Moparts

power steering pump cap color??69 charger

Posted By: Brian_E

power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 08/31/09 04:40 AM

what color is the power steering cap supposed to be ? i have seen and read black, i have seen metal color o top of the black pump housing? wondering which is correct or most correct. ???
Posted By: maximus

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/02/09 12:06 PM

I restored an original 69 R/T and it was bare metal.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/02/09 12:28 PM

When did Mopar switch from the metal power steering caps to the plastic power steering caps?

Tav
Posted By: terzmo

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/02/09 02:39 PM

mine is all black
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/02/09 04:20 PM

Quote:

When did Mopar switch from the metal power steering caps to the plastic power steering caps?

Tav

The plastic cap is used with the Saginaw pump which I think appeared in 69.. I thought 68 was the last year of the Federal pump but it appears there was some cross over... FWIW I'm most knowledgable on 70 E body stuff & I've been getting educated on 68 B body since I got my Coronet R/T... Waiting for a 69 guru to show.. Doug? Are ya out there?? 69CoronetRT Hello?
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/02/09 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tav

The plastic cap is used with the Saginaw pump which I think appeared in 69.. I thought 68 was the last year of the Federal pump but it appears there was some cross over...

Parts manual and service manual show a cross over in 69.

It appears there were metal caps on the 'round' neck pumps and plastic on the 'oval' neck pumps.

FWIW..my Nov 68 STL built Coronet R/T has the oval pump.
Posted By: RJS

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/03/09 12:28 AM

I followed what a guy I know had on a low mileage Daytona, Mine had a little black on it but couldn't be trusted. Here's a shot after the resto... see picture:

Attached picture 5458372-IMG_0041(Large).JPG
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/03/09 12:59 AM

Ron, is your cap metal or plastic?

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/03/09 01:13 AM

Doug it's a metal cap with 2 ears... Ron
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/03/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

Ron, is your cap metal or plastic?

thats the saginaw pump, cap is/should be plastic - I think so anyway. maybe it's the replacement caps are / were plastic. The one on my former cahllenger was plastic and believed to be the original saginaw pump
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/03/09 01:29 AM

If you have the Federal pump,it is bare metal.
In this pic of some of my NOS stash,is the p.s. cap I scored.It is on the left...

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/03/09 01:32 AM

Quote:

If you have the Federal pump,it is bare metal.
In this pic of some of my NOS stash,is the p.s. cap I scored.It is on the left...

I agree that the cap you have pictured is supposed to be bare, the style I have is black. Now as to the cap being metal or plastic I'll have to look at it tomorrow... Ron
Posted By: 440fied

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/06/09 04:41 AM

Original cap off of a 69 coronet with the oval neck pump. St. Louis car with a SPD of 228.

Posted By: rrunner

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/06/09 05:17 AM

NOS or replacement caps for the federal's and TRW's would be bare, production line were black as they were painted on the pumps.
Posted By: rrunner

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/06/09 05:21 AM

Quote:

Original cap off of a 69 coronet with the oval neck pump. St. Louis car with a SPD of 228.

That is a early metal saginaw cap, painted black is also correct for it. Don't know when the saginaw cap went to plastic, but it is also black. So no matter what pump/cap you have black is correct.

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/06/09 10:55 PM

Checked my cap and it is metal like the one in rrunner post above and painted black... Ron
Posted By: Brian_E

Re: power steering pump cap color??69 charger - 09/08/09 12:52 AM

guys thanks to you all for the detailed info and pics. outstanding and greatly appreciated!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums