Moparts

PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use?

Posted By: CaptainGTX

PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 03:07 AM

I just received a set of new seat belts for my 69 GTX from PG Classic. Included in the packaging was a disclaimer that said "ALL seat belts manufactured by PG Classis(sic) or B/E & A Restoration Parts, inc.(sic) and/or distributed by their dealers are for static display and not intended as a DOT certified & tested safety device."

I understand their desire to limit their liability, but it certainly calls into question the safety of their product & potentially undermines their functionality. Would be interested in other's thoughts. Would you install them or send them back?
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 03:11 AM

Sounds to me they are just telling they are not DOT certified...

Most likely because the DOT certification is an expensive and lengthy process.

Just my $0.01...
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 03:22 AM

I have a set of there belts in my 68 GTX. Very nice set, well made. I think the lawyers are just covering there butt. It's a lot of money to get your item DOT certified
Posted By: Ashsdad

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 03:56 AM

Certification of safety equipment involves a series of crash tests and very involved component level testing. Not something most of our repro parts suppliers have the funding to support.
We employ an entire legal department to fight the multitudes of lawsuits that being in the safety business breeds. Hence the reason there are only 4 or 5 major suppliers of OEM safety restraints.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 06:08 AM

if you hit something hard enough that the seat belt rips youre gonna be in deep caca anyway.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 09:47 AM

Quote:

if you hit something hard enough that the seat belt rips youre gonna be in deep caca anyway.

Eeeek! So I guess that would be the question, is it at 25 mph or 80 mph?
Gee, there are some questions you just don't want planted in your brain.
Posted By: moparo

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 01:39 PM

How many of us would send our belts out to have the buckles removed and restiched etc. Do you have them inspected? I didn't think so. Yes PG have a great product lets not raise the flag if there even is one to raise.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/24/09 03:07 PM

This brings the question, will new redone belts work better than 35 year old belts that have been sitting in the sun with coffee and coke stains rotting inside them?
I think the repop belts will be just fine. I do not want to be the crash test dummy to test them.
I wonder if I could use all the bubble wrap my parts are coming in for an add on air bag?????
Craig
Posted By: sthemi

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/25/09 06:20 AM

Another point is ,
How well will the newly stamped floors that are butt welded or patched in hold the seat belt mountings in a crash? Or the frame rails that a friend welded in?
Really,
I would trust a new belt as least as much as a 40 plus year old piece of cloth...
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/25/09 11:19 AM

Quote:

How many of us would send our belts out to have the buckles removed and restiched etc. Do you have them inspected? I didn't think so. Yes PG have a great product lets not raise the flag if there even is one to raise.

You're right, I actually would trust the new over the old.

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/25/09 09:19 PM

Decided to send the seat belts back - but for a different reason. The quality appears excellent and I think they are probably at least as safe to use as the old ones. The color is off - at least compared to my originals & the rest of the interior. The new belts are an olive green, not the forest green of the originals.

This leads me to wonder if Dodge & Plymouth had two different interpretations of dark metallic green. My car is a 69 GTX (never any rust in floor pans - so that's not a concern). Anyone know definatively whether or not there were two different greens, depending on the make?
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/27/09 12:20 PM

Get a set or at lease check from Bill- 69440 He restores originals with nos fabric?
Posted By: lakerism

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/27/09 03:57 PM

What are you guys worried about? NOBODY wore their seetbelts AT ALL back in the day and we lived to tell about it, so why so worry now when our cars rarely get driven today in comparison.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/27/09 04:45 PM

I have a set of Bills and they are very nice!

I havent put them into the car yet but they look great and I cant wait until the day I can bolt them in.
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/28/09 06:07 AM

Another vote for Bill (Moparts member 69 440), very nice product and EXCELLENT service!
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 11/29/09 12:31 AM

To my knowledge, (which is primarily 70-74) Dodge & Plymouth colors that share the same paint code (for example FY1, FJ5, EF8, etc.) are the exact same color on a Dodge & a Plymouth, even though the color names are different. (lemon twist vs top banana, plum crazy vs In violet mettalic, etc.)

Sometimes a color changed from year to year, but this results in a different paint code, for example EB5 vs GB5.

Tav
Posted By: mopargem

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 12/09/09 04:19 AM

I just received set for the 69 Bee today,they are from Bill in TN and they look great.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 12/09/09 06:10 PM

If the belts are made in China I would not use them. Simple as that.

Sheldon
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 12/09/09 10:18 PM

Quote:

so why so worry now when our cars rarely get driven today in comparison.

