Moparts

AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!!

Posted By: cloneguy

AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/04/09 09:36 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, here we go...

This week, we picked up a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T for our customer and brought it to the shop.

We are transforming this muscle car into a fire breathing beast, suitable for street cruising, Chevy and Ford destroying stop light runs or to be at home at any drag strip. We call it the AMERICAN SUPER CAR.

We're doing a full rotisserie job on the body with super slick, mirror finish, black paint.

Suspension, traction and braking are all aftermarket improvements.

AND, last but far from least, we are building a 588 inch HEMI to custom specs to get the job done!

The customer has procured a special, purpose built Keisler 5 speed and a custom Dana from our vendors.

We offer this type of build for any kind of car in addition to our factory style restorations.

Excluding the cost of the engine build, the AMERICAN SUPER CAR build also carries with it, our $25K MAX Labor Guarantee!

This build will be documented from start to finish right here on Moparts and on our new website, www.AmericanMuscleCarRevolution.com (as soon as I get it finished).

PS. We received most of the pieces this week that we've been waiting for to finish up Mike's B7 U code Cuda. The transmission should arrive any day. So stay tuned on that thread for the final product and a few more in-progress photos soon.
Posted By: 383man

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/08/09 05:49 AM

Sounds cool. Wish I lived near you as I would apply for a job. Ron
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/10/09 04:32 AM

Sounds great. I certainly look forward to seeing the kind of work your shop can produce. You should also invite the car owner to post his experience on this topic as well. It would be interesting to see both sides of the process.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/10/09 08:05 PM

We absolutely will! We have recently made it a policy to show all of our Mopar restorations on this site for the masses to pick apart, I mean comment on and enjoy.

Here is the link to the one we're finishing up:

1970 U code Cuda Restoration

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/11/09 11:02 PM

Here's what we are starting with...

Attached picture 5661688-7.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/11/09 11:03 PM

another...

Attached picture 5661689-9.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/11/09 11:03 PM

and another...

Attached picture 5661693-6.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/11/09 11:04 PM

last one.

Attached picture 5661694-1.jpg
Posted By: Mr. Dodge

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/14/09 07:00 AM

Quote:

Sounds great. I certainly look forward to seeing the kind of work your shop can produce. You should also invite the car owner to post his experience on this topic as well. It would be interesting to see both sides of the process.

Im here and I am SUPER impressed with Tim, Mike and the rest of the crew @ AMCR

So far both quarters have have been cut off and all of the pin holes have been welded or cut out and a patch inserted in its place. Here is a few pics.

Attached picture 5666731-S6303061.JPG

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/14/09 07:01 AM

Attached picture 5666732-S6303060.JPG

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/14/09 07:02 AM

3 getting the mini tub treatment

Attached picture 5666735-S6303070.JPG

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/14/09 07:05 AM

Attached picture 5666737-S6303053.JPG
Posted By: grizzlygiff

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/14/09 10:59 PM

I like watching these posts showing progress. I was curious why you might be using just quarter skins instead of the original style full AMD quarters that most people seem to really like? Not bashing your choice, just wondering.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 12:27 AM

First and foremost, it didn't need full quarters.

The skins cost a lot less and the way we cut the old skins off and butt weld the new ones on, you end up with all of the factory welds everywhere except on the outer wheel house. Once we grind down both sides of the butt weld, there isn't even a line where the new weld is.
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 02:00 AM

Can't see in the pics. Where were the quarters rotted?
Posted By: anlauto

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 02:12 AM

You strip the 1/4's to bare metal then cut them off?

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 02:27 AM

We're not on the clock at our shop. The whole job is a fixed price.

We strip the whole car down to bare metal, send detailed photos to the customer and they decide what they want us to repair versus replace. The price is the same regardless. The customer pays for the parts at our discounted cost.

These panels had rust and previous repairs under the paint in more than one place on both sides and the customer chose not to have them patched in multiple areas.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 02:35 AM

That's cool

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 02:51 AM

Quote:

We're not on the clock at our shop. The whole job is a fixed price.

We strip the whole car down to bare metal, send detailed photos to the customer and they decide what they want us to repair versus replace. The price is the same regardless. The customer pays for the parts at our discounted cost.

These panels had rust and previous repairs under the paint in more than one place on both sides and the customer chose not to have them patched in multiple areas.

Thanks Tim you saved me from typing that!!!!
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 04:26 AM

Mr. Dodge,

If that is your car, you will not be disappointed with american muscles work. they send detailed photos as they bill to show you what they are doing with your car. Hubert and MIke have like 80 years combined experience in body and paint work. Tim has many years of mechanical experience as well. They will do their best to exceed your expectations. So far, AMCR's work on my Cuda has come out great and I cant wait to see it in person. I will probably get a chance to see your car when i go south to see mine before it comes back home. I wish you the best of luck with your car.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 04:45 PM

Quote:

Mr. Dodge,

If that is your car, you will not be disappointed with american muscles work. they send detailed photos as they bill to show you what they are doing with your car. Hubert and MIke have like 80 years combined experience in body and paint work. Tim has many years of mechanical experience as well. They will do their best to exceed your expectations. So far, AMCR's work on my Cuda has come out great and I cant wait to see it in person. I will probably get a chance to see your car when i go south to see mine before it comes back home. I wish you the best of luck with your car.

Hey I have been watching your car get built. NICE CAR!!! I know the build just started But I'm chompin on the bit for the first drive

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 06:38 PM

Ok, here is Monday's progress.

One mini tub, allowing 16.75 inches of clearance.

Attached picture 5669481-10.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 06:39 PM

QP skin fitted and ready...

Attached picture 5669485-11.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 06:41 PM

QP skin butt welded and mostly ground to flush.

Should have Tuesdays updates tonight. Look for the other side to be in the same condition by then.

Attached picture 5669491-12.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 10:06 PM

Tuesday's update. Driver's mini tub in place.

Attached picture 5669818-13.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 10:08 PM

Quarter panel fitted, welded and mostly ground flush.

Attached picture 5669821-14.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/15/09 10:09 PM

Trunk pan cut to fit due to mini tubs, installation and more tomorrow...

Attached picture 5669827-15.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/16/09 10:31 PM

Wednesday's update.

Look at this trunk pan. Adapted to fit the mini tubs and will still look like factory after the welds are ground!

Attached picture 5671924-16.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/16/09 10:32 PM

The other side...

Attached picture 5671930-17.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/16/09 10:33 PM

Decklid...

Attached picture 5671933-18.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/16/09 10:34 PM

More...

Attached picture 5671936-19.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/16/09 10:36 PM

Look for doors, fenders and valances on Thursday.
Posted By: mickm

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/16/09 11:04 PM

if you could post higher resolution pictures, that would be great!

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/16/09 11:36 PM

It's my understanding that the photos we post are supposed to be less than 500 pixels wide. These are 480.

As many as we post, I don't want to use up too much space on the forum.

Am I wrong?
Posted By: mickm

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/17/09 02:48 AM

Quote:

It's my understanding that the photos we post are supposed to be less than 500 pixels wide. These are 480.

As many as we post, I don't want to use up too much space on the forum.

Am I wrong?

as far as i know, (and i post pictures all the time), they just need to be under 700k in size. it isn't really a matter of space, as it is of download time, especially for those on slower connections.

if i want to show decent detail, i will typically post in the 300k-400k range.

that may be large for slower connections, but i've never heard anyone complain.

especially with stuff like this, a big picture with detail is important.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/17/09 03:27 AM

Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 02:29 AM

Looks great, keep the pictures coming. I enjoy these posts the most watching these cars being brought back. Great job AMCR. John.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:31 PM

Thursday's update. Sorry for the late postings.

Attached picture 5675488-27.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:32 PM

What evil lurks beneath the old paint?

Attached picture 5675492-20.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:33 PM

Can you believe that they used to call this "fixing" the damage?

Attached picture 5675495-25.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:37 PM

Super Mike to the rescue! (horns blowing the tune of CHARGE!!!)

He Hammers, he Dollys.

He pulls, he pushes, he picks, he uses the mig welder to fill the holes and Presto Chango...

Not finished yet tho.

Attached picture 5675510-26.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:40 PM

Door rust sux.

Attached picture 5675516-21.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:42 PM

Cant stand it when little holes become bigger holes.

Attached picture 5675520-22.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:43 PM

Look Ma! We found patches that fit perfectly!

Attached picture 5675525-23.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/18/09 05:44 PM

...and they stitched right in! Yahoo!

Attached picture 5675528-24.jpg
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/19/09 03:42 PM

Quote:

Can you believe that they used to call this "fixing" the damage?

what do you mean "used to"? They still do, there are plenty of old butchers still punch holes and yank

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 05:59 PM

Friday's Update.

Whenever we do a butt weld on a major panel, we follow it up with a scoop of fiberglass jelly. This is used to be sure that there are no pin holes for rust to use as a breeding ground. 99.99% of it get sanded of before sealing.

Attached picture 5679415-28.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:00 PM

Other side...

Attached picture 5679418-30.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:02 PM

Side scoops fitted.
Thanks to Ben Snobar for including the template.

Attached picture 5679420-29.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:04 PM

A little filler on the inner wheel tubs to be sure they look as good in the places you can't see as the places you can see. Most of this gets sanded off too.

Attached picture 5679428-31.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:07 PM

other wheel tub...

Attached picture 5679437-32.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:09 PM

Fender 1

Attached picture 5679440-33.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:10 PM

Fender 2

Attached picture 5679441-34.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:13 PM

Quote:

Friday's Update.

Whenever we do a butt weld on a major panel, we follow it up with a scoop of fiberglass jelly. This is used to be sure that there are no pin holes for rust to use as a breeding ground. 99.99% of it get sanded of before sealing.

Tim, just curious why you wouldn't use AMD's full qtrs, seems the amount of work to install the 1/2 skins would elate to the same amount of time/money to install full qtrs,...the benefit being IMHO a more structualy sound car, with less chance of the welds possiblely breaking down the road as the body will see torsional loads......

Mike
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:17 PM

rust never sleeps

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:19 PM

This has been a heck of a week.

Mike and Hubert busted their butts to show that these two old guys can still walk the walk.

Believe it or not, there will be just as many hours getting this bad boy ready to paint as there was in the work that they've done so far.

Mike will take over this car by himself at this point. He'll primer and block over and over until he gets it just the way he wants it.

When he gets done, this beast will be squirted in BLACK! He'll give it the slickest mirror finish possible.

Stay tuned boys and girls...

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Friday's Update.

Tim, just curious why you wouldn't use AMD's full qtrs, seems the amount of work to install the 1/2 skins would elate to the same amount of time/money to install full qtrs,...the benefit being IMHO a more structualy sound car, with less chance of the welds possiblely breaking down the road as the body will see torsional loads......

Mike

At our shop, the labor cost wouldn't change regardless of which way we went. But, the cost of the full quarters is substantially more than the skins. We guarantee our work for the life of the original customer. So, we just saved him about $1,000 on parts.

With correct penetration, a proper butt weld is stronger than the metal around it so there is virtually no chance of the weld breaking.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 08:05 PM

Why would you put bondo on top of the original red paint?
(inner wheel tubs)
In most cases you would want the entire car strip properly before any rust repair is started in my opinion....

Are the areas behind the new 1/4 panel getting any kind of attention?

The B7 Cuda will be well under the $25K max as you said, where will this Bee fall? Still $25K max?

I don't quite understand how installing the new AMD full 1/4 would be the same price (time)as installing/blocking these partial 1/4's

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/20/09 10:52 PM

Quote:

Why would you put bondo on top of the original red paint?
(inner wheel tubs)
In most cases you would want the entire car strip properly before any rust repair is started in my opinion....

