one of the new bumpers that I have found for sell on many web sites and just rubberize it. How hard could it be?

Thanks

If your looking for repro elastromeric bumper, Gene Gregory makes them for Cuda and Challenger, you can contact him at www.alhambracustomservice.bravehost.com

to fit them to an existing set of regular chrome bumper bracket (front) you'll need to elongate the main frame bolt holes/slot on the brackets to push the bumper up flush with the fenders, the rear brackets you may have to shim the brackets, or bumper, your choice, outward, to obtain the fit you desire

Mike

Attached picture 6868962-10-21-07_1411.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 07:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

am I missing why people aren't selling these or am I just looking in the wrong place. It would seem that you could get one of the new bumpers that I have found for sell on many web sites and just rubberize it. How hard could it be?

Thanks

If your looking for repro elastromeric bumper, Gene Gregory makes them for Cuda and Challenger, you can contact him at www.alhambracustomservice.bravehost.com

to fit them to an existing set of regular chrome bumper bracket (front) you'll need to elongate the main frame bolt holes/slot on the brackets to push the bumper up flush with the fenders, the rear brackets you may have to shim the brackets, or bumper, your choice, outward, to obtain the fit you desire

Mike

Thanks for the info. My 71 'Cuda has the original rubber bumper brackets. OK, I think it does. I am going to have to go check again to see. Just so that I am clear, the slotted bolt holes are on the car side of the bracket right? I know for a fact the the bumper side of my brackets have slotted bolt holes. My car is in a shop that is not at my house. I will have to check in the morning. Is there a bracket part number that I can look for or see with the brackets installed? Bumper is removed.

The car had chrome bumpers on it when I bought it. The car is an original factory purple car but was blue when I bought it. I figure the previous owner replaced the rubber bumper with the chrome one when he painted it blue. A21 on the fender tag. He also painted the engine well black and the inside of the trunk gold. LOL Got to love the 80s right?

How bad are the AAR fiberglass front bumpers? $135 is a big difference from the Six Pack Performance $950.

http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart2/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=130

http://www.sixpackperformance.net/product.php?productid=16253&cat=313&page=1

Logic dictates the Six Pack Performance bumper is probably second to none but for the money, the AAR one looks really tempting.

Thanks for the help guys.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 07:11 AM

Where is the A21 code located on the tag?

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 07:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for the info. My 71 'Cuda has the original rubber bumper brackets. OK, I think it does. I am going to have to go check again to see. Just so that I am clear, the slotted bolt holes are on the car side of the bracket right? I know for a fact the the bumper side of my brackets have slotted bolt holes. My car is in a shop that is not at my house. I will have to check in the morning. Is there a bracket part number that I can look for or see with the brackets installed? Bumper is removed.

The car had chrome bumpers on it when I bought it. The car is an original factory purple car but was blue when I bought it. I figure the previous owner replaced the rubber bumper with the chrome one when he painted it blue. A21 on the fender tag. He also painted the engine well black and the inside of the trunk gold. LOL Got to love the 80s right?

How bad are the AAR fiberglass front bumpers? $135 is a big difference from the Six Pack Performance $950.

http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart2/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=130

http://www.sixpackperformance.net/product.php?productid=16253&cat=313&page=1

Logic dictates the Six Pack Performance bumper is probably second to none but for the money, the AAR one looks really tempting.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm 99% sure that six pack performance buys their bumpers from Gene Gregory listed above.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 07:49 AM

Quote:

Third line from the bottom. This was a 383-4 car when born.

N41 N42 P31 R11 26 EN2
L34 M21 M25 M31 M88
G36 H31 H51 J25 J45 J54
FC7 U A04 A21 B51 G15
FC7 H4XW 000 709 161521
E65 D32 BS23 N1B 45XXXX

Attached picture 6869063-283146_237042709668839_100000893366438_693919_4254912_n.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 08:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Third line from the bottom. This was a 383-4 car when born.

N41 N42 P31 R11 26 EN2
L34 M21 M25 M31 M88
G36 H31 H51 J25 J45 J54
FC7 U A04 A21 B51 G15
FC7 H4XW 000 709 161521
E65 D32 BS23 N1B 45XXXX

The code is where it should be - with the other "group" codes.