I don't know, maybe because some of us drive our old cars and put a lot of miles on them. The car my brother's building is going to be a daily driver and it was missing the belts when he bought it. I use mine as a daily driver and my belts are ugly faded...
Posted By: fastmark

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 12/10/09 04:49 AM

What is Bills contact info. I can't find it on the user list.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 12/10/09 01:00 PM

Bill Edwards beewagon69@yahoo.com 931-703-8666 moparts members get 10% discount
Posted By: OLD318

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 12/11/09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Included in the packaging was a disclaimer that said "ALL seat belts manufactured by PG Classis(sic) or B/E & A Restoration Parts, inc.(sic) and/or distributed by their dealers are for static display and not intended as a DOT certified & tested safety device."

AHHHH The Evil L word....

In this day and age, that is a very WISE disclaimer for PG to use.

Frankly, I am surprised anybody touched reproducing seat belts or seat tracks for that matter. Even steering wheels surprise me.

Why? The Liability greatly outweighs the potential profit to be gained.

So I don't have a problem with the
disclaimer(s) per se.

WITH ONE BIG EXCEPTION!!!

It should be displayed prominently on the website.
On the product being viewed.
The buyer should have the right to see this disclaimer BEFORE making a purchase.
They should even have a checkbox at the time of purchase...
basically signing a waiver...

The buyer should not get this disclaimer in the box AFTER he's paid for them... with no knowledge prior...

Is this what happended?

IF it is, shame on them... that is dilberate.
If it is not... then I have no problem...

For people who restore seat belts..
I would also advise them to have a HUGE DISCLAIMER
on their shipped product. Otherwise they are leaving themselves WIDE OPEN for a lawsuit....

It pains me to say that but it is absolutely true..

Why do you think most collision shops won't touch an old car? They touch it, they are liable.
Frame shops? 99% won't touch an old mopar for the same reason... they "straigten it" they are liable...

Helping your buddy with his old car?
DON'T!
He gets in a wreck... you could be liable!

Best of luck to you

My

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 12/11/09 05:05 PM

Just to answer your direct question, there was no disclaimer on PG's website, nor was it mentioned when I placed the order. The first time I saw it was when I opened the box containing the seat belts. I was surprised to see it & it got me wondering how safe the belts might be.

Inspecting the belts thoroughly set my mind somewhat at ease, since they appeared to be constructed as well and as of the same material as the originals. PG agreed to take them back, although I would have kept them if the color had matched the rest of my interior.

Bill Edwards (mentioned elsewhere in this string) confirms there were in fact two different greens used in 69 Plymouth & Dodge B-bodies. He has indicated he can fix me up, but is out of the darker green material at the moment.

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.
Posted By: red dart

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 06:16 PM

I too would be concerned, as I am going to start looking for a new set of belts for my 69 dart. Can anyone tell me if these parts are made in Canada (PG classics) or do they come from China to Canada? Also, do you guys know of any other company out there that make replica belts

thanks
Posted By: Kowal

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 06:54 PM

A friend of mine drove my RR a little bit ago. He asked if he should wear the shoulder belt. I said he could do whatever he wanted, but reminded him that in a bad enough accident, he would be first impaled on the barely collapsable steering column before much else happened!

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 07:17 PM

I got a set for my GTX from them. There actually made by BE/A in Canada. The only thing made in Canada by PG Classics is money. Just got there new catolog in the mail. It was mailed direct from China. The belts are really nice and color matched perfect. They were super quaility. Beware what you by from PG Classics though. 99% of there stuff is cheap China crap. Better then nothing but if there is another company around for the part you want i'd go with them.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 07:57 PM

Quote:

I got a set for my GTX from them. There actually made by BE/A in Canada. The only thing made in Canada by PG Classics is money. Just got there new catolog in the mail. It was mailed direct from China. The belts are really nice and color matched perfect. They were super quaility. Beware what you by from PG Classics though. 99% of there stuff is cheap China crap. Better then nothing but if there is another company around for the part you want i'd go with them.

This stuff is one and the same.... AFAIK

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 08:41 PM

Not true. PG does sell some stuff from BE/A but they are not the same company. Most of PG products are shipped direct from China. I bought a good size order from them. Most of it was shipped to me right from China. Most of it was of poor quailty. Better then nothing but i learned my lesson. I'll do more home work before buying repop parts.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 09:58 PM

Gosh I heard the sky was falling the other day too...

