Moparts

AM Radio part number

Posted By: RapidRunner

AM Radio part number - 02/07/07 08:28 PM

What is the correct part number on teh radio for the AM only radio in our cars?

I see 2884 634 in the parts manual, but all the '69 Bbody radios I see on Ebay and some here are all 2884 631?

MikeE
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/07/07 09:10 PM

I've got an old one. I'll see if there's a P/N and let you know unless someone answers you first.
Posted By: Fasbird

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/07/07 10:43 PM

You may see different numbers as the radios had three different faces. ie; DODGE, CHRYSLER, and weren't there the harder to find PLYMOUTH??? So, you may get different answers from the Dodge Boys. Mike, you know us Plymouth guys have all the right answers.
Posted By: SixBBL69Boy

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/08/07 01:58 AM

Attached is a pic of my original radio.

Attached picture 3278545-6-9-2006-81.jpg

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/08/07 02:03 PM

Jason,

Your pic was what started me thinking. I saved from the first time you posted it. I looked at the two radios I had and niether had the 631 or 634.
I started looking on Ebay and I have seen many 631 radios listed as out of a RR or BEE, but the parts manaul only listed the 634 for both the RR and BEE.

Could it be that the parts manual is a 1971 release and they missed a part number?

Anyone have a 634 Radio??

MikeE

Attached picture 3279505-RadioTag(Large).jpg
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/10/07 10:20 AM

MikeE,
The two radios you have are as follows..
#2864767 model # 251 is 68-9 Belvedere
#2864515 model # 244 is 68-9 Barracuda

Of course the model # 251 is correct for your
R line Belvedere, Road Runner, Satellite GTX models. The other radio you have should be noticably different, unless someone has monkied with it. The Barracuda radio will have a different chrome bezel, dial face, clear lense,
big fat chrome preset buttons, and the mounting stud will be on the bottom instead of the back,
those are a few of the more obvious differences.
If you have any other radio related questions, please feel free to contact us. Mopar radio restorations is what we specialize in..
Also if you go to our website, click on "services"
and you can see the difference between the model 251 and model 244.
Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/
gregward@mchsi.com

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/10/07 10:31 AM

Also the 2884631 is probably the 69 B body Chrysler face , but I do not have my books in front of me. Most 69 B body thumbwheels will have the Chrysler dial face , probably 70% . Then about 20% Dodge face and 10 % Plymouth face .
Give or take. We restore probably about 100 or so
68-9 B body AM radios per year , also we have about 50-60 of them on the shelf right now for parts . Most people will tell you the Dodge/Plymouth dial face was a 68 only deal, but that is just not true. I have seen tons of 69 units , with 69 production date codes with the Dodge or Plymouth face as well . However, most 69's did carry the Chrysler face. It was more of a vendor supply at the assembly plant on that given day, issue more than any other circumstance.

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
gregward@mchsi.com
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/10/07 11:01 AM

Thanks for all that rr and bml. You're the folks that do all the ultra cool behind the faceplate conversions aren't you?

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/10/07 11:10 AM

No, actually we only restore the radios back 100 % original to look and sound as they did in 1969.
We do not do any modern modifications.
Greg

gregward@mchsi.com

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/10/07 11:14 AM

Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/10/07 12:21 PM

BigMoney, when you say the Chrysler face, are you referring to the radios that say Chryco? I wasn't sure if it was possibly an original in my 69 Road Runner.
Thanks,
Dave

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/10/07 02:17 PM

Your pic shows the p/n but what does it say on the face?
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/11/07 01:23 AM

Great info BigMoney! I was curious...Would there be a time during 69 production - early or late - that may give any clues as to when the "Plymouth/Dodge" vs. "Chrysler" logo was used? How about plants? My early Lynch Rd. 69 'Runner has the Chrysler logo. Thanks for the info!

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/11/07 05:12 AM

When I get radios in, I generally have no way of knowing if it came out of a Lynch Rd car, Hamtramck, or whatever, so I honestly do not know how the vendor supply per assembly plant situation was back in 69. I do know, based on the date codes on the part number tags, that most
69 models did infact have the "Chrysler" face.
I would suspect however, that in a concourse situation, on a 69 1/2 M code RM car, you would be fine with Either the Chrysler or Plymouth,
and on the WM , Either the Chrysler or Dodge .
Also note, typically , white indicator needles were used in 68, and orange in 69, however, there again, it is a very grey area, based on vendor supply. And to respond to one of the above questions about the "Chryco" face radios, those are different model radios all together, and found almost entirely in Canada .

Greg

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/11/07 07:13 AM

Quote:

When I get radios in, I generally have no way of knowing if it came out of a Lynch Rd car, Hamtramck, or whatever, so I honestly do not know how the vendor supply per assembly plant situation was back in 69. I do know, based on the date codes on the part number tags, that most
I would suspect however, that in a concourse situation, on a 69 1/2 M code RM car, you would be fine with Either the Chrysler or Plymouth,
Also note, typically , white indicator needles were used in 68, and orange in 69, however, there again, it is a very grey area, based on vendor supply. And to respond to one of the above questions about the "Chryco" face radios, those are different model radios all together, and found almost entirely in Canada .

Greg

That would be right for Dave's car

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/11/07 07:17 AM

Greg,

Awesome info. The model 251 is the one in my car.

I have 2 others just like you described. See pic.

Any idea what the numbers in dark black mean??

MikeE

Attached picture 3286490-DSC05930.JPG

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/11/07 07:18 AM

Only one of those two has a label. It also has this lable on the side.

MikeE

Attached picture 3286492-DSC05934(Large).JPG

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/11/07 11:17 AM

The long rectangular tags found on the side
are for the inspectors showing the radio has passed all it's tests upon each stage of being assembled. The other numbers found on the
square part # tag on the top plate are some type of vendor ID .I am not real sure what they mean.
Most tags will have a date code stamped in dark
bolder numbers. For example , here we have a 1970
B body AM with a date code of 2409, the 240th day
of 1969.

gregward@mchsi.com

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/11/07 02:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Greg

That would be right for Dave's car

I'll have to pull my radio out of the car and check the numbers on it since it appears the "Chryco" radios are in Canadian cars like mine.
BigMoney, thanks again for the information.

Dave

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 02:21 AM

Here is an update on my radio. According to Big Money Lewis, Canadian cars have entirely different radios with the word "Chryco" on the face.

Here are the numbers:

Model CD59014
Serial 09372

I assume the 2649963 is the part number, and 1528 is the date code of the 152nd day of '68? Seems pretty early for a March '69 build car.

Dave

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 04:14 AM

"According to Big Money Lewis, Canadian cars have entirely different radios with the word "Chryco" on the face. "

Well, that's not exactly what I said . What I meant was , every time I have ever seen a "Chryco"
face radio, for example on e-bay, it has been located in Canada. I don't mean every Y07 spec car should have a Chryco face . I will say that ,
I have personally handled over 1,000 68-9 B body
am thumbwheel radios, and I have NEVER held a chryco in my hands, however, I have seen at least
30-40 listed for sale over the last couple years
, all were located in Canada .
The part # you gave, honestly I don't see it showing up in any books so far. Honestly, I know very little about the elusive Chryco .
It sounds like this is a topic worthy of more research .

Greg

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 04:25 AM

BigMoneyLewis, thanks for correcting me, I read too much into your comment on the "Chryco" face. There are a few Canadian A12 cars that are either with the original owner or have been with the same owner for many years. Maybe they can check their radios also to see what they say.
Dave

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 04:36 AM

I'd still like to know for the record, what's the name on sixbbl69boy's radio face?

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 11:36 AM

Hey Dave, would you have a picture of said chryco face radio? I've never seen one.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 12:30 PM

I thought I had a digital pic of mine, but only an old regular pic, and no scanner. Sorry. I will take a new pic with digital camera and post next time I see my dash.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 03:17 PM

Quote:

Here is an update on my radio. According to Big Money Lewis, Canadian cars have entirely different radios with the word "Chryco" on the face.

Here are the numbers:

Model CD59014
Serial 09372

I assume the 2649963 is the part number, and 1528 is the date code of the 152nd day of '68? Seems pretty early for a March '69 build car.

Dave

Wonder if the "CD" in the Nodel number stands for Canada??

MikeE

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 04:22 PM

Photo isn't necessary. I was just wondering what the name on the face is? Thanks.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 05:42 PM

Quote:

Hey Dave, would you have a picture of said chryco face radio? I've never seen one.

Ask and you shall recieve.
When I was taking the car apart for the restoration, I never had seen a Chryco radio, only the Chrysler Solid State face.

Here is the face.....

Attached picture 3294792-A12Chrycoradio3.JPG

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here are the numbers:

Model CD59014
Serial 09372

Dave

Wonder if the "CD" in the Nodel number stands for Canada??

MikeE

Mike, I was wondering the same thing that the CD meant a Canadian model.

Here is the part tag on top.