Nice to see your car made so late

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 08:48 AM

I am in the process of restoring this car. When I bought the car it already had a 440 engine that was more or less date correct so I put a six pack on it and ran it that way for years. I am having the car repainted back to in-violet. I am rebuilding the 440 engine to a stroker 512 and I am keeping the six pack. It has been slow going as money is available. I am hoping to have a complete show worthy car by this summer.

Attached picture 6869082-2011-09-0718_32_47.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 02:34 PM

Quote:

[www.alhambracustomservice.bravehost.com

I'm 99% sure that six pack performance buys their bumpers from Gene Gregory listed above.

You are correct Sir.......

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 08:04 PM

I went down to the shop this morning and took some pictures of my 1971 'Cuda front bumper brackets. I found a part number stamped on one of them. 35756 and another one stamped ##2 285. I can't read the first two numbers in the second stamp. My bolt holes are slotted from bracket to car and from bracket to bumper.

Here are some pictures...

Attached picture 6869698-BumperBracket.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 08:06 PM

Here is the slotted rear bolt and hole.

Attached picture 6869701-BumperBracket3.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/13/11 09:25 PM

here's another

Attached picture 6869785-2011-10-1313_06_43.jpg
Posted By: lahatte

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/14/11 04:45 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a cuda front bumper bracket that _wasn't_ slotted. They had to be, in order to adjust the bumper front to back.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/14/11 06:47 AM

Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen a cuda front bumper bracket that _wasn't_ slotted. They had to be, in order to adjust the bumper front to back.

OK, so I am trying to figure out if mine are the original bumper brackets for the Elastomeric front bumper or have mine been replaced before I bought the car.

P.S. sorry about kind of hijacking this thread and turning it into a 'Cuda bumper thing.

Attached picture 6870494-2011-10-0712_18_58.jpg
Posted By: magnumcharger

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/14/11 12:59 PM

My album of 1971 Challengers with Elastomeric bumpers!!
http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118...eric%20Bumpers/

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/14/11 01:24 PM

Quote:

My album of 1971 Challengers with Elastomeric bumpers!!
http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118...eric%20Bumpers/

WOW, That is quite a collection. Thanks for sharing.

Posted By: HPMike

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/14/11 02:29 PM

Those bumpers look killer on those cars. I wish mine was optioned with them, but they likely weren't offered on GK6 cars.

MB

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 07:18 AM

Quote:

Those bumpers look killer on those cars. I wish mine was optioned with them, but they likely weren't offered on GK6 cars.

MB

"dealer installed" .......I'm sure that was possible
Posted By: YYZ

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 03:16 PM

Quote:

MB

The FJ6 V-code car pictured is in fact GK6 originally - a prior owner misread the paint code (and didn't clue in to the bronze paint elsewhere on the car....)

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MB

The FJ6 V-code car pictured is in fact GK6 originally - a prior owner misread the paint code (and didn't clue in to the bronze paint elsewhere on the car....)

So....I wonder what colors it was/was not offered on?

Attached picture 6872473-dogdish71_001_Medium.jpg
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 05:27 PM

[quoteSo....I wonder what colors it was/was not offered on?

Here's what the dealer coding guide, dated as: Revised: July 6, 1970, says:

Optional on JS23-Challenger R/T only

H71 Coloured Front Bumper (Available with FJ6, GY3, GB2, EV2, FE5, FC7)

H72 Coloured Rear Bumper (Same colors as above)

NOTE: H72 has a footnote which reads: Only GY3 and EV2 are available on cars built thru August.

The info I just posted above was very early info, 7/70, and could very well have been revised again at a later date. There is no info. listed at this date which states that the bumpers must be ordered together as a pkg.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 06:20 PM

The list makes sense, however, I believe the GB2 was revised to (or originally meant to be) GB5.

The first car pictured in Magnumcharger's album is an original GB5, front elastomeric bumper only car - nicely optioned.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 06:22 PM

My Challenger as of 6 weeks ago

Attached picture 6872583-JS23Vfront090511.jpg
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

I'd like to know also how that AAR bumper looks. Anyone have one?

Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 10:19 PM

Quote:

Chris,
The car looks AWESOME! Is that an elephant body I see?