Theres only a few options regarding seat belts in old Mopars. Buy repops, use originals, reweb originals, or buy new non factory looking belts (either racing, or 3 pt style). Its obvious they did not want the headaches and expenses of getting DOT certs on a reproduction part. Be glad they even make the belts. Did it ever cross anyones mind that they may be stronger than the old belts too? As stated above if you're in a wreck bad enough to break seat belts then you're probably not going to walk away regardless of which belt option you have. I for one am very grateful that BEA repops a set of belts for 69 RR that are new and look like the originals.

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 10:20 PM

The BE/A belts are excellent. I have a set. They fit perfect and color was right on. My post was as to PG Classics. They sell the BE/A belts so why not just get them from BE/A? My post was a opion on the quaility of PG Classics. What they drop ship from others such as BE/A are mostly great. The stuff they make is pretty poor quaility. There a China Company not Canada. T here newe catolog showed up here yesterday from Jintow China not Canada.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/02/10 11:30 PM

My new catalogue was from China as well.
The seat belts I bought from PG for my boss's Challenger had Chinese heiroglyphics all over the package...appeard to have been direct shipped to me from Dong Long (or is that "Long D...g ) China.
The belts looked and fit great. Didn't see any disclaimers in the package, but that was a year ago...maybe they're smarter now and covering their butts.
I need some red belts for my GTX....I'll phone BE/A first since the concensus of opinion is the product seems better.

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 12:23 AM

That's the best way to asure a good product. Like i said i got mine from PG Classics but when i open the box the instruction sheet said BE/A right on it. Perhaps they use several outside vendors?
Posted By: Mopar1

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 12:49 AM

Quote:

I too would be concerned, as I am going to start looking for a new set of belts for my 69 dart. Can anyone tell me if these parts are made in Canada (PG classics) or do they come from China to Canada? Also, do you guys know of any other company out there that make replica belts

thanks

Both PG Classics (CAN) and B E/A (USA) are China supplied.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 01:48 AM

Quote:

Not true. PG does sell some stuff from BE/A but they are not the same company. Most of PG products are shipped direct from China. I bought a good size order from them. Most of it was shipped to me right from China. Most of it was of poor quailty. Better then nothing but i learned my lesson. I'll do more home work before buying repop parts.

I didn't mean that they are the same company, but that they do sell the exact same parts. You get the same stuff regardless which you order from.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 01:55 AM

It was my understanding that BE/A sells the the trademarked items and PC Classics does not. Maybe Chrysler requires higher quality parts when they come with Chrysler markings?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 02:00 AM

Quote:

Maybe Chrysler requires higher quality parts when they come with Chrysler markings?

I think the biggest requirement is that your check clears....
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 03:04 AM

I think it helps if you can speak and understand Italian.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 03:08 AM

Guido Meet Wayne.. Wayne.. Guido...
Posted By: rtmike

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 09:08 PM

So let me get this sraight, the seat belts from China are no good, but the other 22 million products that come from there are not?

Don't forget all those recalld Toyotas were built in the USA! I am all for buying American, but prior to someone pushing the Snake Oyl option on seatbelts, to redo a set of seatbelts was like $1000, now they are less then $400. I doubt the Snake Oyl belts were DOT certified either. I bought the PG Classics belts, and they are a good product.
Posted By: thebankerstoy

Re: PG Classic Seat Belts - Safe to Use? - 04/03/10 10:03 PM

I have purchased parts from both P.G. Classic and B/E&A and I've been very happy with everything that I've purchased from both companies, but I've gotten to know Mike Ross, who owns B/E&A and he is a TOP QUALITY guy who WILL give you top quality parts and FANTASTIC customer service! When you call B/E&A, you talk to the guy in charge, when you call P.G. Classic, or most other Mopar suppliers, you talk to whoever answers the phone and while most of us here know that Mike is a true Mopar enthusiast, I really can't say that about everybody that I've talked to at P.G. Classic and some of the other Mopar suppliers that I've dealt with over the years. If Mike wouldn't put a part that he sells on one of his own cars, he will NOT sell it to you, period!

For example, I've purchased one of Mike's 66-67 black reproduction dash pads and one of his reproduction black plastic 1967-69 three spoke steering wheels for my 1966 Coronet 500 and both of those parts are absolutely BEAUTIFUL and are of a better quality that the original factory parts were!

Would I buy a set of Mike's seat belts for my car now that he is going to produce them? YES, because I TRUST Mike and KNOW that he won't sell me sub standard parts.

Richard
© 2024 Moparts Forums