Moparts

Paint under vinyl top?

Posted By: mopar 394

Paint under vinyl top? - 12/12/09 12:37 PM

I know this has been covered before but couldn't find it. My vinyl top car is in primer and I wanted to know what the finish on the roof needs to be under the top. Is sealer ok to install the top over or can I use some single stage paint left over from the engine compartment? Or should I paint it base/clear with the rest of the car and do I need to rough it up? Thanks, Todd
Posted By: 1hot68

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/12/09 02:46 PM

Single stage will work just fine. You will need to sand the primer before shooting the paint,but there is no need to rough up the paint before installing the new vinyl.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/13/09 07:10 PM

Just paint it base clear with the rest of the car and rough it up with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper before installing the top.

Dave
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/13/09 07:27 PM

I can't wait to see the post were a "Mopar" guy/gal paints the car inside and out, top to bottom, engine bay, trunk, jambs, underside, hardtop or vinyl roof car, regardless of what gets covered up/over with trim, upholstrey etc,etc with the same "stage" of paint .....I've been painting cars for 30 years,.....and I'm amazed at the "Mopar mismash" of painting panels off the car, different "stages" of paint used in jambs, engine bays, trunks.... .....I don't get it?,...is it a $$$ factor?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/13/09 07:33 PM

Quote:

I can't wait to see the post were a "Mopar" guy/gal paints the car inside and out, top to bottom, engine bay, trunk, jambs, underside, hardtop or vinyl roof car, regardless of what gets covered up/over with trim, upholstrey etc,etc with the same "stage" of paint .....I've been painting cars for 30 years,.....and I'm amazed at the "Mopar mismash" of painting panels off the car, different "stages" of paint used in jambs, engine bays, trunks.... .....I don't get it?,...is it a $$$ factor?

Yeah, we're all really cheap.... Any paint under the vinyl top has to be better than what the factory did.. Just lay down a couple full wet coats so it's well sealed.... Paint it Pink, it'll be worth more..
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/13/09 10:00 PM

Quote:

I'm with you on that one ,and I will probably never understand it either.

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/13/09 10:34 PM

I personally would never do it that way,but I can understand why some of these guy do.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 03:12 AM

Quote:

Just paint it base clear with the rest of the car and rough it up with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper before installing the top.

Dave

Why bother with the base, just clear right over the primer. Single stage without needing to get something else.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 05:45 AM

Quote:

I personally would never do it that way,but I can understand why some of these guy do.

please help me understand,I want to know
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 12:39 PM

just taking a guess here but I think the people using the single stage paint in the jambs along with the front and rear compartments are guys doing some of the paint themselves then sending the car out to the pro to shoot the main body?

at least with me that was the case when the GTX was done.

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 01:17 PM

Yep, thats just what I was thinking.

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Why bother with the base, just clear right over the primer. Single stage without needing to get something else.

Well, that would certainly work, but I just figured it was simpler to tell them to paint the whole car without trying to treat certain areas differently.......your car; your choices - mine got painted EVERYWHERE in base/clear.

Dave
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 05:30 PM

I would think with the cost of materials now it isnt practical to base/clear a roof that will be getting covered.

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 05:44 PM

Quote:

I would think with the cost of materials now it isnt practical to base/clear a roof that will be getting covered.

....In the big scheme of the $100k plus I've spent on this car, the extra $50 or $100 bucks worth of base coat to have color on the roof was negligible......but I see your point.

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: hemiheadNC

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/14/09 11:59 PM

....dont EVER use POR 15 under a v-top....
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/15/09 12:02 AM

Quote:

....dont EVER use POR 15....

Fixed it for ya!!
Posted By: hemiheadNC

Re: Paint under vinyl top? - 12/15/09 12:05 AM

...thanks, you're right....sorry, brain drain on Monday....
© 2024 Moparts Forums