Ray
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 10:24 PM

1971 Challenger A21 & A22 option packages with paint availablity and information at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/PIBs/1971/71D%20pib%203%20p1.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 10:48 PM

Quote:

1971 Challenger A21 & A22 option packages with paint availablity and information at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/PIBs/1971/71D%20pib%203%20p1.jpg

Barry,

This would imply that non-R/T Challengers would get an A21 or A22 code on the fender tag. Where as R/T Challengers have an M71 or M73 code on the build sheet only.

Morty

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/15/11 10:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris,

Ray

Thanks Ray - the car is a 440 SIXPACK exported to Canada
Posted By: m46rat

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/16/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Tav

Tav - since you got most of this wrong let me bail you out

True this is a 71 only option.

Unlike 'cudas Challenger rubber bumpers are NOT part of a package. In the beginning you could only order both (M73) and only in 4 colors: blue, purple, orange and yellow. Later you could order the front seperate.

The bumper is always black on top and forced you to get a black grill. The rear is also black on top.

The hood trim is painted and has the vinyl to cover the paint line.

The brackets are NOT different as Challenger metal bumper were recessed into the fender - the different bracket is a cuda thing.

I can get you detail pics upon request.

Morty

Based on this information, has anyone seen an actual non R/T 71 Challenger with a front or front and rear rubber bumpers. ALL the ones I have ever seen have been R/T cars, and hense all hardtops. If there is one or more out these, fender tag info and pictures would be great!!
Thank you.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/16/11 04:25 AM

Car looks great, Chris!!!

MB
Posted By: 2002bluert

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/17/11 05:26 AM

Next question where is the black painted up to? I have seen them painted to the very top line and I have seen them painted to the next line down which puts the black on the front leading edge. I think it looks more correct to have them painted up to just the top edge as it matches better to the headlight bezel black out. But not sure because I have seen both but more of the top just been painted.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/17/11 05:53 AM

This was not a possible combination. Wide hood molding was not available with rubber bumpers.

Are all the pictures in magnumcharger's album real coded 71 rubber bumper cars??
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/17/11 05:59 AM

This is a real coded for 71 Challenger R/T 340 auto rubber bumper car that 69Mannix used to own.

That black hood and white side stripe was what it was coded for.

Picture taken at Santa Monica Airport while Tim was working on a big budget GM commerical.

Attached picture 6875238-TimN71RubBumperChallenger2.jpg
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/17/11 07:15 AM

Quote:

This was not a possible combination. Wide hood molding was not available with rubber bumpers.

Are all the pictures in magnumcharger's album real coded 71 rubber bumper cars??

That's the GK6 car. The elastomerics were added to the car. Probably the hood molding too, but I can't recall for sure.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/17/11 11:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's the GK6 car. The elastomerics were added to the car. Probably the hood molding too, but I can't recall for sure.

Yes to both items.

The car is a genuine GK6/black 440-6, 4-speed, 4.10 Dana super track pack car and legit N96 shaker hood car.

Few other options other than AM radio, rim-blow and 15x7 rallyes.
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 12:57 PM

There was a Curious Yellow 71 Hemi 4-Speed Hemi Challenger featured in Mopar Action in about 1993(?). It was on the cover, and had front and rear elastomeric bumpers.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 04:58 PM

Quote:

There was a Curious Yellow 71 Hemi 4-Speed Hemi Challenger featured in Mopar Action in about 1993(?). It was on the cover, and had front and rear elastomeric bumpers.

Vic Selvaggi's car - it was at Carlisle a few years ago.

One of my favourites for sure....

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 10/17/11 06:15 PM

Quote:

Next question where is the black painted up to? I have seen them painted to the very top line and I have seen them painted to the next line down which puts the black on the front leading edge. I think it looks more correct to have them painted up to just the top edge as it matches better to the headlight bezel black out. But not sure because I have seen both but more of the top just been painted.

It's painted to the bottom line. That line is a hard line like a mold line. You are right that it would appear to line up better with the top line but wasking would be easier with the bottom line.

The purple car that was posted is painted incorrectly.
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Vic Selvaggi's car - it was at Carlisle a few years ago.

One of my favourites for sure....

Thats it! That car definitely has it all going on!
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 06:52 PM

I have owned several sets of Challenger rubber bumpers over the years, one set in original paint.
When I painted this original set to add to my 6 pak Challenger for a look see, I copied the paint scheme on the original paint orange set.

Attached picture 6875777-bumper2.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 06:54 PM

another picture

Attached picture 6875780-bumper3.jpg
Posted By: Dodgedoc

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 07:06 PM

I have a pair of these on my '70. I am considering replacing them with chrome bumpers. Anyone still looking?

Attached picture 6875799-Toys.JPG
Posted By: Dodgedoc

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 07:08 PM

Another picture.

Attached picture 6875801-DSC00440.JPG

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 10/17/11 07:23 PM

I think I have Elastomeric bumper envy..

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/03/11 03:43 AM

The OP wanted to see the fit. This is a Gene Gregory front - my original had a twist in it

Attached picture 6947897-RubberBumperFront.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/03/11 03:44 AM

Here is my original rear

Attached picture 6947899-RubberBumperRear.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/03/11 05:50 PM

Quote:

I think I have Elastomeric bumper envy..

Me too!!!
Posted By: Loaded6bbl

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum *DELETED* - 12/03/11 08:56 PM

Post deleted by moparts

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/03/11 09:16 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to let everyone know that anybody who`s interested in a pair of NOS Challenger Elastomeric Bumpers, I have a set. Last NOS set known to exsist, and in MINT PERFECT condition. If absoultely needed,..$10,000.00 for the set. Please don`t bag on me, they`re my bumpers, and that`s what I want. Thank you for your respect.
First time ever to let the public know I have them. Also have
other NOS parts, grills, bezels, mirrors. Only for sale for top
dollar...all very rare stuff, in mint condition. Thanks again..... ta6pak@yahoo.com

probably too late to the party, but
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/03/11 09:32 PM

a very expensive party, but I guess go find another set...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/03/11 10:16 PM

A party of one, but give him respect and don't bag on him!
Posted By: floyd

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/03/11 11:34 PM

How about posting some pics? I'd love to see what they looked like NOS. Were they primed? Sorry, I can't swing 10K, but those have got to be pretty damn rare.

Original set here.

Attached picture 6949148-bluecarlift.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/04/11 12:38 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to let everyone know that anybody who`s interested in a pair of NOS Challenger Elastomeric Bumpers, I have a set. Last NOS set known to exsist, and in MINT PERFECT condition. If absoultely needed,..$10,000.00 for the set. Please don`t bag on me, they`re my bumpers, and that`s what I want. Thank you for your respect.
First time ever to let the public know I have them. Also have
other NOS parts, grills, bezels, mirrors. Only for sale for top
dollar...all very rare stuff, in mint condition. Thanks again..... ta6pak@yahoo.com

LOL

Last time I talked to you - you told me 7

Any way good luck and see ya at Spring Fling
Posted By: ErikR

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/04/11 12:56 AM

Back in 2004 there was a guy on eBay selling what he claimed was one of that last NOS rear cuda rubber bumpers, the part was listed for 2 grand - no takers. It was autumn bronze metallic and had the hand written date code very clear along with a hand written part number.

I've seen a bunch of used rubber bumpers for sale at very high prices but almost all of these original bumpers have seen weather/rain and if you inspect them really close they arent that great. They get water penetration near the studs which then start to rust and that starts the elastomer material to pull always form the core.

IMO, most used original rubber bumpers are not something you'd put on a fully restored car just cause the condition is usually less than 8/10. In that respect 10 grand for a pair of challenger rubber bumpers dosent seem too crazy. Wasn't there a NOS rimblow on the back bag in the 2006-7 ? peak of the market for something like 5 grand? I think I paid about 2 grand for a set of Gene Gregory reproductions and they are very nice when compared to originals but if you gotta have original parts then good luck finding them.

Floyd, you challenger is insane! What a cool car, actually I like your garage too - pretty cool.
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/05/11 12:22 AM

Come on we want pics of those NOS bumpers !!!!!

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/05/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

a set of Gene Gregory reproductions and they are very nice when compared to originals

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/05/11 02:24 PM

Not Challenger but speaking of NOS bumpers, here's a few pictures of an NOS 70 Cuda rear bumper that has never been mounted.
I bought it with a perfect used front from Dale Tuel in 1979 at the first Spring Carlisle I went to.
He had some real cool NOS in those days

Attached picture 6951611-zzzzzzz3.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/05/11 02:25 PM

date...

Attached picture 6951613-zzzzzzz2.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/05/11 02:26 PM

green paint dab on the stud ends which had small cardboard sleeve over threaded area

Attached picture 6951615-zzzzzzz1.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/05/11 02:29 PM

It had masking tape in places holding a thin plastic long Mopar bag covering it....possibly the way it was shipped from factory in those days.
Part of the tattered part number tag was with it.
The bumper is flawless.

Attached picture 6951617-zzzzzzz4.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/05/11 03:16 PM

Thought I'd post a scan of my order sheet that I got with the rest of the Mr. Norm's paperwork. Rubber bumpers were ordered, but for whatever reason were not on the car when delivered. Someone wrote "Not on S.O." next to the M73 block. Does anyone have any ideas on why that may have been? I'm pretty confident that you could get rubber bumpers on B5 cars, but I thought I saw something that showed B5 as not available in some early 71 model run liturature. This car has a 9/70 SPD. Maybe there was some confusion early in the 1971 production year?

Attached picture 6951671-ordersheet.jpg
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/27/11 04:18 AM

Beautiful car floyd, Nice Job !

Tav
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bum - 12/27/11 04:35 AM

Quote:

Beautiful car floyd, Nice Job !

Tav

That and a mohawk lift{I just retrofitted a pressure gauge for ours that weighs the car}...Looks like you've been around the block a few times... ...
Posted By: stwheels

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/07/12 08:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris,

Ray

Hi Morty, is that the car that was painted Red and raced under the name "FEVER"? Came from Alberta? Black/White cloth seats, cassette on the console?

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
web site: www.stwheelz.com

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/07/12 03:45 PM

Quote:

"dealer installed", would make it a "possible combonation"....I actually like the look of the wide chrome with the body colored bumper than a chrome bumper

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/07/12 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris,

Ray

Hi Morty, is that the car that was painted Red and raced under the name "FEVER"? Came from Alberta? Black/White cloth seats, cassette on the console?

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

Doug,

VEG FEVER! Yes that is what has become of the big POS that was Veg Fever.

I'll try post up a newer pic of the car later this evening as it is now sporting it's vinyl top.

Morty
Posted By: stwheels

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/07/12 05:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris,

Ray

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

Doug,

VEG FEVER! Yes that is what has become of the big POS that was Veg Fever.

I'll try post up a newer pic of the car later this evening as it is now sporting it's vinyl top.

Morty

LOL, even back then I could see the potential in that car and I regret passing on it at the time. I could have picked it up for around $4000 but another person had just bought the bumpers off it and I was pissed off because I knew how much it would cost me to get them back, even though I had several sets of chrome bumpers I could have used till I could afford the rubber bumpers!

I had even looked at the car a few years earlier when it was still in Vegreville. The 2 partners in the car had raced it and when they stopped, one took the car with the race drivetrain and the other kept the original drivetrain. I couldn't convince the one guy to sell me the original so I had passed on it at that time too. DOH! LOL

My favorite colors, favorite year and all the options ... well I should have bit the bullet but it's really nice to see it's almost done and it looks fantastic. Great job! Let me know if you need the steering wheel restored, at least then I could have some of my handiwork in the finished product LOL

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/08/12 04:30 PM

Doug - here is the car after coming back from the vinyl top guy

Attached picture 7109136-JS71030712.jpg

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/08/12 04:45 PM

That looks fantastic!

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/08/12 08:57 PM

Quote:

That looks fantastic!

Thanks Bruce. When I bought it I thought the car was black stripes with no vinyl top.

Turns out it's stripe delete with the white top. Didn't think I was going to like that, but I think it looks pretty cool now.

You should see what it looked like before I started.

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/08/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

That looks fantastic!

Nice piece!

MB
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/08/12 09:32 PM

Chris , That looks INCREDIBLE! Wish mine had the "bumpers" I know you don't want to do it , but it would look nice with the side R/T stripes?

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/08/12 10:48 PM

Quote:

Chris , That looks INCREDIBLE! Wish mine had the "bumpers" I know you don't want to do it , but it would look nice with the side R/T stripes?

Kevin - that would be against my religion.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 03/08/12 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin - that would be against my religion.

Ya , but look at all the others...... Blue , Green , Plum Crazy "?" ..............
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Looking for info/pics on Challenger Elastomeric bumpers - 12/31/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Doug - here is the car after coming back from the vinyl top guy

Any updates on your car?

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums