Moparts

Dye/paint interior?

Posted By: MRHWS

Dye/paint interior? - 01/31/10 03:24 AM

Hi, new to the board and wasn't sure if this has been asked before. I have a '73 SE that has a white interior. I want to change to black. I am going to have the seats covered, but didn't want to spend all the $$$ for new panels since car is not stock. I have heard of SEM paint for the plastic, but is it also for the vinyl? I have heard the term dye used. Is that also for plastic and are there 2 different processes.... paint and dye?
Posted By: sawdust

Re: Dye/paint interior? - 01/31/10 04:29 AM

You can "dye" the panels black but would recommend the full process from SEM, cleaner, prep (a plastic softener) and dye/paint, in order to properly color the panels.
I imagine you are wanting to "dye" the door panels?
How are the white panels as colors other than black tend to chalk? If they are chalked buying black panels may be your only option. My

Re: Dye/paint interior? - 01/31/10 04:50 AM

Quote:

You can "dye" the panels black but would recommend the full process from SEM, cleaner, prep (a plastic softener) and dye/paint, in order to properly color the panels.
I imagine you are wanting to "dye" the door panels?
How are the white panels as colors other than black tend to chalk? If they are chalked buying black panels may be your only option. My

Seller told me everything was redone in '06 with Year One> It still looks new.
Posted By: sawdust

Re: Dye/paint interior? - 01/31/10 05:08 AM

If they are repo panels, just go with SEM products to make them black. My again.
Thanks.

Re: Dye/paint interior? - 01/31/10 05:17 AM

Quote:

If they are repo panels, just go with SEM products to make them black. My again.
Thanks.

They are repops. What do I use on the upper vinyl pieces?
Posted By: Slim Smitty

Re: Dye/paint interior? - 01/31/10 06:16 AM

Here's a link for you to check out:
Eastwood interior dye systems

Re: Dye/paint interior? - 01/31/10 02:30 PM

Quote:

Here's a link for you to check out:
Eastwood interior dye systems

Thanks for the tip. I forgot all about the neet stuff Eastwood had. I used their stainless buffing products years ago.
© 2024 Moparts Forums