Dave

Attached picture 3294795-A12Chrycoradio1.JPG
Posted By: Big_John

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 06:53 PM

The radios are different in Canada because they broadcast in Metric up there.

Seriously, is the part number in the parts catalog for a radio "package"? Speaker, antennae etc. as you would buy if you were adding a radio to a radio delete car.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 09:13 PM

My face says "Chrysler Solid State" on it.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 09:19 PM

I wanna cool chryco radio.
Great thread guys.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/14/07 09:46 PM

Quote:

That's what mine says on it. I think that's the typical one for the A12's. I wonder what the ones marked "Plymouth...." came in?
Posted By: mitimopar

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/15/07 12:00 AM

Mine says "Dodge Solid State". Go figure.

Mike
Posted By: Fasbird

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/15/07 04:02 PM

Quote:

Mine says "Dodge Solid State". Go figure.

Mike

Out of curiousity, are the PN#'s the same or different from the CHRYCO, DODGE, etc.??? Can any who have the different faces chime in with the part number tag on the radios?

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/15/07 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what mine says on it. I think that's the typical one for the A12's. I wonder what the ones marked "Plymouth...." came in?

Really !!, I thought no radio was typical

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/15/07 04:19 PM

Okay all, let's have it. It's not hard, just peek inside your interior compartment.

Let's hear what writing is on the face plate of your radios?
Posted By: mitimopar

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/15/07 06:50 PM

By the way - I bought a restored radio for my 383 bee from BigMoneyLewis and it looks fantastic and works great.

Mike

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/16/07 01:06 AM

As previously mentioned, the Dodge, Plymouth Chrysler and Chryco, all 4 will have different part numbers. Your best bet is to go with the Chrysler face , probably 75-80 % of your a12 cars
had this one originally. But you COULD have had
a Dodge face in the Superbee, or a Plymouth face
in the Road Runner. Either radio is 100 % correct for your application, just depended on vendor supply at the plant on that particular day .
As far as the Chryco (which also has 68-9 Dodge dart style chrome preset buttons) who knows what's
going on with that ? It could have been for cars
actually built in Canada at R code plant(not A12s of course) an over the counter dealer radio
or whatever. All I know is Chryco was Canada's
Chrysler division. I certainly would not think an A12 car , built as a Y07 Canadian spec car, would have left Lynch Rd with a Chryco radio.
My thoughs is that it was installed sometime latter.
Just guessing.

Greg

gregward@mchsi.com
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/16/07 02:05 AM

Greg, I just talked to a couple of guys that have owned their A12 cars a long time. One since new and the other guy owned his since the early seventies. Both of their cars and my car have " CHRYSLER SOLID STATE " radios.

These are all Canadian cars with 2 of the cars being early production and one built in May of 1969.

FYI

Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/16/07 02:51 AM

Out of a car I would think to be original, untouched since 1974, Superbee.

Rick.

Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/16/07 02:55 AM

Of the 4 cars I have fiddled with, 3 bees and 1 rr, all have said Chrysler Solid State.

Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/19/07 09:08 PM

Quote:

The only piece of original equipment left from the stripping down of my roadruner is the radio, and it's marked "Plymouth ...".
Posted By: mccannix

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/20/07 12:22 AM

I believe Greg to be correct in stating A12 cars built as Y07 for Canadian specs would not have left Lynch Road with a Chryco radio.
However if you had a radio malfunction in Canada, your dealer would get a brand new Chryco radio like this NOS 70 B-body radio delivered in one of these boxes. These radios were Made in Canada (see on radio) by Phillips (on label) in Toronto up until about 1984. I could be wrong but I think Phillips made the majority of Canadian radios and Bendix manufactured the US radios

Attached picture 3307903-chryco1.JPG
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/20/07 12:33 AM

When I was a youngster I can remember that a lot of the cars my parents looked at would not have a radio installed from the factory and the dealer would install the radio of choise. If it was a Canadian delivered car then possibly the radio was installed at the dealer which would possibly make the Canadian radio correct, or possibly even more correct would be no radio as it was delivered from the factory.
Posted By: dstryr

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/20/07 12:39 AM

Chrysler Solid State on mine.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/20/07 02:16 AM

Chrysler Solid State on this one also 2884631 that was removed from a 69 Coronet by the dealer Roblin Motors in 69 at the request of the owner who replaced it with an AM/FM unit

Attached picture 3308298-chryco2.JPG
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/20/07 01:20 PM

Not 69 but the original 70 in my bird.