Are the areas behind the new 1/4 panel getting any kind of attention?

The B7 Cuda will be well under the $25K max as you said, where will this Bee fall? Still $25K max?

I don't quite understand how installing the new AMD full 1/4 would be the same price (time)as installing/blocking these partial 1/4's

The filler on the inner wheel tubs is over the mini tubs that we made for the car. Yes, it extends out over some red paint but all of that will come off when we get back in there. There is no rust in that area.

Yes, he etched and treated the back of the panels with Sems Weldable Primer before they went on. They will be coated to the owner's specs after installation.

Still well under the $25k MAX.
The Hemi is a separate purchase though.

Quarter Panels: We didn't say it took the same amount of time, just that we charged the same amount. Here's the deal. We knew that the quarters had rust in the lower areas and bid the car accordingly. Once we got into it, we found that there was a good deal of other damage as well. At that point, we sent detailed photos to the customer along with options.

1) We can buy some patch panels and butt weld them in. We'll shrink the dents and hammer & dolly as best it can be done. The cost of the parts is $X.

2) We can buy quarter skins and butt weld them in. The cost of the parts is $X more.

3) We can buy full quarters and put them in as the factory would. The cost of the parts is $X more.

The customer did not want multple patches per side on the quarters nor did he see the benefit of paying for full quarters when all of the damage was repaired with the skins. With these skins butt welded and ground on both sides, there will be no sign of them not being original when the car is done. See the lines where they are spliced in and remember that the only fiberglass jelly that will still be there when we finish will be in any pin holes that we didn't see.

The labor on the car is a fixed bid and we would have done whatever the customer wanted us to do without any additional charge.

The only way the price would have gone up is if the customer represented to us that the quarters needed no work and then we later found out that they did. If it had been bad enough, that wouldn't have happened or we would have seen either in the photos or certainly before we started on the car.

Some people might think we're crazy but, in our book, it just wouldn't be right to raise the price just because we did a little extra work for a customer.

Full quarters do take a little more time but, when you've been doing it for over 50 years like Hubert, it's not really that much more time in reality. We don't use book time on anything because we can beat it by a lot, just about 100% of the time.

That's why I didn't respond to the thread before asking how long it takes to put QP's on a Challenger. We're in the business of doing restorations, not just quarter panels.
Posted By: unknown

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/22/09 12:08 AM

Well I can say that I enjoy looking at all the pics you have posted for us to enjoy and maybe learn from. And im not trying to bash your posts BUT cutting apart a unibody car on a rotisserie and welding 1/4 panels and a trunk floor while supported like that??? I think your making a big mistake using fiberglass jelly? over welded seams. Lead is the only way to go. Anyway good luck .

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/22/09 12:59 AM

We appreciate the input but we haven't had one move on us yet. The roof and the rest of the car do a pretty good job of holding things in place.

We use temporary supports on convertibles but there doesn't seem to be a need on hardtops unless you're doing a whole quarter.

Lead is pretty toxic and, since we're only plugging possible pin holes with the vast majority to be removed, we'll stick with fiberglass until something better comes along.
Posted By: 68CudaB1

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/22/09 03:01 PM

Keep the pics and updates coming, it is cool to see how other people do things, whether they are the same as "we" would do them or not

It is amazing how people on here love to bicker and poke at other people's work
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/22/09 06:24 PM

.....YES it is amazing that most of the ones doing the bickering dont even do bodywork or restoration work for a living !!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/22/09 11:08 PM

Quote:

.....YES it is amazing that most of the ones doing the bickering dont even do bodywork or restoration work for a living !!

I really don't see anyone pokeing a stick in Tim,(unless some postings have been deleted?) just some questioning the procedures they employ, as everyone has an opinion or process as to how they restore a car,.....then again if you post your work here, you are in essences, asking for a critique of your work, wether solicited, or not

Mike

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/23/09 01:29 AM

Mike is right. We're happy to look at any and all ways to improve what we do.

Every posting has the potential to help us.

For example, I just found a great site that sells the metal parts I'll need when we do my Superbird!

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/23/09 04:40 AM

I question Tim on things not to nic-pic but to learn how and why others do things the way they do....
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 12/23/09 04:44 PM

Quote:

I question Tim on things not to nic-pic but to learn how and why others do things the way they do....

In some places, that is called industrial espionage...

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 02/10/10 10:42 PM

Where's the update?

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 02/10/10 11:00 PM

It's coming. We had an accident with the camera and some of the pics but I'll be updating this one soon.

This car is in super duper glossy slick black paint now and it looks great!

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:32 PM

Wow guys! Big apologies all around. I didn't realize how far behind I was on this posting. Here they come...

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:48 PM

Where to begin... How about spring relocation and Raptor Coating.

Attached picture 5838373-52.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:49 PM

Front spring perch...

Attached picture 5838376-51.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:50 PM

Double Thickness Frame Connectors...

Attached picture 5838381-54.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:51 PM

other end

Attached picture 5838382-53.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:57 PM

Rollcage

Attached picture 5838388-41.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:58 PM

rear

Attached picture 5838390-44.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:59 PM

complete

Attached picture 5838394-46.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 05:59 PM

swing-outs

Attached picture 5838396-45.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 06:08 PM

Here we go with show quality black paint...

It still has to be cut and buffed but it's curing nicely.

Painted R/T stripe to be added.

Attached picture 5838410-47.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 06:09 PM

more paint

Attached picture 5838413-48.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/01/10 06:10 PM

roof

Attached picture 5838415-50.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/02/10 04:16 PM

other side

Attached picture 5840522-49.jpg
Posted By: Dogpro

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/02/10 10:48 PM

WOW! That looks great I bet when it gets cut and buffed it is really gonna shine keep up the updates
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 03/03/10 12:48 AM

Nice work, thanks for posting the pictures, John.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/11/10 02:52 PM

Any Updates? It's been over a month since the last updates...should be almost finished now...shouldn't it?

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/11/10 04:31 PM

Thanks for the bump Alan. This is a very special car with very special parts needs.

The owner wanted to supply all of his own parts, which we are fine with. Unfortunately, his Grandfather passed and he had to take care of his family obligations first, so the car sat and sat.

Now the parts are starting to roll in again and I'll be posting updates at the end of this week!

Maybe I'll keep you interested with a few photos of the HEMI we are building for him.

Stay Tuned...

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/11/10 05:48 PM

OK ladies and gentlemen, here we have a custom built 588 inch Fire-Breathing HEMI!!!

It has a Bryant Billet 4.675 inch stroker crank with matching steel H beam rods and custom made Venolia Forged Pistons. The bottom end is balanced up to 10,000 RPM's.

The cam is a solid lifter roller with a custom proprietary grind - Sorry, we can't reveal the specs.

When we post the dyno sheets, you'll see why.

This is going to be a pump gas screamer!

Attached picture 5919656-0_7.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/11/10 05:49 PM

How about the bottom?

Attached picture 5919661-0_3.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/11/10 05:52 PM

Cool Cam-O-Ramma...

Attached picture 5919664-0_1.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/11/10 05:53 PM

Nice cross-hatching for the Dykes Rings.

Attached picture 5919665-0_5.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/11/10 05:55 PM

Clearanced for Roller Lifters and large diameter ARP stud set. Enjoy.

Attached picture 5919667-0_4.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 03:06 AM

Quote:

We have recently made it a policy to show all of our Mopar restorations on this site....

Hey Tim! I actually went to your site to admire your work and was quickly taken back with what I found! For a brief moment I thought I had inadvertently logged onto MY website.

I certainly appreciate the fact that other people use our work/vehicles as a reference model but don't you think it is a bit misleading to advertise my car (as your work) on the cover page of your website? I can assure everyone here that you had absolutely no involvement with the restoration of my Challenger nor did you ever contact me and ask permission to use my (Challenger) under chassis photo. Besides the unethical aspect of what you are advertising, your customers should not be fooled into thinking that they will receive a job which is not representative of your work. Doing things like this can come back to affect you and your business in a negative way. You might want to remove my car from the homepage of your website! Thank you.

Dave Walden
ECS

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 04:08 AM

Dave it's a known fact that Tim and his crew do OE Quality restorations the same as your Challenger except with a more affordable price tag.
Most likely the only reason they decided to use a picture of yours is because they haven't finished an OE level Mopar yet....It's in the works

I wouldn't worry too much about the picture as 80% of it is covered up

sarcasm intended
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 09:02 AM

GOD HAS SPOKEN!!!!

Quote:

Quote:

We have recently made it a policy to show all of our Mopar restorations on this site....

Hey Tim! I actually went to your site to admire your work and was quickly taken back with what I found! For a brief moment I thought I had inadvertently logged onto MY website.

I certainly appreciate the fact that other people use our work/vehicles as a reference model but don't you think it is a bit misleading to advertise my car (as your work) on the cover page of your website? I can assure everyone here that you had absolutely no involvement with the restoration of my Challenger nor did you ever contact me and ask permission to use my (Challenger) under chassis photo. Besides the unethical aspect of what you are advertising, your customers should not be fooled into thinking that they will receive a job which is not representative of your work. Doing things like this can come back to affect you and your business in a negative way. You might want to remove my car from the homepage of your website! Thank you.

Dave Walden
ECS

Posted By: HPMike

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave Walden
ECS

I am 100% with Dave on this one. You need to take that photo off your site. It can be somewhat misleading. At the very least you should have asked his permission to use the car on the site and credited the person just the same-that is if he agreed to actually allow you to use it. I would think that even if the photo wasn't copyrighted, it would be the "right thing to do", to ask the persons permission to use it.

MB
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave Walden
ECS

I am 100% with Dave on this one. You need to take that photo off your site. It can be somewhat misleading. At the very least you should have asked his permission to use the car on the site and credited the person just the same-that is if he agreed to actually allow you to use it. I would think that even if the photo wasn't copyrighted, it would be the "right thing to do", to ask the persons permission to use it.

MB

Wow! I'm really surprised he would use your photo...

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! *DELETED* - 04/16/10 04:32 PM

Post deleted by DLW 4 REAL
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 05:34 PM

this might get fun to watch!!!!

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 06:12 PM

My apologies to Dave and anyone else offended by the photo.

As indicated in several postings, the website is a work in progress that I've just started working on and I did not intend for anyone to think that we were trying to take credit for Dave's work at ECS.

It was a bad choice of photos to use as a "holder" spot on the home page. The package I'm using to create the site required a very specific size photo to fill the home page and it was the first one I found that was that size. I admire Dave's work and that photo is the background on my own personal computer.

We are documentaing all of our restoration work on this site and this site only. We are not listed in any search engines yet. Anyone who saw our site would have had to come using the links on my postings here and I don't think that anyone on here doesn't know Dave's work. (PS. Dave, I think if you'll check your emails from the past, you'll find me complementing you on your work on more than one occasion.)

I'm pulling the photo now.

There is no excuse for using Dave's photo except that I thought I'd replace it with one of ours right away. It was the only photo of any kind on the site as I just had not gotten back to it.

I've had to move my parents from FL into Memory Care and Assisted Living here in GA and on my way back, I just got word last night that my sister-in-law was found dead in Sacramento, CA.

I have a month or more of photos to post here as soon as time allows.

Thanks to all for understanding.

Tim

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 04/16/10 07:43 PM

Hi Tim,
I hate to hear about the tough times you are going through. I pray that everything will go well with you and your family. I want to say that I am humbled that you used my car but I was blindsided by the news because you didn't let me know about it. You are more than welcome to any pictures that will help you or your company. If you would be kind enough to give me a heads up I have no problem with that whatsoever. You would not believe how many of my products and company correspondence have been pirated by people that I do not even know. It has become a touchy subject around here for me and my employees. (Anyone remember the recent ordeal where a guy tried to tell everyone that HE was manufacturing our VIN decals for us? Unbelievable!)

Again, I don't mind if you use our photos to convey a MOPAR type of restoration theme on your site. You can never tell a person's intent until they have made it known! Thanks for coming here to explain this and I wish you the best with everything going on in your life. If I can ever be of assistance with anything please let me know. Take care, be careful and have a good weekend Tim!!

DW

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:04 PM

Back to business.

Here are some pics of the spring relocation...

Attached picture 5972876-51.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:05 PM

and the back end...

Attached picture 5972879-52.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:06 PM

Frame connectors, double heavy duty...

Attached picture 5972882-53.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:07 PM

and the front...

Attached picture 5972883-54.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:08 PM

Purpose built rear end to take the pressure...

Attached picture 5972886-62.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:09 PM

Lunch box...

Attached picture 5972887-61.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:10 PM

Front suspension...

Attached picture 5972890-58.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:11 PM

A little extra stopping power...

Attached picture 5972892-57.jpg

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/09/10 06:18 PM

Anyway, for those of you who haven't seen this thread or who we haven't spoken with about it, this is our American Super Car build.

For the same labor cost as our regular rotisserie build, we will build you a custom Mopar in your favorite body style, that will meet or surpass your every dream for a street car.

We even helped this customer buy the car that we started with by going to inspect the car before he purchased it and then we picked the car up and delivered it to our shop at no charge to the customer.

This bad boy is designed to keep up with absolutely anything on any road or track and make minced meat of the competition.

Give me a call and let us Design/Build your very own American Super Car!

Tim 404-234-1000

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/15/10 03:54 PM

Just a bump to let you know that we're planning to jump back on this one for a little while and get the paint finished.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/15/10 04:43 PM

I am wondering how well the front shock towers are going to hold up. They were not designed for Macpherson struts.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/15/10 09:15 PM

Those are coil-over shocks, not struts.

This is what the customer bought for his resto-mod and these parts were made specifically for this car. I'm pretty sure I've seen a number of manufacterers selling torsion bar to coil-over suspension conversion kits. This is just another one of them. So, I can only assume that they've been tested by the people who build and sell them.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/16/10 02:02 AM

I can't tell by the picture you posted, is the top of the shock mounted in the original position or does it mount to a special bracket that bolts to the K-Frame?
Posted By: JimDiesel

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/17/10 08:59 PM

Just a heads up for your client.

My car had a coil-over conversion from Magnum Force that mounted to the stock shock mounts and now it has bent inner fenders.

It has been returned to torsion bars, but the damage has been done.

Without bracing the inner fender you will end up with the same result.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 12:31 AM

You guys both make good points when you stop to think about it.

I'll definitely pass along the comments, if he hasn't already seen them.

Thanks.
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 01:56 AM

Tim,
I have seen a number of these coil over set-ups that were not braced and they created a myriad of problems; cracked welds at the bottom of the shock tower, bent inner fenders etc.
Without front strut bars this WILL create a problem, especially on a street car. This really opens you up to a lot of liability, too. As a business owner you obviously do not want this! Anything, other than stock parts, requires a lot of research despite all the claims of "bolt on"!!
Nice car, by the way.
Paul

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 05:08 PM

Thanks Paul.

I've spoken with the customer and he's going to do quite a bit more research before going forward with the suspension.

We're going to finish the body and paint for him and then he's going to take over from there.

It's really important that he is sure about the suspension and it's really important to us to be able to show off our show quality black paint job on this big coke bottle shaped beast!

The car is getting a Scorch Red R/T stripe painted on this week and we'll be posting photos of the finished paint job soon after.

We're very proud of the job we did on this car and we hope you guys will all be pleased with what you see when the paint is buffed out!
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 05:57 PM

If I may ask, when using this style front suspension. What keeps the lower control arm on the bushing?

The bushing is just pressed in the lower arm and is designed to have some forward pressure on it from the torsion bar to keep it from backing out
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 09:57 PM

Good point about the bushing!
This is VERY important if using the poly bushing vs the stock press in bushing.
I've seen some guys weld and extension onto the pivot shaft, then weld a large washer on the end of it around the circular base in the control arm. While this does work, I would Tig this area, due to the possible stress incurred.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 10:22 PM

Does it use a factory lower control arm?
Can you take some close up pictures of the complete front suspension?

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 10:27 PM

Coilovers and tubular control arms came as a set.

I'll post the manufacterer tomorrow and you can check out their site.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/18/10 11:33 PM

Mr. Dodge,
What front end kit did you buy?

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/19/10 02:40 AM

Hi Im the owner of the R/T, So far Im VERY pleased with the way Mike, And Hubert have progressed with the car.... I've seen the car in person on the rotisserie and she looked GREAT!!!! I couldn't have been more pleased. I'm looking forward to getting the car home so I can finish her up

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/19/10 02:56 PM

http://www.bobsprofab.com/

Here's the site for the manufacturer of the front suspension.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/19/10 07:08 PM

Quote:

"This kit is designed for lightweight race cars"

Kinda says it all

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/19/10 08:22 PM

Compare your front end to an AlterKtion kit. The one you used would be acceptable for a static display car, but not something driven on the street. All show and no go.

Installation manual and information booklet.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/19/10 08:45 PM

We're taking at look at our current policy to use the parts that the customer supplies. This is a good example of why we shouldn't have that policy for every car.

It's pretty much fine when we are doing a factory restoration but, not on a resto-mod.

This customer has decided to take over the job once we finish the paint work.

I'm sure he is going to check and recheck everything before making a final decision on whether to use the suspension as is, modify it, go back to the factory suspension or to use something else completely different. At this point, we are only responsible for the body and paint work. The owner has taken responsibility for the rest.

Please stay tuned as the Scorch Red R/T stripe is being painted today and photos will be available soon.

Regardless of anything else, this car will showcase our ability to produce a super slick, black mirror finish.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/19/10 10:08 PM

This is from your first post on this thread.

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, here we go...

This week, we picked up a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T for our customer and brought it to the shop.

We are transforming this muscle car into a fire breathing beast, suitable for street cruising, Chevy and Ford destroying stop light runs or to be at home at any drag strip. We call it the AMERICAN SUPER CAR.

We're doing a full rotisserie job on the body with super slick, mirror finish, black paint.

Suspension, traction and braking are all aftermarket improvements.

AND, last but far from least, we are building a 588 inch HEMI to custom specs to get the job done!

The customer has procured a special, purpose built Keisler 5 speed and a custom Dana from our vendors.

We offer this type of build for any kind of car in addition to our factory style restorations.

If I were you I would be looking into my liability in regards to the safety concerns associated with this car. It seems to me you are walking a very high wire without a safety net. You did install the front suspension, regardless of who supplied it.

When someone gives you a hand grenade, you assume full responsibly for the results when you pull the pin.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/19/10 10:32 PM

Point well taken Snoopy.

We will carefully and safely unravel the deal but I doubt that the details will be posted here.

Thanks.
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/20/10 03:26 AM

nice build. I am partial to 69 R/T's would love to see it when completed. maybe in South Dakota?

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/21/10 03:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"This kit is designed for lightweight race cars"

Kinda says it all

I spoke with Bob first and it was quite a lengthy discussion about this and he assured me that I shouldn't have a problem running this suspension. I'll get Bob to chime in.

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 05/21/10 05:20 PM

Painted Scorch Red R/T Stripe... Curing until ready to cut and buff the car to a slick mirror finish.

Attached picture 5995376-63.jpg
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 09/02/10 05:18 AM

news?

Re: AMCR - AMERICAN SUPER CAR Build !!! - 09/04/10 01:10 AM

The customer is fine with the front suspension and we are not.

The customer has changed his priorities and the car will be going back to him unfinished with him assuming full responsibility for the suspension.
© 2024 Moparts Forums