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/20/07 02:14 PM

Quote:

I believe Greg to be correct in stating A12 cars built as Y07 for Canadian specs would not have left Lynch Road with a Chryco radio.
However if you had a radio malfunction in Canada, your dealer would get a brand new Chryco radio like this NOS 70 B-body radio delivered in one of these boxes. These radios were Made in Canada (see on radio) by Phillips (on label) in Toronto up until about 1984. I could be wrong but I think Phillips made the majority of Canadian radios and Bendix manufactured the US radios

A 70 radio dated 0039 ??

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/20/07 10:14 PM

A 70 radio dated 0039 ??

Sharp eye there! I should have stated the one in that photo is a new 69 radio, but was just trying to show the Made in Canada stamp and its the clearer of the ones I have

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/21/07 02:56 PM

Quote:

A 70 radio dated 0039 ??

Sharp eye there! I should have stated the one in that photo is a new 69 radio, but was just trying to show the Made in Canada stamp and its the clearer of the ones I have

Posted By: pacifica

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/25/07 05:46 PM

Radio from my car, 69' Roadrunner [NOT A-12], St.Louis plant,5/28 build date, appears to be original.

Steve

Attached picture 3321833-buildsheets002.jpg
Posted By: pacifica

Re: AM Radio part number - 02/25/07 06:23 PM

Picture of face "CHRYSLER"

Attached picture 3321918-buildsheets005.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: AM Radio part number - 03/09/07 09:30 AM

Dodge info.

MikeE, searching for Plymouth bulletin and numbers.

MikeR

Attached picture 3352005-MOPARTECHSERVICEBULETINNoD6914pg112181968mpts.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: AM Radio part number - 03/09/07 09:33 AM

Read why some cars may have had "Made in Canada" CHRYCO radios.

Attached picture 3352007-MOPARTECHSERVICEBULETINNoD6914pg212181968mpts.jpg

Re: AM Radio part number - 06/30/09 07:43 PM

Quote:

Read why some cars may have had "Made in Canada" CHRYCO radios.

But still no mention of the 2649963 Chryco one. Interesting thread, I will go check my radios to see, I have a lot of Chryco ones. The reason I found this thread is I was looking to find Y/M/M for a radio I am about to sell. It is the Phillips 3649963, model CD59014 Mark P1 73773 with a date of 0388, yet it has the orange indicator, and I am sure I pulled it from a 69...Dart. The face says Dart Solid State.

Attached picture 5324792-1212.JPG

Re: AM Radio part number - 06/30/09 09:51 PM

The above radio is 68-9 Dart . Pretty common radio. That's the Phillips model. Bendix also made a
68-9 Dart AM as well. The main thing people look for when buying that particular radio, is the condition of the chrome on the 5 preset buttons. They are unique to the 68-9 Dart and very often the chrome peels off . I've got at least a dozen
of those right now with bad chrome on the buttons .

Greg

We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 14 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: AM Radio part number - 06/30/09 09:56 PM

Anyone have any idea what this one came from originally?

Thanks!

Darren

Attached picture 5325086-AMRadio.JPG

Re: AM Radio part number - 06/30/09 10:02 PM

That one is a mix match of parts . It appears to have 67 Plymouth push buttons on a 68 thumbwheel radio. Hard to say exactly because the plastic dash bezel is hiding the radio, so it can not be
determined . I would need to see photos of the front, top , bottom of the radio, out of the car.
I know I serviced that radio , but with over 500 Mopar radios a year going through this shop, It would be impossible for me to remember them all .

Greg

We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 14 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: AM Radio part number - 06/30/09 10:21 PM

Thanks Gregs, yes you serviced it last year and added the AUX jack to it. I'll try to get it pulled out and get some better pictures taken.

Darren

Re: AM Radio part number - 07/01/09 01:03 AM

Quote:

The above radio is 68-9 Dart . Pretty common radio. That's the Phillips model. Bendix also made a
68-9 Dart AM as well. The main thing people look for when buying that particular radio, is the condition of the chrome on the 5 preset buttons. They are unique to the 68-9 Dart and very often the chrome peels off . I've got at least a dozen
of those right now with bad chrome on the buttons .

Greg

Thanks for the info. 4/5 of the buttons on this one are great.
Posted By: Furyman

Re: AM Radio part number - 07/01/09 02:00 AM

Chryco radios are pretty common around here....I even have some original steel tools for the silkscreening somewhere in my basement.Foto is of the USA 69 Radio and Antenna Order Sheet.

Attached picture 5325594-69radios.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums